Is Having Hair Mandatory In Sikhism?

Sant sevak u r again twisting and manipulating the facts this is not small minority but majourity of sikhs outside Punjab r true to faith another fact u r ignoring is if there r sirgums there is increase in number of turbaned and Amritdhari singhsthis was stated by IBN CNN itself in 2009 In Punjab due to propagation work done by several jathebandis u r tring to justify the wrongdoing by misguided people . If u have true figures then quote but people in Punjab r now slowly turning to sikhi biggest proof is PICS OF BBHINDRAWALE IN VEHICLES, WEARING OF T SHIRTS OF SANT JEE who was a true sikh and a saint solider . IF some sikhs their hair they will be having physical relations with their blood relatives these werethe words of Guru Gobind sINGH JI.

I have sent the whole judgement 1 year back 165 page pages pronounced by by full bench of Punjab and hayana high court on 31 may 2009 in gurleen kaur versus state of punjab case no is 14859 of 2008 . Secondly this lines were dictated by Guru Gobind Singh to bhai Nand lal Singh ji these submissions with other references were submitted by Atinder Pal Singh Khalastani to the courtalong with other 274 references were from rehatnamas guru granth shaiab u can search throgh website of court and the earlier posts by me by seeing the judgements ur mind will be cleared of misunderstanding. Secondly u can go through the writings of poet senpati.

Thank you for these. Much appreciated.

Conversation of Guru Nanak ji with bahrauddin in baghdad is very important if u term these as unreliable then it is ur problem. Name of Rehatnama of Bhai Nand lal is called SAKHI REHAT KI and PRASAN UTTAR . Desa Singh REHATNAMA is almost same those cutting hair are termed as SIRGUMS those doing kurahit after taking Amrit which includes trimming or cutting of hair are called PATITS.

Thank you for these also. I am quite interested in Bagdad references, I appreciate bringing my attention to these. I will check our gurdwara library to see if they have any relevant books.

I already mentioned the practice how we, believing in the Sikh religion, are wearing our Kesh. So based on the definitions from the times of Sikh origins, can we say that Sikhs number only a tiny fraction of the people from Sikh background? This is taking into account that 70~80% of Sikhs in Punjab are trimming their beards and mostly all of those who are abroad do so.

Sant sevak u r again twisting and manipulating the facts this is not small minority but majourity of sikhs outside Punjab r true to faith

While keeping in mind the definition of a Sikh that you just posted?

another fact u r ignoring is if there r sirgums there is increase in number of turbaned and Amritdhari singhsthis was stated by IBN CNN itself in 2009 In Punjab due to propagation work done by several jathebandis u r tring to justify the wrongdoing by misguided people .

1. An increase in a trend does not mean that the total percentage has changed from minority to a majority. Example: % turbaned Sikhs: 20 in 2008, 21 in 2009. The trend shows increase, but the total percentage is still small.

2. Turbaned Sikh is different than one who does not trim his beard. But without the news source, it is difficult to understand what it was about.

I tried but could not find the news article. But if this is true, I am really glad ... but it is no indication of being out of the woods yet. BTW, are you in the Punjab?

If u have true figures then quote but people in Punjab r now slowly turning to sikhi biggest proof is PICS OF BBHINDRAWALE IN VEHICLES, WEARING OF T SHIRTS OF SANT JEE who was a true sikh and a saint solider . IF some sikhs their hair they will be having physical relations with their blood relatives these werethe words of Guru Gobind sINGH JI.

I gave a link in an earlier post today. The biggest proof for me will be when I see our youth not trimming their kesh anymore or when I see that people away from the Punjab do not do away with their kesh and turbans for any excuses. That is the only proof that I can accept.

ਚਡ਼੍ਹਦੀ ਕਲਾ।

While keeping in mind the definition of a Sikh that you just posted?

1. An increase in a trend does not mean that the total percentage has changed from minority to a majority. Example: % turbaned Sikhs: 20 in 2008, 21 in 2009. The trend shows increase, but the total percentage is still small.

2. Turbaned Sikh is different than one who does not trim his beard. But without the news source, it is difficult to understand what it was about.

