Sonia Deol's Father Jailed For False Translations At Court

BiggChan

In the documentary (sorry I mean personal journey), she did refer to her father as her 'rock' so it would only be natural to assume she wanted to protect herself and her father from obvious references people would make about his bad character possibly having influenced her upbringing. Therefore it is quite possible that she deleted the page to tactically deflect attention off herself and her father.

Shame on people who call themselves Sikh and are gossiping about this story here on this site. Firstly I am sure there are more important things to discuss in our culture and religion than this case. Secondly, if you believe everything you read you, especially from a tabloid newspaper, you must need your brain checking.

Sonia's father is an incredibly well respected man in our community. He has been both selfless and tireless in helping others which is why so many of us are shocked at what has happened. For those who are not clear about the facts, it is very simple. Sonia's father, Baldev Sidhu was CLEARED of perverting the course of justice. That means he was NOT GUILTY of faking any translations.

So Big Chan your headline to this thread is WRONG! Big Chan can I no start a thread calling you a Robber, a cheat????

Mr.Sidhu was found guilty of perjury. That means that during the earlier trial of Mr.Kumar, Mr.Sidhu when asked said he was on the National Register Of Interpreters when in actual fact his membership had expired three months before, but he didn't realise because he has not seen the reminder letter. When you are on court, this is not seen as an error it is seen as perjury.

It was the prosecution and the News of The World reporter Mazher Mahmood who were trying to SUGGEST that Mr.Sidhu had helped and faked the translations of these secret recordings, but the judge and jury CLEARED MR.SIDHU OF THIS CHARGE!! Now use your head, do you think the News of The World will print this?? and make themselves look daft??? THINK!

Mr.Sidhu during the earlier trial when he was there as a witness said he knew kumar cos his family had bought tickets from his travel agency, all above board. Mr.Sidhu told the truth, but the prosecution stopped the case and decided they were now gonna chase Mr.Sidhu too. So in effect, him telling the truth was now being used against him.

Only judge someone if you know everything.

I cannot believe some of the things I have read on this thread. It breaks my heart and shames me to know that it's people from our own community that can be so cruel and insensitive. For what it is worth, I want to say here that if Mr.Sidhu's family is reading this, we are with you and our prayers are with you during this difficult time. We wish you luck in your appeal and believe justice will be done. You are a rock for our parents and so many in the community. And we do not care what has happened here. For us your REPUTATION FOR BEING AN HONEST HARD WORKING MAN FOR OVER 40 YEARS IS WHAT WE ARE JUDGING YOU BY AND FOR US YOU HAVE ALL THE INTEGRITY, DIGNITY AND GRACE ANYONE COULD WISH FOR. STAND TALL AND BE PROUD AND LET GOD BE THE BIGGEST JUDGE OF ALL, AFTER ALL THIS LIFE IS VERY SHORT AND IT IS HIS COURT WHICH WILL REALLY COUNT AT THE END OF THE DAY. AND ALL THE PEOPLE ON THIS THREAD WHO HAVE SAID THINGS TO HURT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, WELL LET GOD JUDGE HOW THEY SHOULD BE DEALT WITH TOO. AND HE WILL. I HAVE NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT.

WE ARE TAUGHT AS GOOD SIKHS NOT TO GOSSIP.. NINDA... AND THIS IS WHAT WE CHOOSE TO DO ON A FORUM NAMES 'VOICE OF THE SIKH SANGAT'.... RAB THO DARO.

Perjury is a very serious act. An officer of court, particularly lawyers but translators too, MUST not help in Misleading the court in any way or wilfully become a tool at hands of unscruplous elements and supress truth. And ignorance of any law is NOT excusable in any way esp if you represent the judiciary which is a watchdog of democracy. If i was the judge Mr Sidhu would be in jail for ATLEAST two years. Plus his having a relations with the accused brought him in Conflict of interest, which could hamper trial. He should have withdrawn. Another breach of rules, he may very well end up facing disciplinary action.

And while you are looking up at heavens...

1. Mr. Sidhus case was tried in a court of law not of justice.

Perjury is a very serious act. An officer of court, particularly lawyers but translators too, MUST not help in Misleading the court in any way or wilfully become a tool at hands of unscruplous elements and supress truth. And ignorance of any law is NOT excusable in any way esp if you represent the judiciary which is a watchdog of democracy. If i was the judge Mr Sidhu would be in jail for ATLEAST two years. Plus his having a relations with the accused brought him in Conflict of interest, which could hamper trial. He should have withdrawn. Another breach of rules, he may very well end up facing disciplinary action.

