Keeping A Dog In The House

Khalasthan86

We can see this aurgument from two perspectives:

1. The Bujjer Kurehit is eating the animal itself. But feeding the animal to a dog isn't a Bujjer Kurehit, because you're not consuming it yourself. As stated in an earlier post, it is made clear through Bhai Gurdaas Jee varan that Guru Hargobind Sahib kept dogs. These dogs hunted and therefore eat meat. Guru Gobind Singh had a Baaj, and this Baaj was also utilised to assist Guru Sahib in hunting. This Baaj evidently eat meat. Whether these animals kept by Guru Sahib eat the meat according to their own will, or by the hukam of Guru Sahib is a question in itself which I don't think personally we have the answer to, however the only thing we can say is that these animals must've ate meat, and our Guru Sahibs and Gursikhs certainly were aware of this.

2. The difference between now and then is that we don't keep our dogs for hunting. They are not in their natural habitat where we can say that meat is a part of their food chain. Therefore if dogs are capable of staying away from their natural habitats then they are more then capable of changing their diet to a meat-free diet, obviously with the support of their masters.

Another point to consider is that the way animals are being slaughtered on a mass scale in this fire of Kaljug is horrendous. By buying this meat for our dogs, we are only supporting the killing of animals on a mass scale, which overall is going to have some effect to our Karma. It may be natural for the dog to eat the meat, however the dog has to naturally hunt the meat in order to eat it.

In conclusion...

My personal view is that I think there is no problem with keeping a dog and the dog should be entitled to it's natural resource. However there may be a price to pay, in the context of karma, by buying meat products from a money covetous animal murdering industry.

I would like to hear others views on my points. Thank you for reading.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can see this aurgument from two perspectives:

1. The Bujjer Kurehit is eating the animal itself. But feeding the animal to a dog isn't a Bujjer Kurehit, because you're not consuming it yourself. As stated in an earlier post, it is made clear through Bhai Gurdaas Jee varan that Guru Hargobind Sahib kept dogs. These dogs hunted and therefore eat meat. Guru Gobind Singh had a Baaj, and this Baaj was also utilised to assist Guru Sahib in hunting. This Baaj evidently eat meat. Whether these animals kept by Guru Sahib eat the meat according to their own will, or by the hukam of Guru Sahib is a question in itself which I don't think personally we have the answer to, however the only thing we can say is that these animals must've ate meat, and our Guru Sahibs and Gursikhs certainly were aware of this.

2. The difference between now and then is that we don't keep our dogs for hunting. They are not in their natural habitat where we can say that meat is a part of their food chain. Therefore if dogs are capable of staying away from their natural habitats then they are more then capable of changing their diet to a meat-free diet, obviously with the support of their masters.

Another point to consider is that the way animals are being slaughtered on a mass scale in this fire of Kaljug is horrendous. By buying this meat for our dogs, we are only supporting the killing of animals on a mass scale, which overall is going to have some effect to our Karma. It may be natural for the dog to eat the meat, however the dog has to naturally hunt the meat in order to eat it.

In conclusion...

My personal view is that I think there is no problem with keeping a dog and the dog should be entitled to it's natural resource. However there may be a price to pay, in the context of karma, by buying meat products from a money covetous animal murdering industry.

I would like to hear others views on my points. Thank you for reading.

Gud reply mate !

what do u mean by "animals being slaughtered on a mass scale" it is animal farming as u grow wheat and rice and cut them for food in same way u grow hen and goats and cut them ... there would be hardly 100 titars in punjab nearest relative to chicken but lakhs of chicken on the other side is it natural i dont think so ... chicken are produced to eat its a cycle ...

and by saying "The Bujjer Kurehit is eating the animal itself. But feeding the animal to a dog isn't a Bujjer Kurehit, because you're not consuming it yourself. As stated in an earlier post, it is made clear through Bhai Gurdaas Jee varan that Guru Hargobind Sahib kept dogs"

its like saying killing a human by ur hands is bad but if u can get some else to kill him its not bad ...

in very clears words i would only like to say u cant feed urself or anyone else in this word on a non living thing everything has to be killed before converting into energy to live be at plants animals or microscopic cells like curd ...

