Beautiful Old Manscript Of Dasam Granth

"praise of Devi" seem to be an illogical way of seeing it. In gurmat Devi devtas dont hold any importance.

I just used the terms Maharaj used, pleasr read the bani, it says devi ju ki ustat. Is Maharaj wrong for using the term devi? Praise of Devi, which is the title of the post is also the title of the bani.

Veer jee, In Sri Dasam Granth Sahib, stories are REWRITTEN which means some parts of the story are just translated, some parts edited and some new parts added. This praise of devi is just the translation and these are not the views of Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Jee.

Bhai Sahib PJS

You say "In no way it is a Devi of Hindu faith", if this is the case then why throughout Sri Dasam Granth is this creative force called Chandi, Durga, Bhawani, Jagdhumbeh, Jagmata etc the exact same names which are used to relate to the "Hindu" Goddess? Also why is it that the same stories are used, and descriptions of Chandi riding a tiger, holding weapons, and slaying demons such as Mahikhasur and Rakatbeej, the same demons which the "Hindu" Goddess slays in puranic myths?

Are you saying what the Hindus say, that the Ram in Aad Guru Darbar is the Ram Chander of the Hindus? These names you have mentioned are Kirtanames only.

The devi of sikh Faith is Bhagauti which means sword or KHANDAAA. This khanda referes to NAAM. In Sri Asaa ki vaar, there is a pankiti

aapenai aap sajiyo aapenai rachiyo nauu, duyee kudrat sajeyayee......... which means that before creating Kudrat(world), Vaheguru created NAAM KHANDA which is also called Bhagauti and it is this naam which is the DRIVING FORCE.

In sri Sukhmani Sahib, we read

naam ke dharee khand brahamand.........

This driving force (naam khanda) cannot be called shakti of Maya as maya is INFERIOR TO naam. Maya shakti is different from bhagauti (naam khanda).

does the passage eulogise Khanda then?

No, this passage does not eulogize naam khanda. It is a translation from a hindu purana according to which, the devi is the driving force of the world. In Krishan Avataar there are 3 kinds of passages :

1. Translations

2. Modifications (Editing)

3. New passages ( for example, the kharag singh prasang is a new creation and is not found in hindu puranas).

This passage of devi ustatt is a translation and does not represent Sikh Philosophy.

Basically, in Sri Dasam Granth stories ( Chaubis Avatar stories, charitropakhyan stories, chandi charitar stories) are REWRITTEN to impart moral, martial and bir rass lessons to Sikhs. Whenever an existing story is rewritten, some parts are translated, some parts modified and some new text is added.

does the passage eulogise Khanda then?

No, this passage does not eulogize naam khanda. It is a translation from a hindu purana according to which, the devi is the driving force of the world. In Krishan Avataar there are 3 kinds of passages :

1. Translations

2. Modifications (Editing)

3. New passages ( for example, the kharag singh prasang is a new creation and is not found in hindu puranas).

This passage of devi ustatt is a translation and does not represent Sikh Philosophy.

Basically, in Sri Dasam Granth stories ( Chaubis Avatar stories, charitropakhyan stories, chandi charitar stories) are REWRITTEN to impart moral, martial and bir rass lessons to Sikhs. Whenever an existing story is rewritten, some parts are translated, some parts modified and some new text is added.

Can you tell me when then in Krishnavatar, in the Kharag Singh section, which Maharaj himself created, is there updesh about doing simran on Chandi so She will help to destroy the enemies.

I am referring to when Krishna speaks to his army saying:

ਤਾ ਤੇ ਤੁਮਹੂੰ ਚੰਡ ਕੀ ਸੇਵ ਕਰਹੁ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਜੀਤਨ ਕੋ ਬਰੁ ਦੇਇਗੀ ਅਰਿ ਤਬ ਲੀਜਹੁ ਘਾਇ ॥੧੩੨੫॥

Therefore you should also serve Chandi single-mindedly, which she will bestow the boon of victory and then you will be able to kill the enemy.1325.

ਜਾਗਤ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਜਗ ਜਲ ਥਲ ਰਹੀ ਸਮਾਇ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਬਿਸ਼ਨ ਹਰਿ ਰੂਪ ਮੈ ਤ੍ਰਿਗੁਨਿ ਰਹੀ ਠਹਰਾਇ ॥੧੩੨੬॥

He, whose gleaming light pervades in water, on plain and the whole world, the same is preset in Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva in the form of three modes.1326.

