Does Your Kachera Have To Be White?

Guest Singh Wid A Question

Isnt it natural to change your underwear daily? common sense...hygiene...you dont have to see if its dirty its jsut common sense! gosh.

Thats what i thought, its a given to shower and change ALL clothes everyday.

However taking into account the current climate of austerity maybe some who are watching the pennies only change if theres a few noticable skidmarks.

Guest oyehoye

i am having hard time remember that i am not supposed to take my kakkars off.. :\ like i always end up taking my kachera off :\ and lose my kanga... :\ if my dastaar gets lose i dont want to retie it...

i know we are supposed to do kanga liek twice everyday how many people actually follow it?

i havent started wearing a kirpaan yet and have hard time with my kanga.. i lose it all the time.. :\ wear my dastaar and forget to put kanga in my kes.. also is it okay to put kanga away when you are doing ur joorda?

i heard people say that you are not supposed to put a rubberband around ur joorda.. well my hair are way tooo....thin and dont stay up in joorda and i get annoyed easily if dastaar keeps getting messed up because my joorda isnt right so i just put a rubberband on!! i mean why shouldnt you do that?

i will prolly still do what but if people feel strongly about the antisikhi things i tend to do then please give me a lecture on why i should do what i do... so i stop...

and is it okay to wear a lose dastaar with ears out i cant cover my ears as they start to hurt!! so i wear a chunni with it.

------------

also i have hard time keeping up with nitnem.. i stop doing it when i am unhappy.. last year kinda sucked for me so i didnt do it for months and i want to start again.. but i think its more important to know the meanings of nitnem..

i am tryna learn japji sahibs meaning as i do it but jaap sahib its hard to understand the meanings or sorta memorize them if anyone can help then it would be appreciated. tell me how to learn the meanings of jaap sahib

i am so tilli trapped in maya.. you all have no idea thats why i am writing gupt because its shameful..

its depressing! :\

My panj (from taksal) did hukam that kacheras have be white and could not be blue,etc.

For bibis they could be "a little darker" for obvious reasons. But DEFINITELY not blue, kesari,etc. Thats what the panj said.

Isnt it natural to change your underwear daily? common sense...hygiene...you dont have to see if its dirty its jsut common sense! gosh.

Spot on!

people say wear white to check if your kachera is dirty?

lets use some common sense:

1) Amritdharis should have ishnaan every "morning"

2) Amritdharis should wear their kachera whilst doing ishnaan

3) Unless an amritdhari wants to walk around with a wet kachera the whole day... :S... he/she will change into a new kachera

4) As this goes on everyday you will change and wash your kacheras frequently

I have 2 questions for the people who insist on wearing only white kacheras

1) do WHITE kacheras fight against kaam more effectively than say blue kacheras?

2) White comes in many shades, so what is the panthic definition of white and would a creamy coloured kachera be acceptable?

now that we have argued over the colour of our kacheras. I propose we do the same for the kanga. black? brown? white? purple?

• 9 years later...
On 3/27/2011 at 12:11 PM, Guest oyehoye said:

i am having hard time remember that i am not supposed to take my kakkars off.. ? like i always end up taking my kachera off ? and lose my kanga... ? if my dastaar gets lose i dont want to retie it...

i know we are supposed to do kanga liek twice everyday how many people actually follow it?

i havent started wearing a kirpaan yet and have hard time with my kanga.. i lose it all the time.. ? wear my dastaar and forget to put kanga in my kes.. also is it okay to put kanga away when you are doing ur joorda?

i heard people say that you are not supposed to put a rubberband around ur joorda.. well my hair are way tooo....thin and dont stay up in joorda and i get annoyed easily if dastaar keeps getting messed up because my joorda isnt right so i just put a rubberband on!! i mean why shouldnt you do that?

i will prolly still do what but if people feel strongly about the antisikhi things i tend to do then please give me a lecture on why i should do what i do... so i stop...

and is it okay to wear a lose dastaar with ears out i cant cover my ears as they start to hurt!! so i wear a chunni with it.

------------

also i have hard time keeping up with nitnem.. i stop doing it when i am unhappy.. last year kinda sucked for me so i didnt do it for months and i want to start again.. but i think its more important to know the meanings of nitnem..

i am tryna learn japji sahibs meaning as i do it but jaap sahib its hard to understand the meanings or sorta memorize them if anyone can help then it would be appreciated. tell me how to learn the meanings of jaap sahib

i am so tilli trapped in maya.. you all have no idea thats why i am writing gupt because its shameful..

its depressing! ?

So, I'm really late to this but..

Dude, you can't be bothered to retie your turban, then wear a smaller one underneath so its both comfortable and you can take it off after coming home from somewhere. Keep your kanga tied to something, tuck it under your joora, find a way. Keep your kachera on?!??!

It's okay if you can't do your hair twice a day, just keep it neat and presentable. 

Yes it's okay to remove your kanga when doing your hair. It's alright to use a hairband, don't listen to those unreasonable remarks. Most of the stuff isn't anti-sikh, rather that you are lazy.

Good on you for trying to learn the meanings, it will take time so rather than tryign to memorise the works, understand the meanigns of the tuks. https://www.sikhnet.com/hukam Read through the hukamana everyday, this guy does basic translation, good for beginners. 

Keep on trying your best, when you see yourself going astray, control yourself. Think of guru and go back to the hukamnama, this will help a lot.

Good luck.

On 3/10/2010 at 2:19 AM, amzsingh said:

White = Colour of purity. Also as tec9 mentioned, so you dont get lazy and leave your kachera on for more than 1 day, with dark colours ie, black/blue you cannot tell if your kachera is dirty while wearing a bana.

symbolism doesn't mean anything, its just irrational to forbid people from wearing different coloured khacheras, they serve the same purpose nothing changes except the colour. Don't be fooled by these people trying to say that colour matters, find me one quote, actual quote not some website, from Guru Gobind Singh that you must wear a white kachera. 

when I was little and had amrit I was told that the kacchera was white as it is the ideal colour reflect the kirdaar or chirataar of the wearer , any stain or dirt would show immediately so as we strive to keep our minds clear of the gandh of kaam and kalyug similarly we change and maintain suchumta of our bana . For the bro who had problems with losing kanga , try carrying a spare and perhaps put a few ladds of the inner dastar around the jooda around the kanga as well . befor etying bunga then dastar. This also helps if the first gets damaged you can avoid using broken damaged kanga on kesh and risking their damage.