All five takths say bajjar kurehat is u cant eat kutha NOT because goat is an animal but because its slaughters in a muslim way and is a kurbani ... so avoid using Bajjar kurehat with meat unless someone thinks his specific JATHEBANDI is bigger then even Takhats ...

In My Opinion,

ONLY Chatka MAYBE Permitted. And THIS Chatka HAS a MARYAADAA!!! It Includes an ARDAS (EVEN FOR THE ANIMAL), BANI BEING RECITED, AND DOING THE CHATKA YOURSELF!!!! EVERYTIME!!! EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!! EVERYTHING ELSE is HARAAM!!

THERE IS GUBANI TO FULLY SUPPORT COMPASSIONATE VEGETARIAN DIETS. THERE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH EVEN RECENT PROOF OF CHARDI KALA SOORMA SAINT WARRIOR KHALSAS THAT SHOW VEGETARIAN DIETS DOES NOT TAKE AWAY EVEN AN IOTA OF WARRIOR SPIRIT CHARDI KALA!!!

JUST AS FLOWERS AND OTHER BEAUTIFUL CREATIONS SPREAD BEAUTIFUL FRAGRANCE IN THE WORLD, SO DO THE VARIETY OF SENTIENT CREATURES!!

FACTORY FARMING IS NOT A PURATAN WAY!!! FACTORY FARMING FEEDS OFF THE EVILS IN HUMANS!!! IT IS A GREEDY INHUMANE EVIL THAT HAS TURNED THE WORLD UPSIDE DOWN!!! IF IT WASN'T FOR FACTORY FARMING; THE WHOLE WORLD WOULD BE EATING HEALTHY BEAUTIFUL VEGETARIAN/VEGAN FOODS TO THEIR FILL!!! NO ONE WOULD GO HUNGRY!!! DO YOUR RESEARCH!! IGNORANT PEOPLE WORK WITH THE STATUS QUO!!!

BEAUTIFUL THICK DAAL AND ROTI (AND OTHER BIBEKI VEGETARIAN/VEGAN FOODS) ARE CHARDI KALA!! THERE ARE AMPLE BEAUTIFUL VEGETARIAN/VEGAN FOODS TO KEEP THE ENTIRE WORLD IN CHARDI KALA!!!

DO YOUR RESEARCH FOR FORMULATED VEGAN DIETS FOR DOGS!!! AND HUMANS DO NOT NEED TO KILL FISH, BIRDS AND ANIMALS FOR THEIR SADISTIC PLEASURE EITHER!!!!

CHARDI KALA!!!

what do u mean by "animals being slaughtered on a mass scale" it is animal farming as u grow wheat and rice and cut them for food in same way u grow hen and goats and cut them ... there would be hardly 100 titars in punjab nearest relative to chicken but lakhs of chicken on the other side is it natural i dont think so ... chicken are produced to eat its a cycle ...

and by saying "The Bujjer Kurehit is eating the animal itself. But feeding the animal to a dog isn't a Bujjer Kurehit, because you're not consuming it yourself. As stated in an earlier post, it is made clear through Bhai Gurdaas Jee varan that Guru Hargobind Sahib kept dogs"

its like saying killing a human by ur hands is bad but if u can get some else to kill him its not bad ...

in very clears words i would only like to say u cant feed urself or anyone else in this word on a non living thing everything has to be killed before converting into energy to live be at plants animals or microscopic cells like curd ...

All five takths say bajjar kurehat is u cant eat kutha NOT because goat is an animal but because its slaughters in a muslim way and is a kurbani ... so avoid using Bajjar kurehat with meat unless someone thinks his specific JATHEBANDI is bigger then even Takhats ...

Veer Jee thank you for your reply.