Oh give it a rest. There are more serious crimes going on out there than this case. Also I notice how when you are 'judging' in this case your emphasis is more on the translator, and very little comment on the councillor Suresh Kumar who seems to be the REAL CULPRIT and quite clearly the person this newspaper was trying to frame. Why have you said nothing of the ethics of a councillor?? Is it because you have an agenda and a personal grudge against someone??

It's clear that this is nothing more than a witch hunt against Sonia and her family. It's people like you who will disappear and make no comment when he wins his appeal. You clearly have not heard of miscarriages of justice and believe everything you read.

Shame.

Oh give it a rest. There are more serious crimes going on out there than this case. Also I notice how when you are 'judging' in this case your emphasis is more on the translator, and very little comment on the councillor Suresh Kumar who seems to be the REAL CULPRIT and quite clearly the person this newspaper was trying to frame. Why have you said nothing of the ethics of a councillor?? Is it because you have an agenda and a personal grudge against someone??

It's clear that this is nothing more than a witch hunt against Sonia and her family. It's people like you who will disappear and make no comment when he wins his appeal. You clearly have not heard of miscarriages of justice and believe everything you read.

Shame.

... a very warm welcome to you too!...

I swear you must be a member of the deol / sidhu family. Nindiya doesn’t only happen in this thread. It happeneds in most threads and probably every discussion forum on the internet. Out of the hundreds of threads posted on SS over the last couple of weeks you suddenly decide to register and post only on this thread…. Looks somewhat devious to me.

Would have been nice if you expressed a little emotion in this thread

Mr Sidhu is not a representative of the Sikh fiath, and therefore Guru Jis sadhsangat is under no obligation to back him. If you feel this strongly why don’t you start your own blog / message boared in support of mr sidhu and campaign on his behalf.

"For those who are not clear about the facts, it is very simple. Sonia's father, Baldev Sidhu was CLEARED of perverting the course of justice. That means he was NOT GUILTY of faking any translations"

Please enlighten me as to the facts of the case ghoman01 ji. I have gone on the basis of the information available to hand. May be you can present a more balanced account than what the media have published. Will Mr Sidhu be pursuing libel proceedings? I feel ashamed if I have posted links to reports of false allegations. It would be the same as if I had presented a programme on the events of 1984 and then used that platform to present a totally unbalanced account on what took place and did nindiya of a respected sant.

"Big Chan can I no start a thread calling you a Robber, a cheat????"

ghoman01 ji, you can start a thread calling me whatever you like. In fact, when I was around 4 years old, I picked up a sweet from the supermarket pick n mix and ate it without paying. I knew this would come out one day.

"Mr.Sidhu was found guilty of perjury. That means that during the earlier trial of Mr.Kumar, Mr.Sidhu when asked said he was on the National Register Of Interpreters when in actual fact his membership had expired three months before, but he didn't realise because he has not seen the reminder letter. When you are on court, this is not seen as an error it is seen as perjury."

If this is in fact the case and it is an 'oversight' as you are claiming, it is still a criminal offence for which he was found guilty by a jury. Are there any other cases in which he has translated whilst his membership expired? This may be grounds of appeal if the translations were conducted by an uncertified translator. Thanks for bringing this issue to light ghoman01 ji.

"It was the prosecution and the News of The World reporter Mazher Mahmood who were trying to SUGGEST that Mr.Sidhu had helped and faked the translations of these secret recordings, but the judge and jury CLEARED MR.SIDHU OF THIS CHARGE!! Now use your head, do you think the News of The World will print this?? and make themselves look daft??? THINK!"

If he hasn't already considered it, may be you should book a prison visit and advise Mr. Sidhu about the libel laws of the U.K. He could make a nice little earner if what your saying is true.

"Mr.Sidhu during the earlier trial when he was there as a witness said he knew kumar cos his family had bought tickets from his travel agency, all above board. Mr.Sidhu told the truth, but the prosecution stopped the case and decided they were now gonna chase Mr.Sidhu too. So in effect, him telling the truth was now being used against him."

Clearly a conflict of interest if he knew the defendant from previous dealings. An experienced professional such as Mr. Sidhu should have known better. On another note, asda travel have got good deals on tickets.

"Only judge someone if you know everything."

Fair comment. I'll take this advice if I ever get the chance to make a documentary on 1984 too.

"We wish you luck in your appeal and believe justice will be done."

On the basis of what you have said, an appeal on conviction will most definately not be successful because like it or not he has broken the law. An appeal on sentence may be....I'm sure his legal team are on it.

