The Sikh Story: 1984 - Bbc 1 Documentary & Discussions On The Sikh Channel

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki Fateh

Come on Guys, we need to get real here.

Did you ever really think this documentary was gonna present the view of June 84 events as most of us belive happened.

Forget who presented it, it could have been any muppet (with an indian sounding name) the BBC had put fwd, end of day, the BBC is the biggest tv channel in uk and thus 1 of the most powerful media outlet of our government, thus any programme produced by uk about 84 would "be done as to not upset it's friend - the indian government". You really think the BBC would produce a programme that showed the indian govenment and their actions in a true light!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well the bbc has previously shown documentaries exposing the hindutva agenda touching on the rss and explainh how often organisations like rss are gvt backed!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki Fateh

Come on Guys, we need to get real here.

Did you ever really think this documentary was gonna present the view of June 84 events as most of us belive happened.

Forget who presented it, it could have been any muppet (with an indian sounding name) the BBC had put fwd, end of day, the BBC is the biggest tv channel in uk and thus 1 of the most powerful media outlet of our government, thus any programme produced by uk about 84 would "be done as to not upset it's friend - the indian government". You really think the BBC would produce a programme that showed the indian govenment and their actions in a true light!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well the bbc has previously shown documentaries exposing the hindutva agenda touching on the rss and explainh how often organisations like rss are gvt backed!

Gurfateh ji

My point was a document of this nature on BBC is going to be politically controlled for certain aspects, there's no doubt about that

The programme was very poor and unbalanced. If they wanted to tackle the '1984' story, then not only are 1978 Massacre and Anandpur Sahib Resolution key but also many events since 1947.

Why haven't they researched in to how Punjab was split in 1966 on linguistic grounds, the Punjab river waters diverted, why Sikhs who compromise 2% of the population of India are subject of over 60% of Indian films and TV serials where they are largely portrayed as criminals or uneducated bumbling idiots who believe in Sikhism when it suits them and the rest of the time in Hinduism. Isn't this part of a conspiracy to turn the larger community against the Sikhs whilst confusing the Sikhs as to their own identity? Fair enough, the programme had to be diluted down for the mainstream but too many key points were omitted for it to be considered an accurate and balanced account. If she's adding Mark Tully's personal views why not counter it with stories of the likes of babies Satnam and Vaheguru kaur?

Even though the families were celebrating Diwali together at the end and everything was hunkey dorey, why didnt the programme mention how the Government up until this day supports every group out there which attack the tenets of Sikhism from the likes of Namdharis and Nirankaris to Jhoota Sauda, Ashutosh etc...

If it was truly her personal journey and not just a programme to boost BBC ratings on a Sunday night, it would have been better if the programme focused on her interaction with victims of the Sikh Holocaust and their lives after Gandhi's assasination. They gave the 18 year old stall kid who wasn't even born at the time way more airtime than H S Phoolka who has and is fighting for the victims of the Holocaust with every breath.

I get the view that Nagra needed a quick idea to work on and Deol was trying to boost her dying career. As far as researcher Jay Sohal is concerned, you need to work alot harder matey especially on your 21 Sikhs project. Don't just sit in your offices today reading these comments thinking you can't please everyone. True you can't, but you could at least produce an accurate programme when you've been given the chance too.

Which also reminds me, if your so cut up about it all Deol, if you havent already done so, it would be nice to donate a little bit of the royalties to the Trilokpuri widows or Mohinder Kaur don't you think?

bbc are not afriad of the uk govt, i dont see why they would be afraid of indian govt. biggchan, if he program covered all the points you mention then it would have carried on al night. there was not a natural balance to the program, the point in Sant Jarnail Singhs life when he became more open in criticism of indian govt was put down to imple burning of speeches, which is riduculous.

the 2 main points that should have been raised in this issue were vasaikhi 1978, and burning of Sri Aad Guru Darbar at Chando Kalan by police. especially the chando kalan burning as the 1978 was avenged, but the chando kalan incident left a great bitterness in Sant Ji's mind over the govt's heavy-handedness.

probably sonia bhenji was the only face that wold fit for a prog like this, cos if you had a someone who looked like a sikh more, then the detractors would put it down to impartiality. And also tha fact that even sonia bhenji with her lifestyle has even used the words " getting baptised" is a big move. I think that one day she will have enough feedback on this prog and Sant Ji's life, to know that she could have done a better job.