I tried but could not find the news article. But if this is true, I am really glad ... but it is no indication of being out of the woods yet. BTW, are you in the Punjab?

I gave a link in an earlier post today. The biggest proof for me will be when I see our youth not trimming their kesh anymore or when I see that people away from the Punjab do not do away with their kesh and turbans for any excuses. That is the only proof that I can accept.

ਚਡ਼੍ਹਦੀ ਕਲਾ।

See it takes time to rectify the damage but many sikh groups r doing selfless service. Due to politicalising of gurdwara committees not only SGPC but other local committees and role played by elctronic media a large number of youth r getting misguided but due to efforts of some sikh groups now sikhs r turning to sikhi . There is growing trend in older sikh generation to motivate youth to become good professionals but not the good sikhs result is that sirgums or even other sikhs r bullied by migrant biharis who not only indulge in rapes and murders but r indulging in using sikh girls for protitution. I am drifting away from the topic the unshorn hair is essential part of sikhi u can go through the jugdement in GURLEEN KAUR VS STATE OF PUNJAB case no cwp no 14859of 2008 in which Atinder pal Singh khalstani produced paintings of 400 years old showing not only sikh Gurus but the sikhs were keshadharis and verses from SAKHI REHAT KI BY NAND LAL SINGH in which strong injuctions were given by guru ji. Sikhi is not decided by numbers but by commitment only in Gurdwaras people from other faiths r welcome not in muslim, hindu religious places . U r confused by some misinterpretations. In sikhi there is concept of GURU GRANTH AND GURU PANTH . U must have noticed GURU GRANTH IS ACCOMPANIED BY PANJ PYRAS WHY THE ANSWER IS ,IN SIKHI BOTH GURU GRANTH AND GURU PANTH IS ESSENTIAL means spirit of Guru is in GURU GRANTH SHIAB AND PHYSICAL FORM IS IN GURU PANTH sikhs with 5 ks.U seem to be carried away by the large no of youths sheding sikhi but Guru ji said PEHLA MARAN KABBOOL JEEWAN KI SHADH ASAH MEANING ACCEPT FEELING OF SELF SARIFICE.Gurmukhi is essential because transalations of some key words r impossible in other words as it changes or creates new meanings.

See it takes time to rectify the damage but many sikh groups r doing selfless service. Due to politicalising of gurdwara committees not only SGPC but other local committees and role played by elctronic media a large number of youth r getting misguided but due to efforts of some sikh groups now sikhs r turning to sikhi . There is growing trend in older sikh generation to motivate youth to become good professionals but not the good sikhs <snipped some irrelevant stuff> the unshorn hair is essential part of sikhi u can go through the jugdement in GURLEEN KAUR VS STATE OF PUNJAB case no cwp no 14859of 2008 in which Atinder pal Singh khalstani produced paintings of 400 years old showing not only sikh Gurus but the sikhs were keshadharis and verses from SAKHI REHAT KI BY NAND LAL SINGH in which strong injuctions were given by guru ji. Sikhi is not decided by numbers but by commitment only in Gurdwaras people from other faiths r welcome not in muslim, hindu religious places . U r confused by some misinterpretations. In sikhi there is concept of GURU GRANTH AND GURU PANTH . U must have noticed GURU GRANTH IS ACCOMPANIED BY PANJ PYRAS WHY THE ANSWER IS ,IN SIKHI BOTH GURU GRANTH AND GURU PANTH IS ESSENTIAL means spirit of Guru is in GURU GRANTH SHIAB AND PHYSICAL FORM IS IN GURU PANTH sikhs with 5 ks.U seem to be carried away by the large no of youths sheding sikhi but Guru ji said PEHLA MARAN KABBOOL JEEWAN KI SHADH ASAH MEANING ACCEPT FEELING OF SELF SARIFICE.Gurmukhi is essential because transalations of some key words r impossible in other words as it changes or creates new meanings.

I agree regarding the social and economic influences on Sikhs cutting their hair. I am glad you have mentioned rational explanations and accepted that there is indeed a problem and that today's Sikhs are diluting what it means to be a Sikh. Only The Punjab and Haryana High Court come to our rescue when it reminding us recently what trimming of hair means to Sikhs!

