6pm-9:30pm: Akhand Keertan

Gurdwara Singh Sabha, 10 Grant St, (off Garnett St/Leeds Rd), Bradford, BD3 9HD

Sat 19th December, 2009:

6am-11am: Asa Ki Vaar

Gurdwara Guru Nanak Dev Ji, Usher St, Wakefield Rd, Bradford, BD4 7DS

Sat 19th December, 2009:

7pm-5am: Raensabaayee Keertan

Gurdwara Guru Nanak Dev Ji, Usher St, Wakefield Rd, Bradford, BD4 7DS

Veechar Workshops will be held throughout the smagam, locations will be put of which Gurdwaara Sahib they will take place.

GURBANI VEECHAR

• Thursday 17th December – Improving Pronounciation of Gurbani & Understanding Laganmantran (part 1) – by Giani Kulwinder Singh – 2pm – 3.30pm
  • Thursday 17th December – 5 Khands – by Bhai Surjit Singh – 4pm – 5pm
  • Friday 18th December – Improving Pronounciation of Gurbani & Understanding Laganmantran (part 2) – by Giani Kulwinder Singh – 2pm – 3.30pm
  • Friday 18th December – "Keeping grounded in Gursikhi" – by Bhai Joginder Singh – 4pm – 5pm
  • Saturday 19th December – Improving Pronounciation of Gurbani & Understanding Laganmantran (part 3 )– by Giani Kulwinder Singh – 2pm – 3.30pm
  • Saturday 19th December – Open forum with all Elders – 4pm – 5pm

Other Info

• Coach transport will be leaving Southall at 5pm and Slough at 5.30pm. To book your place please contact Bhai Satnam Singh on 07956 519256
  • Coach transport will be leaving Birmingham at 5pm. To book your place please contact Bhai Bhupinder Singh on 07725973836
  • Accomodation to be provided for all Sangat
  • Accomodation for Bibi's contact Bibi Rajinder Kaur
  • Live Broadcast of Reansabai Keertan on www.AKJ.org

Amrit Sanchar

The Amrit Sanchaar will be on Saturday 20th December starting at 8pm sharp at Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Wakefield Rd, Bradford. Can all ablakhyees contact Bhai Taranjeet Singh Coventry (07877888874) to provide their names for the Amrit sanchaar. If you have questions, you can contact Jathedar Raghbir Singh or Bhai Jarnail singh on 01926 771944.

If any persons do not have full kakaars, then Akhand Kirtani Jatha UK will provide them as part of the seva.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Most Beloved Friend: Subedar Harbachan Singh jee

By Prof. Thakur Singh in Poorab Janam Kay Milay Sanjogee

Thirst for Keertan: Rawalpindi Smaagams

In his platoon, he had keertanee friends like his most beloved friend Bhai Mastaan Singh and even after going into the army, he continued to live a religious life by doing the sangat of his divinely coloured friend Sreemaan Baoo jee and enjoyed naam, baaNee and keertan. He would always thirst for keertan and satsangat. Whenever the Jatha went to Rawalpindi, he would always attend.

When in 1928 Baoo jee went to Rawalpindi with the Jatha, he took a leave from his platoon and came. At that time, the Jatha was staying in the home of Bibi Inder Kaur's maternal grandmother in the city. Baoo jee was speaking about Gurmat when he saw Subedar Sahib and became ecstatic. He emotionally spoke the line

"ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾਂਕੀਹਰਿਧੂੜਿਦੇਹਿਹਮਪਾਪੀਭੀਗਤਿਪਾਂਹਿ ॥"

The Lord gave his blessings and keertan began. Such an environment was created that everyone was swaying in divine colours. Satguru jee had given Subedar Sahib not only a holy soul, but a high consciousness. He was lost in a divine state and his simran was going very powerfully and his consciousness was enjoying the amazing spiritual colours. Seeing him in such a state, the rest of the sangat was also becoming amazed. That night, the entire sangat enjoyed such a bliss that cannot be described and is unforgettable. I cannot be forgotten. It is because of his high avasthaa that Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh jee used to call him "dulayshvar jee".

