Is Having Hair Mandatory In Sikhism?

and I can promise you that lots of those white dudes who may make fun of you are really just insecure about themselves. Why else would they mess with you?

I have seen Whites with long hair and beards. But since 9/11 the Turban which is a crown for the Sikhs is being associated with Osama Bin Laden - a Muslim terrorist. I don't see any Whites laughing at the Queen with her crown and saying it's out of date.

Since Sikhs are required to keep their uncut hair covered 24/7 they are Raj Yogis in Kaljug as Sant Attar Singh used to say. Muslims and Hindus mostly wear a turban on their wedding day or on a special day like Eid.

Woman is not the problem with this - it is purely fashion which will never stop. Shave a bit and shave the whole or just don't shave at all (which requires mental strength).

Well that made me feel better. SO we are warriors people who have turbans and have the courage to have a turban and mustache, beard. Which many people dont. But... What about other Religions they dont have to keep their hair. I am confused on that part or is SIkhism the only real religion. i am confused on that part.

Edit: i am from New York City

There are multitudes of chardi kala Singhs in New York and New Jersey, and some are only a couple of years older to you. You need to change your crowd, change the people you hang out with as suggested earlier. Let me know if you need to talk to young Singhs and I can try to get you their contact info. They'll be more than glad to be your sangat.

Great advice to give to a 14 year old kid! (sarcasm) You think by him reading Charitropakhyan all his problems will be solved? Charitropakhyan requires knowledge and maturity to read, and if a person does not have these qualities, they will probably just get more confused. I think these forums are good, but sometimes people just post the most ridiculous advice that it can lead to more confusion and doubt.

Like a member said maturity does not come with age always. If you look at a 14 year old that lived 15 years back he/she would be less mature because he had limited access to information. Only information he had would be teacher, and the text books they provide and then his her parents and groups of friends. Today the same 14 year old is much more mature because of technology has made information much more easier to get. Even the surrounding teens that live in today is much more mature and the education they attain is more broad so they end up touching on more topics. If this was 15 years back I would have never told this 14 year old to read Charitropakhyan because the access to information is not there. But today he does have that access and because of it he is more mature. Todays 14 year old is more like a 18 year old back 15 years. He does his paath so he has the level of maturity. Chartropakhyan can be misintrepreted by many(which it has), but if you read enough at one time the message becomes clear.

Lastly this 14 year old is not one of those types that sits backs and accepts everything without reasoning, just read his post and you can pick that up.

Well that made me feel better. SO we are warriors people who have turbans and have the courage to have a turban and mustache, beard. Which many people dont. But... What about other Religions they dont have to keep their hair. I am confused on that part or is SIkhism the only real religion. i am confused on that part.

Im glad it helped you. Other religions don't have to keep their hair but then again, muslim women have to wear a burka, which other religions aren't required to. Does that make Islam the only true path? Our path of Sikhi requires us to keep our hair because it is a way of showing commitment to God and showing how we appreciate the way he made us. Other religions have their way of showing commitment but this is our way of showing commitment to God. The perfect Lord has made our bodies to be the way they are for a purpose and we don't want to alter that.

Rab Rakha

other religions were actually required to keep their hair. christ kept his hair, but the catholic church changed the religion to gain acceptance from the roman emperors. the prophet mohammed kept his, but b/c he had a thin moustache muslims trimmed theirs to emulate him. over time their adherance to keeping kesh decreased. the old testament commands the keeping of hair - jews kept theirs... now they trim and even rabbis only keep hair uncut over certain parts of the head. Guru Gobind Singh ji gave a blessing to the khalsa, that all will leave their dharms (meaning they watered down some main religious principles), but khalsa will stay true to its dharm in kaljug.

Guest harminderkaur

Wearing a turban in america post 9/11 is not bad as it sounds, if you are educated about Sikhi and your turban. I have recently started to wear a turban and I love it when people come in and ask if I am muslim or often if I hurt my head. That gives me a chance to explain sikhism to them and spread the message of Sikhi. Did you know now majority of my customers (i work at 7/11 type of store) get mad at me if they see me without turban because now they know what it means.

All my veers and bhens around the world please don't cut your hair, educate yourself on Sikhism, learn to be calm when made fun of, wait till the other person stops laughing and then take their joke to explain to them what sikhi is. If you can do that, you can not only find acceptance for yourself in your community, help others around you that go through same issues and most importantly spread khalsa raj.

Wearing a turban in america post 9/11 is not bad as it sounds, if you are educated about Sikhi and your turban. I have recently started to wear a turban and I love it when people come in and ask if I am muslim or often if I hurt my head. That gives me a chance to explain sikhism to them and spread the message of Sikhi. Did you know now majority of my customers (i work at 7/11 type of store) get mad at me if they see me without turban because now they know what it means.

All my veers and bhens around the world please don't cut your hair, educate yourself on Sikhism, learn to be calm when made fun of, wait till the other person stops laughing and then take their joke to explain to them what sikhi is. If you can do that, you can not only find acceptance for yourself in your community, help others around you that go through same issues and most importantly spread khalsa raj.

Yea That was a really good explanation and well Now on i will tell them what Sikhi is because i just noticed by reading this. all of my friends that know what sikhi is treat me equally and even protect me when some other people try to make fun of me.