Gatka - A Few Video'S Everyone Should Watch

caveman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnRoAhojxQY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6JBRinzz7U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h74Jd68idrg&feature=related

Just a few example's of gatka....

The pentra is very similar, ritual/nuances are the same, vaar's, namaskar's are the same etc etc.

Now for my question, How does this fit with the theory held by many especially gatka baaj that 'gatka' is the unique 'sikh' martial art which was given by Guru Hargobind Ji?

So whats the theory re gatka baazi in Pakistan...?

Caveman,

If you read the comments at the bottom of the last link you provided it states:

This dance (attaan) is called KOHMBHAR in Hazara division of NWFP and is performed on weddings and other fesstive occasions. It has many varriations, this particular one is performed with GATTKA. I must say these guys are doing it realy well, their body movements are quite sharp and synchronised with the dhol beats.

Well done guys and thanks for uploading. Have few more if possible.

Jahangir. UK

From here one can see Gatka what Satguru Gave us and this thing that they are doing called Attan is two different things. From the above comment you can further understand that the tools they are holding is called Gattka not the actual dance or performance, whereas Sikhs called the Martial-arts Gatka. They both are completely different. GuruSahib did give us the Martial arts we have this documented in many historical texts. Dont loose faith just because of some video.

<br />Caveman,<br /><br />If you read the comments at the bottom of the last link you provided it states:<br /><i><br />This <b>dance (attaan)</b> is called KOHMBHAR in Hazara division of NWFP and is performed on weddings and other fesstive occasions. It has many varriations, this particular one is performed with GATTKA. I must say these guys are doing it realy well, their body movements are quite sharp and synchronised with the dhol beats.<br />Well done guys and thanks for uploading. Have few more if possible.<br />Jahangir. UK </i><br /><br />From here one can see Gatka what Satguru Gave us and this thing that they are doing called Attan is two different things. From the above comment you can further understand that the tools they are holding is called Gattka not the actual dance or performance, whereas Sikhs called the Martial-arts Gatka. They both are completely different. GuruSahib did give us the Martial arts we have this documented in many historical texts. Dont loose faith just because of some video.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

"Sikhs called the Martial-arts Gatka" .. Not so sure about this...is there any historical texts from the time of Guru Hargobind or pre-1800 that even mention the word "Gatka" as a martial art. It is clear that Gatka can not be considered a martial art..certianly not as used by Sikhs in the battlefield... Yes there is no doubt there was a martial art...but it wasnt Gatka... Gatka is a very watered down version of fencing with sticks...or a exhobitionist performance art, rather than a lethal battlefield combat art..

Caveman,

This dance (attaan) is called KOHMBHAR in Hazara division of NWFP and is performed on weddings and other fesstive occasions. It has many varriations, this particular one is performed with GATTKA. I must say these guys are doing it realy well, their body movements are quite sharp and synchronised with the dhol beats.

Well done guys and thanks for uploading. Have few more if possible.

Jahangir. UK [/i]

From here one can see Gatka what Satguru Gave us and this thing that they are doing called Attan is two different things. From the above comment you can further understand that the tools they are holding is called Gattka not the actual dance or performance, whereas Sikhs called the Martial-arts Gatka. They both are completely different. GuruSahib did give us the Martial arts we have this documented in many historical texts. Dont loose faith just because of some video.

Thank you for your reply T_Singh. Could you please enlighten me tell me which Historical text prior to gyani gian singh's text which is the only text before 1880's which mentions gatka.

I never believed gatka was a sikh martial art, not being offensive but its not even a martial art(just my opinion).

The term 'Gatka' is derived from the Persian name for sword-like training stick known as 'Khutka' that was introduced into India during the 17th century. (quote taken from Shastar Vidiya website.

So like I said how do these video's which are very similar to gatka fit in with the theory that guru hargobind gave sikhs gatka?

<br /><br /><br />

"Sikhs called the Martial-arts Gatka" .. Not so sure about this...is there any historical texts from the time of Guru Hargobind or pre-1800 that even mention the word "Gatka" as a martial art. It is clear that Gatka can not be considered a martial art..certianly not as used by Sikhs in the battlefield... Yes there is no doubt there was a martial art...but it wasnt Gatka... Gatka is a very watered down version of fencing with sticks...or a exhobitionist performance art, rather than a lethal battlefield combat art..

Tell us which art was used when Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji fought. I have barely practiced Gatka, but I know it's very effective when you are taking on more than one person. The way the sword is guided with the hand allows a person to strike multiple times and keep moving. This fashion of fighting allows a person to kill many when he is out numbered.

When Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji and his Singhs were fighting wars, they were always out numbered. They needed a way to strike a person once and completely disarm them from getting up again and striking them. The speed of the sword and the hand that guided it was moving in ways that the enemy could not come near the Singhs. Even arrows were stopped with the movement of the sword. These were no weak Singhs or untrained Singhs. They had the strenght of a lion and had the mentality the fake Sikhs today can't even imagine.

Fencing is a one on one way of fighting which strengthens straight strikes. Fencing in no way is similar to Gatka.

I never believed gatka was a sikh martial art, not being offensive but its not even a martial art(just my opinion).

So like I said how do these video's which are very similar to gatka fit in with the theory that guru hargobind gave sikhs gatka?

i dont beleive that Gatka started with Gurus either. But there's no loss if it didn't either. This art of warfare, that is called shastar-vidya is the true art which existed way before Kalyug, and in the Kalyug along with Dharma it has become hidden. If the Indians knew this warfare in Kalyug they most likely wouldn't have got beat by the turks and moghals.

Like some other aspects of Sikhi, the Guru's reveived this art, rather than created it.