Ego Amongst Some 'singhs' & Singhnia After Wearing 5 K's And Taking Amrit

Guest WanabeSikh

Guest WanabeSikh

Gur Fateh Sangat Ji,

I would just like to share my experience of what I have experienced over the years.

See I never really knew a lot about Sikhi, I thought it was JUST about reading Gurbani at set times, never understood that it was much more than that, i.e. letting Sikhi live in you, overcoming the 5 doots and practicing what you are learning.

The more I understand Sikhi the less I see the more important qualities embedded amongst some of those who feel they are 'practicing' Sikhs. My intention is not to criticise anybody or ridicule anybody. Would just like to understand the following:

1)Why do Singhs and Singhnia choose who they greet with 'Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh' ? Do you have to wear a dastaar in order to recieve this greeting? Does the greeter only say this to those that they believe to be 'religious'?

2)What spiritual boons do Singhs and Singhnia achieve from walking backwards in a Gurdwara? Yes, Sri Guru Amar Das Ji did this out of LOVE and DEVOTION to the Guru. This was his personal feeling and expression of Love. None of the other Gurus did this but had as much love for the previous Guru as did Guru Amar Das Ji. I.E you cannot copy somebodys actions and imply that it is done out of LOVE.

I have only ever seen you walk backwards to the door ... why not walk backwards all the way as did guru Amar Das Ji? I've never seen anybody walk backwards down the stairs or all the way into the car park. My personal feeling is that I can walk out of the Gurdwara forwards or backwards and my love for Waheguru will not increase or decrease. I think (based on what I have seen) that mosts Singhs and Singhnia do it because they think oh I must do this now as this is what all other Singhs and Singhnia do, I'm a part of the Khalsa Panth, I need to show everyone that I have respect for Guru Ji. And so killing the feeling of Love and giving birth to ego instead. As Guru Gobind Singh Ji advises us in Jaap Sahib, Waheguru is in all directions. You turn your back to the wall but behind that wall there is another Saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ... so what did you achieve? I would really like to know why you do this? Please speak the truth.

3)Also i have seen many of you with private plates ... S1NGH K9UR5 etc, if there is no 'I' in you and there is only 'Him' ... then what is the need to identify your lowly self with a private plate? Also, breaking the speed limit is not OK even if you are Amritdhari and always Jaaping Naam.

These re just some of my observations. Please don't give silly answers like why are you looking at people walking out, you should be focused on Guru Ji. If we cannot be alert of what is going on around our Guru Ji then how can we ever truly serve in His Panth?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!!!!!!

1)Why do Singhs and Singhnia choose who they greet with 'Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh' ? Do you have to wear a dastaar in order to recieve this greeting? Does the greeter only say this to those that they believe to be 'religious'?
because they are idiots. You wouldn't believe this but there is a bibi where i live who says fateh to all the people who wear a pugh. but the non-pugh wearing people, even the amritdhari ones, she says hi to! i was like :6

This happened to a very close friend of mine, he visited BC a few years ago, went to gurudwara in shirt and pants, no one said fateh to him. He didn't think of it even for a second. But the next day he went to the same gurudwara in a kurta pajama dn the same people that simply walked by him the day before without saying anything showed immense love, said fateh to him and gave him hugs....hypocrisy at it's limit. We are always whining about people judging us by how we look, yet we do the same!

My personal feeling is that I can walk out of the Gurdwara forwards or backwards and my love for Waheguru will not increase or decrease.
That is the key, perhaps their personal feeling only warrants that they walk backwards until they reach the darbar door.
Also, breaking the speed limit is not OK even if you are Amritdhari and always Jaaping Naam.
say wahhh :huh:

It's really sad but from what I have seen so far, being amritdhari is analogous to belonging to superior caste these days.