When in 1929 the Jatha came to Rawalpindi again, Subedar jee took a leave from Kohaat and arrived. That day keertan was taking place at Bibi Inder Kaur's home and it was a very blissful scene. Sree Maan Baoo jee motioned to Subedar Sahib to begin a shabad. He sat in front of the vaja. When he began the keertan, his consciousness became elevated into divine colours and he was lost. His naam khanda began to rattle and the entire sangat began to sway silence. After some time, the rest of the sangat began to depart but sitting with Baoo jee, the khanda continued. Much of the night passed like this. Then Bibi Inder Kaur came and with two hands clasped together requested the two Gurmukhs to eat. Both ate and then went to rest.

In 1930 Bhai Sahib Randheer Singh jee returned from jail. In 1931 the Jatha arrived in Rawalpindi with even greater splendour. Amazing keertan took place. One day at amrit vela, the Jatha was going to Bhai Sardha Singh's home for keertan when Subedar Sahib arrived from Kohaat by train. Everyone was very happy. Baoo jee and Sree Maan Bhai Saahib kept hugging him. Particularly Bhai Sahib jee was in bliss by meeting his long departed brother "Heera Harbachan Singh". In that embrace, Baoo jee noticed that Subedar Sahib's body was very hot and he had a fever. Baoo jee requested Dr. Gurbaksh Singh to give him medicine and tell him to go rest at home. The carriages had arrived so the Jatha departed.

Subedar Sahib then came to me and said "I've come here to see the Gur-Sangat and enjoy Keertan. I will not stay at home and have medicine nor will I rest. Let the Jatha go first and we'll later call our own carriage. We'll arrive after them."

So without telling anyone, we arrived at the house the Jatha had gone to. When the Jatha had sat down, Sreemaan Bhai Sahib put the second vajaa before me, and just like he used to say, said "take a shabad". According to Hukam, the shabad began

"ਆਵੈਸਾਹਿਬੁਚਿਤਿਤੇਰਿਆਭਗਤਾਡਿਠਿਆ ॥"

Bhai Saahib fell into divine colours at the very start of the shabad. He took the shabad to the highest notes. The sangat became such an environment that everyone was lost in love and were on some other world. Every line of the shabad was touching the heart. Every line was sung many times and like this the sangat enjoyed bliss for a long time. Subedar Sahib was sitting behind me and putting his hand in mine said "Look! I've received my medicine. I've got my treatment. The cure has worked. My shirt is soaked in sweat and the fever has broken."

The keertan ended at 11AM. When everyone was rising from the divaan, Sreemaan Baoo jee saw Subedar Sahib and in surprise, said "We had asked you to take medicine from the doctor and rest." Subedar Sahib laughed and replied "I've followed your orders. You Gursikhs in sangat, beloved-ones, are my doctors. By letting me hear keertan of GurbaaNee, you've given me the cure:

"ਤੀਨੇਤਾਪਨਿਵਾਰਣਹਾਰਾਦੁਖਹੰਤਾਸੁਖਰਾਸਿ ॥ "

By way of which I've enjoyed spiritual bliss which is beyond description. What is this bodily fever? See for yourself, with the very first shabad my fever broke and I began to sweat. I came here thirsting for satsangat and keertan, and so Satguru jee has given his blessings and the fever has broken."

Sreemaan Bhai Sahib jee again embraced him. They had met after so many years and he gave his love to his heart's content. After this, the Jatha ate and returned to rest.

Request & Bliss Of Keertan

Once Bhai Harbachan Singh jee had come to Col. Piara Singh jee's home. When returning, he was going to take the night train. All preparations had been made, but that evening some Singhs came to meet him. They requested him to stay some more days but Bhai Sahib didn't agree. One Singh took Col Sahib aside and asked him to request Bhai Sahib to stay one more day. Col Sahib replied "I'll tell you the method, whatever happens then is up to the Guru."

