Having Trouble Tying Dastar

Guest dastara

Guest dastara

Hello all. I am currently in the phase of switching from a patka to a regular dastar but am having some trouble with it. My hair is so long and so thick that when I tie my hair up in a Joora (sp?) it pretty much is half the size of my head and super big vertically. When tying a dastar even if I use a cloth to cover my entire head before tying it, I have trouble for the following reasons:

1st larr is supposed to go over the joora but I have insane trouble doing this and keeping it tight (first larr gets loose, dastar feels very loose/awkward)

I've tried tying my hair around my head (seriously)... worst idea ever.

I am not tying a dumalla (so please do not ask me to)

My dastar ends up with a massive point on one side of my head (to cover the joora) which just looks insanely weird. My only other option is to have a dastar with a joora sticking up so high that it looks like a patka.

I have the most success when I tie my joora very loose.. but sometimes this can be very annoying because then my hair is everywhere as its not tight at all.

Any suggestions on what I can do? What to do with my hair to make it easier? Thanks in advance.

I had same problem

when you tie your jooda ... don't pull the hair out to make it tight, keep it lose and make it look like a galibi (the ornage sweet round food thing )

now your hair should be flat (almost) on your head.. to keep it flat while you tie a pagh you have to tie a parakha on your head so your pagh's laar don't slip off and your hair does not fall apart.

When you tie your parakha don't do the top part do it like a black guy.

Now you should have fin go ahead tie your pagh for more help pm

Guest DUMALLA

TAKE THE HINT BRO, MAHARAJ IS SAYING TIE A DUMALLA lolll

WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT MAHARAJ TO DO? COME AND GIVE YOU PARTAK DARSHAN AND TELL YOU PERSONALLY?

TRY A GOL DASTAR OR NIHANG STYLE........ AND BE SURE THAT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE YOUR DASTAR WILL BE SECURE AND NEVER FALL OFF.......

but if not, then like the veers said, try to tie a flat and loose joora, i used to do that back in the day , but after an hour or two my dastar wud get loose too and by the end of the day if i bent down it would be practically falling off........probably the way i tied it but , with a gol dastar i dont need to worry, i can do star jumps, run, do hand stands (not really lol) but u get ma point

Hello all. I am currently in the phase of switching from a patka to a regular dastar but am having some trouble with it. My hair is so long and so thick that when I tie my hair up in a Joora (sp?) it pretty much is half the size of my head and super big vertically. When tying a dastar even if I use a cloth to cover my entire head before tying it, I have trouble for the following reasons:

1st larr is supposed to go over the joora but I have insane trouble doing this and keeping it tight (first larr gets loose, dastar feels very loose/awkward)

I've tried tying my hair around my head (seriously)... worst idea ever.

I am not tying a dumalla (so please do not ask me to)

My dastar ends up with a massive point on one side of my head (to cover the joora) which just looks insanely weird. My only other option is to have a dastar with a joora sticking up so high that it looks like a patka.

I have the most success when I tie my joora very loose.. but sometimes this can be very annoying because then my hair is everywhere as its not tight at all.

Any suggestions on what I can do? What to do with my hair to make it easier? Thanks in advance.

keep your joora very loose and tie a normal patka before tying your dastar, it should help.

you can also try what i do where i dont actually do a joora but instead when it comes to twisting my hand to do joora like we all do, i just put my hand on my head and make like a round shape of my kesh at the place where im suppose to do a joora and then tie a patka over it.

i probably didnt explain it that well, but you'll get the idea once you try.

My cousin is similar to you in that he still ties patka and has very long heavy hair so joora is very big... I tied a bunga on him before tying a gol dastaar one time and it looked :D

Trust me, a bunga will sort out any jora size problems. My hair size/weight etc is 'normal' but after I tied a bunga underneath dastaar once, I've never tied dastaar again without it. Makes it feel a lot more secure and gives a nice smooth round top to your dastaar as well :D

• 1 month later...
Guest sardaara

kidhaan veere,

I think the recommendations people are making are good ones. Tie a very very looose, very large/round joora, basically on your forehead (probably way more forward on yoru head than you would normal put your joora. With the joora now very loose on your forehead, tie a patka over it, and pull the kapra flat from the back before you tie the knot. Basically you should end up with a flattened bulge of hair high on your forehead that is under traction from the back. Since you won't be tying your joora on the top like a normal patka, you can cut most of the remaining material off the back end of the patka (leave enough to be able to re-use it next time you tie it under a pagg tho!). Flip whatever remaining kapra you have in the back of the patka up over your head, and all of this gets covered by the first larh, which also comes over your joora in the front (further squishing it down, and locking it in place.)

Alternatively, sometimes instead of a joora, i part my hair in the front into two equal halves, and send the left half across the right side of my head, and the right half across the left side of my head, where they meet in the back you can tie a knot if your hair is long enough, or just pin the ends in place with a bobby pin. Tie a patka over this the same way as above.

In both cases you should be pretty flat at the top of your head. good luck.

I think its the way your tying your joora. I know what you mean about your joora being long and up, I seen people's and back in the days sometimes mine used to go like that but then I flattened it. What worked for me was doing a braid and then doing joora.... because braided hair takes up less space than just grabbing hair and twisting it.

Then when you do the joora don't just wrap hair around each other.....do the joora in a knot style.....

Also to stop being loose...try to keep the pagg kapra in place.....the way to do it is to kinda hold first kapra from all edges whilst at the same time making sure your first larrs are happening to make it secure. After first larrs its all easy so get foundation right and keep the larr tightness going.

Also after trying joora...you could try flattening it with your hand, I used to do that back in the days because sometimes I got it wrong. But now its all fine, its literally is only about one thing - practise! Also you'll loose this long thick hair by the time your like 20 so only a few years of this weird pagg problem...I wish my hair was still long!