Beautiful Old Manscript Of Dasam Granth

The original poster had given the below mentioned passage from chandi charitra. He calls it devi ji ki ustat.

That is sheer ignorance. He needs to read it carefully and not pick at random some verses.

Below is given those verses.It is Eulogy of God and not any devi of Hinduism or Durga.

ਦੋਹਰਾ ॥

दोहरा ॥

DOHRA

ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਸਿੰਧ ਤੁਮਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਜੋ ਕਛੁ ਮੋ ਪਰਿ ਹੋਇ ॥

क्रिपा सिंध तुमरी क्रिपा जो कछु मो परि होइ ॥

O Ocean of Mercy, if Thy Grace is bestowed upon me:

ਰਚੋ ਚੰਡਿਕਾ ਕੀ ਕਥਾ ਬਾਣੀ ਸੁਭ ਸਭ ਹੋਇ ॥੨॥

रचो चंडिका की कथा बाणी सुभ सभ होइ ॥२॥

I may compose the story of Chandika and my poetry be all good.2.

ਜੋਤ ਜਗਮਗੈ ਜਗਤਿ ਮੈ ਚੰਡ ਚਮੁੰਡ ਪ੍ਰਚੰਡ ॥

जोत जगमगै जगति मै चंड चमुंड प्रचंड ॥

Thy light is shining in the world, O Powerful Chand-Chamunda!

ਭੁਜ ਦੰਡਨ ਦੰਡਨਿ ਅਸੁਰ ਮੰਡਨ ਭੁਇ ਨਵ ਖੰਡ ॥੩॥

भुज दंडन दंडनि असुर मंडन भुइ नव खंड ॥३॥

Thou art the Punisher of the demons with Thy strong arms and art the Creator of the nine regions.3.

ਸ੍ਵੈਯਾ ॥

स्वैया ॥

SWAYYA

ਤਾਰਨ ਲੋਕ ਉਧਾਰਨ ਭੂਮਹਿ ਦੈਤ ਸੰਘਾਰਨ ਚੰਡਿ ਤੁਹੀ ਹੈ ॥

तारन लोक उधारन भूमहि दैत संघारन चंडि तुही है ॥

It is you who is creator of chandi, who ferries across the people; Thou art the redeemer of the earth and destroyer of the demons.

ਕਾਰਨ ਈਸ ਕਲਾ ਕਮਲਾ ਹਰਿ ਅਦ੍ਰਸੁਤਾ ਜਹ ਦੇਖੇ ਉਹੀ ਹੈ ॥

कारन ईस कला कमला हरि अद्रसुता जह देखे उही है ॥

Thou art the cause of the Shakti of Shiva, Lakshmi of Vishnu and Parvati, the daughter of Himavan, wherever we see, Thou art there.

ਤਾਮਸਤਾ ਮਮਤਾ ਨਮਤਾ ਕਵਿਤਾ ਕਵਿ ਕੇ ਮਨ ਮਧਿ ਗੁਹੀ ਹੈ ॥

तामसता ममता नमता कविता कवि के मन मधि गुही है ॥

Thou art Tams, the quality of morbidity, mineness and modesty; Thou art poetry, latent in the mind of the poet.

ਕੀਨੋ ਹੈ ਕੰਚਨ ਲੋਹ ਜਗਤ੍ਰ ਮੈ ਪਾਰਸ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਜਾਇ ਛੁਹੀ ਹੈ ॥੪॥

कीनो है कंचन लोह जगत्र मै पारस मूरति जाइ छुही है ॥४॥

Thou art the philosopher`s stone in the world, which transforms the iron into gold that it touches.4.

Chandi charitra ukti bilas

Let us analyse what is written in Dasam Granth sahib and not follow blindly what is written on someone's blog.

Excuse me, but I did not just put the title "Devi Ju Ki Ustat", but Maharaj himself wrote it.

http://www.sridasam....lish=t&id=89846

There is the link to the post that I put up, if you have an issue with Gurbani, talk to Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

In Gurbani we get

gurmuiK sMgI ik®sn murwry ] (98-9, mwJ, mÚ 5)

gurmukh sangee krisan muraaray.

The Lord Krishna becomes the Gurmukh's Companion.

ang 98

The above is not to be taken literally. Here krishana is a metaphor for akal purakh.

In the same way Dasam Granth is full of metaphors. Each line is full of deep meanings.

