Do You Have To Be Amritdhari To Wear Kirpan

I don't eat meat nor do i drink.. i stopped a long time ago.

I'm not amritdhari, so i don't do paat every morning etc.. But i do keep my dhari etc, i wear a blue dastaar (personally i like tying it more than the normal black ones, even though it makes me looks more religious than i actually am lol)

Can i wear a Kirpan then .. Cuz i thought of this, i can wear Kara/Khanga etc, even if i did eat meat (get paahp i know), but wearing a Kirpan would sort of be in the same context kinda (even though i know it has a completely different meaning from the other K's)

I dont eat egg anymore, but i sometimes want to go back.. Cuz i need a lot of protien for my training. (Also the eggs we eat are unfertilized eggs in UK, so they never had a chance of becoming live offspring, in my mind of (science) thats how it works.. and so i think its ok to eat eggs)

So in my opinion all the 5 K's are equal, so wearing one is just the same as the other.

So could i wear a Kirpan and not be amritdhari yet, and what would happen if i ate an egg (even though in my mindset its apparently ok)

P.s. the reason for wearing a Kirpan is this (it may sound stupid, im sorry but hear me out)

I never really bothered with a Kirpan before.. Untill next year in uni, basically i didnt bother looking at housing for next year untill really late, i just with luck found a house with my friends, problem is its in a horrid run down area (20mins walk from uni .. and its to late to back down).. i have to walk through about 2-3 alleys ways to get to my house from uni, and theres graffitti everywhere, i see gangs of idiotic chavs, and genereally i would just fear for my safety walking home at nights thru those alleys, this is where the idea came from.. i need some sort of protection against <banned word filter activated> chavs with knives if they had 1, and Kirpan fits perfectly into my solution, though i pray i never have to use it .. so you see, its a just in case emergency type of thing.. but i dont wanna be putting too much paahp on my self if i did eat egg and carried a kirpan for example

But all in all my priority is 'my lifes safety' it is greater than 'what paahp i can recieve' :/

some ppl wear a kirpan be4 they take amrit and the est of the kakkars to get used to the lifestyle and keeping the kakkars on their body,

start wearing a sarbloh kirpan it will feel amazing,but pleasse refrain from the 4 bujjar kurehits--eating meat, drinking, cuting hair and commiting adultery

wear it if u are a sehajdhari,

once u wear a kirpan its makin an outside statement that i am Guru Gobind Singh jis son,

so u kno wut i mean, like if u going to parties clubs bars, its no longer acceptable.

Guest harminderkaur

I am going to sound a bit harsh but aren't there other ways to protect yourself? If you want to wear a kirpan before you take amrit so you could fix your rehat to take amrit, it would be perfectly fine. I just don't think you should wear a kirpan because of safety only. ( I know your trying to justifie it but even your own comments are saying safety is the biggest reason, until waheguru is your biggest reason, you aren't ready to wear the kirpan ). There are other means to protect yourself. so why this one? Unless you are ready to commit yourself to waheguru and that is the reason you wear a kirpan, you have no reason to wear it. And even if you do wear a kirpan it well not hold the same meaning as the 5 ks Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave us. It well just be a knife. sorry don't mean to hurt anyone feelings.

A kirpan is for the person wishing to give his/her head, not for a person looking to save his/her a**.

If you are concerned about your safety and are intent on carrying something, and without commenting on the legality or wisdom in such an approach, you can can carry a hammer, a bat, a tire iron, a large screw driver, plastic gun (keep it hidden if the other guy has a real one) etc. You sure a bicep tattoo won't suffice? You can also get a job, or a more shifts etc. and move to a better neighborhood.

If all 5ks are equal, then it follows for a sehajdhari that every kakkar requires equal respect and consideration as to your purpose in making it part of you.

Kudos to you for coming as far as you have. In sum, you deserve to develop a better relationship with the kirpan than what you propose.

I have to agree with the above two posts. I am not an Amritdhari yet and I still believe that you cannot get such an important kakkar without giving your head, You can carry a pocket knife, pepper spray, or just regular knife. Why a Kirpan?

Makes no sense to me.