I believe your notion to be incorrect in the context that you believe that animal farming to be correct. Animal farming is nothing to do with mother natures food chain. It is an unnatural man-made method to produce a monetary return. Therefore the whole conceptual idea and the actual killing of animals is only based on a vice, possessed by us weak humans, Guru Granth Sahib Jee describes as Greed. To satisfy the the greed of man, us humans have resorted to the killing of animals in a mass-scale. If we believe ever-prevalient God to exist even in animals, through the unique entity of the soul, then man would never kill animal. This is proven by the Gurbani Tukh below:

[i]bhugath giaan dhaeiaa bha(n)ddaaran ghatt ghatt vaajehi naadh ||
Let spiritual wisdom be your food, and compassion your attendant. The Sound-current of the Naad vibrates in each and every heart.[/i]

Above it is proven that Guru Sahib is instructing us have compassion in our hearts. How can we posses this Godly-merit if we are killing the animals created by Waheguru Himself. Killing of animals neglects this merit, and rather posses the demerit of selfishness, greediness, ruthless, and clearly negligence of God Himself - Ego.

I'm not sure about the logic behind what you've just said, however if you want to look at this argument in the perspective of Science, then I would also like to prove my points through "clear words." Science has proven that plants, vegetables, and other food in vegetarian diet have no nervous system. If you know what a nervous system is then you would also know that humans and animals do have a nervous system. Below I have extracted how humans and animals incur pain through the nervous system:

[quote]Put simply, sensory nerves send impulses about what is happening in our environment to the brain via the spinal cord. The brain sends information back to the motor nerves, which help us perform actions. [/quote]

Plants and vegetables don't have the above system implemented into them. Therefore suggesting that when they are taken out of their roots or cut, no pain is felt by them. Therefore compassion can't be felt on something which doesn't feel pain. However killing animals in anyway, whether it be through the ritual of Chatka (which its significance in the Sikh religion has yet to be proven) or mass industry led animal killing clearly shows no compassion towards the animal that is subject to the killing. The reason for this is that humans and animals can incur pain. And anything in life which we are aware of that is feeling pain, we do feel compassion. We cannot call ourselves 'learners' of the Guru, if we fail to neglect the simple teaching of having compassion for animals, humans and other entities made by God.

I would like to end my post by leaving the Sangat a notion to think about. Humans have been given this blessed life, and in this human life we have been given the merit of understanding and discerning between right and wrong. Animals on the other hand are less fortunate that they are not able to understand this concept. Our Guru has given us the ultimate knowledge to understand, which is to recognise and acknowledge the unique entity of God's power manifested in all living things in this universe. By inflicting pain on to Gods creatures which can feel this pain, are we truly recognising and acknowledging God in them? Are we receiving Gods happiness and blessings by inflicting pain on animals?

Another thought I would like to leave is that if we believe in the notion of Karma, in the context that we are rewarded or punished according to the actions we commit. What will be result of inflicting pain on the creatures of God?

Thank you for your time.

Brother i never pressed on promoting meat eating but i m always against promoting vegism on the name of sikhi and better thinking ...

If we believe ever-prevalient God to exist even in animals, through the unique entity of the soul, then man would never kill animal.

We cant we see same God in plants ? Is God in Humans and Animals is different from God in plants and trees ? Every thing is God so this thing doesnt satisfy me this sense of partiality between animals and plants on the name of God ... its doesnt hold ...

We see blood coming out we see an animal trying to breath we see an animal helpless which disturbs our mind and we say this is not and hence feel pity ... we doesnt see the God's seed in the form of Atma moving out of the body ... if we see atma moving out of body which we call God in the body we would have felt same sadness and vairag when we see a big falling on the ground ... an Atma has left the body of a goat and we eat it and the same atma has left a tree and we made our doors ... and on the name of sikhi we call one accpetable and other is not ...

This is the only reason Guru Nanak sahib said ... oh religious scholars you hold your nose on seeing meat but u know nothing about spirtuality ...

