What To Look For In A Granthi Singh?

Matheen

Granthis Can Be Either Singh or Kaur!

Granthis Should Obviously Be Fluent in Gurmat Instruments (At Least One).

Granthis Should be Fluent in Gurmat Raags!

Granthis Should be Fluent in Lareevaar Saroop Sri GuruGranth Sahib Ji.

Granthis Should Love Dasam Patshah Bani and Sing Bir Ras Shabads!!

Granthis Should Be Able to Expand on Bhai Gurdas Ji, Bhai Nand Lal Singh, Bhai Gurdas Singh Bani.

Granthis Should Teach Santhya, Gurmukhi, etc..

Granthis Should be Content in Their Gristh!! Not look at others at how much money they have, and what cars they have, and look at others with jealousy (they show this by 'kissing up' to rich people etc. – its' a sign of their jealousy.)

Granthis Should NEVER give Saropaas etc. to Patits!!!!

Granthis Should NEVER give-in to Corrupt and Patit Members Who Come to Gurudwara.

Granthis Should Be Khalsa! Granthees Should be Head of Committee!!

Granthis Should be Loving as Well as Full of Bir Ras!!

Granthis Should be Fluent in the Language of Population (especially the language of the youth!)

Granthis Should ALWAYS keep the Marayada of The Darbaar At All Cost!

Granthis Should Speak up Against and Correct Mistakes of Marayada Being Broken in Darbaar Sahib, Degh, Langar, etc!

Granthis Should ALWAYS wake up Amrit-Vela (even when not 'working'! The Aura is Obvious!)

Granthis Sole Motivation should be to Propagate Guru Gobind Singh Jis' Maarag (Way of Life).

Granthis (Should be Niskhaam) and Should be either Well Off and/or Content from Their Prior or On Going Dharam Di Kirt, or Be Content in the Earnings from their Current Kirt (There can be more than one Khalsa Granthees taking turns! There does not only have to be One!)

Granthis Should be Citizens of the Country they are Doing Seva!

Granthis Should be in Contact with Women Shelters, Abuse Shelters, Etc. to whom they can speak with and consult to help those in need in Sangat!

Granthis Should be DEDICATED!!!! DAY AND NIGHT DEDICATED!!!!

Granthis SHOULD BE 100% NISHKHAAAAAAM!!!

Very good post!

I agree very good post. But if we make it mandate for every gurudwara to have a person like this, then our gurudwaras won't have granthis anymore.

V. V.V. V. ................ hard it is to find a person like this.

All I see that Granthis are full of greed. Samajhde ne ke sewa kar rahe ne, par for every little job they do, they ask for money. Je sewa hai tan badle cho money dee mang kiyon?? Sharda and demand are two opposites.

In my opinion, there shouldn't be any 1 single granthi. We should have multiple members of the community doing different sewas. The duties should be assigned and rotated, the ones we can rotate. This will encourage the community involvement and bring people closer to real shabad of Gurbani, rather than expecting one granthi to know it all.

No single person can be knowing all and nobody is flawless (and if u find someone, he would be already brahmgiyani, and you won't find him looking for employment).

just my 2 cents.

If it was not for the Granthi's, no one would be doing any sewa in the Gurdwaras. Let's face it, who is sitting in the Gurughar at 4am when Maharaj's sawari is brought in?? Most of us are hitting the snooze buttons on our alarm clocks...

The Granthi bashing is usually an excuse to blame your sikhi shortcoming on someone else.

Granthis Can Be Either Singh or Kaur!

Granthis Should Obviously Be Fluent in Gurmat Instruments (At Least One).

Granthis Should be Fluent in Gurmat Raags!

Granthis Should be Fluent in Lareevaar Saroop Sri GuruGranth Sahib Ji.

Granthis Should Love Dasam Patshah Bani and Sing Bir Ras Shabads!!

Granthis Should Be Able to Expand on Bhai Gurdas Ji, Bhai Nand Lal Singh, Bhai Gurdas Singh Bani.

Granthis Should Teach Santhya, Gurmukhi, etc..

Granthis Should be Content in Their Gristh!! Not look at others at how much money they have, and what cars they have, and look at others with jealousy (they show this by 'kissing up' to rich people etc. – its' a sign of their jealousy.)

Granthis Should NEVER give Saropaas etc. to Patits!!!!

Granthis Should NEVER give-in to Corrupt and Patit Members Who Come to Gurudwara.

Granthis Should be Loving as Well as Full of Bir Ras!!

Granthis Should be Fluent in the Language of Population (especially the language of the youth!)

Granthis Should ALWAYS keep the Marayada of The Darbaar At All Cost!

Granthis Should Speak up Against and Correct Mistakes of Marayada Being Broken in Darbaar Sahib, Degh, Langar, etc!

