Sikh Questions

Carl

Hey all

I`m thinking of becoming a sikh but need some questions anwsered first.Ok,so i`m a white teenage englishmen.Does the colour of my skin affect me becoming a sikh? this is not meant in a racist or harmful way what so ever,it`s just,you know you look in sikh books etc and you always see darker skinned people,and i`ve never seen a whiteman as a sikh.

Also do you have to where a turban? as i read on a website you don`t,but i thought you do.And lastly, do you, when you become a sikh,have to change your name? as i read in a book today that you do,unless i`ve misinterpretated it.

Thank you for any help i recieve.

Carl

There are thousands of white Sikhs, mostly in the US, but a few in the UK and Europe.

Why do you want to become a Sikh? You need to learn more about it first. Yes, you have to wear a turban, and you will be given a new name when you take initiation.

If you let us know what area you are in, you can be put in contact with other Sikhs, which is the best way to learn about Sikhism. Books and the internet are useful, but can also be very misleading.

good luck in your journey!

There are thousands of white Sikhs, mostly in the US, but a few in the UK and Europe.

And they aren't the best role model as our guru sahibs were. White imperialists have a terrible history even to their kind. Sikhs have remained a racial group for 500 years. Yogi harbhajan singh manage to attract the western world by kundalini yoga but gurmat and gursikhi is most important. When sikhs were a martial nation fighting with the british, they were very strict in their rehat.

I agree with TejiKaur phenji. Start with understanding the Sikh ideology, and for that you should read Gurbani from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. The most important aspect of Sikh way of living is to strive to live according to Guruji's Bani. Once you are familiar with basic concepts, and agree with what Guruji says, you can move to the next step which is keeping the rehit (the external do's and dont's), which are next important step. As Tejikaur sis said, read the translations of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, starting with Japji Sahib (the primal Bani), also as Matheen veer jeo said, go to your local Gurdwara Sahib and meet up with knowledgeable singhs. That is the fastest and best way to learn. And hey, you can have free food at the Gurdwara, did anyone tell you that yet? happy.gif

All the best in your journey brother!

Guest Bloom

Dear Carl,

In My Opinion,

There Is No Bigger Blessing In This World Than Becoming a Sikh of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. The Palace of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Is The Most Exalted. Fortunate Is Your Destiny To Have Such Beautiful Thoughts. May God and The Guru Bless You More and More and Bring You Closer And Closer To The Palace of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

The Color of Ones Skin has Absolutely ZERO Affect on Becoming a Sikh. Love is The Secret Ingredient of Becoming a Sikh of The Guru. There are Many Sikhs of All Colors. They Look Beautiful and Royal, and Their Hearts Are Filled With Love for The Palace of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

The Turban Becomes Part of The Sikh as They Progress. Kesh (Hair) is Important in Sikhi. And The Turban Will Automatically Don You, As You Fall More and More in Love With Sikhi. Everything Will Fall Into Place. The Secret is Love. Everything Else Will Fall Into Place. You Will Fall In Love With Sri GuruGranth Sahib Ji. What a Fortunate Destiny.

When a Person Decides to Join The Family of The Khalsa Through The Nectar Of The Double Edged Sword of The Panj Pyareh (5 Beloved Ones (Whom Have High Khalsa Character)) They May Bless You with a Beautiful Gursikh Name, There Is No Need to Worry.

As You Contemplate, Reflect, Study, Adore and Fall More and More In Love With The Palace of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, All Will Fall Into Place. The Gurus' Palace Is The Most Beautiful and The Doors of The Guru Are Always Open For Embrace

With Love.

WaheGuruuJiKaKhalsa WaheGuruuJiKiFateh! (The Khalsa Belongs To Wonderous Lord (Dispeller of Darkness, Illuminator of Divine Light) Victory Belongs To The Wonderous Lord (Dispeller of Darkness, Illuminator of Divine Light))

(Dear Carl, I Apologize in Advance If I am Unable To Come Online Too Often. But I am Confident Your Thoughts of Sikhi Will Bring You Closer and Closer and Your Love Will Grow and Grow Manifold and Infinite For Sikhi).

Our Prayers Are With You.

Look deep into the history and philosophy of the Gurus. As for if it's okay to be a white sikh, of course. I've been surprised many, many times as I've seen 'white' (put in quotes because race doesn't really matter, just saying to show a point) sikhs are better than some sikhs who are actually born into the religion. I've met an ex army priest who became a Sikh before and a few others who weren't born into Sikhi. Here's a video of some (you can just google/youtube white sikhs)

Hi Carl!

Welcome to sikh sangat! This website is fantastic for finding answers to questions and just learning in general. The best thing is that everyone is amazing, its really good to see things from a different point of view, and the stroies in the inspiration section are just awesome!

The colour of your skin does not make any differance as to whether or not you can be a sikh. Honestly all that matters is what's inside :) so please don't worry about that i have seen loads of sikhs with white skin, and probabaly all of them would put me to shame with the amount of dedication they have, colour of your skin does not make you any more or any less of a sikh. I'll tell you one of the cutest things ever was this sikh family i saw at the gurdwara, the dad was dark skinned and the mum had white skin, and they came to the gurdwara with 2 little girls and they must have been about 3 and 5 years old...both wearing turbans looking gorgeus, and 1 had a doll and she had tied a little turban on the doll as well! How cute is that!

There are much more knowlegable sikhs on here to help with your questions on sikhi; Bloom's message was so lovely! But if your looking for a friend :D

Take care

Welcome one, welcome all to Sikhism, the path that unveils and connects you to the Reality of the Universe without subjecting you to become an extremist, terrorist, or fanatic living in hatred of others and segregating yourself in some belief that makes you look down on others. Sikhism, the path towards loving and serving God and all of His creation. The path without an old angry God waving at you 10 commandments, forcing you to circumcise, or dance in frenzy around some idol, or chant some empty mantra endlessly, or sit before a new age 'guru' in the hope that he winks at you to get you 'high', or believe in virgins birthing someone who has to die for your sins. The God of Sikhism is the Cosmic Architect and Divine Engineer of all of creation.

Sikhism, the path that promotes equality, democracry, freedom of choice and liberation from tyranny as well as care for the environment, personal responsibility and compassion to all. Sikhism the path that makes the living Word of Reality as your personal Guide that helps you escape the matrix. Sikhism the path that opens your eyes, and helps you get into sync and harmony to the reason and purpose for your existence. Sikhism the path that helps you realise the fullness of your human potential, helps you overcome your fears and rise above your limitations. Sikhism the path that helps you rise above sin and virtue and the stranglehold of karmas upon the journey of your soul. Sikhism.... that which delivers your lost wandering soul back home.

Ok thank you all for your answers,Still not totally sure i want to be a sikh, i mean it`s a big step for me, as i don`t think i`d like to have a beard and a turban.But i agree with the basis of sikh beliefs.

I might become one in my later years say late 20s-30s.

Am so confused.

cheers

Carl