The time for Sodar came and everyone did the paath together. There was still quite a bit of time before the train was to leave so according to Col. Sahib's suggestion, one Singh lovingly said to Bhai Harbachan Singh jee "Well, you're leaving, but before you leave, can you recite one shabad for us?" Bhai Sahib could not refuse. The paath had been done in the presence of Sree Guru Granth Saahib jee and right there the instruments were also opened up. Bhai Sahib took the shabad

" ਸਾਜਨਾਸੰਤਆਉਮੇਰੈ ॥ ੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਆਨਦਾਗੁਨਗਾਇਮੰਗਲਕਸਮਲਾਮਿਟਿਜਾਹਿਪਰੇਰੈ ॥ ੧॥"

When Bhai Sahib sang the next line,

" ਸੰਤਚਰਨਧਰਉਮਾਥੈਚਾਂਦਨਾਗ੍ਰਿਹਿਹੋਇਅੰਧੇਰੈ ॥ ੨॥",

then his consciousness was so lost in this line that he spent the rest of the night in the sangat doing abhyaas. Bhai Sahib remained silent in his deep meditation and his hands remained resting on the vaja. At around 5AM at amrit vela, Bhai Sahib again began the shabad from the same line and finished around 6AM. In this way, the Singhs enjoyed the bliss of a lot of sangat with Bhai Sahib (where he was before not going to stay).

Drowing & Samadhee

Once, during the first World War, Bhai Harbachan Singh was stationed in a military camp on the banks of a river in France. At amrit vela, Bhai Sahib was immersed in naam abhyaas when the river began to flood. The army began to flee and in moments, they emptied the camp and went far away. Bhai Saahib stayed stationary in deep smaadhee. The water began to go over him as well. When roll call was taken for the unit, Bhai Saahib was listed as missing due to "having drowned". But after two or four days, when the water receded from the camp, the soldiers who came to survey the damage found Bhai Saahib covered in deep mud. They picked him up and after cleaning him, Bhai Sahib's smaadhee finally opened. Bhai Sahib Randheer Singh jee used to say that the British forces won the war because naam abhyaasees like this were in the ranks of their arm

Master Sunder Singh Jee Jalandhar

by Profressor Gurmukh Singh in Soora – April 1995

Translated by Admin tapoban.org

Master Sunder Singh jee could be seen at the AKJ’s Guru Nanak Dev Gurpurab, Jalandhar Smaagam sitting in attendance of Guru Granth Sahib jee, either doing chaur or in deep meditation.

Master jee was born in 1897 to Baba Nihal Singh jee in Shaykoopura (Pakistan). After obtaining a degree in teaching, he took the position of head master at JaRaanvala Primary School in Lyallpur. Even after her retired in 1952, he continued to be called Master jee by the Sangat.

Master jee had received amrit in childhood and so when he went to his job in JaRaanvala, the Village council saw him and his lifestyle and complained to the District Board Officer, “Why have you sent a Sikh (Singh Sabha member) to our village?” In those days the mahnts, Nimralas and Udasis had all made a fuss that the Singh Sabha were bent upon destroying the Sikh faith. They complained that the Singh Sabha would initiate so-called low castes with Amrit and include them in the Panth. In those days, amritdhaarees were generally called “Sikhs” In some places it is still this way.

Soon however the village people changed their mind after seeing Master jee’s purity of conduct. Master jee would encourage his staff and the students to work hard and as a result his school began to achieve excellent academic results. The students that came in contact with Master jee all became good Gursikhs.

Master jee’s own children relate how once they grew up a little, Master jee would wake up at 1AM. He would wrap himself in shawl or a blanket and then turn his attention to the Guru’s feet. For the next for or five hours he would be lost in meditation. N one knew why he spent so long in this state. Once, a very close sister in the Sangat asked Master jee “in such a long meditation, what do you read? Our nitnem paat is finished in an hour an hour and a half….”

Master jee replied, “When I read BaaNee, my stubborn mind leaves the presence of Guru Sahib and goes about in different thoughts. When it returns, I commence the paat from where it had stopped. Because of this, it takes me such a long time.”

