Beautiful Old Manscript Of Dasam Granth

Bhagauti here literally means Siri Sahib (sword) but in actuality it means the Khanda or Kirpan of Naam. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has done this meaning of the word Khanda - the Khanda of Naam. First Vaheguru jee established Naam and through Naam the whole creation came into being. Khanda is another name for Naam and even today Singhs refer to Naam Abhyaas as "Khanda Khadkauna".

naam is Akal purakh himself. Whereas shakti is his creation.

Every living being has soul that is part of param atma.So God is present in all of his creation.

But we get deluded by maya and forget him. We can become one with him by overcoming maya.

ਕਹੂੰ ਰਾਜਸੰ ਤਾਮਸੰ ਸਾਤਕੇਯੰ ॥ ਕਹੂੰ ਨਾਰ ਕੇ ਰੂਪ ਧਾਰੇ ਨਰੇਯੰ॥

कहूं राजसं तामसं सातकेयं ॥ कहूं नार के रूप धारे नरेयं॥

Somewhere He bears the quality of rajas (activity), somewhere tamas (morbidity) and somewhere sattva (rhythm). Somewhere He takes the form of a woman and somewhere man.

Dasam Granth sahib

ਪਉੜੀ ॥ ਤੁਧੁ ਜਗ ਮਹਿ ਖੇਲੁ ਰਚਾਇਆ ਵਿਚਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਪਾਈਆ ॥

ਏਕੁ ਮੰਦਰੁ ਪੰਚ ਚੋਰ ਹਹਿ ਨਿਤ ਕਰਹਿ ਬੁਰਿਆਈਆ ॥

ਦਸ ਨਾਰੀ ਇਕੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਕਰਿ ਦਸੇ ਸਾਦਿ ਲਭਾਈਆ ॥

ਏਨਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹਣੀ ਮੋਹੀਆ ਨਿਤ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਭਰਮਾਈਆ ॥

ਹਾਠਾ ਦੋਵੈ ਕੀਤੀਓ ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ ਵਰਤਾਈਆ ॥

ਸਿਵ ਅਗੈ ਸਕਤੀ ਹਾਰਿਆ ਏਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਭਾਈਆ ॥

ਇਕਿ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਹੀ ਤੁਧੁ ਰਖਿਆ ਜੋ ਸਤਸੰਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਈਆ ॥

ਜਲ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਬਿੰਬੁ ਉਠਾਲਿਓ ਜਲ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਈਆ ॥੬॥

Paurree. You have staged this play in the world,

and infused egotism into all beings.

In the one temple of the body are the five thieves, who continually misbehave.

The ten brides, the sensory organs were created, and the one husband, the Self;

the ten are engrossed in worldly pleasures.

This Maya fascinates and entices them; consequently, they wander continually in doubt.

This is Your own sport: You create both sides, the play of Siva-Sakti from within.

You sport watching Spirit loses out to matter or Maya.

But You from within leads one to merger with the Truth and saves from Maya;

like the bubble emanates from the water, and once again merges into the water ||6||

(sggs 1096).

This is a separate subject and in case you want to discuuss it you should open new thread.

This thread is about the term Devi and what does it mean in Dasam Granth sahib.

Sikh relaity wrote

Can you tell me when then in Krishnavatar, in the Kharag Singh section, which Maharaj himself created, is there updesh about doing simran on Chandi so She will help to destroy the enemies.

I am referring to when Krishna speaks to his army saying:

ਤਾ ਤੇ ਤੁਮਹੂੰ ਚੰਡ ਕੀ ਸੇਵ ਕਰਹੁ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਜੀਤਨ ਕੋ ਬਰੁ ਦੇਇਗੀ ਅਰਿ ਤਬ ਲੀਜਹੁ ਘਾਇ ॥੧੩੨੫॥

Therefore you should also serve Chandi single-mindedly, which she will bestow the boon of victory and then you will be able to kill the enemy.1325.

ਜਾਗਤ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਜਗ ਜਲ ਥਲ ਰਹੀ ਸਮਾਇ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਬਿਸ਼ਨ ਹਰਿ ਰੂਪ ਮੈ ਤ੍ਰਿਗੁਨਿ ਰਹੀ ਠਹਰਾਇ ॥੧੩੨੬॥

He, whose gleaming light pervades in water, on plain and the whole world, the same is preset in Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva in the form of three modes.1326.

ਸਵੈਯਾ ॥

SWAYYA

ਜਾ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਬਰਤੈ ਜਗ ਮੈ ਅਰੁ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਸਭ ਰੂਪਨ ਮੈ ॥ ਅਰੁ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਬਿਮਲਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਕਮਲਾਪਤਿ ਕੇ ਕਮਲਾ ਤਨ ਮੈ ॥

He, whose power is present in the whole world and in all forms, whose power is present in Parvati, Vishnu and Lakshsmi,

ਪੁਨਿ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਗਿਰ ਰੂਖਨ ਮੈ ਸਸਿ ਪੂਖਨ ਮੈ ਮਘਵਾ ਘਨ ਮੈ ॥ ਤੁਮਹੂੰ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਨੀ ਭਵਾਨੀ ਕਲਾ ਜਗ ਮਾਨੀ ਕੋ ਧਯਾਨ ਕਰੋ ਮਨ ਮੈ ॥੧੩੨੭॥

And whose power is present in the mountain, tree, sun, moon, Indra and clouds also; you have not adored that Bhavani, therefore now meditate on her.1327.