Even before the onset of globalization and universal TV channels promoting popular hero images in which trimmed Sikhs were the ones shown to be glamorous (the common term used is cut-serds in India). Even before that, trimming and cutting of beard and kesh was rampant in people of rural background, jamindaars and workers like (but they weren't the only ones, mind it). IIRC, the justification at that time was that it was inconvenient to maintain their hair in harsh working conditions of the fields. See where this is going? This has led to others finding excuses as well, after all, if one group can justify it and get away with it, why cannot others? I am not sure how familiar you are with Punjabi culture, I am, and I can attest to it that in today's Punjab, trimming or cutting of hair among the youth is actually considered as a great and heroic deed among their peers! There is another social insight that you probably are not aware of. The question of popularity of Turban. It is getting popular for two main reasons: its glamor in movies and the fact that it is considered as a fashion statement.

This mind set needs to change. It is very sad that youth are not appreciating other youth who have steadfast belief in their faiths, who do not trim their hair and wear Turbans not solely for fashion but as a sign of their faith.

In my view, the following things need to be done:

1. Sikh youth must be taught to focus on education, especially in the Punjab, professional as well as about origins and teachings of Sikhism.

2. Our leaders must stop playing politics and come out against trimming of beards and hair of kesh (why did the High Court have to intervene and clarify all of this?). One reason they (especially the ones in the Europe and NA) are not vocal about it is for the fear of losing sangat in the gurdwaras and losing the money offered (ਚਡ਼੍ਹਾਵਾ).

3. Our gurdwara leadership must stop all the hypocritical non-sense that is common these days. It must teach, *while* practicing, the fundamentals and teaching of Sikhism. This means, creating leading examples for the next generation, not just preaching to others with holier than thou attitude.

4. Most important, Sikh fundamentals must be followed, including, but not limited to, the following. One universal God, belief in the teaching of our gurus and SSGS, all humans are created equal and have equal rights, no sexism, casteism must end (we are not Hindus, are we!), and respect for all religions of the world.

ਚਡ਼੍ਹਦੀ ਕਲਾ।

I just wanted to add this from what sant jagjit singh ji harkhowale said about other religions. I've just copied and pasted some answers that show how other religions can reach sachkand and are equal in obtaining waheguru. (Below is copied and pasted from what was written here before)

I sincerely hope this clears the doubts of many people.

6. In Kalyug, can Sachkhand be attained without Khande Batte Da Amrit ?

- Sant ji said, whoever did naam di kaamie from any bhek will attain sackhand. There are many ways to meet Vahiguroo, whosoever did naam kaamie after receiving spiritual discourses from saints will get to sachkhand. However, there is only condition, sant/mahapursh should be pooran gyanvan/bhramgyani. He/she could be from any matt, jatt/patt.

7. Did the devi/devtae (Krishan Bhagwan etc) attain Sachkhand, if so how, because in Bachitar Natak Guru Ji states they all got lost in maya and that why Guru Ji had to come?

- Sant ji said, krishan maharaj is also avtar of vahiguroo, he is always in sachkhand. Wherever he steps, that place becomes sachkhand.

8. Are the bhatts/bhagats who have their writings in Guru granth Sahib Ji, actually the Devi/Devtae reborn and attained SachKhand through Guru Ji?

- Sant ji said, guru maharaj took gurbani from bhagats who were mukht(liberated). They were mukht before sri guru nanak dev ji came in physical form. Vahiguroo is only one, vahiguroo is the one takes avtar from ages to ages. Some people call him narsingh, raam, krishan, sri guru nanak dev ji etc there all one. To see any distination or have any partiality is work of agyani pursh(ignorant ones) not aim or work of gyanvan bhramgyanis.

I agree regarding the social and economic influences on Sikhs cutting their hair. I am glad you have mentioned rational explanations and accepted that there is indeed a problem and that today's Sikhs are diluting what it means to be a Sikh. Only The Punjab and Haryana High Court come to our rescue when it reminding us recently what trimming of hair means to Sikhs!

