Beautiful Old Manscript Of Dasam Granth

"praise of Devi" seem to be an illogical way of seeing it. In gurmat Devi devtas dont hold any importance.

Guru Sahib has refered the term 'Devi' here to His GuruDev Mata.(Nirankar)

also, drawing of a devi on Guru Sahib's bani doesnt seems to be Gurmat in anyway.(whoever prepared this version of the bir must have not been AWARE of Tat Khalsa gurmat)Khalsa is pujari of Akaal Purk NOT idolater of devi devtas. This line from the rachna is quite clear:

ਆਦਿ ਜਾਕੈ ਆਹਮ ਹੈ ਅੰਤ ਕੋ ਨ ਪਾਰਾਵਾਰ ਸ਼ਰਨ ਉਬਾਰਨ ਕਰਨ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲ ਹੈ ॥

Such imperfect entities are not even worth having faith in. Those who think it refers to a devi are grossly misguided.

also there should be no bindi in this word>>> ਸ਼ਰਨ

Though it is to be pronounced as Sharan.

Chandi is that force of Akal Purakh which, from the beginning of time, has been active in destroying impious forces. This force is also the sword, and also the blade. It is one such sword, the rein of which is diverse and widespread even in far off lands, in all four corners; therefore, it is inappropriate to group and limit this maternal-force to India and its religions. It is Jogmaya (the force with which the universe is created), Saraswati (the Devi of knowledge) and mighty Bhawani. It has brought about the existence of Brahma, Vishnu, and Mahesh, as per the following:

ਤੁਹੀ ਖੜਗਧਾਰਾ ਤੁਹੀ ਬਾਢਵਾਰੀ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਤੀਰ ਤਰਵਾਰ ਕਾਤੀ ਕਟਾਰੀ ॥ ਹਲਬੀ ਜੁਨਬੀ ਮਗਰਬੀ ਤੁਹੀ ਹੈ ॥ ਨਿਹਾਰੌ ਜਹਾ ਆਪੁ ਠਾਢੀ ਵਹੀ ਹੈ ॥੧॥

ਤੁਹੀ ਜੋਗ ਮਾਯਾ ਤੁਸੀ ਬਾਕਬਾਨੀ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਆਪੁ ਰੂਪਾ ਤੁਹੀ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਬਿਸਨ ਤੂ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਤੂ ਰੁਦ੍ਰ ਰਾਜੈ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਬਿਸ੍ਵ ਮਾਤਾ ਸਦਾ ਜੈ ਬਿਰਾਜੈ ॥੨॥

ਤੁਹੀ ਦੇਵ ਤੂ ਦੈਤ ਤੈ ਜਛੁ ਉਪਾਏ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਤੁਰਕ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਜਗਤ ਮੈ ਬਨਾਏ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਪੰਥ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਅਵਤਰੀ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਮਾਹੀ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਬਕ੍ਰਤ ਤੇ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਬਾਦੋ ਬਕਾਹੀ ॥੩॥

ਅਰਥ (ਗਿਆਨੀ ਨਰੈਣ ਸਿੰਘ) – ਹੇ ਭਗੌਤੀ ! ਤੂਹੀ ਸਿਧੀ ਤਲਵਾਰ ਦੀ ਧਾਰ ਏਂ ਅਤੇ ਤੂਹੀ ਟੇਢੀ ਤਲਵਾਰ ਏਂ । ਤੂਹੀ ਤੀਰ, ਤਲਵਾਰ ਕਾਤੀ ਅਤੇ ਕਟਾਰ ਏਂ । ਤੂਹੀ ਸ਼ਾਮ ਦੇਸ਼ ਦੇ ਸ਼ਹਿਰ ਹਲੱਬ ਦੀ ਬਣੀ ਹੱਲਬੀ ਤਲਵਾਰ ਏਂ ਅਤੇ ਪੱਛਮੀ ਦੇਸ਼ਾਂ ਦੀ ਤਲਵਾਰ ਏਂ । ਜਿਧਰ ਵੀ ਮੈਂ ਵੇਖਦਾ ਹਾਂ ਉਥੇ ਤੈਨੂੰ ਬਿਰਾਜਮਾਨ ਪਾਉਂਦਾ ਹਾਂ ॥੧॥

ਹੇ ਭਗੌਤੀ! ਤੂਹੀ ਜੋਗ ਮਾਇਆ, ਸਰਸਵਤੀ, ਵਿਕਰਾਲ ਰੂਪ ਅਤੇ ਭਵਾਨੀ ਏਂ । ਤੂਹੀ ਵਿਸ਼ਨੂੰ, ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਅਤੇ ਵਿਸ਼ਵਮਾਤਾ ਦੇ ਰੂਪ ਵਿਚ ਸਦਾ ਬਿਰਾਜਮਾਨ ਏਂ ॥੨॥