I had missed the above. The above is from Yudh parbandh section of krishna avtar from Dasam Granth.

It is a war between shakti singh and krishna. krishna is not able to defeat shakti singh.

Here balaram asks krishna that this fighter has fought very heroically and krishna tells Balaram that his name is Shakti singh.Why he will not fight when his name is like that.

This is the dialogue between two

ਬਹੁਤੁ ਲਰਯੋ ਅਰ ਬੀਰ ਰਨਿ ਕਹਯੋ ਸਯਾਮ ਸੋ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਕਿਉ ਨ ਲਰੈ ਕਹਯੋ ਕ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਨ ਜੂ ਸਕਤਿ ਸਿੰਘ ਜਿਹ ਨਾਮ ॥੧੩੨੩॥

बहुतु लरयो अर बीर रनि कहयो सयाम सो राम ॥ किउ न लरै कहयो क्रिशन जू सकति सिंघ जिह नाम ॥१३२३॥

Balram said to Krishna, "This warrior is fighting for a very long time;" then Krishna said, "Why should he not fight, because his name is Shakti Singh?"1323.

Then krishna addresses his army.

चौपई ॥

CHAUPAI

ਤਬ ਹਰਿ ਜੂ ਸਭ ਸੋ ਇਮ ਕਹਯੋ ॥ ਸਕਤਿ ਸਿੰਘ ਬਧ ਹਮ ਤੇ ਰਹਯੋ ॥ ਇਨ ਅਤਿ ਹਿਤ ਸੋ ਚੰਡ ਮਨਾਈ ॥ ਤਾ ਤੇ ਹਮਰੀ ਸੈਨ ਖਪਾਈ ॥੧੩੨੪॥

तब हरि जू सभ सो इम कहयो ॥ सकति सिंघ बध हम ते रहयो ॥ इन अति हित सो चंड मनाई ॥ ता ते हमरी सैन खपाई ॥१३२४॥

Then Krishna said to all, "We shall not be able to kill Shakti Singh, because he has performed austerities for a boon from Chandi with extreme devotion, therefore he has destroyed all our army.1324.

ਦੋਹਰਾ ॥

दोहरा ॥

DOHRA

ਤਾ ਤੇ ਤੁਮਹੂੰ ਚੰਡ ਕੀ ਸੇਵ ਕਰਹੁ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਜੀਤਨ ਕੋ ਬਰੁ ਦੇਇਗੀ ਅਰਿ ਤਬ ਲੀਜਹੁ ਘਾਇ ॥੧੩੨੫॥

ता ते तुमहूं चंड की सेव करहु चितु लाइ ॥ जीतन को बरु देइगी अरि तब लीजहु घाइ ॥१३२५॥

Therefore you should also serve Chandi single-mindedly, which she will bestow the boon of victory and then you will be able to kill the enemy.1325.

ਜਾਗਤ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਜਗ ਜਲ ਥਲ ਰਹੀ ਸਮਾਇ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਬਿਸ਼ਨ ਹਰਿ ਰੂਪ ਮੈ ਤ੍ਰਿਗੁਨਿ ਰਹੀ ਠਹਰਾਇ ॥੧੩੨੬॥

जागत जा की जोति जग जल थल रही समाइ ॥ ब्रहम बिशन हरि रूप मै त्रिगुनि रही ठहराइ ॥१३२६॥

He, whose gleaming light pervades in water, on plain and the whole world, the same is preset in Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva in the form of three modes.1326.

Krishna avtar, dasam granth

Please note the last line which makes it clear what chandi, krishna is referring to. It is akal purakh and not any deity.This is further clear in

ਸਵੈਯਾ ॥

सवैया ॥

SWAYYA

ਜਾ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਬਰਤੈ ਜਗ ਮੈ ਅਰੁ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਸਭ ਰੂਪਨ ਮੈ ॥ ਅਰੁ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਬਿਮਲਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਕਮਲਾਪਤਿ ਕੇ ਕਮਲਾ ਤਨ ਮੈ ॥

जा की कला बरतै जग मै अरु जा की कला सभ रूपन मै ॥ अरु जा की कला बिमला हरि के कमलापति के कमला तन मै ॥

He, whose power is present in the whole world and in all forms, whose power is present in Parvati, Vishnu and Lakshsmi,

ਪੁਨਿ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਗਿਰ ਰੂਖਨ ਮੈ ਸਸਿ ਪੂਖਨ ਮੈ ਮਘਵਾ ਘਨ ਮੈ ॥ ਤੁਮਹੂੰ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਨੀ ਭਵਾਨੀ ਕਲਾ ਜਗ ਮਾਨੀ ਕੋ ਧਯਾਨ ਕਰੋ ਮਨ ਮੈ ॥੧੩੨੭॥

पुनि जा की कला गिर रूखन मै ससि पूखन मै मघवा घन मै ॥ तुमहूं नही जानी भवानी कला जग मानी को धयान करो मन मै ॥१३२७॥

And whose power is present in the mountain, tree, sun, moon, Indra and clouds also; you have not adored that Bhavani, therefore now meditate on her.1327.

