Sikh-Islamic Relations Threatened

s50

http://news.bbc.co.u...and/8670849.stm

The British National Party (BNP) could push Sikh-Muslim tensions to breaking point in Birmingham, Coventry and Wolverhampton, it has been warned.

The claim was made in a research paper by Professor Gurphal Singh of Birmingham University for inter-denominational group Faith Matters.

In it he accuses the BNP of siding with Sikhs and encouraging Islamaphobia.

But this was rejected by the BNP, who said the party was simply reflecting concerns that were in all communities.

Faith Matters director Fiyaz Murghal said the BNP had distributed leaflets suggesting race relation problems lay with Muslim communities and not Sikhs or Hindus.

Cultural heritage

"There have been points of very clear co-existence and there are points of tension," he said.

"What the far-right does is use the issue of tension and completely forget the co-existence of peaceful elements, just focussing on the negative."

BNP sub-regional organiser Richard Lumby said the issues the party addressed did not exist "in a vacuum".

"If we disappeared tomorrow the concerns wouldn't go away," he said.

"We are not 'pal-ing' up with the Sikh community. We're being approached by people who see the views we're expressing, the concerns of ordinary people."

Faith Matters aims to promote and develop community cohesion between different faiths.

Prof Singh's findings called for Sikhs and Muslims to engage and "rediscover" their shared cultural heritage.

what relations? sikhs dont have any relations with muslims in the uk as far as im concerned. Although i dont support the bnp, theres no love lost between sikhs and muslims and this tension between them as exisited way before the BNP have got involved. If you cant admit to this then your blind. Sikhs and muslims will always have tensions, this is evident in the history of our nation way before into our gurus times. THe only way its ever going to get sorted is, when we sikhs man up like the old days and slap the muslims into keeping to themselves and leaving our community alone like how the older generation did it in the 80s and 90s. END OF. muslims will always target sikhs, weather the bnp r involved in it or not, FACT. Stop looking for pus-sy exuses.

what relations? sikhs dont have any relations with muslims in the uk as far as im concerned. Although i dont support the bnp, theres no love lost between sikhs and muslims and this tension between them as exisited way before the BNP have got involved. If you cant admit to this then your blind. Sikhs and muslims will always have tensions, this is evident in the history of our nation way before into our gurus times. THe only way its ever going to get sorted is, when we sikhs man up like the old days and slap the muslims into keeping to themselves and leaving our community alone like how the older generation did it in the 80s and 90s. END OF. muslims will always target sikhs, weather the bnp r involved in it or not, FACT. Stop looking for pus-sy exuses.

I agree and so do many sikhs young and old, male and female. The muslim community is the enemy to all not Just Sikhs. But we have been felling the tension for along time since the 80's but the gora are felling it now. There is no point trying to paint the Muslim community as fun loving liberal people they are truely extreame and very arrogant.

We should lobby the goverment to stop further Muslim immigration to the UK.

We should lobby to kurb Mulslim extremism in the UK.

We should lobby to repatriate extreamist Muslim.

We should every benefit fraud commited by this community.

If the Muslims population continues to increase in the UK, it will just caus emore problems for our children !

In regards to Muslims and them being the cause of concern, BNP is saying out loud what most British people are too afraid to say. However, that doesnt mean I feel they are justified.

Forget white people saying Muslims are cause for concern... Sikhs, hindus, jews all agree that Islam is a great risk to society. AND even some muslims agree with that!

I dont feel BNP is trying to cause hatred and violence between Muslims and Sikhs, Hindus etc. As I said above, they are merely thinking out aloud.

agreed inderking, bnp atleast got the guts to admit to the islamic problem in the uk, sikhs and the rest of the non muslims need to admit it to (rather then blaming the bnp for fueling tensions) the bnp have simply spelt it the way it is. its already out of control as it is. BIG UP SP for standing up to the tondeh. Rest of you saint soldiers r no where to be seen when it comes to tackling these punks (no offense to the 1s who actually do, which i knw is a minority).

agreed inderking, bnp atleast got the guts to admit to the islamic problem in the uk, sikhs and the rest of the non muslims need to admit it to (rather then blaming the bnp for fueling tensions) the bnp have simply spelt it the way it is. its already out of control as it is. BIG UP SP for standing up to the tondeh. Rest of you saint soldiers r no where to be seen when it comes to tackling these punks (no offense to the 1s who actually do, which i knw is a minority).

well done brother..said it like it is..(y)...too many pluto sikhs around..living in a fantasy world...with a malaa in one hand and a sugar coated donut in the other hand...know nothing about warfare..living in past history...