So read what is written under ab devi ji ki ustat. It is ustat of akal purakha nd not any physical devi.

There is a very long devi ji ki ustat in krishan avtar around middle.First of all physical devi has no function in story of vishnu avtars.Secondly when you read it it is amply clear that by devi there Guru ji means akal purakha nd not any eight armed hindu deity.

Guru sahib clears his beliefs elsewhere in chaubis avtar

ਚੌਪਈ ॥

चौपई ॥

CHAUPAI

ਪ੍ਰਥਮ ਕਾਲ ਸਭ ਜਗ ਕੋ ਤਾਤਾ ॥

प्रथम काल सभ जग को ताता ॥

First of all the Lord as KAL is the primal father of the whole universe;

ਤਾਤੇ ਭਥੋ ਤੇਜ ਬਿਖਯਾਤਾ ॥

ताते भथो तेज बिखयाता ॥

And from him emanated the Powerful Lustre;

ਸੋਈ ਭਵਾਨੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਹਾਈ ॥

सोई भवानी नामु कहाई ॥

The same Lord was considered as Bhavani,

ਜਿਨ ਸਿਗਰੀ ਯਹ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਉਪਾਈ ॥੨੯॥

जिन सिगरी यह स्रिसटि उपाई ॥२९॥

Who created the whole world.29.

ਚੌਪਈ ॥

चौपई ॥

CHAUPAI

ਪ੍ਰਿਥਮੈ ਓਅੰਕਾਰ ਤਿਨ ਕਹਾ ॥

प्रिथमै ओअंकार तिन कहा ॥

First of all, He uttered `Oankar`:

ਸੋ ਧੁਨ ਪੂਰ ਜਗਤ ਮੋ ਰਹਾ ॥

सो धुन पूर जगत मो रहा ॥

And the sound of Onkar` Pervanded the whole world,

ਤਾ ਤੇ ਜਗਤ ਭਯੋ ਬਿਸਥਾਰਾ ॥

ता ते जगत भयो बिसथारा ॥

There was expansion of the whole world,

ਪੁਰਖ ਪ੍ਰਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਜਬ ਦੁਹੂ ਬਿਚਾਰਾ ॥੩੦॥

पुरख प्रक्रित जब दुहू बिचारा ॥३०॥

From the union of Purusha and Prakriti.30.

Chaubis avtar, dasam granth

Here purakh is reference to akal purakh.

Messsage of Dasam Granth is strictly monotheistic.

Singh, I'm confused here and I think other members are in the same boat. When the devi is used in the Bani, are you saying it is actually refering to a Devi and we should worship it?

OR that it is refering to the shakti of Akal Purakh, by using just the devi's name?

I agree with you it is the Bani of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru GObind SIngh Sahib ji, but where people disagree with you is, when, if you say that Guru Sahib is worshipping the actually devi of Hinduism. So it's the intrepretation of the Shabad where you get people all lost and off track, like me.

If you could clear this up for us it will get this discussion moving forward. And all the post by the anti-Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji people just ignore them veera, there a waste of everyone's time.

Simply beautiful and a great inspiration! smile.gif I wish i could do such intricate work!

Singh when you look at that picture, you will see the reference to Akal Purakh as the devi, but when others who are ignorant of the knowledge will look at that and say RSS and bad mouth Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji, out of ignorance or actually start worshipping deities which Guru Sahib was completely against and go on the wrong track.

Just like saying Sri Dasam Guru Granth Sahib ji should be refrained from because the ignorant will say this person is calling Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji, Guru and start bad mouthing Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji. It would only take people further from Truth, then bring them closer.

As for Prakriti being the Shakti of Vaheguru, this is not true. Vaheguru is all alone and we don't believe in the Hindu concept of the Deity having a consort. Vaheguru has no father, mother or consort. He alone holds all power. Prakriti or Maya is this physical 5 basic elements and something that he has manipulated and created this functioning and enchanted world.

Waheguru is not alone.He is present in all of us. Shiv is spiritual energy and shkati is material enery.Both are inseparable.

ਜਹ ਦੇਖਾ ਤਹ ਰਵਿ ਰਹੇ ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤੀ ਕਾ ਮੇਲ ॥

Jah daekhaa tah ravi rahae siva saktee kaa mael

Wherever I look, I see God pervading there, in the union of Spirit and matter

(sggs 21).

