Sikh Questions

Carl

I might become one in my later years say late 20s-30s.

Am so confused.

Look little kid this website isn't a playground. Now or later on is a lame excuse. This should help your confusion:

Self Percept (Atam Updesh)

Why are you so engrossed in worries? Why are you afraid of some one? Who may kill you? The soul is immortal; it neither dies nor takes birth.

The present is here and now, the past is irrecoverable and the future will be good. Don't fret over the past and don't be worried about the future. The present is going on.

Why do you cry? What did you lose? When you were born, what did you bring along, which has been lost? What did you produce which has been perished? It is here that you gained and it is here that you lose. The man comes to; and goes from world, empty handed.

What you own today was not yours yesterday and will not be yours tomorrow. It does not and will not belong to anyone. You consider it your own and rejoice. This happiness of possession leads you to utter grief.

Yours is this world. Start from where you feel to; stay where you desire and wind up where you want to. It has no beginning and no end. You don't fear anyone, but yourself. You are the fright and also the frightened.

Change is the truth of life. What you consider as death is life in reality. In a moment a multi-millionaire is turned pauper. Give up the feeling of possession, great & the mean; differentiation of friend & foe. Then all is yours and you for everyone. Your corporeal being is a product of air, water, fire ,sky and earth and it merges into the same leaving behind neither blood nor bones. Still yours existence remains the same. Then ponder over what you are.

Wake up! and become the eternal sons of the Almighty. You are the great and unique manifestation of Nature's power. All the divine powers are possessed by you, like a tree hidden in the seed.

In fact you don't fear anybody; you don't have any worry, suspicion, pain or grief. You are His dear ones. Surrender yourself completely to Him.

Always, remember the "Waheguru" (God) to achieve salvation. Let your life be guided by the saying "Whatever God wills, is good". Be content with the will of God. Remember Him both in pleasure & pain.

Compiled by His Holiness Sant Isher Singh Ji Maharaj

BTW SIkhism is not a Religion. Its a ART OF LIVING. and anybody can learn that ART from Satguru(SGGSJI)

Give it a break will ya :p technically a mona is not a sikh.

DEFINITION OF A SIKHWho is a Sikh? The literal meaning of the word Sikh is a 'disciple.' A Sikh is one who is a disciple of the Satguru. To be a disciple of the Satguru, one must completely surrender one's will and wisdom to the Will and Wisdom of the Satguru. Only then, the Satguru admits one is in his fold as a 'Sikh' and blesses him with the holy Naam. This initiation ceremony was previously referred to as the deekhya or charan pahul and has been prevalent right from the time of Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, as support ed by Bhai Gurdas Ji:

Gur Deekhya Lai Sikh, Sikh Sadaayaa (// 3, Pauri 11)

One is called a Sikh only after he has been blessed with 'deekhya.

Charan Dhoe Rehraas Kar

Charnamrit Gursikhaan Pilaaayaa (// 1, Pauri 23)

(Guru Nanak) followed the system of washing the Guru's Feet and blessing the GurSikhs with the Charan amrit (Charan-Pahul)

Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji prescribed specific rules and regulations which must be unconditionally accepted by the candidates before they can be admitted as disciples (Sikhs). The ceremony by which the Panj Pyaras are authorized by the Satguru to admit such persons in the fold of Sikhism is partaking Khande-ki-Pahul or Amrit. Therefore, according to the Commandment of the Satguru, one can become a Sikh of the Guru only by taking Amrit. Such a person is also called an Amritdhari because he has been blessed with the holy Amrit and has, thus, become a Sikh. It is further explicit from the following couplet from Rahitnamaa of Bhai Desa Singh Ji.

Pratham Rahit Yeh Jaan, Khande-ki-Pahul Chhakey.

Soee Sikh Pardhan, Avar Naa Pahul Jo Lai.

The primary Rahit for a Sikh is to take Khande-ki-Pahul. And, only he is a great who does not accept anything else.

Generally, people do not grasp the true meaning of the terms Amritdhari and non-Amritdhari Sikhs. The phrase non-Amritdhari Sikhs is meaningless. One cannot make a comparison between them.