Guest AKJ LONDON

yh i agree with everything... apart from tht last point.. i dont see any wrong in having a bit of fun whilst driving... i know many gursikhs that rip it down the motorways etc :)

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

i have experienced the same, but why should we sit here and do nindya of them? not all of them are like that, yet some of them do it to other amritdharis as well..

either way yea some ppl have some problems but again why do nindya of them here , why dont u go find them and confront those that do practice this? all we are doing for them is bhala, they will get phul out of nindya of them, yes i know its the truth that we are talking about here but it's just better to talk to them directly.. if they dont understand, god will take care of it, just go on with ur own life, they arent that important in the bigger scheme of things.

one thing i also must mention is since i started to keep rehit a lot of people who arent into sikhi, punjabi ppl, give me really bad stares, some of my friends parents dont even say hi to me anymore they always look p i s s e d at me..however, some ppl are really respectful towards me, so what can we do about this now? problem exists on both sides.. i guess humankind just cant handle one another, but a khalsa should definitely rise above that, right?

Gur Fateh Sangat Ji,

I would just like to share my experience of what I have experienced over the years.

See I never really knew a lot about Sikhi, I thought it was JUST about reading Gurbani at set times, never understood that it was much more than that, i.e. letting Sikhi live in you, overcoming the 5 doots and practicing what you are learning.

The more I understand Sikhi the less I see the more important qualities embedded amongst some of those who feel they are 'practicing' Sikhs. My intention is not to criticise anybody or ridicule anybody. Would just like to understand the following:

Well your starting off with a narrow point of view and rest of your post is just a poor excuse to rant about things which you don't do. It's easy looking at others and judging, but have you looked closer to home. By just reading this message I can tell your in ego.

First of all of you don't got a Dastar on how do they know if your Sikh. Your brown skin doesn't make you a Sikh. The fact you can speak Punjabi doesn't make you a Sikh. Being at the Gurdwara doesn't make you Sikh. Dastar is Guru Sahib Saroop and the Sikhs wear it. And if you got a Dastar on and are Amritdhari then you have to say Fateh just as much as the other Amritdhari. I don't wait for the other to say it.

2)What spiritual boons do Singhs and Singhnia achieve from walking backwards in a Gurdwara? Yes, Sri Guru Amar Das Ji did this out of LOVE and DEVOTION to the Guru. This was his personal feeling and expression of Love. None of the other Gurus did this but had as much love for the previous Guru as did Guru Amar Das Ji. I.E you cannot copy somebodys actions and imply that it is done out of LOVE.

I have only ever seen you walk backwards to the door ... why not walk backwards all the way as did guru Amar Das Ji? I've never seen anybody walk backwards down the stairs or all the way into the car park. My personal feeling is that I can walk out of the Gurdwara forwards or backwards and my love for Waheguru will not increase or decrease. I think (based on what I have seen) that mosts Singhs and Singhnia do it because they think oh I must do this now as this is what all other Singhs and Singhnia do, I'm a part of the Khalsa Panth, I need to show everyone that I have respect for Guru Ji. And so killing the feeling of Love and giving birth to ego instead. As Guru Gobind Singh Ji advises us in Jaap Sahib, Waheguru is in all directions. You turn your back to the wall but behind that wall there is another Saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ... so what did you achieve? I would really like to know why you do this? Please speak the truth.

How do you know if there just doing it for show or showing their love for Guru Sahib. Your not making any sense. What about the people that walk around Guru Sahib after bowing down. Are they in ego aswell. What a foolish thing to say. If God is everywhere then from now on when you go to Darbar Sahib don't bow down before Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and make a video of it for proof. Then show it here.

3)Also i have seen many of you with private plates ... S1NGH K9UR5 etc, if there is no 'I' in you and there is only 'Him' ... then what is the need to identify your lowly self with a private plate?

Now this is a new one. Bring their own plates to the Gurdwara. I agree with you here.

Also, breaking the speed limit is not OK even if you are Amritdhari and always Jaaping Naam.

This one is funny and more ignorance. Speed limits are set by the government so individuals don't go 150 km on every road. Breaking speek limit is not a sin. What is required from a driver doesn't matter who he/she is, safe driving. In some countries the speed limits are set higher than others, so who is to judge and say this is wrong and other is right. The universal rule is drive safe.

