Guru Gobind Singh Ji Gave Darshan To A Singh

singhrow

Significance of Salok Gurdev Mata Gurdev Pita

Whenever Baba Harnam singh would recite a Sehaj path or give santhiya (teach how to read Gurbani) to a new learner he would come across a specific instruction written at the end of the prayer of “bawan Akhri” in Raag Gauri by the 5th Guru. He would ponder oer the gurbani and its meaning and why guruji said “read this salok at the beginning and end”. This instruction appears both at the beginning and at the end.

Babaji was confused and thought why did Guruji find it necessary to write this? He asked people and some would say that this instruction only applies when you recite “Bawan Akhri”. Others would say “this is not gurbani it is just a written statement,” but Babaji would reply “there are so many saloks that appear twice in Guru Granth Sahib but none of them ends with this instruction to read this salok at the beginning and end.”

Finally when he was not satisfied this any of the answers he received he prayed to Guruji to give him the reason for this instruction. Then suddenly Guru Gobind singh Ji appeared before him and said “Bhai Harnam Singh! Whenever a Gursikh begins nitnem, either in the morning or evening, at the beginning and after completing their prayers this salok must be read. Before the start of Sri Akhand Paath or Sehaj Path this salok must be read before starting and after completion of the path. The line is written to remind the Sikh to read the salok twice, anyone who recites this salok will receive extra spiritual benefit.”

Finally babaji Was overjoyed with this answer and from that day Him alonmg with the sangat used to recite the salok as instructed by the 10th master.

Dhan Guru Gobind Singh ji

(This salok can be found on Ang 262)

Salok:

gurdayv maataa gurdayv pitaa gurdayv su-aamee parmaysuraa.

The Divine Guru is our mother, the Divine Guru is our father; the Divine Guru is our Lord and Master, the Transcendent Lord.

gurdayv sakhaa agi-aan bhanjan gurdayv banDhip sahodaraa.

The Divine Guru is my companion, the Destroyer of ignorance; the Divine Guru is my relative and brother.

gurdayv daataa har naam updaysai gurdayv mant niroDharaa.

The Divine Guru is the Giver, the Teacher of the Lord's Name. The Divine Guru is the Mantra which never fails.

gurdayv saaNt sat buDh moorat gurdayv paaras paras paraa.

The Divine Guru is the image of peace, truth and wisdom. The Divine Guru is the Philosopher's Stone - touching it, one is transformed.

gurdayv tirath amrit sarovar gur gi-aan majan apramparaa.

The Divine Guru is the sacred shrine of pilgrimage, and the pool of divine nectar; bathing in the Guru's wisdom, one experiences the Infinite.

gurdayv kartaa sabh paap hartaa gurdayv patit pavit karaa.

The Divine Guru is the Creator, and the Destroyer of all sins; the Divine Guru is the Purifier of sinners.

gurdayv aad jugaad jug jug gurdayv mant har jap uDhraa.

The Divine Guru existed in the very beginning, throughout the ages, in each and every age. The Divine Guru is the Mantra of the Lord's Name; chanting it, one is saved.

gurdayv sangat parabh mayl kar kirpaa ham moorh paapee jit lag taraa.

O God, please be merciful to me, that I may be with the Divine Guru; I am a foolish sinner, but holding onto Him, I will be carried across.

gurdayv satgur paarbarahm parmaysar gurdayv naanak har namaskaraa. ||1||

The Divine Guru is the True Guru, the Supreme Lord God, the Transcendent Lord; Nanak bows in humble reverence to the Lord, the Divine Guru. ||1||

ayhu salok aad ant parh-naa.

Read this Shalok at the beginning, and at the end. ||