Bandi Chorr Divas + Diva?

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

wjkk wjkf

i have been somewhat confused in regards to this topic, is it right when ppl light diva's ( no not VH1 divas but those india style candle thingies) near the nishaan sahib at the gurdwara on bandi chorr divas?

like in the past i have ridiculed my mom about it, but now im also not quite so sure, like when guru hargobind sahib ji was coming back from the jail on vaisakhi day, ppl lit diveh in kushi ( happiness) as well as to light their way back home, to show their joy at seeing their guru return..now i dont know, the diveh can be a symbol of happiness...but it also can be confusing to the other ppl around us ( ie christians, jews, muslims etc) as being a " festival of lights"

now i know that some thigns do overlap and if we do use something that say another religion uses doesnt mean its wrong ie if hindus use thouf and we use thouf doesnt mean we have to stop cus hindus are using it, we use it in diff methods ie we dont do pooja etc like they do..

so anyway, does any gurmukh out there know the answer to this?

is it just a weird cultural tradition that ppl have created like on rakhri day where women matha tek a rakhri to guru granth sahib ji ( sad) or is it actually ok?

i know i will get many diff responses to this but i know the users of this forum after being on it for so long now and i think god will give me the appropriate answer from some gursikh on here:)

wjkk wjkf

The light represents the 'akaal'........I think you know who that was.....the one who freed the kings....the one who was the one........and I am not a (14 line, fifth word)......you make alot of sense in all of your post.....but we must remember, it's not for the wrong reasons.....the reason why 'indian' style is being used is cus its pure.......you can ridicule you mom all you like.....listen to your parents....not society....and you know who your real parents are...

Rab iss diwali nu sahrehaan nu khushi bakshe.....

Fateh parwaan karro jiyo,

Light the diya of HIS NAAM within yourself. May I repeat theShabad that many Ragis recite on Diwali ‘ Diwali ki raat deewe baaliyan’ is oneof the Vaars recited by Bhai Gurdas Ji. In this Vaar Bhai Sahib illustrates thetemporariness of everything. The last line of the Vaar gives the true meaningof this Vaar.

A rich man and a poor man lit a diya under a pipal tree. Therich man seeing the poor man lighting his diya started berating him that howdare he light the diya under the same tree. After they left the rich man’s claydiya insulted the poor man’s clay diya saying , ‘I’ve been made with the bestclay and painted golden, whereas you are a rejected piece that the potter threwaway and the poor man picked up.” The flames in both the diyas tried to stopthe fight. Then the wick in the rich man’s diya took over shouting at the wickin the poor man’s diya, “ I’ve been made by the best cotton and rolled by softhands, whereas you’ve been made with cotton that was thrown away after somequilt was de-stuffed and you’ve been rolled by the coarse hands of this poorman’s wife.” Again the flames in both he diyas tried to drill some sense but tono avail. Now the oil in the rich man’s diya took over and shouted ,” I comefrom the best mustard seeds and have been collected in jars, whereas youspilled onto the ground and this poor man collected you in a tin.” Again the flames tired to intervene but to noavail.

A Sage was sitting on the other side of the tree and hesaid, “ Now I know why they say chiraag ke neeche andhera.’ The brought boththe diyas together and enjoined their wicks.

Guru Rakha

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

interesting views,and good ones too... anyone else got more on this? anyone got any other shabads or even anything they have heard in katha etc?

i know when i go to gurd tonight theres going to be a lot of diveh, what to do? join in and watch or stand back and matha tek and go home?

There is debate on what date Shri Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee returned home, some say it was quite a bit after the traditional Diwali date (when Sri Raam Chandr Jee are believed to have returned home from 14 years of exile. In any case, it's just a diva, I fail to see what the big deal is.

To throw out something just because it seems to be similar to our Hindu brothers seems very childish to me.

There is debate on what date Shri Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee returned home, some say it was quite a bit after the traditional Diwali date (when Sri Raam Chandr Jee are believed to have returned home from 14 years of exile. In any case, it's just a diva, I fail to see what the big deal is.

To throw out something just because it seems to be similar to our Hindu brothers seems very childish to me.

Fateh parwaan karro jiyo,

Bandi Chhor Diwas (Diwali) is the anniversary of Guru Hargobind ji being released from the prison at Gwalior Fort. In was on this day in 1619 A D. The kind Guru ji refused to leave the fort of his own and demanded release of other 52 Hindu Rajas. The Moghuls being the cunning rulers they were, decided on a compromise. They said all the Maharajas that can hold onto your Chowla (gown) could walk out free along side you. The Sikhs smartly made a special Chowla with 50 long strips and all the prisoners walked free. Guru Hargobind ji is known as Bandhi Chhorbecause the imprisoned ones (Bandhi) were released (Chhor) by Him. Upon their return to Amritsar grand celebrations were held. Harmandir Sahib ji (Golden Temple) was illuminated and fireworks were displayed. Gurbani Kirtan (Hymns) and prayers were performed. (Source Gateway to Sikhism).

Today Diwali has degenerated into a festival of gambling, drinking, one-upmanship and pollution (including noise). If a Sikh wants to celebrate then celebrate it as the Festival of lights. Light the Diya of naam in your heart. No problem in receiving and giving gifts , but please do remember what is the use of giving to those who have all the goodies? Why not strike a balance and decide that if I give say Rs. 20,000 worth of gifts to family and friends then I will give at least Rs. 5000 to the needy.

Happy Diwali,Apni pocket gareebo ke liye karro khaali. The poor say 'paiso waalon ki hothi hai Diwali'!'Paiso ke intezaar mein humm ne toh diwali janam se hai taali'! Giving to those who already have it all is simply not done!And remember Diwali is celebrated because over evil goodness won. So when you booze and play cards remember whose side you are on,And ultimately who won. So that you do not become a donkey in the next birth you do not have to become one in this one!But that does not mean do not have fun. Celebrate so that you feel good from inside,You feel from inside that you are on goodness's side. Bring in spirituality into your Diwali,Without HIS naam Diwali in actuality despite all the lights is kaali. Happy Diwali once again,May your Diwali be such that HIS blessings you are able to gain!

Guru Rakha