How Should We Run Our Gurdwareh?

adhyatmic

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

After seeing violence in our Gurdwareh for a while now. Its quite obvious the way they are run doesn't seem to work.

Is there any ideas of how we could clean up this mess?

How should Gurdwareh be run? is there any old texts on how they should be run?

Do we need committees?

If not how do we get rid of them?

Put forward some ideas.

Let's run things the way Guru Ji instructs us:

ਭਾਈ ਰੇ ਦਾਸਨਿ ਦਾਸਾ ਹੋਇ ॥

भाई रे दासनि दासा होइ ॥

Bẖā▫ī re ḏāsan ḏāsā ho▫e.

O Siblings of Destiny, be the slaves of the Lord's slaves.

Let's become dassan de dass (servant of the servants) rather than fighting/arguing.

This is very hard thing to accomplish.

Often the dassan part disappears soon and chaudhar part kicks in.

The committees should be changed every year.

And those trustees, nomination committees, executing committee, it all gets complicated.

Whatever kind of committes there are, they should have atleast one amritdhari (I would prefer everybody, but its very hard to accomplish at each gurughar), one woman, one very young person, one old wise person atleast. And all the people (amritdhari or non-amritdhari), should be doing Full nitnem everyday.

Often I notice, that most of them either don't do any bani recitation or they will do japuji Sahib or may be rehras sahib and they have done enough for the day, and if you ever raise that issue as a requirement, then they will tell you, its their personal business and I have no right to know if person atleast does the nitnem.

i got some ideas!....lets keep a count of allnthe money that comes in...and it should be done by a external unit.

make all gurdwarey public rather than private so people arnt being kicked out or tresspassed because you dont like what hes/she is saying/doing. lets start electing whos running the gurdwarey rather then the politics that go on. lets make it less of a business and more of a place of worship.

sgpc- rehat maryada

http://www.sgpc.net/sikhism/sikh-dharma-manual.asp

i dont know much but i would think that the committee is kind of like a management system, managing program-kirtan, katha,

Then Langar is sangats duty, but i have seen sumtimes there are 2 or 3 ppl that are always doing langar seva-so its either they have a duty or they just do it becuz they Love serving the sangat

The main committee is to be of 5 amritdhari rehat singh rite? Basically any problem or anything the meeting would be with them, they list rules to follow like No Ppl with Haircut Allowed to Speak on stage-- I have seen this rule at a Gurdwara but it was changed becuz that city didnt have many amritdharees so it was hard to follow i guess?

Nagarkeertan events--- u need a stage secretary to make annoucements, and tell snagat to come out or if u need donations for gurdwara renovations, need people to book programs for weekends which arfe unbooked

Sumtimes Gurdwara stages can be very political and basically have a whole program of ppl doing speeches, i was at a divaan in india and i didnt understand a thing, one becuz i dont have interest for politics,,

Yes we have to talk bout sum politics like theres upcoming election put ur votes in, But the Main Purpose of aGurdwara Sahib is that it is the Guru's Door, we are to go and humbly bow and surrender are manmat so it can be replaced with gurmat, A Gurdwara is a school, we are to learn and listen to Guru Sahibs Updesh Thru Katha Kirtan kavishri dhadhi and listen to Guru Sahibs Hukumnama,

We are to enjoy time spent in Guru Sahibs Charan, that is the main purpose to serve the sangat and accomadate so they can absord Guru Sahibs Bani and Updesh,

Langar is to fufill a physical need, When i am hungry i cant concentrrate, we arent yogis we dont starve oursleves we are to take care of our body as it is our temple and Ram resides Inside,

There should always be sumone handling phone calls to the Gurdwara, as people will book programs for their house and at Gurdwara sahib,

The Gurdwara Belongs to the Sangat, We just need People to Manage, supervise and make programs

thats bout all i kno, theres prolly alot of roles ppl play in a Gurudwara management team type thing

Guest Bloom

In My Opinion,

Here Are Some Thoughts

http://www.sikhsanga...new-generation/

(In My Opinion Ignore Responses #3 and #4. SatNaam.)

Guru Sahib Kirpa Karan And Bless The New Generation RehatVaan Amritdhaaree True Khalsa Dharma (Of Course Which Includes Dhan Dhan Sri DasamGuruKaGranth Sahib Jee, Ang Sang Sri Panj Kakaar Sahib Jees, Saving From Bajjar Paaps, Etc) Premees All Over The World.

one chardikala singh told me a story about the development of committees , ill share it with you,

he said that committees were created in the Gurdwara to gain charitable status allowing access to benefits or services associated with registering as a charity. The intention of sikhs wasnt that these committees would run the gurdwara but allow for the benefits attached to having a charitable status.

however very quickly it became obvious how easy it was to set up the whole committee thing and before you know it every gurdwara had a committee and the 'panj piyare' became part of the committee, in some places they even replaced the panj piyare and in some cases the panj piyare were nominated by the fact they wore a gatra and not by jeevan..... now its embedded into sikhs that this is the way to run things.

The true way i think is to have 5 rehitvaan gursikhs, who make decisions for the gurughar and the involvement of the sangat, and obviously most importantly the decision of maharaj by taking a hukamnama.

one gurdwara without a committee is south shields, Khalsa Mero Roop Hai Khaas, its run by sevadars and any person who goes there will see the difference from any other place in the world

Well there are two ways to run the gurdwara. One is through the committee and the other way is through mahant gaddi given by gurdev of respective samparda. Both have pros and cons. I cannot speak for India, but gurdwaras run through mahant are successful and peaceful in Canada because the head of samparda's oversees everything being run. Again, no system is perfect ultimately due to human greed. One possible solution is not to change anything in the committee or mahant structure but to have one independent, huge organization free from bias or any influence overseen by the gurdwara management abroad.