Krishna avtar, dasam granth

Here chandi is reference to akal purakh which guru sahib is making krishna to talk about. That is why For nihungs chandi is sri sahib a symbol of god and not any idol. This is confirmed by Guru sahib in Chandi di vaar.

Here is Chandi designated as sri sahib in Chandi di vaar by Gureu sahib

ਧੂਹਿ ਲਈ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਣੀ ਦੁਰਗਾ ਮਿਆਨ ਤੇ ॥

धूहि लई क्रिपाणी दुरगा मिआन ते ॥

Durga pulled her sword from the scabbard.

ਚੰਡੀ ਰਾਕਸਿ ਖਾਣੀ ਵਾਹੀ ਦੈਤ ਨੂੰ ॥

चंडी राकसि खाणी वाही दैत नूं ॥

She struck the demon with that Chandi, the devourer of demons (that is the sword).

ਕੋਪਰ ਚੂਰਿ ਚਵਾਣੀ ਲੱਥੀ ਕਰਗ ਲੈ ॥

कोपर चूरि चवाणी ल्थी करग लै ॥

It broke the skull and face into pieces and pierced through the skeleton.

Chandi di vaar

Let us not commit a sin of misinterpreting Gurbani of tenth master. Gurbani interpretation should be above any agendas.

I think my 2 lines have served the porpose , when I read further discussion , I request all to read some comments & history

written on the same blog and then post comments , it makes the discussion more lively and meaningful

I think my 2 lines have served the porpose , when I read further discussion , I request all to read some comments & history

written on the same blog and then post comments , it makes the discussion more lively and meaningful

Jaswinder Singh your 2 lines lead the reader to a question, which I, myself have asked the originial poster to answer aswell.

GPS ji, has actually given us a lengthly explanation on what devi means in Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji and if it's refering to Akal Purakh or Sri Sahib.

And Singh, what is your opinion on the picture where the devi is in the center?

Did any of you actually follow Jvala Singh's advice and listen to Giani Inderjit Singh's katha on Bhagauti Astotar? We wouldn't be having this discussion if everyone here had listened to it and understood the relationship between Akal Purakh's Shakti and how both Durga and the Khanda are different roops of this Shakti.

K.

As students of Gurbani, we must learn to question Gurbani in order to fully understand it and not believe in a dogmatic way. Questioning the mentions of spirits commonly associated with Bhraminical ("hindu") beliefs is a natural response from a confused student. Please understand that the description of the many spirits and souls Rama, Krishna, Chandi, Durga etc is unique and true and from the mind of Guru Sahib. we may not all understand it at first but eventually we will understand that such souls are no higher or lower than the souls which occupy our bodies at this moment. These ancient heroes and kings are now anthropomorphised (made into the characters which represent) into the many different forces which keep our universe in balance according to the will of Waheguru. Waheguru is in everything and is everything, including the forces of creation and destruction within the universe. these forces are commonly anthropomorphised so that we can relate to them better.

but make this one clear distinction sangat ji:

in Bhraminism (hinduism) it is stated that there is 1 bhrama, 1 vishnu, 1 krishna ect these are unique and independent Gods in their own right with some being higher and lower in importance.

In Sikhi, it is stated that there are millions upon millions of bhramas, vishnus, krishnas, as they are all part of the universe and therefore an expression of Waheguru's energy, they are part of the one-ness which is Waheguru and in no way separate entities and are all equal in the eyes of the Divine lord.

this is found not only in Bhraminical beliefs but if we look at the Asatru faith, Thor is the representation of the force of weather and lightening as was Zeus in ancient Greece. The 5 companions lust anger greed attachment and ego have been anthropomorphised as well by other people, Aphrodite is the representation of Kam (lust) whereas the spirit Ares is the force behind anger and to some extent Bhir Rass.

we are all one but yet through ignorance we act as though we are separate.

we are all representations of Waheguru's energy, he is the Eternal and Primal soul (Atma) and our cause here on earth is to reunite our Atmas, with Bhramatma, the eternal soul the energy of the entire universe, Waheguru

Bhul Chuk Marf

Did any of you actually follow Jvala Singh's advice and listen to Giani Inderjit Singh's katha on Bhagauti Astotar? We wouldn't be having this discussion if everyone here had listened to it and understood the relationship between Akal Purakh's Shakti and how both Durga and the Khanda are different roops of this Shakti.

K.

Where can we find this katha.