See God in all you will be part of God one day See god only in animals and call it teachings of sikhi i dont think so one can get mukti ...

bhugath giaan dhaeiaa bha(n)ddaaran ghatt ghatt vaajehi naadh ||

Above it is proven that Guru Sahib is instructing us have compassion in our hearts. How can we posses this Godly-merit if we are killing the animals created by Waheguru Himself. Killing of animals neglects this merit, and rather posses the demerit of selfishness, greediness, ruthless, and clearly negligence of God Himself - Ego.

Well you are wrong here in our sikh history of 500 years we have both meat eaters and non meat eaters as puran brham geyanis who have possed this Godly-merit ... if ur statement was true then we wouldnt had even one 1 sant who ate meat ...

there is one khavat in punjab i dont remember it ful about the sants of kaum

Baba Nand Singh Pura

Baba Isher Singh (sorry i forgot)

Baba Jarnail Singh Sura

In the history of our kaum there is only one sant who was given updhi of sant by Akal Takht and he is baba Nand singh ji there is no second person in our kaum who was declared saint by Akal Takht ... they had a samdhi of 8 days non stop and it was a normal thing for them ... without food and water sitting for 8 - days and nights and remebering God its clear that they had made made spirtual wisdom their food as directed by guru granth sahib but its a well know fact that baba nand singh ji used to do jhatka and cooked meat langars ...

so i dont think with what i can see in our history that only vegis can reach God and non vegis cant ... in the end it would be only your naam simren nitname and rehat which would decide nothing else ...

I'm not sure about the logic behind what you've just said, however if you want to look at this argument in the perspective of Science, then I would also like to prove my points through "clear words." Science has proven that plants, vegetables, and other food in vegetarian diet have no nervous system. If you know what a nervous system is then you would also know that humans and animals do have a nervous system. Below I have extracted how humans and animals incur pain through the nervous system:

well i agree with ur point that animals feel pain and plants dont and i m happy to see people deciding to be vegi for this reason ...

what i said was Energy cannot be created it can only be converted ... and to get energy we need to eat energy ... if we eat non living things such as plastic sand glass metal stones ... we may fill our tummy but we will not be able to get energy from them ... because they dont had any energy ... in order to live we have to eat living things only because only living things have energy ... be it anything ... i cant even think of even one food which was never living and can give us energy to live ...

Thats why guru arjun sahib said " living beings are food of living beings"

There is not even a single form of food in this universe which is produced from non living thing ...

I would like to end my post by leaving the Sangat a notion to think about.

This thinking is creating a problem ... see we all are sikhs we have 5 takhts these 5 jathedars are guru roop in sikh kaum ... there are hardly any things today in kaum that these 5 takhts have a common yes ... and one of these things is 5 bania of amrit sanchar 4 kurehatan and 5 kakkar ...

Darshan singh challenged these 5 bania read in amrit sanchar and we call him panth dokhi ... but we are challenging these 4 kurretiyan how are we different from Darshan singh ? Someone told darshan singh to think and gave him few reasons and he came up with jaap sahib should be replaced with sukhmani sahib in amrit sanchars ... someone told us to think and we replaced kutha with maas in one of the four kurehat and start doing its parchar ... who are we if not Darshan Singhs ?

Today its sad that sikhism its rehat mareyada is just made a game of majority and minority power and powerless NOT the right and wrong ... just few years back when sant samaj was powerless nanakshai calender was passed same reasons were given then but majority was on the side of nanakshahi calender ... today sant samaj grew up as a power and same reasons were given to the same people and changes were done ... takht hazzor sahib has no say in 5 singh sahibs hukam namas were passed with head granthi of darbar sahib as 5 th singh ... after 300 saala hazzor sahib is back in power with the endless support of sangat now no hukamnama is passed without the sign of hazur sahib ...

its sad part sikh kaum is going through of numbers ... and i m sure as each one of us including is challenging amrit sanchars and rehat and guru soon there will be amrit sanchars on this planet earth by few people with no jaap sahib chaupai sahib ... its just matter of years wait and watch ...

Sorry for the long posts and spelling mistakes :|