Punjab Is Changing Fast

sarntuhari

Failure of the Sikh clergy at highest level to define what a Sikh is this is why many Sikhs feel alienated from the faith in their hearts they belong to. Since SGPC was formed it has sort to only accept Khalsa's as Sikhs. Leaving 80% of the Sikh population who are sajhejdhari's without any guidence or motivation to be active in religious activities. This is why the youth now across the globe perfer going clubbing than attending gurdwara because no one is catering for those who are non-khalsa's or keshdhari's.

Remove SGPC from the reins of power, redefine who is a Sikh and you wont have a problem with the Sikh population and changing demographics, because Sikhism is common sense.

Punjab is being raped from its resources by outsiders. Huge decline of culture, language & history. In next 20 years Punjab will be left with no water & no trees.

Totally agree (regarding decline of culture and language). It is as if there is no more pride in being a Punjabi anymore, no more pride in our history and culture. These things can be of immense value as an experience and in identification with each other. But please be under no impression that Punjabi culture and language is any safer abroad here. Very often I notice this "holier than thou" attitude in Sikhs living outside the Punjab in the sense that they are maintaining their culture and language better than the ones in Punjab. But this not true practically. ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਸਾਨੂੰ ਆਪ ਮਹਿਨਤ ਅਤੇ ਯਤਨ ਕਰਨੇ ਚਾਹੀਦੇ ਹਨ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਵਿਰਸੇ ਅਤੇ ਭਾਸ਼ਾ ਨੂੰ ਕਾਇਮ ਰੱਖਣ ਲਈ, ਫ਼ੇਰ ਦੂਜਿਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਸਿੱਖਿਆ ਦੇਣੀ ਚਾਹੀਦੀ ਹੈ।

Okay, be honest, how many of all the Sikhs here, who are in Europe and NA, can speak, read, write *and* type Punjabi properly?

There is one more thing. I have noticed another practice amongs Punjabis living abroad. They try to freeze their culture and its knowledge to the levels which they had when they left the Punjab. That is just not practical. Cultures and languages change and evolve.

I have not noticed as much corruption in Punjabi language as among Sikhs and Punjabis aboard. They usually belong to a rural demography who did not formally learn Punjabi in schools back in India or even abroad and have since then taught their street Punjabi to their children. Example: most of the Punjabis I have met abroad say "ਸ਼ੇ" instead of the correct word "ਛੇ" (meaning "six"), or say "ਬਿਆਹ" instead of the correct word "ਵਿਆਹ" (meaning "wedding"). When I try to correct them, they usually are in denial or just refuse to accept the correction. What is the effect? They try to freeze their spoken and written language to "preserve" their culture, while actually corrupting it to no end and thus causing more damage to the language!

Ludhiana is bombarded by migrants from Bihar and Hindus no longer fear Sikhs in Amritsar.

What's wrong in migrants working in the Punjab? It is a free democratic country. Even if it were not, the practice would nevertheless be in conformance with Sikhi values. This kind of xenophobia is only spread by racists, independent of geographical location. You can replace "Punjab" with any other place and "migrants from Bihar" with any group of people and you have the most common form of racism.

Also, why should migrants and Hindu's fear Sikhs? This misguided sensationalist and extremist view is what is one main thing wrong with some "Sikhs". In Sikh religion, all religions are accorded equal respect. One of our own gurus gave his life for the right of people to practice religion of their own free choice! If we have not learned anything even from that historic sacrifice, then we have failed as Sikhs, no matter how many paaths we do or how long our beard is or how sharp our shastar is. All these symbols just show hypocrisy if we haven't learned the lessons in our hearts and minds.

Guest andrewlatti

so you placed all 3 million muslims of england in a 8 minute "paki gang related" video....Cool!! get your head out of your <banned word filter activated> and try to understand circumstances and situations before coming to lame solutions.

andrew your last post is completely lame !!

Please watch ALL of this video of normal muslim people who are not terrorists, just look at there ideology - views towards jews etc.

With all respect to you, your last post is complete rubbish and inaccurate.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xE7Xng1FEz0

ANDREW out of 3 million i would say this video represents at least 50% (possibly even 80%)....Had you been brought up and lived in muslim area such as myself you would have had more knowledge -

manchester,luton,leeds oldham bradford all of bham london areas such as southall brixton wembley,leicester derby, wolverhampton glasgow - muslim youth are all the same when it comes to issues facing there religion/culture: just look at all the muslim v EDL protests what do you see ??

iV'E ALSO TAKEN YOUR PERSONAL ATTACK ON ME SERIOUSLY AND THUS FORGIVE BUT WISH TO REFRAIN FROM CONVERSING WITH YOU.

''GOOD BYE, GOOD LUCK, AND GOD BLESS''

Simple - Sikhs are the majority in Punjab (80%?). If central government has problem with sikh religion then it means that they have problem with Punjab. To resolve anything or to uplift/make any progress in punjab, one must know NOT TO offend/suppress the majority.

