How Can We Bring The Sikh Community Together

you hear stories in england how muslims stick together and are so strong as a community and get away attacking the sikh community and the same stuff is begining to happen around canada were their our sikh girls going out with muslim boys and muslim boys causing trouble with sikhs

whats best way to bring the sikh community together and unite and educate eachother and advance and take on challenges effecting the sikh community and take care of threats against the sikh community like muslims

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you hear stories in england how muslims stick together and are so strong as a community and get away attacking the sikh community and the same stuff is begining to happen around canada were their our sikh girls going out with muslim boys and muslim boys causing trouble with sikhs

whats best way to bring the sikh community together and unite and educate eachother and advance and take on challenges effecting the sikh community and take care of threats against the sikh community like muslims

ajj ik hor sant bhindrawala chahida hai...we need another sant jarnail singh ji khalsa bhindranwale...who would possess the all round capability of being fierce soldier and saint simultaneously...also he/she should be able to reach masses and educate them about sikhi...another revolution within sikh community is required which would show the right path to the sikh youth...but it is pretty difficult...today nobody possess the chrismatic personality of Sant ji...we do have good parcharaks but none is allrounder like sant ji who was able to behave as per the situation prevailing...!

This has been discussed on here and other sikh sites many many times-how to be united. The discussion

always boils down to one of 2 options;

1)All jethabandhis and sampradas to collapse in on themselves to eradicate 'cliques' and subgroups within Sikhism .

Everyone would follow one set maryada and loyalties to sub maryadas would be disallowed. Overnight, the terms akj , nanakseria,

nihang, taksali, dodra, rarewale etc would become history. There would be a total ban on anyone to be called a sant or baba, or to preach and

interpret gurmat/sikh history/scriptures/ rehat etc in anyway varying from a set norm. You do have this structure present in religions such as

Bahaism, Subud, Tbetan Buddhism and Catholic Christianity where a very rigid strict control is imposed by a central governing unit with its tentacles spread out worldwide.

or,

2)Acceptance of heterogeneity in expression of religious beliefs, together with a willingness not to change the course of Sikh history which has seen the birth and proliferation of subgroups within Sikhs each with their own heroes, focussing on different interpretations of maryada, keertan, simran, the norm for a sikh lifestyle, etc. Whenever this happens, people cannot see eye to eye and even subgroups will splinter further. You see this phenomena in protestant and pentecostal christianity, and in both shia and sunni Islam too. In this democratic umbrella type scenario, the thing to push forward is mutual tolerance towards each others beliefs so at a macro level, there exists love and a desire for co-existence, with ultimate loyalty to SGGS and Khalsa Panth.

This indeed is the choice we face. Ideally, we should be in a position where the 5 High Priests i.e the Jathedars of the 5 Takhts can sit together after wide ranging consultations with the different jethabandhis to formulate a futuristic strategy for unity of Khalsa Panth that would receive universal acceptance amongst Sikhs of different religious, political and social persuasions. However, for the present, their positions seem weakened and compromised and hence anything they have to command would receive but stiff resistance. Hence, for the moment they seem to be subscribing to maintaining the status quo of a free for all situation at large. Given this, the only thing we can hope for the moment is that at the ground level, different jethabandhis off their own back, try to avoid further splintering within themselves and recognise and continue to preach a message of reconciliation and mutual tolerance amongst themselves. The future may hold a different promise.

Simple, just a get a group together 50 men or so and defend yourselfes. The women that go out with Muslims, tell their parents and they can deal with it, and then beat the <banned word filter activated> out of the Muslims men. I know what I said is not diplomatic but there is no other way.

How bad is it gettig in Canada? I did not know it was that bad !

Lobby the canadian govermnet to stop Muslim immigration. Sikhs immigrated to Canadia before Muslims, to think all those Sikhs that built-up their community only to be attacked by some Extremist muslims.

Why do muslims want to immigrate to non Muslim countries anyway ?

Canada is not bad at all, girls don't go out with muslim, and there are no extremist muslims there where sikhs are. sikh girls there are white washed and will go out with goreh/kaleh not suleh.

their our alot of afghan and pakistanis moving into montreal toronto winniipeg edmonton calgary and if you visit some of these city's their our alot of sikh girls going out with these guys and alot of these afghans and pakistanis causing trouble with sikh boys

but im glad sikh youth slate won in surrey their going to have a huge impact on the new generation of canadians and youth in a positive way

cause for past couple of decades the moderates and fundementals have driven most the youth away from the gurdwara

Canada is not bad at all, girls don't go out with muslim, and there are no extremist muslims there where sikhs are. sikh girls there are white washed and will go out with goreh/kaleh not suleh.

their our alot of afghan and pakistanis moving into montreal toronto winniipeg edmonton calgary and if you visit some of these city's their our alot of sikh girls going out with these guys and alot of these afghans and pakistanis causing trouble with sikh boys

but im glad sikh youth slate won in surrey their going to have a huge impact on the new generation of canadians and youth in a positive way

cause for past couple of decades the moderates and fundementals have driven most the youth away from the gurdwara

You need to spread more awarness against Muslim extremism in Canada, like its being done in the UK

You may think there are more SIkhs than Muslims in Canada, but the population of Muslims is already double that of Sikhs , and in 10 years time will be the largest religious group in Canada with a population 10 times as more than Sikhs. You Sikhs in Canada need to take a stand now, on all levels and stop Sikhs women going out with Muslims, on a natinal level why don't you start lobbying the goverment to stop muslim migration.