Granthis Should ALWAYS wake up Amrit-Vela (even when not 'working'! The Aura is Obvious!)

Granthis Sole Motivation should be to Propagate Guru Gobind Singh Jis' Maarag (Way of Life).

Granthis (Should be Niskhaam) and Should be either Well Off and/or Content from Their Prior or On Going Dharam Di Kirt, or Be Content in the Earnings from their Current Kirt (There can be more than one Khalsa Granthees taking turns! There does not only have to be One!)

Granthis Should be Citizens of the Country they are Doing Seva!

Granthis Should be in Contact with Women Shelters, Abuse Shelters, Etc. to whom they can speak with and consult to help those in need in Sangat!

Granthis Should be DEDICATED!!!! DAY AND NIGHT DEDICATED!!!!

Granthis SHOULD BE 100% NISHKHAAAAAAM!!!

I think this would empty all our gurdwaras in one fell swoop.

I agree with most of what you say.

So how you going to screen for this? They are humans like the rest of us, if we all do this then how can we expect them not to do this.

Granthis Should Be Khalsa! Granthees Should be Head of Committee!!

I don’t think this is ever going to happen(head of committee) , it is the committee that (wrongly) appoint the granthi, they are hardly going to move over and relinquish their kursee to him/her.

Granthis Should Speak up Against and Correct Mistakes of Marayada

Most granthies come over from India and are not ‘pukkay’ so they have to be subservient to the committee members for years until they get permanent residency, so they can never speak out, which in turn feeds the ego of the pardhaans. They bide their time and take all manner of rubbish from those in charge. It is easy for persons in good jobs to mock them and mock their apparent greed, but these people come over from India , yes they have prem and sharda but also they need to feed themselves and their families back home, there is no shame in this, but get treated like rubbish.

Granthis (Should be Niskhaam) and Should be either Well Off and/or Content from Their Prior or On Going Dharam Di Kirt, or Be Content in the Earnings from their Current Kirt

This IS their kirt, even though the committee steal all their money donated to them by the sangat. How can you expect them to do granthi sewa nishkaam? How many granthies have any other profession then that of kirtan and paath? How many well off granthies have you ever seen ?

We knock the granthies but do not know their hardship, separated from their families, far from home, and they get treated so badly. Do we create granthies in this country ? who would do this sewa when you see how granthies get treated ?

Until we start to treat Granthies with respect and give them a good wage then you will not get the right standard of people.

Simplsh.

In My Opinion,

I Do Not Accept the Status Quo. My Faith Lies in the New Generation Educated, RehitVaan Khalsa, Who Will Bring Reform Into Existing Gurdwaras, and Opening Their Own Gurdwaras All Over The World, Where Tat-Gurmat Will Be Practiced, and Khalsa Jeevan Through Thought, Word and Deed will Be Propagated!!

I Do Not Want AnyBody From India Coming Overseas for Their Jobs in Gurdwaras!!

Each Gurdwara Can Have More than 1 Granthi (There can Be 5 or More Khalsas Taking Turns. Same with Keertanees, Etc.) The New Generation Khalsa WILL BE The Committee Members!!

Gurdwaras Are Suppose to Be Jewel Factories!! Stones are Suppose to Come In, and Be Polished to Leave as The Most Valuable Diamonds!! As Long as You have Stones in Positions of Control, and as 'Role Models', you will have People Instead of Leaving as Diamonds, Leaving as Mud! That's why you have Alcohol, Drug, Sex, Bollywood, Abuse, Etc..etc.. Very High Amongst 'Punjabis'! NOBODY WANTS TO BE LIKE THESE 'ROLE MODELS' IN GURDWARAS!!!

The Fortunate are Not affected by the Negativities in Gurdwaras, and Become and Live as Beautiful Khalsas!! But the Unfortunate are affected, sometimes for Life – Till Death!!! For me, That is Not Acceptable! Everyone Should be Leaving as Diamonds More Valuable than the Most Expensive Diamonds on Earth!! At Least, There Should be Nothing in Their Way to Achieving This! The House of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, MUST Have the BEST Representations of KHALSA in Roles of Positions in Gurdwaras as True Role Models of Khalsa!!! Beautiful NishKhaam Khalsa Granthis are ESSENTIAL!!!

The Future Will be Beautiful!

NishKhaam True Khalsa WILL Rise!!! and NishKhaam True Khalsa WILL Rule all Gurdwaras!!!

I Stand by What I Have Written!

Oh Yeah, One More:

Granthis Must Only Perform Amritdhari Khalsa Anand Karaj Between Singh and Kaur!!!

Dhan Dhan RehitVaan Panj Pyareh, Khande-Pahul Amrit, And Khalsa Rehit!!!!!

Chardi Kala!!!