Forget It, I Cant Sit Down For Long!

papee

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹਿ

Many times when sitting down in a Chawnkaree (Legs Crossed) many thoughts go through ones mind such as "Man!!!.....My legs are starting to hurt, I need to take a break". However once you go out of Guru Mahrajs Darbar and you head towards the Langar hall, you can easily spend few hours talking and easily get distracted in to talking, even though we had the intention to come back into darbar sahib.

Firstly, even sitting down in darbar sahib for even a second is such a blessing and we should be lucky enough to sit in the KING OF KINGS Court.

Now as stated before many people including myself find it difficult to sit down for a long time, may it be a keertan program or an AkhandPaath etc... There are many ways around this:-

1. Guru Sahibs Hukam is for every Sikh to do Amrit Vela

ਗੁਰਸਤਿਗੁਰਕਾਜੋਸਿਖੁਅਖਾਏਸੁਭਲਕੇਉਠਿਹਰਿਨਾਮੁਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

Amritvela is probably the best practice for sitting down as it is something that you do everyday. When doing Naam Abiyaas/Nitnem/OtherBeant Banneeaa at home or with sangat in the morning, try to keep your legs crossed for as long as possible and if they do hurt, stretch them out 4 a few seconds and go back in to a Chawnkaree. If you are going to do amritvela for 2 hours in the morning then try and test yourself and see if you can keep your legs crossed for 2 hours. However please remember your surtee should be on NAAM so dont push yourself TOO much and concentrate on your legs instead of NAAM. (if Your legs hurt that bad leave them stretched out and still carry on with your naam abiyaas, don’t let this affect your abiyaas)

2. Concentration is key, concentrate on the simran or bani and dont think about your legs too much, sometimes pushing yourself just a little bit may help you, but as stated before dont push yourself too much. Just as the old saying goes "Dont Start Running if you havent learnt to walk".

3. Also if you have a laptop and you use it to surf the internet, do work etc...Maybe it would be a good idea to sit down on the floor with your legs crossed with your laptop infront of you, just so your legs get used to the chawnkaree. (Yes I know, It sounds funny but it works well)

4. Attend Rainsbhaees and other Programs and sit intune with SaadhSangat.

5. Most Importantly, do AARDAS to Guru Sahib. We take aardas very lightly and it is probably one of the most important aspects of a Gursikhee Jeevan.

There are probably more helpful tips to make one sit longer and maybe other gurmukh pyareh can shed some light on this.

On a final note, one thing that I do wish to state is that everything happens with Guru Sahibs Kirpa and most importantly NEVER GIVE UP!!

ਕਰਮਹੀਣਧਨਕਰੈਬਿਨੰਤੀਕਦਿਨਾਨਕਆਵੈਵਾਰੀ ॥

ਸਭਿਸੁਹਾਗਣਿਮਾਣਹਿਰਲੀਆਇਕਦੇਵਹੁਰਾਤਿਮੁਰਾਰੀ ॥੧॥

The unfortunate soul-bride makes this prayer: O Nanak, when will my turn come?

All the blessed soul-brides celebrate and make merry; bless me as well with a night of bliss, O Lord. ||1||

do you know that posture, that yoga people do? i think its called the lotus pose. Where they cross their legs like over one another. Well when you sit like that, its much more comfortable, and there is less strain on your legs. But there is more starin on your gluteus maximus lol. But that pain is easier to handle. The only thing you have get more flexible to do it first, but its worth it than the conventional way of sitting down crossed legged.

Hanjee, there are many Yoga excercises that dass has seen that can help many people.

From a personal perspective I think that when our mind is absorbed into something it is very difficult for anything else to get in its "way". For example When playing a computer game our minds full concentration will be on the game. I can garantuee that if we were to play the game with out legs crossed we wouldnt complain about the "pain" in our legs or that our legs have gone to sleep.

The control is in the mind.....

ਮਨੁਜੀਤੇਜਗੁਜੀਤਿਆਜਾਂਤੇਬਿਖਿਆਤੇਹੋਇਉਦਾਸ॥੨॥

Conquering the mind, one conquers the world, and then remains detached from corruption. ||2||