Punjab Is Changing Fast

sarntuhari

Guest andrewlatti

Yes, I've lived and studied in jalandhar for almost 7 years. I also visit punjab every other year with my father. The past means nothing and although the state system might be corrupted but in lesser degree when compared to the past. My cousin goes to panjab university, chandigarh studying law and I can assure you that his background is not of elite class, yet he has been receiving the same attention as anyone else so far. When I say, the state knows best, what I mean is the elected government which can be re-elected therefore eliminating corruption gradually. Money and your faculties are and should be the major factor in determining your status or position in a society. No one wants this, but I wasn't the one asking for a capitalist economy tagged along with democracy.

Are you kidding me? Any minor incident that the Sikh community or any community in Punjab feels has hurt their cultural or religious sentiments, first thing they do is take it to the streets. Vandalizing public property and ingraining fear into rest of the population who are trying to live in peace. I can count several events on my finger tips, such as the recent death of the Baba in austria and the dalit community took it to the streets, and the various incidents related to baba raamrahim. How could people come to such viciousness? asking for justice and taking to the streets is two different acts which produces two different scenarios. justice is through legal matters(surely there are circumstances when one needs to begin a revolution), like a civilized society does, you know in the foreign countries you, me and others live in.

Oh and BTW you can't seperate Sikhism from Punjab because Sikhism created the ground Punjab is on. Read up your history on Khalsa Raaj.

Sorry, I don't mean to attack you personally but were you joking with that statement? Have you not studied the history of punjab, the history of India, the history of all south asia. There is no way on earth that Sikhism created the ground punjab is on. It is a dream that religious folks tend to rely upon even in the United States(christians thinking America was created on the grounds of christianity, hahaha). I cant waste my time to give you history lessons, that is why we have books for cheap on abebooks.com or simply goto a local university and sit through lectures and then maybe, just maybe you might learn something about the history of Punjab or India matter of fact.

Have you ever lived in Punjab? The State knows whats right? The same leaders responsible for killing/ruining lives of many innocent people? And Im not talking about 84, I am talking about now. Money is power and the state does nothing to protect the liberties of the middle and low class. Its all corrupted. Who ever has money to spend recieves all of the facilities. I know this for myself because my family members have been through this.

And you should tell me when and where religious goons have blocked roads and cause problems? Back up your statements. So according to you, no one should have the right to ask for justice because the state is in power?

Oh and BTW you can't seperate Sikhism from Punjab because Sikhism created the ground Punjab is on. Read up your history on Khalsa Raaj.

Yes, I've lived and studied in jalandhar for almost 7 years. I also visit punjab every other year with my father. The past means nothing and although the state system might be corrupted but in lesser degree when compared to the past. My cousin goes to panjab university, chandigarh studying law and I can assure you that his background is not of elite class, yet he has been receiving the same attention as anyone else so far. When I say, the state knows best, what I mean is the elected government which can be re-elected therefore eliminating corruption gradually. Money and your faculties are and should be the major factor in determining your status or position in a society. No one wants this, but I wasn't the one asking for a capitalist economy tagged along with democracy.

Are you kidding me? Any minor incident that the Sikh community or any community in Punjab feels has hurt their cultural or religious sentiments, first thing they do is take it to the streets. Vandalizing public property and ingraining fear into rest of the population who are trying to live in peace. I can count several events on my finger tips, such as the recent death of the Baba in austria and the dalit community took it to the streets, and the various incidents related to baba raamrahim. How could people come to such viciousness? asking for justice and taking to the streets is two different acts which produces two different scenarios. justice is through legal matters(surely there are circumstances when one needs to begin a revolution), like a civilized society does, you know in the foreign countries you, me and others live in.

Sorry, I don't mean to attack you personally but were you joking with that statement? Have you not studied the history of punjab, the history of India, the history of all south asia. There is no way on earth that Sikhism created the ground punjab is on. It is a dream that religious folks tend to rely upon even in the United States(christians thinking America was created on the grounds of christianity, hahaha). I cant waste my time to give you history lessons, that is why we have books for cheap on abebooks.com or simply goto a local university and sit through lectures and then maybe, just maybe you might learn something about the history of Punjab or India matter of fact.

