Advice

Guest advice

Guest advice

Gur Fateh

I need some advice please... This might sound really strange. Basically I have some problem where if I do something and I thought comes into my head, I cannot differentiate between whether that was just a thought in my head or that thought made me do what I did. As an example, if im scratching my arm or something i might get a thought in my head like 'oh wait a hair might come off', and then next thing I know I really cannot tell if I was actually scratching my arm TO remove a hair (btw I'ma Singh, and I don't have any thing against any of the hair on my body, so its not a case of me wanting it removed for aesthetic reasons or something). So I'm reallly confused and sooo paranoid right now. I honestly believe I actually must have some mental problem or something. Like the other day, just daydreaming I was playing around with my pen in a lecture and so one of those stupid thoughts u get in lectures comes in my head where I think, I'll click my pen against my arm... then i think no don't do that u migh remove a hair. Then next thing I know I'm daydreaming and and clicking the pen against my arm, then the thought about removal, then I'm actually confused whether I did that knowingly that a hair will be removed, and am thinking or did I actually do it to remove a hair. Like I sad I know I sound totally nuts, you don't need to tell me.

I should probably say for about a year or two, before recieving amrit I have been having various mental problems, ocd of sorts, depression etc. So I wouldn't rule out (infact I would think) that this is part of my mind problems.

Is this something to worry about?? Do I need to see panj? Sometimes I think what if i did try and remove hair on purpose and I don't see the panj??? Arrgh, please don't hate me for being like this.

Guest Guest

Hello, I can see where you are coming from and I wouldnt worry about it. If you scratch your arm and hair comes off it will be loose, "dead" hair which would fall out anyway. The kurehat would be to physically pluck/shave/remove the hair with the intent of removing it.

Since you say you have previously had problems with OCD, I don't know if a reply on an internet message board will be enough for you - maybe you should talk to an elder Gurmukh, or even the Panj, if you feel you are still worrying about it. But from a Gurmat perspective I don't think you've done anything wrong and I think it happens to everyone - when you have a shower and scrub yourself hair can come off but you wouldnt stop having showers because of this!

Guest Guest

One thing i've realised is that, these thoughts can come into one's head when the head is empty!... e.g. like when your at uni, its constant lectures and seminars, then your mind just drains especially if this happens 5 days a week...listen to simran and kirtan etc while you are at uni, then your mind won't feel so empty or drained :)

Guest singh.

focus more on simran. also, maybe you need to stay more grounded. look up on net 'grounding walks'. go for walks and really feel your foot as it touches the ground and lifts off. feel all your muscles moving in your body as you are walking.

and yeah, if it's unintentional, it's not bujjerkurhait.

Guest naam

gauVI guAwryrI mhlw 5 ]

Gauree Gwaarayree, Fifth Mehl:

ga-orhee gu-aarayree mehlaa 5.

ijsu min vsY qrY jnu soie ]

Those whose minds are filled with the Lord, swim across.

jis man vasai tarai jan so-ay.

jw kY krim prwpiq hoie ]

Those who have the blessing of good karma, meet with the Lord.

jaa kai karam paraapat ho-ay.

dUKu rogu kCu Bau n ibAwpY ]

Pain, disease and fear do not affect them at all.

dookh rog kachh bha-o na bi-aapai.

AMimRq nwmu irdY hir jwpY ]1]

They meditate on the Ambrosial Name of the Lord within their hearts. ||1||

amrit naam ridai har jaapai. ||1||

Do naam jaap, I also suffered from mental illness, naam completely cured me. I swear to you, it will protect your body, you will know what you're doing, it will get rid of ocd, paranoia and all those other things you have. Do it from the heart, and with love, give your pain to the guru and focus on him whilst doing it, form a relationship with him, make him your best friend and master.

Guest wondering

Dear Naam which part of bani is best to do? You said do naam jap, but is it th one u wrote or is that part of an extended path. Thanku.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Naam

Dear Naam which part of bani is best to do? You said do naam jap, but is it th one u wrote or is that part of an extended path. Thanku.

Hi, really sorry about my late reply.

Naam is gods name, you can use many but I use Satnam (Truth is his name)-

The bit I posted was a part of gurbani. :)

Guest Naam

Oh and about bani, all bani is really good, try and read all of Guru Granth Sahib Ji and Dasam Granth Sahib Ji and make sure you know the meaning of everything you read, this is really important.

I do Jaap Ji Sahib in the morning , Rehras in the evening and Kirtan Sohila at night usually before bed. Keep this constant, try you utmost not to miss one and if you feel like you can't read it from a gutka, learn it off by heart and say it whilst doing whatever you're doing.

Makes sure its from the heart and it's just you and god- remember loves really important, Guru Gobind Singh Ji says without love, god cannot not be found no matter how hard you try.

Read up on naam jaap in both Granths, it is our main purpose in life, we're here to find god and the only way to do that in this dark age is naam Jap!

Gur Fateh

I need some advice please... This might sound really strange. Basically I have some problem where if I do something and I thought comes into my head, I cannot differentiate between whether that was just a thought in my head or that thought made me do what I did. As an example, if im scratching my arm or something i might get a thought in my head like 'oh wait a hair might come off', and then next thing I know I really cannot tell if I was actually scratching my arm TO remove a hair (btw I'ma Singh, and I don't have any thing against any of the hair on my body, so its not a case of me wanting it removed for aesthetic reasons or something). So I'm reallly confused and sooo paranoid right now. I honestly believe I actually must have some mental problem or something. Like the other day, just daydreaming I was playing around with my pen in a lecture and so one of those stupid thoughts u get in lectures comes in my head where I think, I'll click my pen against my arm... then i think no don't do that u migh remove a hair. Then next thing I know I'm daydreaming and and clicking the pen against my arm, then the thought about removal, then I'm actually confused whether I did that knowingly that a hair will be removed, and am thinking or did I actually do it to remove a hair. Like I sad I know I sound totally nuts, you don't need to tell me.

I should probably say for about a year or two, before recieving amrit I have been having various mental problems, ocd of sorts, depression etc. So I wouldn't rule out (infact I would think) that this is part of my mind problems.

Is this something to worry about?? Do I need to see panj? Sometimes I think what if i did try and remove hair on purpose and I don't see the panj??? Arrgh, please don't hate me for being like this.

You don't sound nuts at all, but what you describe is a pretty common story of OCD. If you haven't done so already, I'd get a simple book on OCD and read it so that you understand how the obsessive-compulsive mindset works. Are you receiving any kind of treatment - therapy, medication, etc?

You've already made it clear in your post that 1) You have no conscious desire to remove hair, and that 2) you are Amritdhari so know that you would never remove your hair on purpose. For these reasons, you have no need to get pesh for whatever hair is removed (or falls out) accidentally.

K.