ਸਵੈਯਾ ॥

SWAYYA

ਜਾ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਬਰਤੈ ਜਗ ਮੈ ਅਰੁ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਸਭ ਰੂਪਨ ਮੈ ॥ ਅਰੁ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਬਿਮਲਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਕਮਲਾਪਤਿ ਕੇ ਕਮਲਾ ਤਨ ਮੈ ॥

He, whose power is present in the whole world and in all forms, whose power is present in Parvati, Vishnu and Lakshsmi,

ਪੁਨਿ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਗਿਰ ਰੂਖਨ ਮੈ ਸਸਿ ਪੂਖਨ ਮੈ ਮਘਵਾ ਘਨ ਮੈ ॥ ਤੁਮਹੂੰ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਨੀ ਭਵਾਨੀ ਕਲਾ ਜਗ ਮਾਨੀ ਕੋ ਧਯਾਨ ਕਰੋ ਮਨ ਮੈ ॥੧੩੨੭॥

And whose power is present in the mountain, tree, sun, moon, Indra and clouds also; you have not adored that Bhavani, therefore now meditate on her.1327.

In traditional Sikh Schools of thought this is considered Updesh for the Sikh Soormas. Please read Khalsa Dharam Shaastar for more information about it. It is also taught when learning about Dasam Sri Guru Granth Granth Sahib by Guru ordained Sampradyas, not modern day missionary schools which are influenced by Western concepts of God [who cannot understand the concept of Nirgun and Sargun or Shakta and Shakti].

No where does any Sikh Sampradya translate Khanda as Naam, look at Pandit Narayan Singh Ji's tika of Dasam Guru Granth Sahib, Khanda in Chandi Di vaar, which you quoted, is translated as Maya.

Why in Sarbloh does it say, Sri Maya Ji Sahai, or Sri Maya Ji Ki Ustat. Do you not believe in Sri Sarbloh Granth Sahib ?

If you do not have faith in Gurbani then why bother with Sikhi.

wow

never came across these things before

and

Sri maya ji sahaye????

what abt countless lines about maya in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji where maya is called as naagni who eats the world without teeth.

eh maya jit har visrey moh upjey bhao dooja laya

so confused

but that picture is just wrong

it is just like what rss doing these days by putting devi 's picture in calaneders and guru sahib around devi. If rss would have done it then people here would be shouting but it is surprise that some here are just liking it a lot just because it is drawn in dasam granth.

so confused

it is just like what rss doing these days by putting devi 's picture in calaneders and guru sahib around devi. If rss would have done it then people here would be shouting but it is surprise that some here are just liking it a lot just because it is drawn in dasam granth.

typical right? anything which some of you don't understand or which isnt inline with your views is RSS? nothing wrong with it.

I guess the countless Fresco's in old gurdwareh are wrong as they have paintings of Vishnu and chandi etc?

According to you then I bet this attachment is wrong ? I bet a RSS agent went back 100's of years to paint that? ignorant guy.

ਸੁੰਭ ਬਲੁ ਧਾਰ ਸੰਘਾਰ ਕਰਵਾਰ ਕਰਿ ਸਕਲ ਖਲੁ ਅਸੁਰ ਦਲੁ ਜੈਤ ਜੈ ਚੰਡਿਕਾ ॥੨੩੦॥

guru+nanak.jpg

Sangat ji, it is my personal view that this Bani must be taken in context. the essence of Sri Dasam Guru ka Granth is to instil Bir-Rass energy into the khalsa. this is done through combat related inspirational stories and poems to instil a mindset that one must emulate these heroes on the battlefield in abilty, but also keep their saintly reserve and always remember Waheguru.

think of it this way, before Emperor Alexander of Macedonia sent his men into battle, he would regale them with stories from Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, not because he truly believed in the divinity of the great warrior Achilles, or that he truly believed Aphrodite was enticing man into conflict, but to instil an example of a hero and a warrior energy into his men.

before Mata Gujri gave her grandsons to be executed by the emperor of india, she told them inspirational stories of their Father Guru Gobind Singh, Grandfather Guru Tegh Bahadur and Great Grandfather Guru Arjun Dev. these instilled a feeling in them that they shpuld not surrender to the demands of the emperor and inspired them with the courage to give their lives, still singing the praises of the One True Nameless Eternal and Formless Lord Waheguru.

Bhul Chuk Marf

so confused

typical right? anything which some of you don't understand or which isnt inline with your views is RSS? nothing wrong with it.

I guess the countless Fresco's in old gurdwareh are wrong as they have paintings of Vishnu and chandi etc?

According to you then I bet this attachment is wrong ? I bet a RSS agent went back 100's of years to paint that? ignorant guy.

ਸੁੰਭ ਬਲੁ ਧਾਰ ਸੰਘਾਰ ਕਰਵਾਰ ਕਰਿ ਸਕਲ ਖਲੁ ਅਸੁਰ ਦਲੁ ਜੈਤ ਜੈ ਚੰਡਿਕਾ ॥੨੩੦॥

सु्मभ बलु धार संघार करवार करि सकल खलु असुर दलु जैत जै चंडिका ॥२३०॥

guru+nanak.jpg

I did not say that RSS did it. I am saying it is just like RSS do things these days and when RSS do these things our reaction is different but why not now?

i hope you ll like this too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Icqcdto0M