My earlier post was addressing the issue of unity which is fundamental for us to be effective in warding off threats to our panth be it sirsa, GOI or muslim guys making off with sikh girls in canada.

The best long term measures in safeguarding the community's interests are education in gurmukhi and sikhi, and effective Sikh institutions. The aim should be that every Sikh child starts getting education in gurmukhi, gurbani, keertan etc well into the teenage years. A young guy or girl who is proud to be a Sikh, feels comfortable in reading and writing gurmukhi, and reading and understanding Gurbani, understands the history of sikhism and sikh shaheeds, feels at home in a gurudwara, understands sikhi, and feels very connected and proud to be a member of khalsa panth is very unlikely to ever want a non gurmukh as a partner or stray away to convert to other faiths.

In muslim majority countries like Malaysia, where there has been a lack of such long term sustained sikhi education accessible to every child, frequent large scale youth samelans/youth camps have proven to be an effective instrument in ''catching '' those in their teenage/school/colege/university/early working adult years and ingraining Sikhi in them and a love for fellowship with other sikh youths. Likewise naujawan satsangs, sikh societies at schools, coleges and universities. In today's age, the use of facebook, twitter, instant messaging etc should be harnessed as well, to network sikh youths, apart from sikh websites specifically designed as ''catchment '' areas.

The strategy is as simple as used in the american elections i.e who do I need to ''persuade'' or reach out, how do I make a connection with this person( or group) and then how do I''enlighten'' this person/group.

The other sticky issue always tricky to resolve is how to reinvent existing sikh institutions like gurudwaras so they become effective instruments for parchar and reaching out and caring for local communities instead of being restricted to be used for religious functions, ceremonies and gurpurabs primarily in punjabi by sikh preachers from another generation or country who are not conversant with the local language or mindset.

The big challenge is however even beyond this. This challenge is best posed as a question. Do I worry about dwindling punjabi Sikh numbers and how best to preserve them, or do I believe in the promise of Raj Karega Khalsa and set about making Sikhi as an option, a lifestyle choice amongst non Sikhs, so Sikhi will spread like wildfire wherever sikhs migrate. The advantage of this is that then we wont have to scratch our heads if a few ''dhileh'' sikhs here and there jump ship and we wont have to worry about muslim migration. The following serve as examples;

1) Sikhs migrated in the early 20th century in large numbers to Malaysia. There are loads of god hungry/god wanting chinese , thais, singaporeans/tamils /indonesians in that part of the world . Why has our obsession been with ourselves rather than spreading sikhi. In this parts of the world we worry about majha/malwa and doabia and which maryada is the best for us, while sikh girls run off with tamil, chinese and muslim men for which we cry foul.

2)Sikhs in the latter part of the 20th century have been migrating to Europe/canada/usa/ UK /Australia/New Zealand. Here our obsession is with jethabandis and ramgharia vs singh sabha while a materialistic west tired of christianity and weary of Islam cries unknowingly for God, and in the meantime drowns itself in alcohol as a stress relief mechanism. One simple man migrated from India to the west and in his own not so perfect way introduced Sikhism to white americans and just look at the wonderful example of scores of chardikela white sikhs now trying to reach out to south american and other races.

3) In canada there is no shortage of punjabee sikhs but a shortage of a simple sikh like yogi bajan who would come to canada not to earn lots of money, have a nice house and car and attend the local gurudwara, but to reach out and extend Guru Nanak's love to the poor, the drugged, the alcoholics, the prostitutes, the depressed, the lonely. I am sure there is no shortage of chardikela dodra or akj sikhs and keertan darbars and samagams in edmonton or calgary for example, but what i can never make out is why is not at least one of them making an effort to reach out to non punjabees, unless I am somehow not informed. Likewise in the UK , Spain, Italy, Norway, France etc. This really baffles me. Again lots of punjabee sikhs in nairobi, kenya, south africa etc but no missionary zeal among Sikhs there . Gurudwaras plenty yes. We some how feel a great barrier and constriction and indeed feel very iffy about wanting to spread the message of sikhi in our work places, places of study, neighbourhoods and local communuties. We somehow want to be just chardikela sikhs affiliated to one sempardaya or other and lock ourselves within a comfort zone of punjabee sikhs. We somehow believe that we need to get our house in order before worrying about 'others'.

Yet we like to boast about raj karega khalsa. Hows that ever going to happen if we stay this complacent . Are we expecting sweets to fall from the skies above just because khalsa is God's favourite. Indeed khalsa IS God's favourite but look at history, He did make us work for every bit of success. Likewise i keep hearing guys lamenting about how much we miss Sant Jee(Bhindrawale ) , but wherever His Holiness maybe today, does our complacency,lethargy, and indifference to parchar give his soul any peace. In santjee's own words, his one drop of martyr's blood will give rise to thousands like him. Those thousands we surely are, but all we ever do is look past and hope his future return, but never do today what would make his blessed soul most happy i.e Sikhi parchar in a very upfront, intense, marching on to victory manner, among punjabees and non punjabees alike.

Here is Guru Nanak's love, Guru Gobind Singh's chardikela, Guru Granth Sahib's wisdom, as the exact tripartite answer to the world's problems. But there are we paralysed into inaction, waiting for the rebirth of past heroes, perpetually indulging in infighting, stressing about dwindling numbers and some ignorant supposed sikhs straying away,........rather than behaving , thinking and acting excitedly as saint warriors on a march to spread the flag of Sikhism around all peoples of this planet. Now, that would constitute our real respect for our glorious Nishan Sahib