"For those who are not clear about the facts, it is very simple. Sonia's father, Baldev Sidhu was CLEARED of perverting the course of justice. That means he was NOT GUILTY of faking any translations"

Please enlighten me as to the facts of the case ghoman01 ji. I have gone on the basis of the information available to hand. May be you can present a more balanced account than what the media have published. Will Mr Sidhu be pursuing libel proceedings? I feel ashamed if I have posted links to reports of false allegations. It would be the same as if I had presented a programme on the events of 1984 and then used that platform to present a totally unbalanced account on what took place and did nindiya of a respected sant.

"Big Chan can I no start a thread calling you a Robber, a cheat????"

ghoman01 ji, you can start a thread calling me whatever you like. In fact, when I was around 4 years old, I picked up a sweet from the supermarket pick n mix and ate it without paying. I knew this would come out one day.

"Mr.Sidhu was found guilty of perjury. That means that during the earlier trial of Mr.Kumar, Mr.Sidhu when asked said he was on the National Register Of Interpreters when in actual fact his membership had expired three months before, but he didn't realise because he has not seen the reminder letter. When you are on court, this is not seen as an error it is seen as perjury."

If this is in fact the case and it is an 'oversight' as you are claiming, it is still a criminal offence for which he was found guilty by a jury. Are there any other cases in which he has translated whilst his membership expired? This may be grounds of appeal if the translations were conducted by an uncertified translator. Thanks for bringing this issue to light ghoman01 ji.

"It was the prosecution and the News of The World reporter Mazher Mahmood who were trying to SUGGEST that Mr.Sidhu had helped and faked the translations of these secret recordings, but the judge and jury CLEARED MR.SIDHU OF THIS CHARGE!! Now use your head, do you think the News of The World will print this?? and make themselves look daft??? THINK!"

If he hasn't already considered it, may be you should book a prison visit and advise Mr. Sidhu about the libel laws of the U.K. He could make a nice little earner if what your saying is true.

"Mr.Sidhu during the earlier trial when he was there as a witness said he knew kumar cos his family had bought tickets from his travel agency, all above board. Mr.Sidhu told the truth, but the prosecution stopped the case and decided they were now gonna chase Mr.Sidhu too. So in effect, him telling the truth was now being used against him."

Clearly a conflict of interest if he knew the defendant from previous dealings. An experienced professional such as Mr. Sidhu should have known better. On another note, asda travel have got good deals on tickets.

"Only judge someone if you know everything."

Fair comment. I'll take this advice if I ever get the chance to make a documentary on 1984 too.

"We wish you luck in your appeal and believe justice will be done."

On the basis of what you have said, an appeal on conviction will most definately not be successful because like it or not he has broken the law. An appeal on sentence may be....I'm sure his legal team are on it.

No, not a member of any family involved, but def a member of the legal profession who has known the family for a long time and know many details the newspapers did not wish to print. I do not wish to invade their family privacy by elaborating all the details here, as much as that would entertain your little mind.

Virtually the whole legal profession from the Midlands who have worked with him and have known him for over 30 years are with him 100%, and that's all I wished to make public in this forum. His record is impeccable and speaks louder than a minor perjury conviction which was pushed on a technicality. We know he will win his appeal, and can only pray Big Chan that the likes of you and your family do not ever have to suffer what he and his family have had to endure.

O Nanak,

why do we argue with fools when they do not understand

grant me the strength to know yours is the only true court

and let those who speak ill of others

fear their own destiny

as you are the almighty and hold the fate of every tongue

BiggChann & Paneer Monster are right.

i'm sorry but stating the facts is not Nindyaa. Lieing like Sonia and Balkar do is. the fact is:

Sonia Deol gets paid to LIE on camera

Balkar got paid to LIE in court

one's deceit has been exposed in court and the other's lies is being exposed as we speak. didnt Sikhs up and down the country react strongly to the propoganda documentary Sonia made because it was full of BS?

do you get convicted for no reason or are you innocent until proven guilty in this country? if you cant do the time how about don't do the crime? havent criminals always been named in this country to prevent the chance of reoffending?

this isnt India where the State can try every trick in the book to pin a case against Saints and yet still not succeed and have to murder them and cover their tracks with the help of sellouts working for the BBC.

sant kee nindaa jonee bhavnaa. Slandering the Saints, the mortal wanders in reincarnation.

sant kee nindaa rogee karnaa. Slandering the Saints, he is diseased.

our family has suffered 250,000 innocent deaths since 1984 and still no justice thanks to the deceit of these sellouts, how much longer should WE suffer?

His record is impeccable and speaks louder than a minor perjury conviction which was pushed on a technicality.

