Interested In Sikhism

Guest BusinessLady

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, thanks for the links and information. I guess this answers the question on your side.

From my intellect, I believe humans should be able to change them selves after birth e.g. cut their hair as it is ones choice. Science proves arm pit hair is unhygienic and I would like to believe in a God where I keep my self hygienic and clean in worship.

Many Thanks.

BusinessLady.

A Sikh lives by the Guru's intellect (Gurmat), not his/her own (manmat). Unless one doesn't shed his/her intellect that arises out of one's own finite and flawed understanding of the truth, it will be hard to grasp the deep concepts of Sikhi. Changing oneself in anyway is a direct statement to the Creator "hey, you made a mistake, I am going to rectify it". Science changes its own statements every few decades, and so don't be surprised if in a few decades a scientist comes around saying that growing armpit hair is the cure for many skin diseases. You may want to believe in anything, but choosing a "kind of God" is impossible, because God is one, and only one of His kind.

Responding to your other comments from other thankfully locked threads...

From my intellect, I believe God created humans. God does not need to come down as a human to convey his message, rather it would make sense for him to send messengers (which I was hoping you would say).

I reject your belief that God came down in human form (and done normal things like go to the toilet).

Also, from reading more into Sikhism and history. Guru Nanak (so called god in human form) is not even in the top 100 most influential man in history (God should be more influential than other humans!).

I think I will have to keep continuing my search for the true religion of God.

I don't think anyone has the authority to command Vaheguru (you may use the term God, I'll stick with Vaheguru) regarding what to do and what not to do. Vaheguru can do anything, anytime as it pleases Vaheguru (not using him/her). Gurbani (the word of the True Guru) itself rejects the notion that Vaheguru comes in human form, however, those who have attained the spiritual state called "brahmgyan" are no different from Vaheguru, as their nature becomes like that of Vaheguru. They see the light of Vaheguru wherever they look. This concept of "brahmgyan" is probably not known of in the semitic faiths, so I am not sure how much you'll be able to grasp. Your rejection of Vaheguru coming in human form and going to the toilet only reflects where you are thinking from..the toilet. Calling Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj as "so called god in human form" is disrespectful, so watch your words in future. A mere reading of journals/magazines which project someone else as the most influential person in history is by no means any parameter to state that Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj was not influential. We don't need to prove anything to you, just read upon Sikh history and get your facts right.

This belief seems strange to me, the concept of heaven and hell seems to make more sense. I would like to be rewarded for my good deeds.

I reject this concept.

Feel free to reject it. No one on this forum is going to lose sleep over it, although I am sure the reason you are posting here is because you lost your late Saturday afternoon sleep due to the Vasakhi parade. I am sure it wasn't that loud and irritating for you, that you took the time to come on board here and try in vain to diss the Sikh religion. Go on, try to be a better human being and get rewarded in heaven for your good deeds. Once you're done enjoying the fruits, see you back on planet earth.
As my journey through this religion continues, I am very disappointed. I want to follow a religion from God the creator which should therefore be perfect and make sense!

However, TejKaur says that sikhism is a man made religion:

http://www.sikhsanga...ion-of-sikhism/

4) Guru ji says there is no correct religon , religon is man made, only love leads to God,saints have and will come, so have sinners, if we have water and someone calls it aqua someone else calls it pani, it is still the same thing, if we have a human, and he calls himseld a Muslim, or a Christian, or a Jew, it still doesnt make him one, if one calls God Allah or Christ it still doesnt make God that

we humans dont know anything how can we know God, we still dont know the size of creation how can we know the creator

Point 1 - If your religion is made by humans - it is bound to have errors

Point 2 - I belief if there is 1 god, there should be 1 religion - not all universal. All religions teach totally different things e.g. reincarnation, heaven and hell, cant eat beef/cant eat pork.

No were near universal!