There is only one class of Sikhs and that class is the SIKH (Khalsa). Thus, one is either a Sikh or not a Sikh.

Now consider this point from another angle. If someone belonging to other faiths like Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc., wishes conversion into Sikhism, what is he required to do?

Does he become a Sikh by merely refraining from cutting his hair and wearing a turban as Sikhs do? Obviously not. (There are a number of such people with long hair, and even wearing turbans, belonging to faiths other than Sikhism). He has necessarily to partake the holy Amrit to become a Sikh. How can, then, one become a Sikh simply because of accident of birth, without being baptized? This point has also been explicitly made clear by the Satguru himself as:

So Sikh Sakhaa Bandhap Hai Bhai,Jay Gur Ke Bhaaney Vich Aavey

Aapney Bhaaney Jo Chaley Bhai, Vichharr Chotaan Khaavey (pg 601)

Only that person is a Sikh and he is my near and dear one, who comes under the total allegiance of the Guru. As against this, one who owes allegiance only to his personal will, always remains in separation and will suffer

Clearly, therefore, being a non-Amritdhari means that one has not yet declared his total allegiance and obedience to Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji / Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji / Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as his Guru. Nor has he been blessed with the Gurmantra or Naam which is given ONLY at the time of baptism by Guru Sahib himself through the Panj Pyaras. Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji himself put a seal on this point by bowing before the Panj Pyaras for his own baptism. Are these so-called non-Amritdhari "Sikhs" greater without being baptized?

It is thus, abundantly clear that the non-Amritdharis, even though they may claim to be Sikhs, and are also considered Sikhs politically and socially, are not Sikhs in the true sense and in the eyes of the Satguru. In Gurbani, they are referred to as (a) Nigurey; (b) Gurmantar heenus; © Sakat; (d) Manmukh or Vemukh, and (e) Vedeen (Faithless), etc. howsoever prominent or outstanding they may be in the social and public life of the community. Gurbani defines such terms as under:

(a) Nigurey: one who has not become disciple of the Guru.

Nigurey Ko Gat Kaaee Naahee Avgann Muthhey, Chotaan Khahee. (pg 361)

For him who is without the Guru, there is no liberation. Deluded by evil propensities, he suffers.

Satgur Bajhon Gur Nahi Koee Nigurey Kaa Hai Naao Bura (pg. 435)

Without the True Guru (i.e. Guru Nanak), there is not another Guru. And one without the Guru is known as evil.

(b) Gurmantar-heenus: One who has not been blessed with the Gurmantra (Naam).

Gurmantar-Heenus Jo Praani Dhrigant Janam Bharashtneh. Kookreh Sookreh Gardheh Kaakeh Sarpaneh Tul Khaieh (pg. 1356-1357)

One who is without the Gurmantra, is the most accursed, and contaminated is his life. He is like a dog, a swine, an <banned word filter activated>, a crow a snake, and a blockhead.

© Saakat: Infidel

Saakat Suaan Kaheeyey Baho Lobhee, Baho Dunnat Mael Bhareejeypg. 1326)

The dog like infidel is said to be very avaricious and is full to the brim of evil thoughts.

Saakat Besuva Poot Ninaam (pg 1239)

The infidel is nameless like a prostitute's son.

(d) Manmukh: One who follows his own will; the egocentric.

Manmukh Oodha Kowi Hai, Na Tis Bhagat Na Naao (pg. 511)

The egocentric person (i.e. Manmukh) is like a reversed lotus and possesses neither devotion nor God's name.

Manmukil Seti Sang Karey, Muh Kalaldi Daag Lagaaey (pg. 1417)

Whosoever associates with an egoist, to his countenance attaches the stigma of blackness.

Manmukh Naam Na Jannani, Vinn Naavey Pat Jaaey... Vishta Kay Keerray Pavey Wich Vishta Se Vishta Mahe Samaaye(pg. 28)

The egocentrics know not the Naam, and without Naam lose their honor... They are worms of excrement, fall in excrement, and get absorbed in excrement.

(e) Vedeen: The faithless; the irreligious.

