"The Gift Of Life To Kali" In The Ggs

Hello,

I am writing an essay on the Raag Gond, and on page 874, Namdev is talking about the various figures in Hindu mythology who were redeemed and whom were not. I am having trouble with the reference to Kali. It says "The Lord, who killed Kaysee and Kans, gave the gift of life to Kali."

Does anyone know, is this talking about the goddess Kali or the demon Kali or another one? And what is the story referenced? In what situation was Kali given life??

Thank you so much. My research is not turning up anything.

LaChelle, Claremont Graduate University

Hello,

I am writing an essay on the Raag Gond, and on page 874, Namdev is talking about the various figures in Hindu mythology who were redeemed and whom were not. I am having trouble with the reference to Kali. It says "The Lord, who killed Kaysee and Kans, gave the gift of life to Kali."

Does anyone know, is this talking about the goddess Kali or the demon Kali or another one? And what is the story referenced? In what situation was Kali given life??

Thank you so much. My research is not turning up anything.

LaChelle, Claremont Graduate University

Hello there,

Thanks for the question, it just shows how sometimes the English translations we find are very incomplete.

So the Kali that is being referenced here is not the Goddess Kali, but rather this deals with the stories of Sri Krishna, and how He killed Kaysee and Kans.

The Kali is here Kali Naag, the black [kali] serpent [naag]. The story of Sri Krishna and Kali Naag can be found in the 10th Chapter of the Bhagvat Puran, the Dasam Skhanda, or you can read a translation of Guru Gobind Singh Ji's writings which also talk about the story, click this link to read the translations -> http://www.sridasam....tion=Page&p=687

Hope this answer is helpful, be sure to take a look at the link above to read about Sri Krishna and Kali Naag.

Sorry forgot to add Kaysee and Kans are demons who Sri Krishna Bhagvan destroyed.