These re just some of my observations. Please don't give silly answers like why are you looking at people walking out, you should be focused on Guru Ji. If we cannot be alert of what is going on around our Guru Ji then how can we ever truly serve in His Panth?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!!!!!!

They choose because they don't want to confuse others......would you say 'fateh' to your maths teacher? I'll let you decide.

At that time the only Guru was Guru Angad dev ji......he was the only one...the one and only light of baba nanak. Guru ji was living and breathing on earth...now there is guru granth sahib jee, and there is quite alot of them. does this mean we should only face in the direction of guru granth sahib jee? I'll leave that up to you.

The more satkaar for guru ji the better.

3)Also i have seen many of you with private plates ... S1NGH K9UR5 etc, if there is no 'I' in you and there is only 'Him' ... then what is the need to identify your lowly self with a private plate? Also, breaking the speed limit is not OK even if you are Amritdhari and always Jaaping Naam.

If they have the extra £'s to splash on number plates then how does it effect you? now I also see Sikhs with khanda badges hanging down from the rear mirror.....does this mean there also 'identifying themself as being low'?

Guest WanabeSikh

Thank you Sangat Ji.

@ HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz - The intention was not to do nindya ... how many of us have learnt things from here that we would not have learnt if somebody approached us directly? As you said

i guess humankind just cant handle one another, but a khalsa should definitely rise above that, right?

@ Only Five - Yes, I am full to the brim with Ego ... I never implied otherwise.

Well your starting off with a narrow point of view and rest of your post is just a poor excuse to rant about things which you don't do. It's easy looking at others and judging, but have you looked closer to home. By just reading this message I can tell your in ego.

Well Only Five ... your starting off with a narrow point of view too and rest of your post is just a poor excuse to rant about things which you probably do. It's easy looking at others and judging, but have YOU looked closer to home? By just reading your message I cannot tell your in ego ... but you must be blessed with a super power to have sensed this through one post. Waheguru.

First of all of you don't got a Dastar on how do they know if your Sikh. Your brown skin doesn't make you a Sikh. The fact you can speak Punjabi doesn't make you a Sikh. Being at the Gurdwara doesn't make you Sikh. Dastar is Guru Sahib Saroop and the Sikhs wear it. And if you got a Dastar on and are Amritdhari then you have to say Fateh just as much as the other Amritdhari. I don't wait for the other to say it.

First of all a Dastar does not make one a Sikh ... this is a very narrow point of view. I greet the Guru with Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh each day ... I do not wear a Dastar, so am I wasting my time? The 5 kakar were given to the Panj Piyaria after they diminshed their Ego by offering their head to the Guru ... it was not the other way around. They were Sikhs on the inside and were so identified as Sikhs on the outside based upon this. My brown skin does not make me a Sikh, the fact I speak Punjabi does not make a Sikh, being at a Gurdwara does not make me a Sikh. So tell me what does make me a Sikh? Please share.

How do you know if there just doing it for show or showing their love for Guru Sahib. Your not making any sense. What about the people that walk around Guru Sahib after bowing down. Are they in ego aswell. What a foolish thing to say. If God is everywhere then from now on when you go to Darbar Sahib don't bow down before Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and make a video of it for proof. Then show it here.

I do not know that, which is why the topic was started. But I have seen people who have turned from cut hair to Dastar wearers who suddenly start to copy what everybody else is doing.

Waheguru is everywhere, this body bows to him at the Gurdwara, this body bows to him on the bed, this head bows to him at work, this head bows to him whilst driving, this head bows to him when washing and eating. This head bows to him whenever these ears hear Gurbani, be it at the Gurdwara, on the internet, on an mp3 player, in the car or anywhere. I wish for this mind to also bow to him always and forever.

So if God is everywhere, why would I deprive myself of bowing before Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ... by Not bowing in front of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and bowing everywhere else I would be going against the belief that God is everywhere. What a foolish thing to suggest to a 'Wanabe Sikh' ... please don't suggest this to anybody again. I think you are missing the point, if one does it out of LOVE should others copy just to be like that person thinking they will somehow get the same feeling... everyone has their own personal way to show love, but when everyone starts to copy each other is that love?