Even before the onset of globalization and universal TV channels promoting popular hero images in which trimmed Sikhs were the ones shown to be glamorous (the common term used is cut-serds in India). Even before that, trimming and cutting of beard and kesh was rampant in people of rural background, jamindaars and workers like (but they weren't the only ones, mind it). IIRC, the justification at that time was that it was inconvenient to maintain their hair in harsh working conditions of the fields. See where this is going? This has led to others finding excuses as well, after all, if one group can justify it and get away with it, why cannot others? I am not sure how familiar you are with Punjabi culture, I am, and I can attest to it that in today's Punjab, trimming or cutting of hair among the youth is actually considered as a great and heroic deed among their peers! There is another social insight that you probably are not aware of. The question of popularity of Turban. It is getting popular for two main reasons: its glamor in movies and the fact that it is considered as a fashion statement.

This mind set needs to change. It is very sad that youth are not appreciating other youth who have steadfast belief in their faiths, who do not trim their hair and wear Turbans not solely for fashion but as a sign of their faith.

In my view, the following things need to be done:

1. Sikh youth must be taught to focus on education, especially in the Punjab, professional as well as about origins and teachings of Sikhism.

2. Our leaders must stop playing politics and come out against trimming of beards and hair of kesh (why did the High Court have to intervene and clarify all of this?). One reason they (especially the ones in the Europe and NA) are not vocal about it is for the fear of losing sangat in the gurdwaras and losing the money offered (ਚਡ਼੍ਹਾਵਾ).

3. Our gurdwara leadership must stop all the hypocritical non-sense that is common these days. It must teach, *while* practicing, the fundamentals and teaching of Sikhism. This means, creating leading examples for the next generation, not just preaching to others with holier than thou attitude.

4. Most important, Sikh fundamentals must be followed, including, but not limited to, the following. One universal God, belief in the teaching of our gurus and SSGS, all humans are created equal and have equal rights, no sexism, casteism must end (we are not Hindus, are we!), and respect for all religions of the world.

ਚਡ਼੍ਹਦੀ ਕਲਾ।

Iam glad u have understood the concept the questions u raised r asked by many people so I appeal to all members not to lose their cool.Unfortunately our people in majourity has given up the habit of reading. I personaly want all committees of gurdwaras and institutions run by committees to properly propagate the message of sikhi. It is only concecpt which has aim of SARBAT DA BHALLA.

gurfateh

• 4 months later...

Hey Buddy,

First of all I think its awesome that you haven't cut your hair yet. I am a white dude, and I can promise you that lots of those white dudes who may make fun of you are really just insecure about themselves. Why else would they mess with you?

Your 14, its perfectly normal to feel awkward about yourself and want to change yourself. All the other kids in the class feel the same way, but just about different aspects of themselves. Cutting your hair would not make this go away... you would still need the latest clothes/the right little "click" of friends/etc.

Also, you think shaving every day isn't a pain? Its a huge pain!

If girls don't like your hair you should consider that a blessing. At your age you should focus only on school and success. Nothing else matters. Did you hear about that gursikh doctor who cant get a wife? Oh yea... he doesn't exist. I know its hard, but girls are a distraction right now... anything that keeps them away is a blessing. Also, any girl that would date while in high school is not worth your time. Be top of your class and get into a good school... excelling is much better than fitting in.

You have been born into a beautiful religion, trust me. If you desert your heritage just to fit in, man you will regret it later. I see the kids at Gurdwara that keep kesh and I always think man, those guys may take a lot of crap now... but think about the strength of character they are building. That singh in your name is their for a reason, so earn it man. I got complete faith in you.

Fateh!

-W

man, this dude up here. really knows what he's talkin about. i'm so proud that you, a white guy, no offense, are a Sikh and that was jsut inspirational :D

• 2 months later...

In Sikhi it is mandatory it is rehat get ready to take amrit bro enter the khalsa live this life, because people who are not in it are suffering from so many other things stress lack of love, hatred for other people in different ways, all sorts be true to yourself. Girls are not everything your happiness is within. People just following the media when it comes to cutting hair, forget people look at yourself and what makes you happy, is it being true to yourself, your parents, and your god or is it just to get a little bit of action with a girl- there are people with kesh who do sleep around as well you know! There are full dhari singhs (proper huge) with ghoris even married to them. Any girl who does not like you for being true to yourself is not worth the hassle.