Master jee would never share his inner experiences. From this, we learn that Master jee was firm in his believe that the paat of Nitnem should be done with the consciousness attached to the feet of the Guru, and in his presence. If Nitnem is not done with consciousness, it is only a physical act.

Master jee would listen to entire ran sabaees while sitting in the attendance of Guru Sahib. His face would glow red. Once, while speaking to a very close friend, Master jee hesitatingly said that it is difficult to stay focused on outside keertan for long periods, keertan can also be heard inside. These are inner spiritual experiences that Gursikhs always refrain from speaking about.

Old Singhs in the Jatha say that Bhai Sahib Randheer Singh used to listen to divine keertan and then coloured in those spiritual waves, used to do keertan himself. The raags all used to stand in his attendance with folded hands.

The point is, that in a Gursikh’s life, by the grace of the Guru, that time does come when they may be engrossed in naam or keertan for many hours at a time. It is the Guru’s grace that Master jee stayed in this spiritual state till his final breaths.

Besides taking care of his own family, Master jee also took responsibility for caring for his widowed sister’s family shortly after taking his job as head master. He accepted the will of the Lord as sweet. For his entire life he spoke very sweetly and with humility. Never did he speak bitterly. Neither anger nor ego could affect his life. He spoke very little.

After Partition, Master jee moved to Jalandhar. He had been going to AKJ smaagams even before Partition and had become close with Bhai Sahib Randheer Singh jee. When he came to Jalandhar, he along with his two daughters began a keertan program every Sunday at various homes. Slowly people joined the congregation. He then requested Bhai Sahib to have the yearly smaagam for Guru Nanak Dev jee’s Gurpurab at Jalandhar. It had been Master jee’s desire that if not daily, then weekly AKJ smaagams should take place in Jalandhar. Soon keertanee Singhs and Singhnees were sent to help him.

Master jee, his two daughters and the neighbor’s daughter used to leave at amrit vela with the instruments and arrived first at the smaagam venue to begin the keertan on-time. The tabla player also lived close by to them and used to drive a rickshaw. Using two rickshaws, they used to leave their home at 4AM. The Sangat would also begin to arrive early at Amrit Vela. In this way, Master jee made Jalandhar a center for akhand keertan. Kartarpu, Dyaalpur, Kapoorthala, Kakee Pind all became attached to this center and all the keertanees that do seva there learned keertan in Jalandhar. Master jee was the Jathedar of the Jalandhar area until his final days.

Master jee was respected for his farsightedness and Gursikh lefstyle. Even outside of Sikh society, he was respected. Master jee helped many poor Gursikh children get jobs and Punjab & Sindh Bank. Never once did he express and ego over being Jathedar for over 30 years. At the yearly smaagams, when all the other sevaadaars would leave their seva after the conclusion of the smaagam, Master jee would continue to lok after the instruments and other things till the very end.

In mid-October 1977, Col. Daljeet Singh and Bibi Harsharan Kaur jee’s daughter was to be married and three continuous akhand paath sahibs had been scheduled at their home in Mithaapur. Master jee at the age of 80, without any eyeglasses, completed 2 hour rauls. Two paaths had concluded and the third was to conclude on the day of the marriage at 6AM. I arrived the night before the marriage. My bedding and Master jee’s were together in the open courtyard. Around 1AM Master jee rose for his 2AM raul and went to gather his clothes to bathe. Suddenly Master jee had a heart attack. He was in a lot of pain and was repeating “Vahiguru, Vahiguru”. It was apparent he was in much discomfort. I also awoke. I put my shawl over him. He said to me, “go get a bottle of medicine from my suitcase inside and put the medicine in my mouth”. I did as he asked but the pain continued to increase.

I woke up Col. Sahib and Bhain jee and told them what had happened. Col Sahib went to Model Town to fetch a Doctor in his car. All the Singhs, (10-12 of them) went to Master jee’s bed and began to repeat Guru Guru. Bhain Harsharan Kaur took Master jee’s head and put it in her lap and said “Father, you must perform the marriage of our daughter! Is this any time to leave us?” Master jee replied, “Oh silly one, what better time is there than this? It is Amrit vela, Singhs are all around me meditating on naam, Guru Sahib’s call has come and Singhs have come to take me. Please forgive all my mistakes and faults.”