I think we all need to stop jumping up and down and be realistic here.

They was never gonna let sonia deol or jaswinder kaur sidhu whatever her name is, go to Punjab and make a Biased 1 hour programme and air it on BBC.

The BBC decided to interview Mark .B.S. Tully. Lets face it , hes allways disliked Bhindranwale.

Overall it was rubbish. But Sonia Deol did clearly come across showing that she changed her previous views on 1984 and golden temple resistence.

Sonia Deol was careful with her choice of wording at times.

I also think this was a desperate attempt by Sonia to try and get a bit of credability back with the Sikh community who seemed to have done everything but ex-communicate her since her antics

on her poxy radio show.

Before the programme I disliked her. I openly said on many occasions that someone needs 2 give her a good SLAP cuz of her past programmes. But after watching the programme, I can see she made an effort.

She grilled Kuldeep Brar quite a bit and lets face it, we have never seen that before, let alone even a proper interview with him.

The BBC editorial made the decision to put Mark B.S. Tully in it. It wasnt her decision. And we all knew what he would say wasnt gonna be to our liking.

Minus all the B.S , it wasnt toooo bad. Meeting the Widdows colony had an impact on her. As well as talking to witnesses who told her the gursome detaills like innocent resident singhs wife's head getting blown clean off with by a grenade. Lets hope from now on in future she takes a more pro-sikh stance when involved in debates or programmes regarding sikhs and 1984. Education goes a long way.

She learned something during the making of the programme. No amount of insults could ever achieve that. Education goes a long way.

If any1 missed it heres the link to watch it online below. They tried to squeeze in 2 sides of a story into an hour (if u want to call their lies a side).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pzc69/1984_A_Sikh_Story/

I agree mostly with AK47 Lion Jee here, this was a programme which should've been a part 1-6 it's not guys but it could still be!!!.

Instead of bashing Sonia Deol, Tommy Nagra, we need amritdhari Sikhs to get involved in media/communications. Sonia and Tommy when interviewed at the Sikh Channel the other day clearly stress that from both Muslim and Sikh communities there is no input into media careers, God knows why??? This is something our upcoming generations need to focus on, being professional, intelligent enough pursue such careers , so indeed you will one day have influence in companies such as the BBC to bring about the programmes so badly needed.

Bashing others is not going to achieve anything, if you can see some one change their views from the past then this should be highly respected ,and we should help, and must also change to educate others intelligently as possible.

The programme for me wasn't everything I wanted it to be, I also have those feelings of hurt , but due to the BBC broadcasting it , it was excellent and much needed, and hope it grows further, which I think it will after having listened to both Tommy and Sonia on the Sikh Channel interview the night before which was excellent. However it needs our input into careers such as media

The documentary should have been titled, "How I woke up one morning and thought to keep my career afloat I will link my tenuous link with Sikhi with the events of 1984 by doing a documentary by an organisation who love Islam more than any other religion".

Dear Sikh Sangat, why do we need documentaries presented by a lightweight journalists as Sonia Deol, go to Amazon and you will find a whole series of books by well respected heavyweight authors about Sikhs and yes some of the books are very expensive but quality does not come cheap. I have a copy of the original DVD Amu by Shonali Bose who has done more in highlighting the pogroms of 1984 than the SPGC, DSGMC, Akali Dal, etc. etc.

comments below are the exact reason why we are so unintelligent..

The documentary should have been titled, "How I woke up one morning and thought to keep my career afloat I will link my tenuous link with Sikhi with the events of 1984 by doing a documentary by an organisation who love Islam more than any other religion".

comments below are the exact reason why we are so unintelligent..