Interested In Sikhism

Guest BusinessLady

Everything has a purpose. Nature goes in a cycle. So God has not created anything useless, everything is useful and so is hair.

Two main reasons why we dont cut our hair:

1. Our last Guru in human form Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji has restricted us to do so and a Sikh believes that by following our Guru's path, we can become one with God and get rid of the cycle of reincarnation. Sikh- Learner Guru- Guide/Teacher

2. By cutting our hair, or altering with our bodies we are saying that "No God we do not like the way you have created us, So I am going to alter it to please me." When the whole purpose of a Sikh is to please God and follow our Guru.

So one cannot become a practising Sikh if they cut their hair because then it defeats the whole purpose of Sikhi, which is to follow our Guru's and Love God.

And your question about why Sikhs cut their nails is answered in this article.

It is often argued that Sikhs do not cut their hair so why do they cut their nails. Sikhs only cut the dead gray part of their nails, not the alive pink/red part. This is similar to combing and removing dead hair while retaining live hair. Just like we do not cut the pink/red part of our nails, why should we cut our perfectly live and healthy hair? If anything dead grey part of nails should be compared to dandruff or dead hair removed while combing.

In addition, hair is not a hindrance to anyone. Because hair can be placed in a bun and kept clean and does perform a number of functions, it is only practical to realize that keeping hair is not hard. On the other hand, having long nails is a hindrance to the body. An individual with long nails cannot functions and do everyday chores comfortably. In order to ensure that one can perform the tasks of everyday life, only the dead part of nails is trimmed.

In addition, whereas the hair grows from a tubular pit (hair follicle), formed by sinking in of the most actively dividing layer of the skin (stratum germinativum) into the lower dermis, the gray part of nails is only modifications of the upper dead layer (stratum corneum). Further, the base of every follicle bulges out forming an inverted cup, which receives blood capillaries for nourishment and nerve fibers to make the hair sensitive. An oil gland, known as sebaceous gland, opens into every hair follicle, the secretion of which lubricates the hair. A muscle is also attached to the base of every hair for bringing about movement. Pigments are added to the shaft of the hair as it grows. None of these features is associated with the dead part of nails.

Structurally, hair is extremely strong, and resists breaking due to its elasticity and flexibility. Strength of hair can be estimated from the following facts, a human hair laid on a bar of steel and then passed through a cold rolling mill would leave an imprint on the face of the steel. A hair of a man’s beard is about as strong as a copper wire of the same dimensions. If a rope were made out of strands of long hair, it would be strong enough to lift an automobile. Dead part of nails, on the other hand, are very brittle and rigid, breaking off easily. Hair are countless (upto 125,000 on head region alone), thereby increasing the surface area. Hair protects us against the harmful Ultra Violet radiations and skin cancer while the dead part of the nails do not seem to provide a similar functionality.

The differences between the two do not end with the structural features. Even the body’s response towards the two is totally different. Our body, throughout life, tries to maintain a particular length of hair. Every individual has a specific length for hair. Once the hair reaches its specific length, it stops growing. If the hair is cut, the body responds by growing it again to the specific length. It clearly indicates the link of the body with the hair all along its length. The body shows no such response to the nails, which grow from birth to death at the same rate, irrespective of whether cut or not. It follows, thus, that cutting of the dead part of nails does not tell on the body at all, whereas, cutting of hair puts extra load on the body. To sum up, if there is anything on the head that can be compared with the dead part of nails, it is either dandruff or dead hair which are removed by combing.

Nature knows best what to retain or discard. Whatever is retained is not without purpose. Hair is a gift from God, not a burden. Guru Gobind Singh Ji, in his infinite wisdom, instructed us to respect hair and refrain from tampering with it. This is the visible token of his affection for us, as well as our faith in him.

http://www.realsikhism.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1248365011&ucat=7

Hope this helped.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Humgareeb,

Thanks for letting me know. However, I would like to question this. Our nails also grow, are you saying we should not trim them? Are you allowed to trim your nails in Sikhism or you cant because they grow for a reason?

Manythanks.

BusinessLady

Read this link:

http://www.realsikhism.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1248365011&ucat=7

Guest BusinessLady

Hi Humgareeb,

Thanks for letting me know. However, I would like to question this. Our nails also grow, are you saying we should not trim them? Are you allowed to trim your nails in Sikhism or you cant because they grow for a reason?

Manythanks.

BusinessLady

Read this link:

http://www.realsikhi...48365011&ucat=7

Great, thanks for the links and information. I guess this answers the question on your side.

From my intellect, I believe humans should be able to change them selves after birth e.g. cut their hair as it is ones choice. Science proves arm pit hair is unhygienic and I would like to believe in a God where I keep my self hygienic and clean in worship.

Many Thanks.

BusinessLady.

BusinessLady I am highly suspicious about your line of condescending questions and your flippant replies to me this is more of a person who wants to cause disruption with bigoted views where you dismiss our values/beliefs with throw away comments.

Do not waste the time of the Khalsa / Sangat by pretending to be interested when you clearly are up-to-mischief

I will monitor you from now on much more closely.

GurFateh Jio

u have ur opinion like i sed b4 Sikhism is a hard path to follow

the ones who follow it have love which gives them strenth

maybe you might not have what it takes (no offense its a hard path to follow)

to b a Sikh u cant care about public opinion

of course God gives all strength we just take the first step and God takes millons, God is our strength

Guru ji himself says sikhi is khannio tikhi valo nikhi- sharp as a sword and thin as a hair

good luck in ur search for religons

Sikhism is not a missionary faith

we dont care how many ppl in the world call themselves Sikh

it doesnt matter

so u have ur opinion and we have ours

Sikhs care about quality not quantity

One true Sikh can face the whole world with the support of Ik Oang Kar

Guest shastr

Hi Humgareeb,

Manythanks.

BusinessLady

Read this link:

http://www.realsikhi...48365011&ucat=7

Great, thanks for the links and information. I guess this answers the question on your side.

From my intellect, I believe humans should be able to change them selves after birth e.g. cut their hair as it is ones choice. Science proves arm pit hair is unhygienic and I would like to believe in a God where I keep my self hygienic and clean in worship.

Many Thanks.

BusinessLady.

good for you lady. and this is why you werent born into sikhi. cuz its not for you! its the hardest thing in the world, to be a sikh. couldnt be more clear then that. might sound really rude or something, but sorry to say, this path is not meant for everyone. for the rest of sangat who might be reading this and thinking its not right to say somethign lilke that, well even gurbani says the same thing. sikhi is not ment for everybody.

think about it business lady, if this path was right for you, you would have been born into it. simple as that. and for those people who say "oh there are white sikhs too". well lets leave that to another topic, growing your hair doesnt make you sikh.

Many Thanks.

BusinessLady.

Religion is higher than science. You are entitled to it opinion, and live life as u want, no one is imposing any religion on u! You asked some questions so we are genuinely trying to help. If you just having some fun then go have it somewhere else..