Migrant workers should not be allowed to settle in Punjab (buy property + Vote) until when other states allow Punjabis to buy land in their states. There are many strict rules in some states where punjabi cannot buy land. Slap heavy tax on corporation who hire non-punjabis over punjabis. Punjab got very high unemployement rate if compared with other states, so there is no point of hiring non-punjabi workers. Corporations are greedy and they are paying nothing to biharis or bhaeyyaas.. Point is not to hit common man but to corps who are making millions yet paying nothing in taxes nor anything to punjab work force.

Guest andrewlatti

Sikhs are not 80% of the population anymore. They are 60 percent and the hindus are around 35%. What sort of problem would a state have with a religious community? Ohhh geeze the same religious people who block roads for foolish reasons. I think its time to separate Sikhism from Punjab, in a sense that religion should have no power whatsoever over Punjab's economic and political affairs. The central govt.'s job is to keep up with the status quo, not to be enemies of any particular group. To make any progress the state knows what is best for the citizens because they have various intelligent economics and political scientists working for them, whereas religious goons are amplifying the problems by blocking roads and doing other foolish things. I am not saying that Sikhs should have no voice, but they need to know that the state is in power not a religious group. Its a democracy, not a theocracy. Whether Sikhs are the majority does not mean they can do whatever they consider right and suppress the rest of the population with their so called "religious duties". So if state has a problem with Sikhs, then the state has a problem with Sikhs, not with Punjab. These are two independent entities separable from each other, but connected only with a historical incorporeality.

I am going to have to completely agree with the migrant workers being hired over the punjabi workers. But i also disagree with your land and citizen rights of those migrant workers. Every migrant worker has the right to arrive in a capitalist system and work hard to achieve the best. It is state's duty to protect the rights of every citizen whether they are from another part of the country and these migrants have the full right to vote and buy property if they are part of the labor force in punjab. Now the concern is whether the money they are earning is being sent to their home state, then an action can be taken and high taxes can be appended to their earnings with other clauses which will coerce them to adopt to a new home by adhering to all laws the punjabis are under. I believe my uncle has a lot of land in uttar pradesh and although he has experienced discrimination doesn't give us the right to discriminate other human beings, especially those who are not in any way are directly connected with the perpetrators in other states.

Corporations are very much greedy, no wonder cities in punjab are being turn in to a new mode of labor force. One of the biggest problems for the govt. to tax corporations(even in the United States) is the fear of unemployment. The corporation can stop building anytime they are faced with a problem from the state and move their plans to another state, and in order to keep the corporations and the job flux in consistency the state must do everything they can to keep the big guys. Our punjabis are so egotistic that they are not willing to work like bhaiyas and especially people with village backgrounds are very lazy now days. I feel the bhaiyas deserve the best and the state is well aware with the need of migrant workers in punjab. I feel the govt. should hit the common man because for so long people have been hiding under the bed and not paying their shares of taxes and its time that everyone who is working should pay the right amount and of course the corp. must pay tax, more tax that is.

Simple - Sikhs are the majority in Punjab (80%?). If central government has problem with sikh religion then it means that they have problem with Punjab. To resolve anything or to uplift/make any progress in punjab, one must know NOT TO offend/suppress the majority.

Migrant workers should not be allowed to settle in Punjab (buy property + Vote) until when other states allow Punjabis to buy land in their states. There are many strict rules in some states where punjabi cannot buy land. Slap heavy tax on corporation who hire non-punjabis over punjabis. Punjab got very high unemployement rate if compared with other states, so there is no point of hiring non-punjabi workers. Corporations are greedy and they are paying nothing to biharis or bhaeyyaas.. Point is not to hit common man but to corps who are making millions yet paying nothing in taxes nor anything to punjab work force.

To make any progress the state knows what is best for the citizens because they have various intelligent economics and political scientists working for them, whereas religious goons are amplifying the problems by blocking roads and doing other foolish things. I am not saying that Sikhs should have no voice, but they need to know that the state is in power not a religious group. Its a democracy, not a theocracy. Whether Sikhs are the majority does not mean they can do whatever they consider right and suppress the rest of the population with their so called "religious duties". So if state has a problem with Sikhs, then the state has a problem with Sikhs, not with Punjab. These are two independent entities separable from each other, but connected only with a historical incorporeality.

Have you ever lived in Punjab? The State knows whats right? The same leaders responsible for killing/ruining lives of many innocent people? And Im not talking about 84, I am talking about now. Money is power and the state does nothing to protect the liberties of the middle and low class. Its all corrupted. Who ever has money to spend recieves all of the facilities. I know this for myself because my family members have been through this.

And you should tell me when and where religious goons have blocked roads and cause problems? Back up your statements. So according to you, no one should have the right to ask for justice because the state is in power?

Oh and BTW you can't seperate Sikhism from Punjab because Sikhism created the ground Punjab is on. Read up your history on Khalsa Raaj.