Well I am also talking from experience and not just making things up. I dont want to reveal personal info but right now, my whole family, grandparents are fighting cases for their property which has been taken from them by a rich judge through fraud. If the government really cares for the properties and liberties of the citizens then the corrupt people on high posts with money won't be harrassing innocent public. This man needs to be taken out of office but no one is helping them and its been years. And I am pretty sure my family is not the only one who has to struggle with their properties.

Religion being brought down to streets? Ram Rahim is your example? He is nothing but a government puppet. This is another example of corruption and power. This man has had many cases on him, murder, rape etc. but he always gets out scot free. Why? Because he has power in the Government.

And when I say that religion and state cannot be seperated is by focusing solely on religious beliefs. The Akal Takht Sahib was created by our Guru Ji to put Miri and Piri together. A form of organized government for the Sikhs. "Raj Bina Nahin Dharam Chale Hain, Dharam Bina Sabh Dalle Malle Hain" even Guru Gobind Singh Ji has linked government with religion. I have no means of hurting anyone's sentiments but looking at how democracy is in Punjab, it clearly isn't working. Not just Punjab, all over India. But then again, if Government and Religion gets mixed in the existence of wrong people, it may just turn into Taliban rule. So it goes both ways.

Anyways what I'm trying to say is that you can't say that the Government in Punjab is not corrupt at all and that its not messing with the common man.

But then again, I am just a foolish Sikh, I might not have my facts right but I am just speaking solely on personal experiences.

Oh and I personally don't believe that religion is being mixed with politics, its politics, bringing religion into their campaigns etc. and exploiting it to meet their own needs. If religion had controlled politics, then Punjab would have been waay different.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Guest andrewlatti

LOL Experience is limited, so lets not base our whole conversation on experiences. Cases like your own family's case are very common not just in punjab, but in the entire country, where an elite member of the society covet another's personal property and I dont doubt that the government is doing whatever they can in order to bring justice. Like I said getting rid of corruption is a gradual process and it will take time.

If I am aware Ram rahim never had a register complaint before the Sikh attacks in official "language". There might've been rumors about him committing rape or murder, but hurting the sentiments of Sikhs was his first case. correct me if I am wrong.

And when I say that religion and state cannot be seperated is by focusing solely on religious beliefs. The Akal Takht Sahib was created by our Guru Ji to put Miri and Piri together. A form of organized government for the Sikhs. "Raj Bina Nahin Dharam Chale Hain, Dharam Bina Sabh Dalle Malle Hain" even Guru Gobind Singh Ji has linked government with religion. I have no means of hurting anyone's sentiments but looking at how democracy is in Punjab, it clearly isn't working. Not just Punjab, all over India. But then again, if Government and Religion gets mixed in the existence of wrong people, it may just turn into Taliban rule. So it goes both ways.

Is that not narrow minded now when you focus solely on religious beliefs? Lets look at the history of Akal Takht Sahib and try to see the connection it had during the 17th century with the mughal empire. Now looking at a simple wikipedia article on your guru, it states in the beginning "From the very beginning he was the deadly enemy of Mughals." Even if it was me, I would have come up with a same institution in order to protect my property and my subjects. Please this guy was no guru, although a very smart man who had an ambition to built his own empire, but failed horribly. After Guru Nanak Dev jee, sikhism became just "another" religion and it was hijacked by all those who made fools out of people for the purpose of self-perpetuating. Anyway lets not get into this but capitalism and democracy are working fine so far in punjab, in fact punjab is better then it was ever before, looking at government statistics. LINK The only need in punjab is now to bring agrarian reform to boost farming techniques in order to produce more food. Heavy production of food is money and good investment for the state.

Read up on things if you want prosperity in Punjab. Get out of the religious mind and open yourself to other things if you really want to help punjab. Change is through education and education is POWER. I am assuming you are still young, may be in high school and that is alright. But dont hesitate to change your viewpoints when needed.

Well I am also talking from experience and not just making things up. I dont want to reveal personal info but right now, my whole family, grandparents are fighting cases for their property which has been taken from them by a rich judge through fraud. If the government really cares for the properties and liberties of the citizens then the corrupt people on high posts with money won't be harrassing innocent public. This man needs to be taken out of office but no one is helping them and its been years. And I am pretty sure my family is not the only one who has to struggle with their properties.