@Jag_Singh

They choose because they don't want to confuse others......would you say 'fateh' to your maths teacher? I'll let you decide.
When somebody greets me in this way I am certainly not confused. I am more confused when I see people picking and choosing which members of Sangat they greet like this.
At that time the only Guru was Guru Angad dev ji......he was the only one...the one and only light of baba nanak. Guru ji was living and breathing on earth...now there is guru granth sahib jee, and there is quite alot of them. does this mean we should only face in the direction of guru granth sahib jee? I'll leave that up to you.

The more satkaar for guru ji the better.

Not sure what you are trying to say ...

If they have the extra £'s to splash on number plates then how does it effect you? now I also see Sikhs with khanda badges hanging down from the rear mirror.....does this mean there also 'identifying themself as being low'?

Luckily it does not 'effect' me as such, it was an observation which aroused questions, which I proposed to Sangat here. But the driver cannot see the plate when driving ... only others see it ... so if the money is being spent for the benefit of other people, then why not wisen up and spend it somewhere where other people will really appriciate it. why not donate that money to the needy seeing as you have wasted it on something that was not needed by you or anyone(except the industry).

Gur Fateh to you all.

WanabeSikh, you want an arguement over this well you got one. Just to give you a heads up. Your going to lose. Your word play will fail because the Khalsa always stays true to his word. Khalsa doesn't change his writing just to prove a point that is false. Honesty is the Khalsa way.

Thank you Sangat Ji.

@ Only Five - Yes, I am full to the brim with Ego ... I never implied otherwise.

A person that knows he is in ego is not aware of what he is writing, speaking, or hearing. What they write is lost in vain and is deeply stuck in maya. Let this Moorakh continue to show your mistakes.

Well Only Five ... your starting off with a narrow point of view too and rest of your post is just a poor excuse to rant about things which you probably do

Show me where my points were a rant or narrow minded.

It's easy looking at others and judging, but have YOU looked closer to home? By just reading your message I cannot tell your in ego ... but you must be blessed with a super power to have sensed this through one post. Waheguru.

SHow me where I judged. I showed your judging others and you took offense to it. Too bad a person like you is in ego can't see what he is up too. To see blunt ignorance and ego is not a special skill. Well maybe for some since the ego is their home.

First of all a Dastar does not make one a Sikh... this is a very narrow point of view.

If I were you, and was a cunning person I wouldn't have just said a Dastaar doesn't make one a Sikh. I would have said covering your head doesn't make you a Sikh. But since I am not cunning like you. When the words first off come up that means they dont stand on their own the next sentences are apart of it. And in the next sentences this is said, "Dastar is Guru Sahib Saroop and the Sikhs wear it. And if you got a Dastar on and are Amritdhari then you have to say Fateh just as much as the other Amritdhari. I don't wait for the other to say it."

When you are a Sikh of the Guru you wear the Saroop of Guru Sahib and take Amrit from the Punj Pyare. Here I am just elobarating on what is in bold. The Words, Guru Sahib, Saroop, Dastar, Sikh, Amritdhari are all understood by Sikhs. What they mean and what it means to become a Sikh of Guru Sahib. When these words are placed in a paragraph as what I wrote then it is not saying only Dastar makes one a Sikh, but all of the above. Only thing narrow minded and cunning here is your distorting of what I said. Nice try and your showing your true colors

I greet the Guru with Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh each day ... I do not wear a Dastar, so am I wasting my time?

You wanna disobey Guru Sahib is your choice. You wanna distort Sikhi, then be prepared to get a tongue lashing.biggrin.gif

The 5 kakar were given to the Panj Piyaria after they diminshed their Ego by offering their head to the Guru ... it was not the other way around.

Taking amrit from the Punj Pyare and being part of the Punj Pyare is two different terms. Tell me where Guru Sahib said be 100% pure to take Amrit. The person has to make a committment to follow every word Guru Sahib said/says. Which includes wearing a Dastar.