ਤੂਹੀ ਦੇਵ, ਦਾਨਵ, ਰਾਕਸ਼, ਤੁਰਕ ਤੇ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਇਸ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਵਿਚ ਪੈਦਾ ਕੀਤੇ ਹਨ । ਤੂਹੀ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਵਿਚ ਵੱਖ ਵੱਖ ਮਾਰਗਾਂ ਦੇ ਰੂਪ ਵਿਚ ਆਈ ਏਂ ਅਤੇ ਤੂੰਹੀ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਚਰਚਾ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲੇ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਪੈਦਾ ਕੀਤਾ ॥੩॥

In above verses, we can see that this force manifests itself as the source of creation of not only numerous Devis but also the three main Devtas. In no way it is a Devi of Hindu faith, for it is the creator of this entire universe and also of people of different faiths and beliefs. Not only that, the spread of different faiths and religions is its own expansion. All those who live in remembrance of Akal Purakh are created by this very force..

I suggest the post on Chandi Charitar here to understand the use of the word 'devi', 'chandi', 'bhagauti' etc. in Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji..

Although Bhai Jvala Singh Ji is doing brilliant work, i think he needs to be a little bit more clear in his posts because these concepts can be misunderstood rather easily if ambiguity is not completely removed..

"praise of Devi" seem to be an illogical way of seeing it. In gurmat Devi devtas dont hold any importance.

I just used the terms Maharaj used, pleasr read the bani, it says devi ju ki ustat. Is Maharaj wrong for using the term devi? Praise of Devi, which is the title of the post is also the title of the bani.

Bhai Sahib PJS

You say "In no way it is a Devi of Hindu faith", if this is the case then why throughout Sri Dasam Granth is this creative force called Chandi, Durga, Bhawani, Jagdhumbeh, Jagmata etc the exact same names which are used to relate to the "Hindu" Goddess? Also why is it that the same stories are used, and descriptions of Chandi riding a tiger, holding weapons, and slaying demons such as Mahikhasur and Rakatbeej, the same demons which the "Hindu" Goddess slays in puranic myths?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Veerjeo,

We have got Ram, Allah, Hari, Murari, etc. used for the same one God, but obviously Hindus and Muslims use it in different contexts. Muslims believe He is sitting up in the skies, while Hindus use of the word 'Murari' refers to Krishna's Avtar form being treated as God. Sikhs borrowed the names to refer to that One Omnipresent God instead. Its the same with Chandi and Bhagauti too.

In ‘Devi Bhagvat Puran’ too, the Devi is the force of creation – ‘Namō Devai Parkaritai’ (ਨਮੋ ਦੇਵਯੈ ਪ੍ਰਕ੍ਰਿਤਯੈ). In reality, the Devi of Hindu Shaastras is both the force of ‘Sankhai Shaastar’ as well as the force of God. It is present as the force of Maya of God, above the forms of wife of Devtas and those of numerous Devis. This quote from ‘Devi Bhagvat Puran’ verifies the above stated fact - “Brahma asked: ‘Are you male or female?’ To this, Devi replied: ‘The One and Only truth is Brahm, there is no difference between us. Whatever He is, I am that. Due to ignorance, people differentiate between me and Him. Only that Brahm is supreme, He is indestructible and has been present even before the beginning of time (Snatan). During the process of creation of this universe, it takes up countless different forms and that is when we both appear different, like a reflection in the mirror. At the end of the universe, I cease to exist as a male or female.... “. This Devi, the force of Maya, is definitely different from the Devi that is worshipped as the wife of Devtas. In some areas of the Tantric faith, it appears to have superiority over the male or Shiva. According to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj however, this force performs its actions as per the Hukam of Akal Purakh Waheguru:

ਹਾਠਾ ਦੋਵੈ ਕੀਤੀਓ ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ ਵਰਤਾਈਆ ॥

ਸਿਵ ਅਗੈ ਸਕਤੀ ਹਾਰਿਆ ਏਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਭਾਈਆ ॥

(Ang 1096, SGGS Ji)

Not only this force is the destroyer of demons like ‘Sumbh-Nisumbh’, ‘Chand-Mund’, ‘Rakhatbeej’, etc.; it also is the source of the enunciation of all four Vedas. This primal force is also the creator of all struggles and conflicts in this world. It manifests as ‘Narsingh’ and destroys the demon ‘Harnakash’. This force also takes on the form of brave men and courageous women. It is creator of this universe and also its destroyer. It takes on the form of Ram in order to destroy ‘Ravana’ and it also takes on the Avatar of Krishna for the destruction of demon ‘Kans’. In these situations, it does not remain the primal force of Shaakats and Tantriks; instead it emerges as the constructive force of Akal Purakh Waheguru Ji, the mention of which appears in ‘Anand Sahib’ Bani of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj:

ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ ਆਪਿ ਉਪਾਇ ਕੈ ਕਰਤਾ ਆਪੇ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਵਰਤਾਏ ॥

And btw, what i have quoted in the above post arent my words, they are direct translation of Dr. Harbhajan Singh's Book.. thought i clear that.