The relations such as; that ethnically we descended from the same tribal ethnicities (Scynitian, Aryan, Dravidan, Greeks, Ancient Mesopotamum, etc.) and races that pre-existed modern colonian british India. That Guru Nanak was born in a time when they ruled and Muslim thought effected the thought of Sikhs from then on, that Guru nanak visited many muslim nations, had great dialogue with many Muslims throughout his time on the earth in physical form. That Guru sahiban requested Sia Mian Mir (Syed) to lay the foundation stone of Harmander Sahib. That Sikhs were composed of Muslim devotees prior to 1947, people who had and still have sharda for Guru Nanak as a Pir/Fakir (Pir Nanak, Nanak Shah Fakir Musalman ka pir). That Guru Hargobind Sahib built a Mosque for Muslim devotees. That Sikhs under Guru Gobind Singh fought a huge war for Bahadur Shah to ascend to the throne of Hindustan after Aurangzeb, that Guru Gobind Singhs court had Muslim poets as well. That Sikhs and Muslims lived in peace until extremists political and religious (both sides) stirred up hatred, but love still exisited amongst communities. The Afghani Sikh community had to face the Taliban but they had Muslims who still befriended them shared love with them. Guru Nanak revelled in Mecca to great Islamic scholars that the real sunnah of the prophet muhammad was kesh. Amongst sufis and Sikhs we share a beard, turban tradition. That the Sikh school of thought by some scholars was classed in parallel with Sufi Islamic tradation. That many Sufi saints lifes work of bani was given satkar and called divine words and incorporated in shabad Guru and when we bow, we bow to those before. That even today within the Sikh community we have people who have bloodlines coming from Muslims and Muslims from Sikhs. That Muslims (and Hindus) fought together side by side in many battles in political struggles against Mughal forces (this piece of history is twisted to say that Sikhs fought Muslims, Sikhs Hindus and Muslims fought against each other for political purposes). That Bhai Kaniya ji saw Guru in all even in a Muslim soldier who was sent to kill Sikhs and gave him water and recovered him. That our God is in all people even Muslims (if you do not see god in all you do not see god at all). Alot of people (Sikhs for this case) have problems with the WA HABI (saudi) Sunni Muslims, as other Shia, Ahmedia and Sufi muslims call them Nutters such as Bin Laden, Captain hook and the rest of these kaur to khan lot as well as the attacking Britian nutters. Remember we have Sikh nutters who want to kills all hindus, muslims and make everyone Sikh and create khalistan in the whole entire world. A utopic nation by means of facism, instead of tolerance, resepect and love.

And as maharaj said;

Aval alah nūr upā▫i▫ā kuḏraṯ ke sabẖ banḏe.

First, Allah created the Light; then, by His Creative Power, He made all mortal beings.

Ėk nūr ṯe sabẖ jag upji▫ā ka▫un bẖale ko manḏe. ||1||

From the One Light, the entire universe welled up. So who is good, and who is bad? ||1||

SGGS ANG 1349

Mātī ek anek bẖāʼnṯ kar sājī sājanhārai.

The clay is the same, but the Fashioner has fashioned it in various ways.

SGGS ANG 1350

the idea of khalsa raj is facism?...clearly you do not know what facism is...maybe you should put down the pipe your smoking from ...ive never met a sikh who wants to kill alll muslims and hindus..even some hardcore khalistanis ive spoken to see non sikhs as equal human beings...soo please dont spread your anti khalistani propaganda on here...yea obviously your always going to get bad apples in every group or community...but for you to defame khalistanis as sikh nutters is totally wrong..soo hari singh nalwa was a sikh nutter?...and akali phoola singh? ...both singhs gave their lives to maintain and expand the khalsa raj during the 1800s...the khalistanis have the same mission today!

Khalsa Raj is not fascism nor is supporting a nation state based on it. Anyone who thinks supporting Khalistan is fascism clearly doesnt know the meaning of the word. But lets leave that aside

South Asian/Desi Muslims and Sikhs share alot of common cultural heritage and theological teachings. It's a shame some people (mostly from the muslim side) are more athiesticly tribalists (muslim by name) than truly humanitarian religiously inclined. Though we too have a fair share of athiest tribalists (Sikh by name) who are see anything connected to Islam as inherently evil and must be opposed and countered.

I am new to this site but after stumbling across it I felt I had to join.

Like many of the people on this forum, I have been blessed with the opportunity to grow up in a multi-faith society that comprises all the major religions (including muslims).

I find it worrying that a number of you have voiced your suspicions and general dislike of islam. More alarming is the suggestion that the BNP is not guilty of exploiting the quite evident tensions between Sikhs and Muslims. We should not forget that the British Empire was forged using the principles of divide and conquer. This will not have escaped the minds of the BNP leadership and I can certainly see parallels with the way they are seeking to promote their views. The BNP have had limited success with the white community of Britain so why not seek to deepen divisions among Sikhs and Muslims? It is quite telling that the first (and I hope only) member of the BNP is a sikh man who has grown up with a hatred of muslims following partition. This gentleman is clean shaven with short hair but when campaigning for the BNP, he wears a turban (probably on the advice of his BNP superiors).

I acknowledge that there has been a steady growth in extremism among muslims but what about the vast majority of peace-loving muslims. Do we ignore them because they are the silent majority or do we help them to find a voice?

Before I start dealing with the oncoming onslaught of all you militants out there, I am not some donut carrying Sikh but I am a realist. I do not have the answer to the question of how to stop extremism but I do know that history has taught us that violence begets violence and tackling extremism by becoming a different type of extremist can only harm us and our children in the long run.