ਆਪੇ ਸਕਤਾ ਆਪੇ ਸੁਰਤਾ ਸਕਤੀ ਜਗਤੁ ਪਰੋਵਹਿ ॥

Aape saktaa aape surataa saktee jagatu parovahi

You Yourself are All-powerful, the Intuitive Knower and the Sakti; on which the whole world is strung

Ang 1242 SGGS

ਸ਼ਿਵ ਸ਼ਕਤੀ ਦਾ ਖੇਲ ਮੇਲ ਪਰਕਿਰਤ ਪਸਾਰਾ ॥

Shiv shakatee daa khael mael parakirat pasaaraa

With the combination of Spirit and matter, this whole world comes into being

(Bhai Gurdaas, Vaar 2, Pauree:19).

http://gurmatbibek.c...orum/read.php?3,1845,1845#msg-1845

Analysis of words ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ as used in Gurbani

Background

In Gurbani, words ਸਿਵ and ਸਕਤਿ come in different meanings. Most of the times when ਸਿਵ and ਸਕਤਿ come together they mean either Vaheguru and Maya or Jeev-Aatma and Maya. In some instances it also means the Hindu lord Shiva and his consort Parvati. Hinduism has two main sects - Vaish and Shaiv Matt. In Shaiv Matt, Shiva is considered to be the supreme Lord and Shakti which is the form of his consort Parvati, is considered to be Maya or the visible world. The mingling of Shiva and Shakti (Parvati, Prakrati) results in the creation of this world.

In Gurbani, depending on the Pankiti, Shiva can mean Vaheguru, Jeev-Atma or the Hindu god Shiva.

Basically, depending on the situation in Gurbani, the words ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ can mean one of the following:

1) Vaheguru and Maya.

2) Jeev-Atma (an essence of Vaheguru) and Maya.

3) Hindu lord - Shiva and his consort Parvati.

Presented below are a few pankitis to understand the use of words Shiv and Shakti in Gurbani:

ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ as Vaheguru and Maya

1) ਸਿਵਿ ਸਕਤਿ ਮਿਟਾਈਆ ਚੂਕਾ ਅੰਧਿਆਰਾ ॥

(Here Shiv means Vaheguru. Shiv Vaheguru destroyed Maya (ਸਕਤਿ )from the heart of the Gurmukh and this way the darkness of ignorance got eliminated. The last Sihaari on ਸਿਵਿ gives the meaning of ਨੇ. ਸ਼ਿਵ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨੇ ਮਾਇਆ ਰੂਪੀ ਸ਼ਕਤਿ ਦਾ ਪ੍ਰਭਾਵ ਮਿਟਾ ਦਿਤਾ ਤੇ ਇਸ ਕਰਕੇ ਅੰਦਰੋਂ ਅਗਿਆਨਤਾ ਦਾ ਹਨੇਰਾ ਮਿਟ ਗਿਆ।

2) ਕਾਟਿ ਸਕਤਿ ਸਿਵ ਸਹਜੁ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸਿਓ ਏਕੈ ਏਕ ਸਮਾਨਾਨਾ ॥

Here too ਸਿਵ means Vaheguru and ਸਕਤਿ means Maya. By cutting Maya, Shiv's Sehaj Avastha appeared within and now the mind of the Gurmukh stays only in one Vaheguru.

3) ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਚੈ ਸਕਤਿ ਨਿਵਾਰੈ ਸਿਵ ਘਰਿ ਨੀਦ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥

ਸਕਤੀ ਘਰਿ ਜਗਤੁ ਸੂਤਾ ਨਾਚੈ ਟਾਪੈ ਅਵਰੋ ਗਾਵੈ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥੩॥

Here Shakti represents Maya and Shiv represents Vaheguru. By obeying the hukam of Guru Sahib, Gurmukh removes ਸਕਤਿ i.e. Maya and resides in the house of Shiva (i.e. with Vaheguru) and the sleep of ignorance is not there. On the other hand, the whole Jagat i.e. the world sleeping in the house of Shakti (i.e. under the influence of Maya), it lives in the hukam of Maya; Manmukhs don't do Bhagti.

ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ as Hindu lord Shiva and his consort Parvati

ਸਿਵਾ ਸਕਤਿ ਸੰਬਾਦੰ ॥

ਮਨ ਛੋਡਿ ਛੋਡਿ ਸਗਲ ਭੇਦੰ ॥

ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੰ ॥

ਭਜੁ ਨਾਮਾ ਤਰਸਿ ਭਵ ਸਿੰਧੰ ॥੪॥੧॥

Here ਸਿਵਾ ਸਕਤਿ means Shiva the Hindu lord and his consort Parvati. ਸੰਬਾਦੰ means dialogue. According to Hindu tradition ਸਿਵਾ ਸਕਤਿ ਸੰਬਾਦੰ means the Katha of Ramayana. It is said that Shiva narrated the story of Rama and Sita in the form of Ramayana, before Ramayana actually occurred. Here in Gurbani it means that a Gurmukh does not subscribe to means like listening to Ramayana and other such means. A Gurmukh relies only on - ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੰ ॥ - for salvation.

As a side note, during the debate between Panthik Singhs and Jeonwala, Jeonwala quoted this pankiti - ਸਿਵਾ ਸਕਤਿ ਸੰਬਾਦੰ ॥ - to prove that ਸਿਵਾ here means Parvati. He was actually trying to prove that in the Shabad - ਦੇਹ ਸਿਵਾ ਬਰ ਮੋਹਿ ਇਹੈ - The meanings of ਸਿਵਾ is Parvati. Surprisingly to prove this point, he gave quoted the pankiti - ਸਿਵਾ ਸਕਤਿ ਸੰਬਾਦੰ ॥ - but he did not realize that in this pankiti, the word ਸਿਵਾ means Shiva and not Parvati.

ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ as the Jeev and Maya

Jeev Atma is infact an essence of Vaheguru. Jeev is Atma, Vaheguru is Parmatma (Great Atma in whom all Atmas lie). The Jeev in its purest form has same qualities as Vaheguru. This is why it can merge in Vaheguru. Only alike things can combine or merge with each other. Water and Fire and different and for this reason can't merge or mingle but water and water can merge and two flames of fire can become one. Same way, when the dirt of Maya is removed from the Jeev, it can become one with Vaheguru.

Since Vaheguru and Jeev are alike (as far as composition is concerned), Jeev is supposed to rule over Maya but in ignorance, the Jeev becomes slave to Maya and such is the Will of Vaheguru as well. Shiv (the jeev) the master of Shakti, is defeated by Maya and becomes slave to Maya. The following pankitis echo similar thoughts:

1) ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ ਆਪਿ ਉਪਾਇ ਕੈ ਕਰਤਾ ਆਪੇ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਵਰਤਾਏ ॥

In this 26th pauri of Siri Anand Sahib, the word ਸਿਵ means Jeev-Aatma and ਸਕਤਿ means Maya. Siri Guru jee is saying that by creating the Jeev-Atma and the Maya, the doer Vaheguru himself lets his Hukam (divine order) do everything.

2) ਦੋਵੈ ਤਰਫਾ ਉਪਾਈਓਨੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਸਕਤਿ ਸਿਵ ਵਾਸਾ ॥

ਸਕਤੀ ਕਿਨੈ ਨ ਪਾਇਓ ਫਿਰਿ ਜਨਮਿ ਬਿਨਾਸਾ ॥

ਗੁਰਿ ਸੇਵਿਐ ਸਾਤਿ ਪਾਈਐ ਜਪਿ ਸਾਸ ਗਿਰਾਸਾ ॥

In these panktis too the word ਸਿਵ means Jeev-Aatma and ਸਕਤਿ means Maya. Siri Guru jee saying that both Shiv the jeevatma and Maya reside in this world. No one attains peace of mind through Shakti; ones who forget Vaheguru and serve Maya have to take birth again after death. The ones who serve the Guru by chanting with every breath, get peace of mind.

3) ਹਾਠਾ ਦੋਵੈ ਕੀਤੀਓ ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ ਵਰਤਾਈਆ ॥

ਸਿਵ ਅਗੈ ਸਕਤੀ ਹਾਰਿਆ ਏਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਭਾਈਆ ॥

ਇਕਿ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਹੀ ਤੁਧੁ ਰਖਿਆ ਜੋ ਸਤਸੰਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਈਆ ॥

ਜਲ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਬਿੰਬੁ ਉਠਾਲਿਓ ਜਲ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਈਆ ॥੬॥

In these panktis too the word ਸਿਵ means Jeev-Aatma and ਸਕਤਿ means Maya. Vaheguru created both sides i.e. both Jeevatma and Maya reside in this world. For the most part, as per the Will of Vaheguru, Shiv (Jeev-aatma) loses in front of Shakti (Maya). But there are some fortunate ones out of the Jeev-Aatmas whom Vaheguru enables to meet Satsangat (divine congregation). They meet Vaheguru, as water removed from water becomes one with water.