Bhain jee was lost in sadness and didn’t know what she was saying. The Doctor arrived and gave an injection. The Doctor said, “This is a very serious attack, if his condition improves in the next five minutes, he may be saved, otherwise I have no hope.”

As we watched, Master jee joined his hands together and in full awareness gave everyone a Fateh and took his place at the feet of the Guru.

I realized here that a devotee’s death is a new life which is passed in the feet of the Guru.

Master jee’s remains were taken to his home in Sraaj Ganj at 4 AM with respect. Once the day rose, the daughter’s marriage took place. After the marriage, the entire Sangat took part in the cremation.

AKJ_1209_smagam.jpg

VaaheguroojeekakhalsaaVaaheguroojeekifatheh!

SaadhSangat Jeeo,

A humble request to you all to Grace us with your Darshan at the Smagam! _/\_

Feel free to PM me or ring the contact numbers on the poster about any questions.

VaaheguroojeekakhalsaaVaaheguroojeekifatheh!

Quote:
1) Is there a difference between the paaras kalaa of gurbani and the paras kala of Naam?

Naam and Gurbani are closely knitted together (ਓਤ ਪੋਤ). Both are made of the same spiritual material. The underlying material in both is same. Since Naam has come out of mouth of Satguru, so Naam too is baani but the difference lies in the fact that whole of Gurbani gives us hukam to japp one khaas Naam. This khaas Naam is Gurmat Naam that we get at the time of our initiation at the lotus hands of Punj Pyare.

Paaras Kala of both Gurbani and Naam cleanses one of dirt. The difference lies in the fact that Gurbani's paaras kala prompts one's mind to japp Naam and paaras Kala of Naam opens the Dasam Duaar and straightens the Naabh Kamal of the seeker which is currently lying upside down. Paaras Kala of Naam gets one darshan of Vaheguru.

Quote:
2) Can a non-amritdhari experience the paaras kala of gurbani? Does the amritdhari experience more paaras kala from gurbani than the non-amritdhari?

Yes, I believe anyone can experience the paaras kala of Gurbani provided one exposes one's heart to Gurbani. Gurbani is Sarab Sanjhi i.e. anyone Sikh or non Sikh can come and experience the cool shadow of Gurbani roop tree.

Quote:
3) I believe that one is bestowed Naam when one takes amrit. Therefore, can a non-amritdhari experience the paaras kala of Naam simran?

Normally no but there are exceptions. One's who have massive bhagti from previous lives, sometimes get spiritual experiences by japping Naam or getting exposes to Naam vibrations before amrit. But such kirpa is shortlived and one can never get full potential of Gurmat Naam without japping Naam through Guru i.e. after amrit chhak.

We see in the story of Doctor Gurdit Singh of Burma, who's sister experienced spiritual ecstacy before amrit chhak. Her brother, who attained the full avastha of jyot vigaas right at the time of amrit chhak, wished that his sister who was sitting outside and had not been accepted as a candidate for amrit, too get this experience. She was in great bairaag and was sitting outside the Amrit Sinchaar Darbar. Right at that moment when Dr Sahib wished that his sister experience spiritual ecstacy that he was experiencing, a thought came in the minds of all Punj Pyaare at the same time, that they allow his sister to have darshan of her brother who was coloured in the divine colours of Naam. They lifted Dr Sahib, who was in samadhi and brought him by the window and opened the window. His sister beheld him from outside and as soon as she had his darshan and as she saw his divinely radiant face, she lost her worldly consciousness and Naam Khanda inside her started moving in full force. She had not even chhaked Amrit. She was japping Naam or you can say that Naam Khanda was moving inside her body in full vigour.