Religion being brought down to streets? Ram Rahim is your example? He is nothing but a government puppet. This is another example of corruption and power. This man has had many cases on him, murder, rape etc. but he always gets out scot free. Why? Because he has power in the Government.

Anyways what I'm trying to say is that you can't say that the Government in Punjab is not corrupt at all and that its not messing with the common man.

But then again, I am just a foolish Sikh, I might not have my facts right but I am just speaking solely on personal experiences.

Oh and I personally don't believe that religion is being mixed with politics, its politics, bringing religion into their campaigns etc. and exploiting it to meet their own needs. If religion had controlled politics, then Punjab would have been waay different.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Andrew latti bro, First you need to study history of punjab from unbiased source. Students from India or the one who studied there are influenced by indian school of thought. If you studied in India or in Punjab, how often did you read about Sham Singh Attariwala or Hari Singh Nalwa or Bhai Randhir Singh who spent 17 yrs in jail for freedom??.. NONE Point me one book or even a single page of any high school syllabus (whether cbse, icse, punjab board) where proper credit is given to right ppl ???

Gross injustice for sikhs in punjab and to punjabis as well. Read "Anandpur Sahib" resolution and most of the stuff in there is not only for betterment of Sikhs but for PUNJABIS general. Did you care to read how federal/central government snatch away water/farm resources from Punjab (the only economic backbone of punjab)? Only Punjab is the state where natural resources are being in control of delhi.. Is that Sikh Issue? Why only sikhs seek this justice? Did you ever see other punjabi (non-sikh) asking for this right? Talking about Education System.. Punjab is now ranked 2nd last from the bottom. There were time when education system of Punjab was ranked top position in south east asia.

Now bro, don't tell me that i am stuck with old school thought and be open minded. There is no way that Sikhs of Punjab are at or below 60% (you may have got that figure from wikipedia or other "indian" census bureau). Most of the Punjabis from rural area do not participate in census of any kind. Read how punjabi speaking rights was taken away from punjab and haryana was created. Tell me why Hindu Punjabis declared their mother language in 60's as "Hindi" when in fact they only know to speak/write/hear Punjabi. That betrayal created another partition of punjab.

Study sikh rule under Maharaja Ranjit Singh who was the only king/ruler that treated everyone equal. Sikhs are not backward, greedy and selfish type ppl, WE know how to run things in most modern liberal yet conservative fashion.

LOL Experience is limited, so lets not base our whole conversation on experiences. Cases like your own family's case are very common not just in punjab, but in the entire country, where an elite member of the society covet another's personal property and I dont doubt that the government is doing whatever they can in order to bring justice. Like I said getting rid of corruption is a gradual process and it will take time.

If I am aware Ram rahim never had a register complaint before the Sikh attacks in official "language". There might've been rumors about him committing rape or murder, but hurting the sentiments of Sikhs was his first case. correct me if I am wrong.

Is that not narrow minded now when you focus solely on religious beliefs? Lets look at the history of Akal Takht Sahib and try to see the connection it had during the 17th century with the mughal empire. Now looking at a simple wikipedia article on your guru, it states in the beginning "From the very beginning he was the deadly enemy of Mughals." Even if it was me, I would have come up with a same institution in order to protect my property and my subjects. Please this guy was no guru, although a very smart man who had an ambition to built his own empire, but failed horribly. After Guru Nanak Dev jee, sikhism became just "another" religion and it was hijacked by all those who made fools out of people for the purpose of self-perpetuating. Anyway lets not get into this but capitalism and democracy are working fine so far in punjab, in fact punjab is better then it was ever before, looking at government statistics. LINK The only need in punjab is now to bring agrarian reform to boost farming techniques in order to produce more food. Heavy production of food is money and good investment for the state.

Read up on things if you want prosperity in Punjab. Get out of the religious mind and open yourself to other things if you really want to help punjab. Change is through education and education is POWER. I am assuming you are still young, may be in high school and that is alright. But dont hesitate to change your viewpoints when needed.

Why would you use '- Now looking at a simple wikipedia article on your guru .... Can i ask what is your religious belief? Since you are barking for right perspectives and honest opinion, dont run away from this question with lame excuses. (Can the Admin check the IP and confirm he is not a troll or sock puppet ?)

