Sikh Temple Robbed By Armed Men

Jagmeet

Three men are being sought by police following an armed robbery at a Sikh temple in the south side of Glasgow.

The men entered the temple on St Andrews Drive, Pollokshields, at 1115 BST on Sunday.

They took a four-figure sum of cash before escaping in the direction of Shields Road and Maxwelll Drive.

The firearm was not used during the robbery and no-one was injured but worshippers at the temple were said to be "shaken" by what happened.

The first suspect is described as a black male, about 6ft in height, with a slim build and short dark hair.

Worshippers were preparing the temple for the day's services at the time of the incident and were left shaken by events

Det Sgt Jim Leckie

He was wearing dark trousers, a dark coloured thigh-length jacket, and black baseball cap.

The second suspect is described as a black male, in his mid 20s, about 6ft in height, with a slim build.

He had on a black and white head bandana, and dark coloured waist-length jacket.

The third suspect is described as an Asian male, in his early 20s, between 5ft 3in and 5ft 5in tall with a stocky build.

He was wearing black trousers and a grey hooded top with a skull and crossbones design on the back.

Det Sgt Jim Leckie, of Strathclyde Police, said: "Worshippers were preparing the temple for the day's services at the time of the incident and were left shaken by events."

He urged anyone in the area at the time of the robbery, or anyone with information, to contact police.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8644109.stm

Sikh temple robbed by armed men

Three men are being sought by police following an armed robbery at a Sikh temple in the south side of Glasgow.

The men entered the temple on St Andrews Drive, Pollokshields, at 1115 BST on Sunday.

They took a four-figure sum of cash before escaping in the direction of Shields Road and Maxwelll Drive.

The firearm was not used during the robbery and no-one was injured but worshippers at the temple were said to be "shaken" by what happened.

The first suspect is described as a black male, about 6ft in height, with a slim build and short dark hair.

He was wearing dark trousers, a dark coloured thigh-length jacket, and black baseball cap.

The second suspect is described as a black male, in his mid 20s, about 6ft in height, with a slim build.

He had on a black and white head bandana, and dark coloured waist-length jacket.

The third suspect is described as an Asian male, in his early 20s, between 5ft 3in and 5ft 5in tall with a stocky build.

He was wearing black trousers and a grey hooded top with a skull and crossbones design on the back.

Det Sgt Jim Leckie, of Strathclyde Police, said: "Worshippers were preparing the temple for the day's services at the time of the incident and were left shaken by events."

He urged anyone in the area at the time of the robbery, or anyone with information, to contact police.

From BBC.CO.UK http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8644109.stm

Knowledge and Self Defence are very important in this day and age.

why does it seem like this happens more to our community?

i'm not saying someone should have stood up to them necessarily but certainly strategies to prevent these occurances..

easy to say with hindsight but if GuruGhars can afford to get robbed surely they can afford top quality CCTV throughout?

there are ways and means of defending. maybe if once or twice people were made an example of, this would happen less?

Ive beginning to get sick and tired of hearing things like this. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

I quote from a thread i posted in the other day (which happens to have died down)

When all other means have failed...

Whats it going to take for my brothers and sisters to realise that allowing such things to happen to us isnt going to make things better. Ive heard it all before, "Oh, theres no point fighting with these people"..."You cant quieten a dog by barking with it". This dogs arent barking anymore, they attacking.

Ask yourself this, What would Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj do?. These people dont want to listen to our words, its time for action.

I have no faith in the police, look at whats happened in the past - most recently, Singh in Huddersfield, attacked and killed in his own shop.

When the time comes, we should all be ready to fight. Sant Sipahi - a key aspect to Sikhi which most have forgotten.

I apologise if i have said anything that has offended anyone or said anything incorrect, these are my personal views.

WJKK WJKF

When will we learn? Ok a firearm was involved, but this is a GuruGhar! Place of sanctity... and Sangat sat back and let this happen? I know i will probably be attacked by members on this forum for saying what i just did. And YES i would have got up and fought, regardless of firearm.

Guru Sahib gave us the gift of Sant AND Sipahi... it seems the Sipahi aspect has been diluted with time. I am shocked and upset by what ive heard... I have no words atm

Well I mean seriously if we the KHALSA, Akal Purakh Ki Fauj, the ones that are supposed to help others, cannot protect our own Gurdwara then it really shows what state the panth is in. Someone came into the Gurdwara and STOLE from our Guru. OUR GURU what else do we need to wake us up? Guru Maharaj that we bow to!! This is disgraceful that no one did anything about it.

Don't be so fast to judge... the BBC report doesn't give details about exactly what happened and who was present.

There were only a handful of people in the Divan due to the nagar kirtan taking place. This robbery was very very cleverly planned.

A 9 month baby was within the sangat and that was probably the main concern of others around. Sure Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the most important of all and there was no threat to Guru Ji. Probably because the robbers don't recognise Guru Ji as our Guru. The robbery took place in a matter of 5 minutes. I was literally grab and run. If a firearm wasn't involved and if the divan was full of sangat, im very much sure it would have been a different outcome altogether.

s50 is right, and thats what my feedback was on the incident. Too many Gurdwara in a city/town and not enough sangat to look after them. Traditionally Akhand Paath's should be done with 25 Amritdhari Singhs. 5 Singhs are always on duty in darbar sahib, from patthee to pehradhar. It's a shame the maryada has slacked all over the world.