Dr Sahib stayed drenched in these divine colours for long time. Many hours after the Amrit Sinchaar samagam ended the sangat requested Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee (who too was one of the Punj Pyare) to make Dr Sahib saavdhaan i.e. bring him back to consciousness as they wished to have hid darshan. Bhai Sahib reluctantly took his surthee in the same mandals as Dr Sahib and from there brought him back to Sehaj Avastha and this way sangat had darshan of Dr Sahib.

Our Questions, Guru Sahib's answers

Siri Bavan Akhri is a rare jewel that Gursikhs cannot part from. This is a delicious and nutritious spiritual food that Gursikhs eat every day. In this baani, there are answers to many of our commonly asked questions. Presented below are our some of our questions and Guru Sahib's answers.

1) How to be successful in this world and the next world?

ਰਣਿਦਰਗਹਿਤਉਸੀਝਹਿਭਾਈ॥

ਜਉਗੁਰਮੁਖਿਰਾਮਨਾਮਲਿਵਲਾਈ॥

Only then you my be successful in this battlefield (world) or in Dargah (next world), if you japp and get absorbed in Gurmukh-Naam i.e. the true Naam of Gurughar.

2) How to rid our mind of enmity and opposition?

ਵੈਰਵਿਰੋਧਮਿਟੇਤਿਹਮਨਤੇ॥

ਹਰਿਕੀਰਤਨੁਗੁਰਮੁਖਿਜੋਸੁਨਤੇ॥

Enmity and opposition gets washed away from their minds, who listen to Hari Kirtan, through the true Guru.

3) How will worldly wandering of the mind stop?

ਧਧਾਧਾਵਤਤਉਮਿਟੈਸੰਤਸੰਗਿਹੋਇਬਾਸੁ॥

Their wandering in doing the worldly tasks is stopped, who start residing in the company of devotees i.e. in Satsang.

4) How to not reside in Narak or how to not end up in Narak?

ਨੰਨਾਨਰਕਿਪਰਹਿਤੇਨਾਹੀ॥

ਜਾਕੈਮਨਿਤਨਿਨਾਮੁਬਸਾਹੀ॥

They never fall in Narak (hell); who have in their mind and body only Naam.

5) How to eliminate the fear of dreadful journey with jammdoots after death?

ਤ੍ਰਾਸਮਿਟੈਜਮਪੰਥਕੀਜਾਸੁਬਸੈਮਨਿਨਾਉ॥

The fear of JammPanth i.e. journey after death to Dharam Rai, when Naam resides in one's mind.

Rajo, Seto and Temo Gun

All good and bad actions fall under the trai-gunn ( 3 gunns) you mentioned i.e. Rajo, Sato and Tamo. For this reason, anything done under these three gunns keeps us in this world and brings us back to this world through reincarnation. The only way to get out of this cycle is if we do what is beyond these 3 gunns. Only Naam Abhyaas and Gurbani Paath are beyond these three gunns.

As for examples of each gunn, here is what I can think of:

Tamo – Under this gunn, a person does all the bad things like atrocities, cruelties, murders, rapes etc.

Rajo – Under this Gunn, a person has aspirations for worldly gains. A person working to become a CFO of a company or manager of a firm is driven by Rajo Gunn. Such people are not bad people but they have aspirations for worldly gains. They are house-holders who want to attain materialistic things. They don’t commit atrocities, cruelties, murders etc. as a person under Tamo gunn does. It is possible for a person living under Rajo Gunn to transform into one living under Tamo Gunn. Some times to attain their material goals, the Rajo people start doing unethical and immoral acts and gradually this leads them to become Tamo people.

Sato – Under this gunn, people do good deeds and don’t have too many materialistic aspirations. They do charity work, feed the poor, help the needy, perform religious rituals like pilgrimages and other such good deeds. Most of the acts of the world religions fall under this gunn. Gurmat Matt or Dharam is the only one that offers its followers something above the Sato Gunn.

A gursikh follows some aspects of Sato Gunn e.g. helping the needy, feeding the poor etc. but it does not condone empty religious Sato rituals that don’t help in Naam Abhyaas. Same way Gurmat also preaches some Rajo Gunns (qualities) e.g. earning decent living, try to establish the righteous kingdom in this world etc.