Guest harminderkaur

P.s. the reason for wearing a Kirpan is this (it may sound stupid, im sorry but hear me out)

I never really bothered with a Kirpan before.. Untill next year in uni, basically i didnt bother looking at housing for next year untill really late, i just with luck found a house with my friends, problem is its in a horrid run down area (20mins walk from uni .. and its to late to back down).. i have to walk through about 2-3 alleys ways to get to my house from uni, and theres graffitti everywhere, i see gangs of idiotic chavs, and genereally i would just fear for my safety walking home at nights thru those alleys, this is where the idea came from.. i need some sort of protection against <banned word filter activated> chavs with knives if they had 1, and Kirpan fits perfectly into my solution, though i pray i never have to use it .. so you see, its a just in case emergency type of thing.. o much paahp on my self but i dont wanna be putting toif i did eat egg and carried a kirpan for example

But all in all my priority is 'my lifes safety' it is greater than 'what paahp i can recieve' :/

never bothered with kirpan? bothered? why bother yourself with it now?

kirpan fits perfectly into my solution? are we suppose to change for waheguru or does he change for us? i am confused please explain.

o much paahp on my self but i dont wanna be putting toif i did eat egg and carried a kirpan for example? you have no self control, are you ready to carry a weapon, if that is how you view a kirpan. you can trust yourself not to eat eggs with kirpan on but you can trust yourself not to raise kirpan for very little thing? We always use kirpan as last resort, have you tried other ways to solve problem?

But all in all my priority is 'my lifes safety' it is greater than 'what paahp i can recieve' :/? the right to wear kirpan is earned by giving your head, you just admited you ain't ready to do that. please find a different something to protect yourself with.

keep it is a shastar, don't worry, just dont wear it outside or show it to others as that would give the impression you are amritdhari which you shouldn't do (especially as you eat meat at the moment). As long as you don't do this I don't see any problem with you wearing it as a shastar. I would say if you wore it it might be the same in shape as other kirpans, but in principle I think its no longer a kirpan but a shastar, so no problemo. I would suggest this one, its actually useable and it doesn't matter its not sarbloh because ur not wearing it as kakkar (although sarbloh does have a lot of shakti) khalsakirpans.com artisan kirpan. Its pricey but better than the blunt stuff you get at gurdwarae.

Guru Mahraj does not want us walking around like sheep whoever we are, one of the main points of the Khalsa revolution in the 1600s was to give everyone the chance to defend themselves, the mughals wanted shastars for only mughals and now amritdharis should certainly not follow suit and keep shastars from those still getting there, your life is worth as much as any amritdharis.

*I do not suggest the use of a kirpan in any situation

I started wearing all 5 kakaars 9 weeks before I took Amrit, to get used to wearing them forever. If you've made up your mind to take Amrit in the very near future, its best to start practicing the Gursikh lifestyle. However, if you're not sure that you'll take Amrit, or when you'll take it, then avoid it for now and give yourself some more time till you are totally certain.

Just my thoughts

dagger%20flame%20ebony-damascus%20collab.%20ray%20smith.JPGI reccomend u get a blade or dagger, i have seen like small ones so maybe same size as a 6 inch kirpan, and u can get it with a belt that goes around your waist,,, iv seen a nihung singh with a dagger + belt on his thigh,,

So it only makes sense for u to wear kirpan if ur gonna stop eating meat and drinking,

Its simple, either u are a sehajdhari-practising sikh, or your still unsure,, in that case dont wear the kirpan, it is Guru Sahibs Beloved gift to his Khalsa-- and it must be kept with utmost respect, so if u eat meat then u touch ur kirpan as to move it to the side, ur doing beadbi straight up.

Go with what state of mind u are in right now, then u can build up ur confidence and strength to become a real sher(Lion) and proudly wear a kirpan on the outside as a symbol of love for your Guru and that u will not tolerate injustice !

i hope u the best veere!

There is little point carrying a shastar if you dont have the training or knowedge on how to use it...in the case of a knife..your more likely to have it taken off you and having it used on you...You do realise should you stab someone with a shastar and not be able to prove justifiable force or self defecne...your likely to go to jail..Hence if you dont know the weapon and it's limitations, uses, boundaries...dont carry one.

Before you carry shastar learn how to respect the shastar, take up the relevant training. You can even use a reasonably large kara as a shastar doesnt have to be a knife, you can use keys...slyh etc.

I recommend you learn self defence and self preservtion, 1stly why cant you find an alternative safer route home through entries..where you know your more likely to end up in a situation...even if the other way is longer...if it's safer use it.