Eating And Living With Person Who Consume Tobacoo

baljeet

I cant reveal the name of individual becuase he is close friend but very great and kind soul from heart. He recently migrated from india to california living with his parents and elder brother. His elder brother smokes tobacoo, chew tobacoo, Drink, meat. Is it sin to live in such family or even drink water from same utensils used by this family? because 1 individual is consuming tobacoo???? I am not sure I have read somwhere that tobacoo is jagat jhoot means its very sinfull to consume tobacoo. No matter how much paath or jaap you do all get vanished if you consume tobacoo or even touch it... Can someone please explain and clarify on this....its very confusing

sad part is his entire family goto gurdwara and regular sikhs if not amritdhari. but no one stops him from such deeds.......its very sad when he try to explain to his mother instead of justifying and telling his elder son. Everyone in his family think he has no right to tell him anything if he does its his life.

What kind of gursikhi and rehat is that????

My sister used to smoke out of her window (we don't live at home!) and when my window was open, the smoke would come into my room. :sad:

I asked her not to do it and to top it off i do my paath loudly to make her feel extra guilty (sorry if that sounds bad!)...it's worked though!! Now that she has to go to the bottom floor and outside (we live in a flat - top floor) she's started smoking less cos she can't be bothered to go all the way outside!! :lol:

We've started eating separately and she's not allowed to cook her meat/eggs in the same pans that i use to make my food. It's not that much of a problem as she respects my way of life.

well believe it or not there are a lot of families who are in the same situation,

all we can do is ardas to maharaj ji to bless our families with gursikhi. They also need support from other gursikhs, as a lot of gursikhs do and can become very judgemental , which shouldnt be the case

we should try to have seperate utensils if possible, obviously not eating from the person as well

In maryada it says that a sikh would never touch tabacco, so that literally means that the person smoking is not and can never be a sikh as long as theysmoke.

here is the maryada, http://damdamitaksaal.org/index.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=80

you will be able to see everything on there