A gursikh may follow some Tamo gunn too e.g. employing some martial skills in the battle for Dharma. But again, these actions may only seem like Tamo but the intent behind doing such actions like fighting in the battlefield are not driven by Tamo Gunn. A Gursikh always stays in the Chautha Padd i.e. the state above these 3 gunns.

please pm isingh and ask where bhai sahib has learnt santhiya, im not sure

Bibi Sukhdev Kaur

By Bhai. Thakur Singh in Poorab Janam Kay Milay Sanjogee

bibisukhdevkaur1.gif

From a very young age Bibi Sukhdev Kaur received encouragement from Bhai Sahib Randheer Singh jee to do paath and he himself had her read for him. Bibi jee would bathe, put on fresh clothes and then commence the paath as Bhai Sahib would stand behind her. Bhai Saahib would do Chaur with one hand and put his other hand on her head. Usually, only I, Thakur Singh, was the listener. I learned there that when the beloveds of the Guru give their blessings, consciousness can fly into the heavens. Not only in keertan are the sweet arrows of love released, but even in GurbaaNee paath these arrows are felt. These nectar like arrows affect not only the soul but even the body. I remember that I could only listen to this divinely inspired paath for a half hour or fourty five minutes. I would then request she stop. Those days are hard to forget. The entire atmosphere would be perfumed with Keertan and GurbaaNee paath.

Like this, some time passed. Bibi Sukhdev Kaur grew up and a great test came before her. The Bibi was engaged to marry into a family of manmukhs. When talk of her marriage arose, Bibi Sukhdev Kaur told her mother that she would only marry a Gursikh. She could not marry a Manmukh. Her entire family was worried, especially her brother who was of a very harsh nature. When Bibi Sukhdev Kaur’s brother found out what she was saying, he told her, the marriage arrangement is already made and furthermore they are our relatives. Think about it. This marriage is going to happen now. And if not, I have an axe...and a sword too. We’ll finish you off

Bibi jee in those days used to meditate on naam with great spiritual ecstasy and in this state, Guru jee gave her faith. She replied to her brother, your decision is right in your eyes and my decision is also eternal. You can do what you want

The brother drew his sword and despite the protests of their mother, dragged Bibi Sukhdev Kaur into the animals yard. He said now something is going to happen." Bibi jee replied, you are proud of your sword and I am proud of my Guru. Only that will happen which he approves of. Seeing her firmness, the brother brought Bibi jee back to her mother and told her to convince her daughter. The mother began to cry and lay down on the bed beside Bibi jee. Bibi jee told us that in this frightening situation, her simran was going with great power and there was no sign of fear within her. Guru jee, the True Lord, then appeared in person before her and gave her courage and blessed her with a simarnaa (this simarnaa is still with the Bibi). Then what? Bibi jee became totally ready for anything. She said Brother, you can do what you want to me. My Satguru jee has arrived! The brother thought for a moment and then threw down his sword. He exclaimed, Fine. You have won and we have lost. Tell us, where shall we marry you? Bibi jee replied, Only Bhai Sahib can tell you that.

It was fate, that day I had sent my nephew Dyaal Singh to Bhai Sahib with something to give to him. When Bibi jee told Bhai Sahib what had happened the previous night and how Satuguru jee had himself appeared and protected her, Bhai Sahib became very happy and called for me that very morning.

I arrived at Narnagvaal and he related the entire story to me. I put my head at his feet. Sanjog (those whom we are to meet) are determined before our birth. Bibi Sukhdev Kaur was sitting there, and approval was given for her marriage to my nephew.

Bibi jee went home and told her family what had happened and when her family found out what an educated and suitable boy had been found, they all went to Bhai Sahib’s house and the ardaas for the engagement was performed. Bhai Sahib was overjoyed. He said to me, Jogee! This is the blessing of the True Lord! You have preserved our honour. The lord shall bless you immensely."

After this, the marriage took place with great fanfare. Bhai Sahib till the end gave immense love to Bibi Sukhdev Kaur and Bibi jee too lived her entire life according to Gurmat.