Flickr

Guest ermmm

fortunate,

farla isnt something you have fun with. It's a rank and responsibility given by guru sahib that has a very strict maryada that goes along with it. you cant give your self a farla. after the panth nominates you to receive one, 5 farladhari singhs have to tie the dastar with farla in it. and to even be considered for one is an amazing idea. you have to serve a role in seva for at least 12 years while keeping up maryada nitnem and 12am amritvela. if not 12 years then be very learned in bani gurmat and be doing parchar on a major scale

Ssome of the comments on this thread are just so, so sad. I do understand the importance and respect attached to farla, but just use your rationality here, hes just a 3 years odd old kid that we are talking about! Show this picture to any PROPER bihangham nihang singh from india (not just ANY 'nihang') and ask him whether he also wants to 'correct' this kid because of the 'atrocious' act he has commited. I am sure he will just pick up the kid and give him a big, tight hug and explain to him the importance of farla in a loving way so that one day he might be able to carry one for real. True Naam simran brings compassion and broadmindedness and rationale that we all seem to lack here! The kind of talibanisation of sikhi some of you seem to promote is going to turn people away from sikhi you watch!

Ssome of the comments on this thread are just so, so sad. I do understand the importance and respect attached to farla, but just use your rationality here, hes just a 3 years odd old kid that we are talking about! Show this picture to any PROPER bihangham nihang singh from india (not just ANY 'nihang') and ask him whether he also wants to 'correct' this kid because of the 'atrocious' act he has commited. I am sure he will just pick up the kid and give him a big, tight hug and explain to him the importance of farla in a loving way so that one day he might be able to carry one for real. True Naam simran brings compassion and broadmindedness and rationale that we all seem to lack here! The kind of talibanisation of sikhi some of you seem to promote is going to turn people away from sikhi you watch!

oh shad yaar, kinna naal lag gaya tu. Inna loka da ta eh hisaab aa 'andhey ek na lagai, jio baans bajaiae fook'. sianey kendey hi aa, kuttey di poosh kadey sidhi ni hundi. tu apnia mauj mastia kar, inna nu pai jaan dey raula

vaise have anyone thought, that kid may have dressed for some performance like in gatka class or some other part he played in some sikh play. And mom thought, kid looked cute and took picture. I would. My kids put on their dad's dastar on their head sometimes and we do take pictures as they do look cute. We do plan to have our kids raised in sikhi saroop (babajee mehar karan), I won't mind them wearing bana or having farla either.

Its like all of us, wear Kara. Thats also given by Guru Gobind Singh jee. And Kangha. and other kakkars. Now if someone puts them on without being amritdharee, it shouldn't be a problem as long as kids are concerned (because hopefully they won't be doing mis-presentation of SIKHI symbols on purpose, as I could hope that some adults may). If I stick to the example of KaRa only, is it problem wearing because Panj piyare didn't bless you with amrit yet??

I guess not.

So even though I respect your sentiments, I would say "relax". Give a kid break. Just pray to babaji that one day this kid gets chosen for farla in a proper way.

spot on chatanga veer jeo!

oh shad yaar, kinna naal lag gaya tu. Inna loka da ta eh hisaab aa 'andhey ek na lagai, jio baans bajaiae fook'. sianey kendey hi aa, kuttey di poosh kadey sidhi ni hundi. tu apnia mauj mastia kar, inna nu pai jaan dey raula

Veer Jeo, me ta aap ni chonda si kehna kuch v but ki kara he ta apne hi phraa saare, but eh ta hadd ho gayi aa!!

Sarabloh,

just to reply to your comment, i am fortunate enough to learn and have lived with singhs appointed a farla and other nihang jathay. and understand the utmost importance of this tradition. However just as Amarjit Kaur bhen and my veer chatanga has stated - relax.

its a cute kid and hopefully one day he does grow up to be a singh who is granted the tradition of the farla.

support the bana, don't discourage it.

its all well and good saying its not a problem, or its not offensive. but when a young sikh lad places a peice of kapra in his dumalla (not a farla, just a peice of seperate kapra), it looks like a farla, and then he gets beaten to a pulp by 5 so called "singhs". This baalak is wearing a farla, which he souldnt be. yes it could be just to make a cute picture, or a completely honest mistake, but it is not right. Maryada is Maryada, it doesnt change per person.

Satpunga Veer Jeo, its comments like these that turn young people away from sikhi, please remember that. Do you actually think there are people out there who would beat the kid 'to pulp' just because he innocently posed with farla (and a fake sword) for a picture?? Honestly, some of you guys never cease to amaze me! no.gif

unfortunately this is true. a group of 5 "singhs" beat a 17 year old boy for wearing a fake farla.

if you would kindly look into the search history of this forum, im SURE you will come to the story which i am indicating at....

Vaise there is difference in the 5 year old kid and 17 yr old teen. Their minds work differently. One is cute innocent kid and another is mischievious making fun mind.

Not that I am defending if singhs beat him up rightly or wrongly. I don't know the whole situation. But I can expect that 17yr old would think to make fun of traditions/marayada etc. but 5 yr old won't. He would be curious and feel good that he looks differently and jump in happiness.

Understand the adult/teen/kid mind before you generalize situations.

I think better topic to spend time on would be, how can be realize that this manakhua janam is given to get out of this birth-death cylce. How can we achieve that?

How can be stay attuned with GOD always? How can we successfully see GOD/waheguru in us and in others?

How can we not only listen, read Gurbani, but also understand and see that how Guru Sahib are painting picture of our daily life infront of us in the form of Shabads.

How can we relate to what Gurbani said and use it to lift ourselves up?

The mantra is right infront of us (in SGGSji), how can we learn to appropriately make use of the mantra in our daily life to get the the destination.

We are augaNhar, bhulaNhar, papi, gareeb, maskeen, andhale, kookar, mangte, vista ke keeRe, sookar and a lot more (as outlined in Gurbani and I see that is the truth), how can be become the kind of humans guru sahib want us to be. Guru de singh, Guru de laal, Gursikh, Gurmukh, Bhagat.

I really think that is sometihng to ponder on.

But we do waster hours and hours of the day, days after days, weeks after weeks, months after months discussing, arguing over things which don't really matter that much.

Now instead if we spend these hours reciting some Bani, starting Sahej path and reading 5 ang atleast everyday and if possible read the meaning with it too. Wouldnt' we achieve something?? I am 100% sure, we would.