Question About Chandi Di Vaar

ruben360

Can you tell me what tym should we do Chandi di vaar. I think i have read in Sant Harnam Singh ji book that if u start Chandi di vaar after rehraas than it should continue all throughout the night.

But what about the day time. What tym can we do this?

to be honest you should only read this if you are tyar bar tyar singh, and not arrrm sangat. But.....never read in daytime always read amrtivela not when it is daylight, read as part of your nitnem, and have a glass of water near when you read it.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Baba Harnam Singh Ji Rampur Khera was a Brahmgyani so if he says we should continuously recite Chandi Di Vaar throughout the night if we start reading the Bani after Rehraas Sahib then I will agree with him. He has much more knowledge then a moorakh like me and i am nothing compared to someone as great as him. I recently bought the book Say Kaneiya and plan on reading it myself soon.

But I have never heard of this glass of water thing. In my opinion this is nothing but superstition and has no place in Sikhi.

If you mean that we should read Bani while preparing our food then that is completely different and I agree with that but if you are saying that Chandi Di Vaar shouldn't be read without a glass of water beside you then I'm sorry but I just cant believe that. Instead of reading Bani to improve our lives, become closer to Waheguru, and become better Sikhs we are instead bring all these superstitions and rituals into Sikhi.

If you can direct me to some Katha done on the issue by a Gursikh with a lot of knowledge or if you can enlighten me yourself then I will gladly apologize for saying that.

If I have offended you or anyone else I sincerely apologize. I am after all the biggest moorakh on these forums.

Taken from Se Kinehiya:

CORRECT TIME FOR THE PRAYER CALLED CHANDI

DI VAAR

Baba Ji used to recite the prayer called Chandi di Vaar daily, as part of his Nitnem. This is a prayer composed by the tenth Guru, describing a battle between demons and the Goddess called Chandi. It is usually recited by Sikhs during war. Many a time, a question would arise in his mind as to, how many times and at what time one should recite the prayer of Chandi di Vaar? Baba Ji asked many Saints and sadhus regarding this question, but could not get a satisfactory answer.

One evening, at his room in the fields, after reciting the evening prayer of Rehras, Baba Ji went on to recite the prayer of Chandi di Vaar. After completing this prayer, he prepared to retire by saying his last prayer of Sohila. It was a moonlit night and the doors of the room in which he was sitting, were open. As he had just lain down, he noticed two men approaching at a short distance. Baba Ji thought to himself, that if these pedestrians were just travellers, he would offer them food and shelter for the night and if they were robbers, then he would challenge them in combat. No sooner had this thought entered his mind, than miraculously one of the Singh’s came beside him and grabbed his feet. The other one seized Baba Ji’s head and pinned him down onto the bed. Baba Ji used to tell us, ‘‘I was unable to move from the bed. A thought entered my mind that these two, who have moved faster than the speed of light in order to grasp me are neither robbers nor travellers. These two must be Shaheed Singhs (the immortal souls of Sikh martyrs). I began to recite the Mool mantar. I had only uttered the Mool mantar twice when the Singh who held my head down, let go, followed by the second Singh who was holding my feet.”

Baba Ji got up and the Shaheed Singh explained, ‘‘We did not come here to fight with or seize you, but to answer your question, regarding the correct time to recite the prayer of Chandi di Vaar. As you thought about offering us a fight, we came and immediately seized you, as we did.” The Shaheed Singh continued, ‘‘If you start reciting the prayer of Chandi di Vaar after sunset then, one must keep reciting it

63continuously through the night until dawn. Two or more Singhs may take turns to recite this prayer through the night, it is all right to do so. One must sit upon a clean mat or bed, bathing before reciting the prayer. An oil lamp lit with clarified butter should be kept alight throughout the night. During the day, one can recite Chandi di Vaar as many times as one wants. There is no specific practice to reciting the prayer except that one reads the prayer with devotion and understanding.” After explaining these instructions, the Singh’s disappeared through the doors towards the direction they came from.

Taken from Se Kinehiya:

DI VAAR

Baba Ji used to recite the prayer called Chandi di Vaar daily, as part of his Nitnem. This is a prayer composed by the tenth Guru, describing a battle between demons and the Goddess called Chandi. It is usually recited by Sikhs during war. Many a time, a question would arise in his mind as to, how many times and at what time one should recite the prayer of Chandi di Vaar? Baba Ji asked many Saints and sadhus regarding this question, but could not get a satisfactory answer.