They were Sikhs on the inside and were so identified as Sikhs on the outside based upon this. My brown skin does not make me a Sikh, the fact I speak Punjabi does not make a Sikh, being at a Gurdwara does not make me a Sikh. So tell me what does make me a Sikh? Please share.

What makes a person a Sikh. Already answered it in the very post of mine you distorted in your ego.

I do not know that, which is why the topic was started. But I have seen people who have turned from cut hair to Dastar wearers who suddenly start to copy what everybody else is doing.

How do you know they are copying. I want you to asking these individuals and video tape it because your a cunning man and your words can't be trusted.

Waheguru is everywhere, this body bows to him at the Gurdwara, this body bows to him on the bed, this head bows to him at work, this head bows to him whilst driving, this head bows to him when washing and eating. This head bows to him whenever these ears hear Gurbani, be it at the Gurdwara, on the internet, on an mp3 player, in the car or anywhere. I wish for this mind to also bow to him always and forever.

Now I know how your bow. You bow by being a decieving person and lost in ego. Do you wanna twist my words even more. Go ahead and the sangat here can see how your a cunning person even more. And I'll make sure I point it out like in this post.

So if God is everywhere, why would I deprive myself of bowing before Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ... by Not bowing in front of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and bowing everywhere else I would be going against the belief that God is everywhere. What a foolish thing to suggest to a 'Wanabe Sikh' ... please don't suggest this to anybody again.

This is what a cunning man does. Distort writing. When you bow before Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji a Sikh does not turn around and bow in the other direction. And by saying God is everywhere then this is what you will be doing. You would show your back to Guru Sahib and bow in the oppisite direction!!! That is foolish The Lord in the form of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is sitting infront of you and you would bow in the opposite direction!!! Now words can't even describe who you are.

I think you are missing the point, if one does it out of LOVE should others copy just to be like that person thinking they will somehow get the same feeling... everyone has their own personal way to show love, but when everyone starts to copy each other is that love?

Like I said before, make a video and present it here that people are just copying each other. Make sure you ask them the question why they don't turn their back to Guru Sahib and make sure you show your face on the video so the sangat can see which Manmukh is trying to making a mockery of Guru Sahib's Sikhs.

In your next post be truthful.

When somebody greets me in this way I am certainly not confused. I am more confused when I see people picking and choosing which members of Sangat they greet like this.

So you are not satisfied with OTHER people when they say 'fateh' to other people? Judging others weather they can say fateh or not isn't the point......what actually confuses you?

Not sure what you are trying to say ...

Still not sure ? try reading it again, but s l o w l y. Give it a go.

Just incase you missed what I wrote earlier, jinna satkaar ussi guru ji lee karde he ounna thora.

Luckily it does not 'effect' me as such, it was an observation which aroused questions, which I proposed to Sangat here. But the driver cannot see the plate when driving ... only others see it ... so if the money is being spent for the benefit of other people, then why not wisen up and spend it somewhere where other people will really appriciate it. why not donate that money to the needy seeing as you have wasted it on something that was not needed by you or anyone(except the industry).

Clearly if affects you. You want (again) others to spend their money wisely. Well of course the driver cannot see cus their driving. It's about spending your dasvand wisely, not accounting what others choose to spend.

WanabeSikh, you want an arguement over this well you got one. Just to give you a heads up. Your going to lose.

lol abit harsh.

. but you must be blessed with a super power to have sensed this through one post.

This should be fun.

Guest WanabeSikh

Only Five:

WanabeSikh, you want an arguement over this well you got one. Just to give you a heads up. Your going to lose.

There are many things that I could say to this, but I think on this note I'll end my responses to the topic here. If I continue to reply now I will be involved in an 'argument'. I don't wish to argue with members of Sangat or make them feel as though they have 'lost'. As a young girl wanting to get more into Sikhi I see things and think 'wow' and then I see other things and think 'why'. I guess I should be less observative from now on so that these 'why' questions do not arouse in my mind.

And Jag_Singh - sorry to put a stop to your idea of 'fun' before it even started.

Gur Fateh Sangat Ji.