His record is not so impeccable now, is it? No conviction for perjury is minor. Perjury is perjury - he was convicted of lying to the court when he took an oath that he was telling the truth.

A lie may be an honest mistake, but that is why, when giving evidence in court, he should have been even more careful in giving evidence. He should have known this, especially if he was working with the legal system for over 30 years.

To encourage truthful submissions under oath, the law must always prosecute these kind of cases. No conviction for perjury can ever be on a technicality. To maintain the integrity of the legal system and being a member of the legal profession, surely you must appreciate this?

Is he appealing against the conviction or the sentence? Keep us updated on the progress of his appeal.

Waheguroo

ghoman01 ji, since you addressed your remarks at me I have responded directly to you. A few points I should clarify. You seem to be directing your frustration towards me simply as I am responsible for posting the link to this article on the forum. I have no problem with this, and if it makes you feel better about Mr. Sidhus actions, by all mean please continue to do so. Also there are various other forums on the internet who are discussing this issue therefore you may want to take it upon yourself to respond to the messengers on those sites too.

As a fellow member of the legal profession (although not as long as you), I am utterly shocked by Mr. Sidhus actions and hope that if the case is as you say, the Courts will exonerate him. If on the understand it is the truth, he should be condemned not only for his criminality but for bringing the profession and community in to disrepute. If you wish to meet me, I am frequently at Birmingham Magistrates' or Crown Court and am more than willing to discuss this in person (just PM me).I don't think this has topic has too much to do with Sikhi but I can't help making references to his daughter's programme as he did appear in it albeit very briefly. I am aware of with whom Mr. Sidhu fraternises with which may suggest his Indian political inclinations. Furthermore, it seems Sonia didn't really hesitate to consider the full range of Sikh opinion in this programme which could possibly suggest the programme had another angle.

Being as you are in the legal profession, I am sure that you read that this section of the forum is for any news articles to be posted, hence I posted it here. Finally, I suggest you don't bring my family in to the equation unless you want yours discussed too.

ghoman01 ji, since you addressed your remarks at me I have responded directly to you. A few points I should clarify. You seem to be directing your frustration towards me simply as I am responsible for posting the link to this article on the forum. I have no problem with this, and if it makes you feel better about Mr. Sidhus actions, by all mean please continue to do so. Also there are various other forums on the internet who are discussing this issue therefore you may want to take it upon yourself to respond to the messengers on those sites too.

As a fellow member of the legal profession (although not as long as you), I am utterly shocked by Mr. Sidhus actions and hope that if the case is as you say, the Courts will exonerate him. If on the understand it is the truth, he should be condemned not only for his criminality but for bringing the profession and community in to disrepute. If you wish to meet me, I am frequently at Birmingham Magistrates' or Crown Court and am more than willing to discuss this in person (just PM me).I don't think this has topic has too much to do with Sikhi but I can't help making references to his daughter's programme as he did appear in it albeit very briefly. I am aware of with whom Mr. Sidhu fraternises with which may suggest his Indian political inclinations. Furthermore, it seems Sonia didn't really hesitate to consider the full range of Sikh opinion in this programme which could possibly suggest the programme had another angle.

Being as you are in the legal profession, I am sure that you read that this section of the forum is for any news articles to be posted, hence I posted it here. Finally, I suggest you don't bring my family in to the equation unless you want yours discussed too.

BiggChan, I am slightly confused. You say you are from the legal profession also, and work in the same circles as Mr.Sidhu, yet you start a thread stating 'sonia's father jailed for false translations'

This worries me! Surely if you DO hang out at the Magistrates/Crown court you, like me, would have access to the CORRECT information. You would then know that Mr.Sidhu was found guilty of perjury, but NOT of perverting the course of justice.

The second charge included the allegation of falsifying translations. But the jury CLEARED Mr.Sidhu of this charge. In other words, that would make YOUR statement false. I would love to state I am utterly shocked at YOUR actions ... but I am not.. as this is to be expected from smaller minds in our community.

Furthermore, you may disagree with parts of Sonia's Documentary, and I am in agreement with you about the fact it should have included other viewpoints.

But in my criticism I am aware that broadcasters do not have the editorial control/choice that we expect them to have. If they did, we would not see a range of names in the end credits of producers, executive producers and researchers. So while I think the doc itself should be answerable to certain questions, I do not feel it is fair that Sonia is the only person held responsible.

And before anyone says, well she was the presenter, she should have done x or y, I think people need to understand the constraints within which anyone works.

And finally regards discussing your family, I can choose to discuss whatever or whoever I like. That seems to be the general idea here.