One evening, at his room in the fields, after reciting the evening prayer of Rehras, Baba Ji went on to recite the prayer of Chandi di Vaar. After completing this prayer, he prepared to retire by saying his last prayer of Sohila. It was a moonlit night and the doors of the room in which he was sitting, were open. As he had just lain down, he noticed two men approaching at a short distance. Baba Ji thought to himself, that if these pedestrians were just travellers, he would offer them food and shelter for the night and if they were robbers, then he would challenge them in combat. No sooner had this thought entered his mind, than miraculously one of the Singh’s came beside him and grabbed his feet. The other one seized Baba Ji’s head and pinned him down onto the bed. Baba Ji used to tell us, ‘‘I was unable to move from the bed. A thought entered my mind that these two, who have moved faster than the speed of light in order to grasp me are neither robbers nor travellers. These two must be Shaheed Singhs (the immortal souls of Sikh martyrs). I began to recite the Mool mantar. I had only uttered the Mool mantar twice when the Singh who held my head down, let go, followed by the second Singh who was holding my feet.”

Baba Ji got up and the Shaheed Singh explained, ‘‘We did not come here to fight with or seize you, but to answer your question, regarding the correct time to recite the prayer of Chandi di Vaar. As you thought about offering us a fight, we came and immediately seized you, as we did.” The Shaheed Singh continued, ‘‘If you start reciting the prayer of Chandi di Vaar after sunset then, one must keep reciting it

63continuously through the night until dawn. Two or more Singhs may take turns to recite this prayer through the night, it is all right to do so. One must sit upon a clean mat or bed, bathing before reciting the prayer. An oil lamp lit with clarified butter should be kept alight throughout the night. During the day, one can recite Chandi di Vaar as many times as one wants. There is no specific practice to reciting the prayer except that one reads the prayer with devotion and understanding.” After explaining these instructions, the Singh’s disappeared through the doors towards the direction they came from.

Yea Exactly. Baba Ji mentions nothing about a "glass of water" or anything along those lines. I am not questioning Baba Ji in any way I agree with what he says as he is a Brahmgyani. I am only questioning this thing about keeping a glass of water beside you whenever you recite Chandi Di Vaar. IMO it is superstition.

Taken from Se Kinehiya:

DI VAAR

One evening, at his room in the fields, after reciting the evening prayer of Rehras, Baba Ji went on to recite the prayer of Chandi di Vaar. After completing this prayer, he prepared to retire by saying his last prayer of Sohila. It was a moonlit night and the doors of the room in which he was sitting, were open. As he had just lain down, he noticed two men approaching at a short distance. Baba Ji thought to himself, that if these pedestrians were just travellers, he would offer them food and shelter for the night and if they were robbers, then he would challenge them in combat. No sooner had this thought entered his mind, than miraculously one of the Singh's came beside him and grabbed his feet. The other one seized Baba Ji's head and pinned him down onto the bed. Baba Ji used to tell us, ''I was unable to move from the bed. A thought entered my mind that these two, who have moved faster than the speed of light in order to grasp me are neither robbers nor travellers. These two must be Shaheed Singhs (the immortal souls of Sikh martyrs). I began to recite the Mool mantar. I had only uttered the Mool mantar twice when the Singh who held my head down, let go, followed by the second Singh who was holding my feet."

Baba Ji got up and the Shaheed Singh explained, ''We did not come here to fight with or seize you, but to answer your question, regarding the correct time to recite the prayer of Chandi di Vaar. As you thought about offering us a fight, we came and immediately seized you, as we did." The Shaheed Singh continued, ''If you start reciting the prayer of Chandi di Vaar after sunset then, one must keep reciting it

63continuously through the night until dawn. Two or more Singhs may take turns to recite this prayer through the night, it is all right to do so. One must sit upon a clean mat or bed, bathing before reciting the prayer. An oil lamp lit with clarified butter should be kept alight throughout the night. During the day, one can recite Chandi di Vaar as many times as one wants. There is no specific practice to reciting the prayer except that one reads the prayer with devotion and understanding." After explaining these instructions, the Singh's disappeared through the doors towards the direction they came from.

Yea Exactly. Baba Ji mentions nothing about a "glass of water" or anything along those lines. I am not questioning Baba Ji in any way I agree with what he says as he is a Brahmgyani. I am only questioning this thing about keeping a glass of water beside you whenever you recite Chandi Di Vaar. IMO it is superstition.

