Explain Importance Of Sangrand

serious gupt

Sangrand in itself is not an extra special/holy day - it is just like any other day. However, it is the beginning of the new month and Maharaaj Jee has written Bani in relation to each month (two Baareh Maahas in Gurbani - in Raag Maajh and Tukhari). I unfortunately do not do Abhiyaas of Baareh Maaha da Paath every day, though try to use each Sangrand to do Paath of these Baniaan, and in particular, focus on what Sandesh Maharaaj Jee is giving for the particular month. Other Gursikhs do this as well, and this is the reason that the name of the month and Bani related to the month from Baareh Maaha Maajh is read at Darbar Sahib and countless other Gurdwaras across the world on each Sangrand.

Historically, in Punjab, Pooranmashi, Sangrand and Massiyaa are days which the general public knows of, and accordingly, there are Diwans arranged on these days every month so that Sangat can go and take Laaha of Jor-Melas, Raensbaaes, Akhand Paath Bhogs, etc., as there will definitely be a programme on these days.

For example, at Nanaksar Kaleraan, Baba Nand Singh Jee arranged for Smaagams on each of these days and Sangat attended in their thousands. This tradition continues even today. The monthly Smaagam at Gurdwara Parmeshwar Dwaar is held on Sangrand every month. Since this is pukka Diwan of Sant Baba Ranjit Singh Jee, Sangat always attends in their tens of thousands. In this respect, these days are special as they provide the opportunity for Sangat every month.

Nanaksar Sampardhaa also celebrates Pooranmashi because this is the day that Guru Nanak Dev Jee Maharaaj chose to come on this planet. Now, Baba Nand Singh Jee said that we should remember Guru Nanak Dev Jee's coming into this world every day at Amritvela - this will give us the objective of our life on a daily basis. However, if we can't do this everyday, then at least we can do it at every Pooranmashi. This is why every Puranmashi at Nanaksar Kaleran is dedicated to Guru Nanak Dev Jee, and his coming into the world.

Waheguroo

how about using this logic....

like we have public holidays in england, or there are holidays in india where people take the days of work.

How about we use sangrand and puranmashi days as an excuse to get the sangat together and hold a divaan..... the idea that it is sangrand or puranmashi can just be our excuse, to hold a kirtan darbar, and get everyone together, even the sangat that would normally not attend, they might come, and that way we start our month etc in Guru jees charan, and get lahaa.

i know alot of monay in my family who would go to the gurdwara on new years eve because they know that there will be a big kirtan darbar, (and EVERYONE will be there). Otherwise they may only attend once a month, or once a week on a sunday.

So wouldnt be a bad idea to implement in all gurdwaray

its just a bahanaa to go...... i think thats a good enough reason

there are things like the positioning and energy of the moon and how it affects the energy of the human body during full /half moon etc, which we can channel positively through kirtan and simran but i dont know enough to get into a arguement or debate with any internet warlords :)

Guest PunjabSingh

None, everyday is a blessing for a Sikh. Routing our lives around the comings and goings of the moon is akin to idol worship, Bhaman ritualism or iSlamic disconformity.

The punjabi culture is too submerged in the duality of worship.

I agree totally.

As far as I know Pooran Mashi* (Full moon) Has no real spiritual or sikh related meaning... In the old days just as a couple of the above posters have mentioned is basically a time of the month when even in the old days when people didn't look at calendars and stuff would know that it's time to go get together (when the moon would be full geddit?_).. So just like a time for people to get together and do Keertan.. Pooran Mashi is just another day other than that when the moon is Pooran meaning complete or full.

Just as earth is divided into longitudes and lattitudes so is sky divided into 12 segments.These are known as zodiac signs.

Earth revolves around sun and when it enters from one zodiac sign into the next one , the first day of entry is called sangrad.

Just as morning, noon and evening cann't be called a Hindu time likewise it is plain ignorance to call sangrad as Hindu.

Our Gurus have acknowledged sangrad and that is the reason barah mahan is there.