Having Trouble Tying Dastar

Guest dastara

Waheguru ji!

My hair is past my knees! and it has alot of volume also,

I had a problem figuring out how to handle my hair also,

this is what i do,

i do a pancake joora

so i dont tie a knot, its a sort of loose joora that is on right centre on the top of my head and then i tie a patka or u can tie a rumall to ensure the joora doesnt move,

then u tie small dastar for support and neatness, second dastar to finish off

this way my dastar is nice and round and my joora isnt sticking out at all, my dastar is a perfect size, with practise u will be easily be able to handle ur hair,,

when i wanted to start tying a dastar, it was hard for bibya to tie a dastar on my becuz they didnt know how to handle such long hair lol!

Good luck!

• 10 years later...
Guest Simran

I think a bunga sahib will be secure defo! Then i think maharaj jis kirpa you will bw fine with a dumalla dastar shaib this will be best ?

On 2/26/2010 at 12:12 PM, Guest dastara said:

Hello all. I am currently in the phase of switching from a patka to a regular dastar but am having some trouble with it. My hair is so long and so thick that when I tie my hair up in a Joora (sp?) it pretty much is half the size of my head and super big vertically. When tying a dastar even if I use a cloth to cover my entire head before tying it, I have trouble for the following reasons:

1st larr is supposed to go over the joora but I have insane trouble doing this and keeping it tight (first larr gets loose, dastar feels very loose/awkward)

I've tried tying my hair around my head (seriously)... worst idea ever.

I am not tying a dumalla (so please do not ask me to)

My dastar ends up with a massive point on one side of my head (to cover the joora) which just looks insanely weird. My only other option is to have a dastar with a joora sticking up so high that it looks like a patka.

I have the most success when I tie my joora very loose.. but sometimes this can be very annoying because then my hair is everywhere as its not tight at all.

Any suggestions on what I can do? What to do with my hair to make it easier? Thanks in advance.

Veerji, it’s our maryada to wrap first part of dastar with dastar Kapra and make joora like that. It’s called a keski and it’s tied under dumala sahibs. Just look up how to tie dumala sahib or keski and it will come up

My recommendation is don’t tie a pointy turban like a patiala shahi pagg. First of all cuz u will have the joora problem. But second of all because those types of turbans weren’t given to us by the gurus. The gol dastar or nihang dumala was given to us and it is the original Sikh turban. The patiala shahi pagg came from maharaja of patiala. They wore those turbans to show the oppressing British sarkar that they were there “friends” I find that as a sign of slavery. The British feared nihangs, and obviously feared their great dumala sahibs. So thas how there pointed turbans came

Guest Nihang Singh
On 6/3/2020 at 3:13 PM, akaaliKhalsa1699 said:

My recommendation is don’t tie a pointy turban like a patiala shahi pagg. First of all cuz u will have the joora problem. But second of all because those types of turbans weren’t given to us by the gurus. The gol dastar or nihang dumala was given to us and it is the original Sikh turban. The patiala shahi pagg came from maharaja of patiala. They wore those turbans to show the oppressing British sarkar that they were there “friends” I find that as a sign of slavery. The British feared nihangs, and obviously feared their great dumala sahibs. So thas how there pointed turbans came

This is not correct. Although dumalla and gol dastar are definitely traditional dastaars, Gurmukhi dastar (the simple triangle dastar like at harmandar sahib) is also traditional. 

Even the granthis at Sri hazoor sahib tie this dastar. Those in favour of puratan maryada always say that hazur sahib is uninfluenced by anything and they wear triangle Gurmukhi dastaars, so this statement that it's about being subservient to british is not correct. This dastar has been worn by many great Gurmukhi who are far from British influenced.

The other variations of triangle dastar are simply more "'fashionable" versions of gurmukhi dastar.