Mma In Smethwick

Dear Subeg Singh,

Can you advise on the practicalities of training MMA with long hair/beard ? This is probably the thing that holds Amritdharees back the most. How do you find the grappling aspect of your training with your long kes ? Do you tie your kes a special way to stop them from opening ? How about using a rugby style headgear that many players use....would this be OK for MMA training ?

Please let us know about your advice/experiences, thanks.

dear pehlvan,

Basically, as a non amritdhari but kesadhari singh, I have no problems training with kes and daaraa. When I train I tie my hair into a guth and tie a jura at the back of my head. i cover my head with a patka and wear some wrestling ear guards over the top which stops me from getting cauliflower ears and keeps my patka on my head when grappling. I keep my daree open.

When I fight, I go into the cage with a french plat with my head uncovered and this does not come undone.

I think it would be very possible for amritdhari singhs to train in mma. You can easily keep a small kanga in the jura, wear a patka and use ear defenders to keep the patka on, or tie your patka under your chin like this singh wrestler in the video from punjab called jassa singh patti

Here is a video of Gurjot Singh Kooner, an elite kesadhari wrestler from canada wrestling in a patka with ear defenders:

Wear a thin karra and put a thick sweatband over it. Get some shorts and get a small pocket sewn in the waist band so that you can keep a small kirpan in there.

Its all quite easy really. Just need to think outside the box. Good luck with it.

vjkk vjkf

Singhs,

I am glad in one respect that you guys are debating about which martial art is the best etc, because its important to pick the right martial art for you.

Often people ask me which martial art to do, and really it depends on what your goals are. For myself, I want to fight in the cage which is a combat sport, therefore I need a good mix of combat sports such as Muay Thai, Wrestling, BJJ with a good healthy dose of hardcore fitness training and weights.

However, not everyone wants to dedicate their whole life to fighting in the ring and most just want to be able to defend themselves or help defend the panth if need be.

If you want to do mma, you need to seek out qualified instructors in proper clubs and yes you will have to train with non-Sikhs. This should not be a barrier to stop you from training, actually it is a good opportunity for integration and you will find that the best friends you ever make will be the guys/girls that you train with, and you will also have the added bonus of knowing that these guys also have your back if ever required.

The advice I give to singhs who do not want to make a career out of mma but basically just want to defend themselves and stop themselves from getting bullied is basically to find ANY martial art and try to attend at least twice a week. This, coupled with some hardcore strength/powerlifting in the gym will make you a very tough individual indeed and you will wipe out 90% of the people you are ever likely to come across in a street fight.

In summary: To fight in the ring, dedicate your life to martial arts and find the best instructors. For general self defence, find ANY martial art, stick with it, and get hench so people dont wanna fight you in the first place.

i totally agree with this, and from my experience its true if your in a good mma gym you will become best friends with alot of the ppl you train with, and its really important to train with people who inspire you to push yourself

Whats wrong with being a bouncer???? nothing wrong with it.

You say we only strike when all other means have failed, so you would try to talk it out with someone who's being aggressive with you and is about to strike you? then you would strike if they hit you? ask any martial artist if someone is being aggressive towards you and its likely they will try to attack you they would finish it right then, taking the person out straight away. Martial Artists and even your average joe wont wait till they get hit then to fight back, its all about survival.

I think you should refer to jangnama, yes bana and bani is important so is training in vidiya.

"Do not call the dogs (the Sikhs) dogs, because they are lions (and) are courageous like lions in the battlefield. How can a hero, who roars like a lion be called a dog? (Moreover) like lions they spread terror in the field of battle. If you wish to learn the art of war, come face to face with them in the battlefield. They will demonstrate it (art of war) to you in such a way that one and all will shower praise on them.

http://www.sikhawareness.com//index.php?showtopic=12806

just my two cents.

Whats good about being a Bouncer? You get to wear a large coat and you allow people into clubs, well if thats all your ambitions are then good luck to you. If you place yourself in a situation, then obviously you will have to defend yourself. The main point i am making, we have a lot of people who try and use self defence and apply it to Sikhs back in the day, difference back then was the Lions as you rightly called them had a cause to defend the Sikh nation. You talk about survival and thats the problem, Sikhs believe in Ekta, we are lions because we protected others, so as you obviously go to clubs, if a fight broke out between Sikhs 'What would you do?', If a gang of muslims attacked a Sikh 'What would you do?' would you jump in. The problem today is we do not use the 'budh' Guru Granth Sahib ji gives us, If we have vidhiya and not naam/bani we are not those lions, if we have naam/bani and no vidhiya we are not those lions, the sikhs had vidhiya and naam bani which made them fearless warriors.

Fateh ji, SherePunjab93, you seem to post alot of stuff in regards to fighting/SP etc. If your a Sikh, why in the hell would you want to be a bouncer of a nightclub? I agree about Sikhs needing to learn skills to develop there 'SELF DEFENCE' which is what some people seem to be forgetting. We are the Son's and Daughters of Guru Gobind Singh ji, we only strike when all other means have failed. Also learning is one thing, the real thing is totally different. All i am saying yes there is a need to learn but we need to learn for the right reasons, not use it to make people fear us, do you think the moghuls feared the Sikhs because of their skills, remember the moghuls were also skilled in the art of war, the skill the sikhs had above everyone was they were fearless due to BANI and BANA.

Bhul Chuk Maafi Karni

were did i say i want to be a bouncer, i made a point that nightclubs our now hiring fighters out of mma gyms rather then steroid monkeys cause guys out of mma train in combat everyday were as all a steroid monkey has is size, and for someone who knows what their doing size doesn't matter, their a few guys out of my gym who work as doormen now

and whats wrong with being a sikh and working as a bouncer??

when did I mention in my posts I go to clubs?! dont put words into my mouth. Nor do I want to be a bouncer, when did I say I did?

IF is an important word, if you would like to re-read my post and then respond!

were did i say i want to be a bouncer, i made a point that nightclubs our now hiring fighters out of mma gyms rather then steroid monkeys cause guys out of mma train in combat everyday were as all a steroid monkey has is size, and for someone who knows what their doing size doesn't matter, their a few guys out of my gym who work as doormen now

and whats wrong with being a sikh and working as a bouncer??

Whats actually good about it?

IF is an important word, if you would like to re-read my post and then respond!

Whats actually good about it?

for the guys training out of the same gym i do who have taken up the job, they get paid extremely well to work 2 nights a week while some of them attend school full time and train full time

for the guys training out of the same gym i do who have taken up the job, they get paid extremely well to work 2 nights a week while some of them attend school full time and train full time

and they make enough working those 2 nights a week to get through school and training

• 11 years later...

Typical apne post. Guy comes out asking for a training partner and support and a man has come on and changed the whole subject and made it about what he thinks is best.

let’s hope this kid hasn’t been put off training.

our ppl sadly have a bad habit of being negative about everything.