Choraan, Jaaran, Randiaan, Kuttaneeya Di Baan. Vedinaa Ki Dosti Vedlnaa Ka Khaann Sifti Saar Naa Jannani, Sada Vasey Saitaan (pg. 790)

It is the habit of thieves, adulterers, prostitutes, and pimps that they contract friendship with the irreligious or faithless and eat their food; they know not the worth of God's praise and Satan ever abides within them.

The above are only a few of the numerous quotations from Gurbani and are self- explanatory and need no further comment.

[Gurmat Rahit Marayda, The points of Contention, Bhai Manmohan Singh Ji]

Hey Carl you shouldnt worry about the turban and beard and let that be a hurdle. These things come naturally as one transforms into Sikh. Everything does not happen over night, well for some it does. Sikhism is not a conditional mental exercise of ...look like this then you can be a Sikh. Sikhism is a beautiful way of thinking, talking and acting that slowly envelops your soul and guides you into a new healthy lifestyle and way of looking and presenting yourself. Sikhism is to lead a life guided by the Higher Power that constitutes the real you. There are a number of 'white' people i am connected to in my life, who are very inspired by the lifes of of many many many wonderful Sikhs, and like you, have started taking an interest in Sikhism. In oxford university there is a white american girl doing her PH D who became like a sister to me a few years ago. She started to chant Waheguru every morning, then started to read the SHREE GURU GRANTH SAHIB online line by line, then started to go to gurudwaras and infact because she is very independent minded, she hardly even asks my help anymore but everytime i meet her, she is a step closer to Sikhism. Another white english girl i know has given up drinking alcohol and talking drugs(which were messing her brain) and has found strength in chanting and reading about the lifes of the Sikh Gurus.The list of examples i can give you is inexhaustive. A Sikh is a 'learner' and we are all at varying degrees of our learning.

My advice is to seek out Sikh friends on this site with whom you can hang out and learn stuff. So if you share the town/ city you live in, there would be Sikhs on this site who would be willing to meet you, be your friend,show you around some Sikh gurudwaras, take you to a Sikh bookshop and converse with you. You would find this great fun because Sikhs generally are very very sincere, faithful , lifelong and genuine friends and will invite you over for food, and adopt you as their own brother. Likewise, you will find a Sikh gurudwara a great place to visit because they are filled with beautiful music and real tasty vegeterian food served free. Sikhs are also relaxed people and you will not find that you are being 'forced' to convert. Sikhism is about stumbling across truth, the truth about yourself, others, the universe, and God.

Infact as we are speaking, there is a young white guy in birmingham who has started working in my friends shop. This guy's life is pretty messed up but my friend is a wonderful Sikh guy always blossoming, cheered up and focussed. This white guy told my friend ''I want to be like you''. Hence my friend is guiding him to come out of all his troubles and introducing him to the Sikh lifestyle which is making this guy become bubbly and begin to take an interest in his life, studies etc.

You mentioned about it being a 'big' step. Actually its not. To the things we like which are good for us, we take small and steady meaningful steps, like the ones i have mentioned. This will clear your confusion. Confusion is when you confront yourself with big decisions unnecessarily. Becoming a sikh should not be such an experience. Its about making sikh friends, reading about Sikhism, visiting gurudwara, getting to understand things, going to a Sikh youth camp etc, trying out new things, etc. This is all great fun. After all life is about getting out of your comfort zone, exploring and discovering new things to enhance your human experience.

Am so confused.

Look little kid this website isn't a playground. Now or later on is a lame excuse. This should help your confusion:

Self Percept (Atam Updesh)

Why are you so engrossed in worries? Why are you afraid of some one? Who may kill you? The soul is immortal; it neither dies nor takes birth.

The present is here and now, the past is irrecoverable and the future will be good. Don't fret over the past and don't be worried about the future. The present is going on.

Why do you cry? What did you lose? When you were born, what did you bring along, which has been lost? What did you produce which has been perished? It is here that you gained and it is here that you lose. The man comes to; and goes from world, empty handed.

What you own today was not yours yesterday and will not be yours tomorrow. It does not and will not belong to anyone. You consider it your own and rejoice. This happiness of possession leads you to utter grief.

