Cut-sikh Who Wants To Sport The Turban Again

Guest revelation

Guest revelation

Hello all,

I am posting this since I need guidance, guidance from the utmost pragmatic point of view. I am a Sikh who has very strong connections with his heritage and history. My lineage goes back to our Gurus.

Last year, I cut my hair, I'll leave the details out, since I don't think they are required and most of us know why.

But I've felt for the past few months, that maybe, I made a mistake. I feel like I've betrayed my forefathers, our Gurus, my father, my grandfather, who gave me this beautiful opportunity and gave me the opportunity to come into this world as a Sikh.

For all my forefathers have fought for, I let it all go, just for my convenience. I feel it was very selfish on my part and I want to wear a turban, to mark my identity as a Sikh in this crowd of millions.

But I face a very strong force, urge, to not do so.

I want to wear the turban again, to be known for who I am.

How many of you feel its the right thing to do? Even if I don't grow my hair again.

If you want to be known as a Sikh, don't just tie dastaar, let your beautiful kesh grow too. It has a meaning, you know.. Why else did the human ancestors suddenly get long hair if it didn't serve any purpose?

But without kesh, there's really no use tieing turban. It would just be a decoration.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki fateh!

its not a joke or something. people gave their heads in order to keep their kesh. and you seeem to understand this, idk y u just dont go back to who u used to be, who you really are.

how can a lion be called a lion without his mane?? think about it bro.

Guest revelation

Thanks for the replies. I do plan to keep a beard but do not plan to keep long hair since it was very hard for me to manage it earlier and I don't see how it'll get any easier now.

Isn't the Turban a garb for identity of Sikhs? Was it not the reason that our 10th Guru wanted us to wear the Turban?

When our Guru sacrificed himself and nobody came forward when they asked a True Gursikh to step forward? Our 10th Guru gave the Turban as an identity so we may not hide and be known for who we are, with pride.

And that is my basic point of wearing the Turban, to live for what my forefathers have fought for and not let it go in vain.

Guest revelation

@shastr - Self sacrifice involves alot of courage, to let oneself not be affected by the outside world, to give up all worldly comforts and surrender oneself to the lord is the ultimate sacrifice and it takes time and courage. I am trying to attain that the best I can.

im a little confused by reading your post, do you want to keep your kesh and tie a turban just because you want to be known as a sikh or to progress spiritually? i'd suggest you start doing nitnem regurlary to get rid of your doubts coz imo theres no point in just tying a turban and not doing other necessary things that you need to do to progress in your sikhi.

@shastr - Self sacrifice involves alot of courage, to let oneself not be affected by the outside world, to give up all worldly comforts and surrender oneself to the lord is the ultimate sacrifice and it takes time and courage. I am trying to attain that the best I can.

I applaud you for taking the time out to make this thread and explain your feelings. Do what you feel is right. If you cannot keep hair right now, fine. If you can keep a beard (weather its neatly trimmed or the full monty) and wear the turban. Thats great. Its very very rare for people to think about dharma (religion) after they cut their hair, they usually go anti-gurmakh

The sikh kaum is going through very hard times. I myself was once amrithari, but I feel even though i do paat keep my turban (its shrunken down alot over the years) and I have a trimmed beard. Even though I love sikhi its as much as I can do right now.

What I am trying to get at is follow your heart. I hope I can keep my kesh for the rest of my life and god gives me the strength. For some people to actually listen to their guilt after cutting their hair I actually respect that and I would encourage you to wear the distaar with a beard :)

Many people cut their hair to fit it and ignore their inner feelings of guilt and get on with their lives. So bro do what you have to do otherwise you are lying to your self. Your inner soul is crying at you so please listen to it.

A true person should not have to hide his religion from no one, and if just keeping the turban and beard is all you can do for now. I am happy for you and you should do it with no fear bro.

Just remember it takes strength to become a full amrithari and not all of us are that strong. So people that have posted please do not disrespect the thread maker as he is trying and making a effort, better than all those mona sikhs out there that dont even go gurdwara ! I hope my post helps, just my 2 cent

The turban is not the property of the Sikhs. Anyone can wear one.

You are correct in your general observation. However, it just so happens that the query and thread is specifically about the "Sikh turban" not just any turban.

rough analogy---Clothes are not property of the police. Anyone can wear clothes. --------That may be true, however "police clothes" are only worn by police officers.