Is Love Forbidden In Sikhi?

SinghniKaur

"Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!"

I wanted to know that are Sikh's forbidden of love? Does it say in the Guru Granth Sahib Ji that it is forbidden?

That would be great if we have some opinions on this topic becuse people are very confused about this!

"Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!"

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

No, love is not forbidden - love all as your brothers/sisters/mother/father. When you get married, love your spouse, don't get into pangey outside of marriage.

The greatest love is reserved for Waheguru.

Hope this helps.

if ur thinking of the whole boyfriend girlfriend love thingy, then yea thats not a good thing

gurbani says "saachi preet hum tum sio jori, tum sio jor, avar sang tori"

meaning "i have joined in true love with you waheguru ji, with u i have joined, and with others i have broken away"

and plus, how are we supposed to fall in love with maharaj if we are worried about somebody else all the time??

Love that brings you close to God is the only Love that is accepted by Guru Sahib.

Yes, I'm being a complete hypocrite here :rolleyes: I don't follow that myself, but hey, do as I say not as I do :p

where in my post did i say anything about not carying about wife or kids? plz, instead of posting like a little kid, maybe you could read wat is written and post accordingly. theres no reason to make a thread longer then it has to be with silly comments like that.

clearly in the first line, it says boyfriend and girlfriend. now how does that turn into wife and kids?? is ur wife ur boyfriend? i hope not. is ur wife ur girlfriend? no cuz shes ur wife. now would ur kids be ur boyfriend? no dont think so. would ur kids be ur girlfriend? no that wouldnt work either. so where on earth did u get wife and kids out of wat i posted, which was clearly ment for the boyfriend/girlfriend situation

and plus, how are we supposed to fall in love with maharaj if we are worried about somebody else all the time??

so that means you don't have to give a fk about your wife / kids because .... I shouldn't worry about them

err no, did you read the whole post. wasn't exactly long was it. that was about girlfriend/boyfriend thing - which is just to do with kaam anyway.

hopefully your wife and kids should be following the same path.

and actually many many many times in gurbani it says about detaching yourself from all in the world

ਮਨ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਤੂ ਸਦਾ ਸਚੁ ਸਮਾਲੇ

O beloved mind, contemplate the True Lord forever.

ਏਹੁ

This family which you see shall not go along with you.

ਸਾਥਿ

They shall not go along with you, so why do you focus your attention on them?

ਐਸਾ

Don't do anything that you will regret in the end.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ

Listen to the Teachings of the True Guru - these shall go along with you.

ਕਹੈ ॥੧੧॥

Says Nanak, O beloved mind, contemplate the True Lord forever. ||11||

ਧ੍ਰਿਗੰਤ ਮਾਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਸਨੇਹੰ ਧ੍ਰਿਗ ਸਨੇਹੰ ਭ੍ਰਾਤ ਬਾਂਧਵਹ

Cursed is loving attachment to one's mother and father; cursed is loving attachment to one's siblings and relatives.

ਧ੍ਰਿਗ

Cursed is attachment to the joys of family life with one's spouse and children.

ਧ੍ਰਿਗ

Cursed is attachment to household affairs.

<a class="dict" href="http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=%E0%A8%B8%E0%A8%BE%E0%A8%A7%E0%A8%B8%E0%A9%B0%E0%A8%97" onmouseover="ddrivetip('iSāḏẖsang /i', 250)" ;="" onmouseout="hideddrivetip()">ਸਾਧਸੰਗ ਸ੍ਨੇਹ ਸਤ੍ਯ੍ਯਿੰ ਸੁਖਯੰ ਬਸੰਤਿ ਨਾਨਕਹ ॥੨॥

Only loving attachment to the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, is True. Nanak dwells there in peace. ||2||

- that doesn't mean you throw them aside. grihasti jeevan is guru ji's hukam - just don't get caught up in it so much that you forget all about guru ji's hukam.

and sorry IF anything bad happened to you or someone you know, but don't blame the teachings of sikhi for it (remember i said IF)

i guess i started posting just as you posted shastr, search copy and paste took some mins

I would like to believe that Love, compassion, understanding, friendship, amongst other positive feelings are exactly what is necessary by us to live a life in Rising Spirit. Note, attachment, and discerning affection are different things. We give our affection to our loved ones, because we have been endowed to protect them, care for them, share joy with them, grow with them, and obtain God Union with them. A wise person, or a sage only can understand the Gurbani quotes given above.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

No, love is not forbidden - love all as your brothers/sisters/mother/father. When you get married, love your spouse, don't get into pangey outside of marriage.

The greatest love is reserved for Waheguru.

Hope this helps.

Well... yes true... but i wanted to know about boyfriend and girlfriend thing... but thnx anycse!! x

Let me be little more clearer if you think others were not clear enough for you.

