Grays Sangat Votes To Allowe Alcohol, Meat And Tobacco

Guest Reporter

Had there been voting for choosing panj piyare at anandpur sahib in 1969

just imagine what would have happened . We are lucky our master

went by selection and not election

/whatever happened at Greys is really disgusting , we in india have been

struggling that voting right for Sgpc should be reserved for Sabat Surats

only.Lets see how far we suceed

Theres a few veerji, theres one in Birmingham that i know of.. baaki hor v hege :(

Has any steps been taken to stop this slander from taking place?

I have not heard myself if any of this type of places(hall in a Gurdwara) exist in BC, but does anyone know if the same type of things are happening here. And if they are, can someone identify those Gurdwaras. It would be really appreciated.

thanks

WJKK WJKF

This is beyond a joke.

First they have a meeting and you'd think that although its obvious what they should do, they will vote against it, and now they vote for it!!!

I agree with the sangat that something needs to be done, but not just locally but nationwide (if not internationally).

Like someone said earlier there are numerous halls like this dotted around the country.

I personally dont care whether the hall is on the premises, next door or down the road. if the building, committee and/or sangat donations are affiliated with the 'party hall' then it is Gurudwara's property and hence it is WRONG.

Its a money making scam.

WJKK WJKF

Guest harminderkaur

Has any steps been taken to stop this slander from taking place?

I have not heard myself if any of this type of places(hall in a Gurdwara) exist in BC, but does anyone know if the same type of things are happening here. And if they are, can someone identify those Gurdwaras. It would be really appreciated.

thanks

I don't know about BC but I live like 6 hours away in America and if you wanna kick some butt come visit us. We recently had to kick out a Granthi that got caught buying beer, put him out on the street at midnight. the 3 currently here have been accused many times but never caught red handed and are creating a scene about leaving.

we have kicked out 2 granthis in 2 years time for drinking. 3 been accused but not found actually drinking. Anyone that wants to kick butt, please visit :D

I did not attend the meeting myself. However, from some individuals who did attend I was told that the 12 man Gurdwara Committee (who by majority were against the idea of meat, alcohol and parties being allowed on the Gurdwara premises) were overruled by local sangat who wished to serve meat and alcohol at parties on the premises of the Gurdwara complex.

In the Gurdwara committee of 12, 8 members of the Grays Gurdwara committee were against the meat, alcohol and party proposal, however 4 members were in favour. The 4 members managed to influence the committee to have an AGM (local sangat meeting), as they stragically placed a large number of their family members within the voting sangat who were then able to swing the vote in their favour.

The Akal Takht Sandesh of 2006, strictly forbidding these activities in Sikh Gurdwara complexes was articulately presented to the local Grays sangat by a young local Sikh (who it is believed was invited by the Gurdwara Committee President Gurdip Singh himself) but the contents of the Sandesh was subsequently ignored by that voting sangat.

Around 9 further independent individuals from the wider UK sangat (not from Grays) attended the AGM but were not allowed to participate in the vote and were later verbally and physically abused as they questioned the decision made by the local sangat. One of the indivduals had his turban pulled and was then attacked by members of the local Grays sangat as he left the Gurdwara hall after voicing his opinion.

Subsequently, at the end of this AGM a sub committee was formalised to manage the bookings of this Gurdwara annexed hall. The sub committee is to be headed by a committee member called Kewal Singh Grewal.

I did not attend the meeting myself. However, from some Singhs who did attend I was told that the Committee (who by majority were against the idea of meat, alcohol and parties being allowed on the Gurdwara premises) were overruled by local sangat who wished to serve meat and alcohol at parties on the premises of the Gurdwara complex.

In the Gurdwara committee of 12, 8 members of the Grays Gurdwara committee were against the meat, alcohol and party proposal, however 4 members were in favour. The 4 members managed to force the committee to have an AGM (local sangat meeting), as they stragically placed a large number of their family members within the voting sangat who were able to swing the vote in their favour.

The Akal Takht Sandesh of 2006, strictly forbidding these activities in Sikh Gurdwara complexes was articulately presented to the local Grays sangat by another local Singh (who was invited by the Gurdwara Committee President) but was subsequently ignored by that voting sangat.

9 further independent individuals from the wider UK sangat (not from Grays) attended the AGM but were not allowed to participate in the vote and were later verbally and physically abused as they questioned the decision made by the local sangat.

Subsequently, a sub committee was formalised to manage the the bookings of this Gurdwara annexed hall .

name and shame !!!

name and shame !!!

Those of you that go to this Gurdwara, need to have a read up of the Constitution. If the Constitution, states that the Main objective of the Gurdwara is to promote the teaching of the Sikh Religion (which should be the case) and if using the Gurdwara premises for anything other than what is written in the Constitution, is not allowed, then if the Gurdwara is a registred charity with the Charities Commission, the management committe is in breach of that constitution.

Grays Gurdwara Senior Committee Contacts

Gurdwara President is Gurdip Singh

Gurdwara General Sec is Kewal Singh Grewal

The Committee can be contacted on tel no 01375 376086.

Please laise with your local Sikh group or any national jathebhandi to contact the above individuals at Grays Gurdwara