In the 2nd pankiti above pankiti, it is important to place a bishraam after ਸਿਵ because the meaning is that ਸ਼ਿਵ, ਸ਼ਕਤੀ ਅਗੇ ਹਾਰ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ. If you place the bishraam after ਅਗੈ, then the meaning would be the opposite i.e. ਸ਼ਿਵ ਅਗੇ, ਸ਼ਕਤੀ ਹਾਰ ਗਈ.

Conclusion

Gurbani is very deep and it contains many words in different meanings. The words ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ, when appearing together, come in the meanings of at least one of the 3 above described meanings. Guru Sahib has used the existing concepts of different religions and redefined them according to Gurmat. According to Shaiv Matt of Hindus ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ is everything. Shiva is the lord and Maya is his consort. Some devotees worship Shakti and are called Shakats and others worship different forms of Shiva. But Gurmat has made it clear that Vaheguru, the Supreme Lord is above the demi-gods like Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu. As the matter of fact, according to Gurmat, the 3 Supreme lords - Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh - are shown to be a product of Maya:

ਏਕਾ ਮਾਈ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਵਿਆਈ ਤਿਨਿ ਚੇਲੇ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥

ਇਕੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੀ ਇਕੁ ਭੰਡਾਰੀ ਇਕੁ ਲਾਏ ਦੀਬਾਣੁ ॥

ਮਾਈ here means Maya. Vaheguru using his divine ਜੁਗਤਿ produced 3 disciples out of Maya - ਇਕੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੀ (Brahma), ਇਕੁ ਭੰਡਾਰੀ (preserver, Vishnu), ਇਕੁ ਲਾਏ ਦੀਬਾਣੁ (Mahesh). Such is the greatness of Vaheguru that, as it pleases him, he makes them do as is his Hukam; Vaheguru sees what they do, but they can't see or realize Vaheguru; this is such a big astonishment:

ਜਿਵ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਤਿਵੈ ਚਲਾਵੈ ਜਿਵ ਹੋਵੈ ਫੁਰਮਾਣੁ ॥

ਓਹੁ ਵੇਖੈ ਓਨਾ ਨਦਰਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਬਹੁਤਾ ਏਹੁ ਵਿਡਾਣੁ ॥

Bhul chuk dee Maafi jee.

Kulbir Singh

In Gurbani Shiv always mean God or akal purakh. However there is derivative term shiv meaning Hindu deity shiv but that is qualified as deity shiv appears in company of other deities.

ਆਪੇ ਸਿਵ ਸੰਕਰ ਮਹੇਸਾ ਆਪੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅਕਥ ਕਹਾਣੀ ॥

Aape siva sankar mahesaa aape gurmukh akath kahaanee:

He Himself is Shiva, Shankara and Mahaysh; He Himself is the Gurmukh, who speaks the Unspoken Speech

(sggs 553)

But this is not subject of discussion. Here we are saying that God and his creation are inpseparable.

You Yourself are All-powerful, the Intuitive Knower and the Sakti; on which the whole world is strung

(sggs 1242).

In Gurbani Shiv always mean God or akal purakh. However there is derivative term shiv meaning Hindu deity shiv but that is qualified as deity shiv appears in company of other deities.

ਆਪੇ ਸਿਵ ਸੰਕਰ ਮਹੇਸਾ ਆਪੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅਕਥ ਕਹਾਣੀ ॥

Aape siva sankar mahesaa aape gurmukh akath kahaanee:

He Himself is Shiva, Shankara and Mahaysh; He Himself is the Gurmukh, who speaks the Unspoken Speech

(sggs 553)

But this is not subject of discussion. Here we are saying that God and his creation are inpseparable.

(sggs 1242).

The point we are discussing is that 'is maya the aad shakti of Vaheguru ?'. My answer is no. The Aad Shakti is Bhagauti and Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee has interpreted bhagauti as Naam Khanda(Sword). Maya is an inferior shakti and Naam power is superior to Maya.

The devi(shakti) of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib is BHAGAUTI WHICH MEANS NAAM KHANDA.