7/7 Bomber's Sister Chose Sikhism

AK47 JATHA LION

In my opinion when they embrace sikhism they are as respected members of our faith as anyone else.

They have taken a new birth and have abandoned their old belief. They have buried their past.

agreed.

by the way it is true... she did convert. this is what i mean..... generally sikhs dont broadcast conversions like muslims do!!

agreed.

by the way it is true... she did convert. this is what i mean..... generally sikhs dont broadcast conversions like muslims do!!

You are right. But sikhs have a tradition to go out of the way to give more respect to new entrants.

Dr Ambedkar was a low caste Hindu. He wanted to leave Hinduism and embrace sikhism.Maharaja

of patiala had declared that in case he joins sikhism he would offer his sister in marriage to him.

This is written in Sachi sakhi by Kapur singh.

why is it an interesting story? I mean we're all different, I get that, so i'm sure some people might find this interesting. Personally I don't, so i'm curious.

would it be just as interesting if her brother wasn't a 7/7 bomber? is there even a purposeful link between one fact and the other? or was it just included to sensationalize the post? Because if her family disowned her, then she's not his sister, and he's not her brother.

Overall, i agree with West London Singh. While the Wembley example is an extreme case of "gloating", that's not the only definition of gloating. To me, gloating would also be the right word to call the reactions of certain Muslim forums where such conversions are celebrated, joked about and encouraged

Hopefully we're not about to head down that path. For the sake of Alia Kaur and the undoubted ostracizing she must alreayd face, let's not make this a big deal.

For the Singh that asked for some sources...

There are many sources available if you run a search online.

But this is perhaps 1 of the most reliable sources from daily mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-355619/Suicide-bomber-profile-The-Teenager.html

daily mail is a pretty solid source

In this article it actually says on paragraph 16 and 17 >>

"Hussain, the youngest of four siblings, grew up in a £75,000 four-bedroomed terraced home with his sisters Alia and Asiya and his brother Imran.

His sisters both moved out - Asiya to marry and settle nearby with her three children and Alia to spark a family scandal by running away with a Sikh lover."

would it be just as interesting if her brother wasn't a 7/7 bomber? is there even a purposeful link between one fact and the other?

Well, isn't the reason she turned away from Islam because of the fanaticism that she saw around her (even before the bombings)? The fanaticism took its logical course.

would it be just as interesting if her brother wasn't a 7/7 bomber? is there even a purposeful link between one fact and the other?

Well, isn't the reason she turned away from Islam because of the fanaticism that she saw around her (even before the bombings)? The fanaticism took its logical course.

hmm.. was there a history of fanaticism in the family? I don't know much about the family. It's not necessarily a fanatic response that the parents cut ties with her. Faithful parents tend to have that reaction when their offspring choose a differnent faith. According to bios online, he only became "more relgious" towards the end of 2003. She converted in the 90's, according to the veer above. There's a disconnect there, no?

Hmm, looks like you may be right. "Running away with a Sikh lover" doesn't exactly scream love of God.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with being devout within the Muslim tradition. If someone wants to believe theirs is the best religion in the world, that's fine too.

But there's definitely a problem if someone believes in the interpretation of Islam that says all non-Muslims must either submit or die.

why is it an interesting story? I mean we're all different, I get that, so i'm sure some people might find this interesting. Personally I don't, so i'm curious.

would it be just as interesting if her brother wasn't a 7/7 bomber? is there even a purposeful link between one fact and the other? or was it just included to sensationalize the post? Because if her family disowned her, then she's not his sister, and he's not her brother.

Overall, i agree with West London Singh. While the Wembley example is an extreme case of "gloating", that's not the only definition of gloating. To me, gloating would also be the right word to call the reactions of certain Muslim forums where such conversions are celebrated, joked about and encouraged

Hopefully we're not about to head down that path. For the sake of Alia Kaur and the undoubted ostracizing she must alreayd face, let's not make this a big deal.

wakey wakey japman! its interesting for a number of reasons... least of all... like you say... were all different!

there is huge public interest in the 7 7 bombings. this could have contributed to his actions leading to that day... for example, his community may ahve looked down on him cuz his sister married a sikh, he may have felt he needs to show the world he is a true muslim... he went to pakistan did the full shabang, and kablamo, the rest is history - literally!

For the Singh that asked for some sources...

There are many sources available if you run a search online.

But this is perhaps 1 of the most reliable sources from daily mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-355619/Suicide-bomber-profile-The-Teenager.html

daily mail is a pretty solid source

Actually, I think he was asking for a source about the HUT meeting. I'd be interested in that, too.

wakey wakey japman! its interesting for a number of reasons... least of all... like you say... were all different!

there is huge public interest in the 7 7 bombings. this could have contributed to his actions leading to that day... for example, his community may ahve looked down on him cuz his sister married a sikh, he may have felt he needs to show the world he is a true muslim... he went to pakistan did the full shabang, and kablamo, the rest is history - literally!

your cute little sarcastic comment aside;

so how does this affect future policy on dealing with terrorism? Let's play along and say that yes, alia converting to sikhism may have caused him to go and bomb the British subway system (i'm not sure I believe that, for the record, but we're having a civilized discussion, so let's explore it).. so the solution could be, therefore, to lock up any muslim who's experienced a conversion by a relative... in fear that they'll develop an inferiority complex and bomb something. (ceteris paribus on the community reaction to such occurrences). A little extreme of course.. but given the paranoia and slippery slope of western-world lawmakers, seems like it could be a possibility within 20 years.

Back to Hasib: It would be more logical for him to blow up something sikh-related if the conversion was bothering him. Don't forget, there were 4 bombers. Why would Alia's conversion be a coercive factor for the other 3? If Hasib convinced em, he probably shoulda gone into a career in sales instead of this bombing thing, if he was able to do that convincing job! haha

Granted, they might all have their own reasons to get training, but it just doesn't fit your argument that alia's conversion led him to do this. Why not get all the knowledge and training and take it out on the faith that "took" his sister from him? Hell, why not just go after her for bringing such disgrace to the family? Why the carnage? Major gap in logic in my opinion.

The timeline isn't exactly clear either, as mentioned before. she converted in the 90's. he didn't even begin to demonstrate an interest in Islam till late 2003, so it's not even like 9/11 inspired him or something. Seems like his family was never really into Islam (again: Alia "ran off with her sikh lover"... not exactly the behaviour of a devout muslim). I just lend more to the environment and the sheer quantity of extremist islam in the UK. He got interested in Islam, and the first mosque that won his appeal happened to be run by an extremist.

Reminder: We're having a civilized conversation. Think about that before you plunge back into sarcasm.