Yours is this world. Start from where you feel to; stay where you desire and wind up where you want to. It has no beginning and no end. You don't fear anyone, but yourself. You are the fright and also the frightened.

Change is the truth of life. What you consider as death is life in reality. In a moment a multi-millionaire is turned pauper. Give up the feeling of possession, great & the mean; differentiation of friend & foe. Then all is yours and you for everyone. Your corporeal being is a product of air, water, fire ,sky and earth and it merges into the same leaving behind neither blood nor bones. Still yours existence remains the same. Then ponder over what you are.

Wake up! and become the eternal sons of the Almighty. You are the great and unique manifestation of Nature's power. All the divine powers are possessed by you, like a tree hidden in the seed.

In fact you don't fear anybody; you don't have any worry, suspicion, pain or grief. You are His dear ones. Surrender yourself completely to Him.

Always, remember the "Waheguru" (God) to achieve salvation. Let your life be guided by the saying "Whatever God wills, is good". Be content with the will of God. Remember Him both in pleasure & pain.

Compiled by His Holiness Sant Isher Singh Ji Maharaj

I thank you for you reply.Don`t call me a little kid,for one i`m not a little kid,you do not know me or my life and what i`ve been through and am going through, and number two, ain`t you supposed to be a sikh? i thought sikhism is based on love,giving, helping out,etc forgive me if i was wrong.

cheers

Carl

P.S There is a gurudwara near me so i might go and check it out.

Thanks for your help.

sorry if ''vahegurujikifateh'''s words hurt. In God's eyes we are ALL god's beloved ''kids'', me, you and the guy who called you a kid. Of course, all those wonderful people who have been giving you lovely tips as to how to get close to Sikhism, think of you as a wise and lucky person in somehow getting interested in Sikhism. There are a lot of misguided 'unlucky' people in this world who make the wrong choices in their life and end up hurting. I consider those who find interest in Sikhism as being unique.

What he was trying to say was, not to stay confused and delay things till you are in your late 20s-30s. That is understandable because why do we want to delay eating something tasty, or buy something that is useful to us. I have a friend who makes electronic music for which he has a studio( btw he is a white norwegian who has been through a lot of suffering and pain, alcohol and drugs etc. Sikhism has helped him overcome all these and he is a very peaceful person today, with a beautiful new Sikh name, Deepak Singh, deepak meaning a lamp of light). The moment the new itouch player was being sold, he bought it immediately because it had dj and music making apps. Likewise, as in your own words, you have been through lots of stuff, hence here is a great chance through Sikhism to rise up like an albatross.

There are many very wonderful Sikhs on here who have replied to you who would make very good and loving friends you could talk to privately about Sikhism and who have offered to meet you to help you clear your confusion, if you go through their replies.

Ok thank you all for your answers,Still not totally sure i want to be a sikh, i mean it`s a big step for me, as i don`t think i`d like to have a beard and a turban.But i agree with the basis of sikh beliefs.

Am so confused.

cheers

Carl

Hi Carl,

First I would like to thank you for joining SikhSangat and for you to take the time to create this thread.

I apologize for some on here that dont know how to respect and address others with manners.

Yes sikhi is about love, and yes being a sikh is a very big step, its most probably the hardest religion to join and even harder to keep faith once you become a full sikh amrithari (baptist sikh).

I knew a white sikh here from the uk, he first started out being a hindu (following the hari krishna movement), but once he found out about sikhs, he slowly over time became a sikh.

He first grew his hair (used to do a ponytail ) and would wear a bandana for a long time. Once he was comfortable he began to wear turban to sikh events, like going gurdwara, sikhi camp, gatka shows etc.

First learn Japji Sahib prayer (

) then move on from their at your own pace. You cant just jump into the ocean, without learning to swim, it takes time.

Read the link below, sahjdhari sikh is one that believes in sikhism but is not a full baptized sikh yet. Its important for sahjdharis to become full sikhs eventually, but they are not strong as others so time is needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahajdhari

I welcome you to sikhi with open arms :cool: