I Want To Lose The Weight!

Guest wanna b slim

Theirs research all over the internet on doing AM Cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and why its optimal for burning fat, you can look it up for yourself try any bodybuilding forum, elitefitness.com is a pretty good one...but I should have added a caveat to my advice its probably not the best way to start for beginners but it is the most effective.

Bhaji, I don't mean to be offensive, but science has moved on from just thinking about "burning" fat. The latest consensus is to think about "burning" calories. Basically it comes down to having a moderate calorie deficit forcing the body to tap into it's fat reserves to make up for this energy deficit. Now a days, it's all about working as hard as you can during the workout. I'm sure you know that doing that on an empty stomach is not safe.

Last thing I want to add is that it goes without saying that harder the workout the more calories one will burn. What a lot of people don't realize is that by doing a really tough workout, you will not only burn calories during the workout but even after you stop exercising! I have noticed in my own workout schedule, if I do an exceptionally tough workout, where, as per my Heart Rate monitor I burn 800+ calories in 50 mins then I'm quite hungry the next couple of days. Basically the tough workout has depleted my body's energy reserves and all the food I eat is used by my body to restore these reserves and nothing is stored as fat. A word of caution however, it took me 2 months to be able to sustain such tough workouts (even though I have been regularly working out for over 2 years now), thus I would caution beginners against high intensity workouts. Slowly building up the intensity of your workouts is the best and safest way to go.

Guest hardwork

go to india from may/june until september and do seva at Harmandir Sahib everyday, in the evenings you can join in the Gatka classes which take place outside the complex. in you spare time read bani and take part in the seva such as cleaning the marble floors during the day and at night

eat langar once a day. all other times fruit and water

after three or four months i can guarantee you will come back a new person, and will lose half you body weight. I talkin from my own experience.

Guru Ji di Kirpa i had the time and opportunity to do this, i didnt go to build muscle, just lose the fat. and it worked

however if you cant go, then you need to go to the gym every day without fail for at least one hour, and cut out crisps, chocolate, and fizzy drinks and absolutley no pizza.

To the original poster. I can help you. Firstly you need to tell me how old you are. If your under 18 then I advise you to wait. If your over 18 then calculate your ideal body weight. To do this measure your height and read across this graph here (http://headwhispers.com/wp2/images/BMI.gif) to work out you ideal bodyweight.

This is my secret of weight body loss which you will not find on internet sites as they all want to make money by selling you some diet. What you actually have to do is simple. You find out your ideal bodyweight and apply simple mathematical calculation. To do this you need to know some basics. The approximations are 1kg = 2.2 pounds of fat or 1 pound of fat = 0.45kg. half a pound of fat = 0.22kg 1 pound of fat contains 3500 calories. half a pound of fat = 1750 calories.

Now don't think you can loose everything suddenly because 1. its dangerous 2. You will get saggy skin and then need plastic surgery. 3. You need to loose it slowly so your body has time to remodel.

The amount I would recommend you to loose would be half a pound a week. So this is about 0.22kg.

You need to eat properly. Most people think you should cut down on food when thats really bad for you because your body will think their is a faminine and so slow down and it will be harder to loose weight. SO eat properly and as sikhs we do eat healthy (we are vegetarian) so no need to stop eating roti swap dhal etc. Only thing worth not eating is chocolate and crisps But eat breakfast, eat at break time, eat at lunch, eat at dinner and have a snack before bed (I have milk). Don't cut down on food at all! And don't completely cut out things like margarine as our body needs some fat to function.

So anyways now that we know how much you need to loose you can start calculating things. So lets pretend your height is 5 foot 7. Then your ideal body weight (upper range on chart) is 70kg. You weigh 80kg. This means you need to loose 10kg. If you loose half a pound of fat per week then your loosing 0.22kg. To loose half a poung of fat per week you need to burn 1750 calories then you need to burn 1750/7 = 250 calories per day. (which is about half an hour running on the treadmill or if you don't have money or a gym then just run outside at a pace of 8mph for 30-45 mins every day).

Now you know what to do, but to make sure it working you need to monitor yourself. I would measure your waist and hip in cm as its more accurate than weighing yourself (weight goes up with muscles). Also you need to calculate how long this would take, based on the loss of 10kg where your losing 0.22kg per week then it would take you about 45 weeks. Which is just under a year, which acutally is not bad!

I hope the above maths equation makes sense. Whatever you do, do not stop eating. It will ruin the above calculation as it will change your metabolic rate. Also you should not try to loose more than 500 calories per day. I would stick with 250 calories lost per day as its easier to maintain and alot better if you gradually decrease weight!

Anyways good luck, keep the motivation going, weigh yourself each month and see if your on target!!

ps-if you don't understand certain parts of the maths just ask.

I just wanted to add to Barfi_n_Mithai's post that while BMI is a good measure for average persons, it does not work too well for persons who have gained a decent amount of muscle.

As you gain muscle, your waist to hip ratio is a much better measure to see if you are over weight or not.

Wow what a name. Absolutely love the pic. I agree BMI is not good for bodybuilders as muscle weighs more than fat and so when they stand on scales they seem to weigh alot but its all muscle! For this boy BMI is close to accurate.

Also I just read the other posts about exercising on empty stomach etc. In all honestly I would ignore alot of things people say to you and even if things are on the internet it doesn't mean its true. Personally just stick to the maths. When I first went gym people always gave me such conflicting advice. I did end up trying a bit of everything until I settled into my own routine. Common misunderstandings people have is that you shouldn't eat, actually you should eat but not a proper full meal.

Another thing people get wrong is trying to push themselves. If you want to loose fat then you need to do what is known as aerobic exercise. So you don't run as fast as you can, instead have a steady pace so blood can comfortably be brought from fatty tissues.

Another thing is knowing how far you can push yourself without getting injured. By far the biggest mistake I have made is to push myself beyond my limits. If your body is feeling exhausted then give yourself a day off to relax otherwise your damaging it. I was told by my friend that I should exercise until I can no longer do anything else....I did this....I left the gym barely able to walk to the door and for a whole week afterwards my abs hurt so much that I couldn't sleep, couldn't open a jar etc. It was really embarassing and it wasn't worth it as I had to take a week off when I could have got more done in smaller chunks rather than an all or nothing binge. Since that day I only do to a certain level and build things up slowly....

Another of my friends pulled their triceps when doing push ups with weights on their back....luckily I have not had such a bad injury but my tip is to listen to your body....something that I read that even the AC Milan lab are now trying to do with all the football players.

Also if you do go gym try to vary your equipment. Running on a treadmill is really bad for knees as the pressure point is constant, whereas outside its healthier as it changes and is more natural...so definately go outside over gym as alot of the equipment is artifical. The thing I wish I was told when I was starting out was that how you should educate yourself on the limitations of whatever equipment you choose to train on. eg treadmill bad for knees, rowing bad for back, chest press bad for back etc.

There is nothing you can do about it but try to minimise it via proper technique. Also the other thing I wish I knew about was friction, I used to do rowing every day at 30-40mph and I got very bad callous formation at the base of my fingers....I then had to stop for a a good 2 months until it healed and now I wear gloves...but if I knew I could have worn tape of gloves right from the start. There are lots of other little things I learnt through trial and error.

Your probably not going to do body building but there are things for body builders which are not worth it, eg protein shakes bad for kidney, steroids are bad too. The thing is all these extra measures do work but actually only add 10% and the 90% is from your work...So its not worth it unless your entering competitions where the 10% would make a difference but for normal people like us its not worth it. I actually tried protein shake and personally I don't think it worked other than making my urine smell weird, I would never try steroids. Anyways I think these are the main things you need to know, everything else can be worked out...also starting out is going to be tough but get into a routine, stick to it and you will be fine.