You meet a girl, you get impressed by her beauty/intellect/cuteness/sincerety or whatever it is. So now you just think about that girl, practically almost all the time. You are in a chakkarview of first getting her to go on date with you or whatever. Your thoughts circle around her, how to make her yours. Did you through all this time, think about, rabb jee I will stay where you will keep me, rab jee, I will follow your order, stay in your bhana. Rab jee, main kuri bare sochda haan, par nitnem vele poora dhiyaan nitnem vich hee hai, not planning which movie you are going to see on friday night, and what drinks, and which restaurant you will take her to and would you have a chance today to kiss her and..................

So Where is Waheguru??

Is Waheguru taking over your thoughts or Kuri/Munda??

How many things you did to impress Waheguru as compared to things you do to impress Kuri or munda?

I am happily married. Can tell you from experience, there is nothing to worry about. You have a girl/munda made for you, just wait for the right time for that. Dont' worry. Even if you don't try to find a girl or boy, person will come in your way one way or the other. Remember, rub jee is the director of this life show we are part of. Director knows when to introduce which actor or actress. Don't you worry. The film of our life will end with us being grandparens of buch of grandkids :-)) now who is the grandma or grandpa of our grandkids, Waheguru got it all planned out for us. Yeah, even our daughter/sons and daughter/son-in-laws are already chosen too. So do you feel its really neccessary to get in some unneccessary pangevaji with a girl or boy. I feel not.

If it was me, I would devote most of my time to my studies and atleast dasvand of 24hrs to nam simran in one way or the other (reading banis, listening to keertan/katha, doing sewa at Gurughar, community service etc. etc.

There is line in Gurbani, I don't know how it starts, so cann't find in SIKHITOTHEMAX (anyone remembers, please do post)

"bhagatan de karj aap karda.............."

It somehow means, that God himself takes care of the affairs of the devotees. Here is another relavant Shabad.

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Tilang on Pannaa 724

iqlµg mhlw 5 Gru 3 ]

thila(n)g mehalaa 5 ghar 3 ||

Tilang, Fifth Mehla, Third House:

imhrvwnu swihbu imhrvwnu ]

miharavaan saahib miharavaan ||

Merciful, the Lord Master is Merciful.

swihbu myrw imhrvwnu ]

saahib maeraa miharavaan ||

My Lord Master is Merciful.

jIA sgl kau dyie dwnu ] rhwau ]

jeea sagal ko dhaee dhaan || rehaao ||

He gives His gifts to all beings. ||Pause||

qU kwhy folih pRwxIAw quDu rwKYgw isrjxhwru ]

thoo kaahae ddolehi praaneeaa thudhh raakhaigaa sirajanehaar ||

Why do you waver, O mortal being? The Creator Lord Himself shall protect you.

ijin pYdwieis qU kIAw soeI dyie AwDwru ]1]

jin paidhaaeis thoo keeaa soee dhaee aadhhaar ||1||

He who created you, will also give you nourishment. ||1||

ijin aupweI mydnI soeI krdw swr ]

jin oupaaee maedhanee soee karadhaa saar ||

The One who created the world, takes care of it.

Git Git mwlku idlw kw scw prvdgwru ]2]

ghatt ghatt maalak dhilaa kaa sachaa paravadhagaar ||2||

In each and every heart and mind, the Lord is the True Cherisher. ||2||

kudriq kIm n jwxIAY vfw vyprvwhu ]

kudharath keem n jaaneeai vaddaa vaeparavaahu ||

His creative potency and His value cannot be known; He is the Great and carefree Lord.

kir bMdy qU bMdgI ijcru Gt mih swhu ]3]

kar ba(n)dhae thoo ba(n)dhagee jichar ghatt mehi saahu ||3||

O human being, meditate on the Lord, as long as there is breath in your body. ||3||

qU smrQu AkQu Agocru jIau ipMfu qyrI rwis ]

thoo samarathh akathh agochar jeeo pi(n)dd thaeree raas ||

O God, You are all-powerful, inexpressible and imperceptible; my soul and body are Your capital.

rhm qyrI suKu pwieAw sdw nwnk kI Ardwis ]4]3]

reham thaeree sukh paaeiaa sadhaa naanak kee aradhaas ||4||3||

By Your Mercy, may I find peace; this is Nanak's lasting prayer. ||4||3||

So kar bande tu bangee, baakee waheguru jee te chhud de.

kee paiNa mundiyaa kuRiya de chakkaran vich. Yes, if you find a kuri/munda, which brings you more closer to vaheguru, stay associated with him/her in the form of wanting to have Gursikh sangat, not to go watch movies and fool around.

Did I make clear to you now??

I hope so.