Thats fine, I am not questioning any brahm giani in anyway at all. bUt it is probably translated wrong. Puratan Taksal and Nihang Maryada is to read it before the sun rises. AMRITVELA. When i stayed in the dal, Baba Joginder Singh Budha Dal reads it amritvela at around 1am, as do many other mahapursh brahmgianis. Ask any taksal parcharak they will tell you the same, Giani Thakur Singh says whenever you read dasam bani always have a glass of water beside you, what do you think you do with it, throw it at the moon, you drink it!!! Gives you shakti/power!! Do it and see. This is a forum to ask questions and learn, not to slander one another!!! No Baba Ji doesnt mention anything about the water, but does mention the whole spectrum of sikhi from start to finish, no because the book would be massive!!! The maryada is never read it in the day!!! Nevertheless you should only read this bani once you have taken santhiya!! Dont take my work for it ask around before talking your sh1t!!

Taken from Se Kinehiya:

DI VAAR

One evening, at his room in the fields, after reciting the evening prayer of Rehras, Baba Ji went on to recite the prayer of Chandi di Vaar. After completing this prayer, he prepared to retire by saying his last prayer of Sohila. It was a moonlit night and the doors of the room in which he was sitting, were open. As he had just lain down, he noticed two men approaching at a short distance. Baba Ji thought to himself, that if these pedestrians were just travellers, he would offer them food and shelter for the night and if they were robbers, then he would challenge them in combat. No sooner had this thought entered his mind, than miraculously one of the Singh's came beside him and grabbed his feet. The other one seized Baba Ji's head and pinned him down onto the bed. Baba Ji used to tell us, ''I was unable to move from the bed. A thought entered my mind that these two, who have moved faster than the speed of light in order to grasp me are neither robbers nor travellers. These two must be Shaheed Singhs (the immortal souls of Sikh martyrs). I began to recite the Mool mantar. I had only uttered the Mool mantar twice when the Singh who held my head down, let go, followed by the second Singh who was holding my feet."

Baba Ji got up and the Shaheed Singh explained, ''We did not come here to fight with or seize you, but to answer your question, regarding the correct time to recite the prayer of Chandi di Vaar. As you thought about offering us a fight, we came and immediately seized you, as we did." The Shaheed Singh continued, ''If you start reciting the prayer of Chandi di Vaar after sunset then, one must keep reciting it

63continuously through the night until dawn. Two or more Singhs may take turns to recite this prayer through the night, it is all right to do so. One must sit upon a clean mat or bed, bathing before reciting the prayer. An oil lamp lit with clarified butter should be kept alight throughout the night. During the day, one can recite Chandi di Vaar as many times as one wants. There is no specific practice to reciting the prayer except that one reads the prayer with devotion and understanding." After explaining these instructions, the Singh's disappeared through the doors towards the direction they came from.

Thats fine, I am not questioning any brahm giani in anyway at all. bUt it is probably translated wrong. Puratan Taksal and Nihang Maryada is to read it before the sun rises. AMRITVELA. When i stayed in the dal, Baba Joginder Singh Budha Dal reads it amritvela at around 1am, as do many other mahapursh brahmgianis. Ask any taksal parcharak they will tell you the same, Giani Thakur Singh says whenever you read dasam bani always have a glass of water beside you, what do you think you do with it, throw it at the moon, you drink it!!! Gives you shakti/power!! Do it and see. This is a forum to ask questions and learn, not to slander one another!!! No Baba Ji doesnt mention anything about the water, but does mention the whole spectrum of sikhi from start to finish, no because the book would be massive!!! The maryada is never read it in the day!!! Nevertheless you should only read this bani once you have taken santhiya!! Dont take my work for it ask around before talking your sh1t!!

First of all can you direct me to were i supposedly talked "sh1t". Secondly where did i slander you? And thirdly let me show you what you probably missed in your eagerness to lash out at me. From my first post:

"If you can direct me to some Katha done on the issue by a Gursikh with a lot of knowledge or if you can enlighten me yourself then I will gladly apologize for saying that".

"If I have offended you or anyone else I sincerely apologize". "I am after all the biggest moorakh on these forums".

I especially love how you say that this is a forum to learn and not to slander one another and yet you contradict your own advice by telling me not to talk "sh1t" a couple sentences down.

Lastly I would like to thank you for directing me to Giani Thakur Singh Jis Katha. I will surely look for it to learn more and hopefully you can provide a link. If I listen to some katha by a Gursikh like him and realize I was wrong then I will apologize.

Thank You and have a nice Day

• 13 years later...