About Ram Rahim there were numerous cases he was facing particularly regarding rape of his female followers before he got mired in controversy with Sikhs. He is a very small fish by the way, certainly not as big as he or the media would like you to believe. And now it seems he is without political patronage as well.

And i wont comment on your knowledge about History of Punjab. If it wasnt for Sikhs you would be crowing like a crow atop a tower five times a day and your beautiful sister or cousin would be in some mullahs bed.

And did you use the term 'agriculture'? DYK it was a Sikh general who gave shape to what agriculture is today in Punjab. Punjab abolished Zamindari system long before rest of India did, the gap is a few hundered years though!

Also list the 'local born and bred' rulers of Punjab who contributed to its prosperity in the past millenium. Theres not a single non-Sikh!!

Excuse me? Wow the disscussion about Punjab was resonable but you have NO RIGHT to say anything wrong about our Guru. How can you have the audacity to come on a Sikh forum and badmouth our Guru? Now I fully understand your tactics. Spread hate against a religion on their website. Wow people like you have nothing other to do except make fools out of themselves and disrespect other religons. And he failed horribly? No Guru Ji did not fail horribly, the khalsa raj was intact until the British took over after Maharaja Ranjit Singh. So then How did Guru Hargobind Ji fail in his attempt? Read up on history before you come up on a forum and disrespect members and more importantly their Guru. You give respect to Guru Nanak Dev Ji but fail to understand that the light of Guru Nanak Dev Ji was in Guru Hargobind Ji. If you didn't want to get into this then maybe you shouldn't have mentioned it.

And for your statement about going off of personal experiences, personal experiences are the common man's thoughts. But no people like you will just go off of the Government records. Does anyone go out to listen to the common man and his problems? And when they are stated, it is hard to accept them.

This thread needs to be closed because it is just leading to Beadbi by an ignorant person ruining a normal conversation.

If you noticed, you are the only one arguing on this whole thread for stupid reasons.

Guest andrewlatti

I dont have any religious beliefs beside that I am a being. I am not a troll or anything, but working on a thesis related to Naxalite movement in Punjab. So I though why not check the environment of punjab/Sikhs on a forum.

And i wont comment on your knowledge about History of Punjab. If it wasnt for Sikhs you would be crowing like a crow atop a tower five times a day and your beautiful sister or cousin would be in some mullahs bed.

Historically we've all had our sisters and mothers in bed if you want to look from such perspective. Even if the Sikhs were not to protect anyone, we might have been muslims, so what? Hasn't a lot changed from indus valley until today. Well great that zamindari system was abolished by a Sikh long before. I just used the term agriculture to bring my point forward and not put sikhs down. All though a sikh might have been able to abolished the zamindari system, but agriculture has existed in punjab for thousands of years. Its nothing new.

Also list the 'local born and bred' rulers of Punjab who contributed to its prosperity in the past millenium. Theres not a single non-Sikh!!

I dont understand what your point is?

Guest andrewlatti

I apologize I didn't mean to go that far but when you keep bringing religion in to punjab discussion I lost it. I am sorry. I didn't curse him or anything, i was stating historical facts. lol sorry sorry. I am trying to learn, just relax. I am arguing what I know so far about Punjab for my thesis.

Excuse me? Wow the disscussion about Punjab was resonable but you have NO RIGHT to say anything wrong about our Guru. How can you have the audacity to come on a Sikh forum and badmouth our Guru? Now I fully understand your tactics. Spread hate against a religion on their website. Wow people like you have nothing other to do except make fools out of themselves and disrespect other religons. And he failed horribly? No Guru Ji did not fail horribly, the khalsa raj was intact until the British took over after Maharaja Ranjit Singh. So then How did Guru Hargobind Ji fail in his attempt? Read up on history before you come up on a forum and disrespect members and more importantly their Guru. You give respect to Guru Nanak Dev Ji but fail to understand that the light of Guru Nanak Dev Ji was in Guru Hargobind Ji. If you didn't want to get into this then maybe you shouldn't have mentioned it.

And for your statement about going off of personal experiences, personal experiences are the common man's thoughts. But no people like you will just go off of the Government records. Does anyone go out to listen to the common man and his problems? And when they are stated, it is hard to accept them.

This thread needs to be closed because it is just leading to Beadbi by an ignorant person ruining a normal conversation.

If you noticed, you are the only one arguing on this whole thread for stupid reasons.