Your journey has not even started, because Sikhi is NOT a religion, its a journey itself!! The reason things don't make sense to you is because you are analyzing Sikhi from your Christian/Muslim measuring scale. Visualize it neutrally if you want to gain anything, otherwise stick to what you are born into, and let others follow Sikhi. Now since Sikhi is NOT a religion, might I also add that it is NOT man-made. Do you people even know what man-made is? The rules and regulations that fill pages and volumes of religious scriptures of semitic faiths, those are the ones that can be called man-made. If you had bothered to read only 1 ang ("page" in your English language) of Gurbani, you'd know that it speaks only about Vaheguru. And yes, there is only 1 religion to reach Vaheguru, and thats Naam. Simple as that! As far as eating beef/pork is concerned, you should try vegetarian Indian food (if your digestive system can handle the spices and masalley).
How did god reveal the words of the Guru Grant Sahib to the 10 gurus and the muslim and hindu saints?

Did god tell them the words in their brain and they wrote it down? Or were all 10 Sikh gurus god in human form?

Like I said, the mystical aspect of Sikhi may be hard for a semitic to comprehend, as their faiths are all about ritualistic worship and external activities. The Gurus and the Hindu/Muslim saints were of the spiritual stage called "brahmgyan", and unless you don't figure out what that is (I can't because I am not there), its like comparing apples to oranges. This is the main problem most non-Sikhs have when they try to understand Sikhi. You don't let go of your own glasses in order to see the real Sikhi. You continue to analyze Sikhi through your Hindu/Muslim/Christian/Jewish/Buddhist/Atheist/Agnostic lens, and thereby waste time finding faults.

First you had a problem with armpit hair, then you want to go to heaven and be rewarded, then you want a scripture that fell down from the sky. Sorry, we have no problems with armpit hair, we don't want a temporary heaven, and our Guru (scripture in the language of non-Sikhs) is beyond perfect and the words in there are from beyond the heavens. A Sikh is one who surrenders his mind, body, intellect to the Perfect True Guru, doesn't question the will/order/command of the Perfect True Guru. But I guess you wouldn't be comfortable with that, because like a modern westerner, you see hair as sign of uncleanliness. When you are, please do come back and let us know. Until then, carry on your hunt for the truth, and if possible, make sure to have makkee di roti with sarso da saag, plus a cold glass of lassee which is very good to have in summer.

Nobody can learn and understand other culture or religion overnight or by having a introduction of other religion on internet. It takes months if not years to get the real grasp of the unique lifestyle of others around the world.

Respect & cautious mind is needed when talking about other religion. That is the first step to take before plunging yourself into the journey of learning other religion, culture and history. If genuine then it is time for you to hit Half.com or amazon.com and order "The Sikhs" by Patwant Singh.

Hello BusinessLady, I hope you are well.

I just wanted to say that I am not of Punjabi or Indian origin, but infact white british. Although like all Sikhs who have many questions regarding Sikhism; if you have any questions about sikhi from a perspective from somone who wasn't born into a sikh family than feel free to contact me.

Keep posting on here however, there are many spiritually high individuals who are more knowledgable than I can ever hope to be.

Take Care

SikherOfTheNaam

Hi,

I recently saw a procession of sikhs go by (southampton) and I was quite amazed by proceedings. This made me interested in the Sikh religion. I currently do not have a religion.

Could you advise me on what the key principles and practices of your faith? What do you exactly believe in and what is your concept of life?

I noticed most people from the procession were South Asian, is your religion for people of all races or is it mainly within India?

Many Thanks.

BusinessLady

Mam first word in Sri Guru Granth Shiab is EKONKAR means only one Almighty that is God secondly why we keep unshorn hair answer is that when a human being takes shape first shape is tail like which is actually hair when a human takes birth he has unshorn hair so it s correct to say each humanbeing is born as a sikh. Although Guru Gobind Singh ji included unshorn hair as the first test for Sikh but first Guru Nanak ji also lays emphasis on unshorn hair as it is clear from many events related to his travels all sikh Gurus along with their families and other sikhs had unshorn hair as the oldest wall paintings bear testimonial to it. So sikh is successor to Almighty and Amrit or believe in holy nectar along with strict code regulates a sikh life. As God gives a soul human to live like humans only sikh code of conduct guides true human beings to live like humans even in worst diasters like war, natural calamities.

Businesslady,

from your responses instead of learning about a religion you seem more about judging a religion. In all religions there is spiritual way of thinking and for us, we keep our hair(kesh as we like to call them) because we believe it is a gift from god, why would have god given us such natural traits??...we believe that everything given to us is just the way god wanted us to be. If there are any objections to accepting this then i dont think this is the path you would like or want to follow.