Meat Being Served In Langar

Guest Mr Singh

As a member of the Guru Tegh Bhadur Sahib Gurdwara: -

Just for the record, meat has NEVER been served as Langar by the Guru Tegh Bhadur Sahib Gurdwara, Southampton.

The rumour (which has escalated unbelievably)stems from the fact that the Gurdwara Sahib did allow for meat to be prepared for weddings, etc. However this was NEVER Langar.

The Gurdwara were officially sent a notice approximately 10 years ago informing them that this was a violation of Akal Takht Sahib's Sandesh. On receiving this notice, the Gurdwara Sahib have stopped the preparation of meat on its premises and have got their act together, thankfully.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguu Ji Ki Fateh

p.s the address for the Gurdwara Sahib is: -

St. Marks Rd

Southampton, SO14 0NW

Tel: 023 8039 3440

but before you write or call please have a genuine idea of what has actually occured at the Gurdwara Sahib, before you are made to look foolish.

As a member of the Guru Tegh Bhadur Sahib Gurdwara: -

Just for the record, meat has NEVER been served as Langar by the Guru Tegh Bhadur Sahib Gurdwara, Southampton.

The rumour (which has escalated unbelievably)stems from the fact that the Gurdwara Sahib did allow for meat to be prepared for weddings, etc. However this was NEVER Langar.

The Gurdwara were officially sent a notice approximately 10 years ago informing them that this was a violation of Akal Takht Sahib's Sandesh. On receiving this notice, the Gurdwara Sahib have stopped the preparation of meat on its premises and have got their act together, thankfully.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguu Ji Ki Fateh

p.s the address for the Gurdwara Sahib is: -

St. Marks Rd

Southampton, SO14 0NW

Tel: 023 8039 3440

but before you write or call please have a genuine idea of what has actually occured at the Gurdwara Sahib, before you are made to look foolish.

Thanks for the response. What about the Gurdwara owned hall across the road? Is meat still allowed to be served in there? According to the local community meat is allowed to be served on the morning of weddings.

This is more than just a rumour and regardless of your classification of langar, if the bacon and eggs were prepared or served in the Gurdwara langar hall then it's likely to have been interpreted as langar

The above video was taken in 2006, around 4 years ago, and the Sandesh was issued in 2006. Therefore I don't think your statement claiming the beadbi stopped 10 years ago holds true.

Nevertheless, "if" as you claim this practice has actually stopped then a signed statement from the Gurdwara committee clearly stating that they will adhere to the Akal Takht Hukumnama and will be most helpful in ensuring the committee do not look "foolish", something along the lines of:

[On the letterhead of Gurdwara]

"We, the Gurdwara Tegh Bahadur Sahib-Southampton Trustees, Committee Members and local community, hereby provide this written confirmation to the UK Sangat that we will abide by the Akal Takhat Sahib Sandesh dated 1 April 2006, and we will not permit parties, meat, tobacco and alcohol on the Gurdwara premises going forwards.

We understand that if we allow meat, tobacco or alcohol, on the Gurdwara premises, this will be deeply offensive to the UK Sangat's sentiments and we will be in flagrant breach of the aforementioned Akal Takhat Sahib Sandesh. Accordingly, the UK Sangat will then be entitled to take whatever action it deems necessary to prevent any such potential Beadbi re-occurring at the Gurdwara."

SIGNED

Authorised representative of Gurdwara Tegh Bahadur Saihb Southampton

Guest southamptonsingh

Have you guys been to the Southampton gurdwara recently?

1. This is a practice that has been banned for a a few years now. The gurdwara no longer allows meat preperation or meat served in the gurdwara premesis.

2. The meat was never served as "langar". Only part of a welcome for a wedding party in the reception hall downstairs.

3. The address and telephone number is not even correct in the video. Shows how upto date this clip is. The gurdwara has not been at clovelly road for over 10 years.

Guest southamptonsingh

Some Singhs visited the Gurdwara last weekend and confirmed from individuals in the local congregation that meat is still allowed to be served in the form of sausages, bacon and eggs as a wedding "breakfast".

As the Gurdwara langar hall is now considered too small to accommodate wedding guest, the wedding "breakfast" has moved to the Gurdwara's annexed hall across the road.

NB this action is still in violation of Akal Takht Sahib's Sandesh of 2006.

It is requested that the UK Sangat urgently start a dialogue with this Committee. As per what Gursa Singh has said above, there has definetly been no official communication made with this Committee.

Gurdwara Tegh Bahadur Sahib

Bhatra Sabha

8 Clovelly Road,

Southampton

SO2 0AU

02380 224 744

They must have been visiting the wrong gurdwara as you still have the wrong address.

Guest southamptonsingh

Some Singhs visited the Gurdwara last weekend and confirmed from individuals in the local congregation that meat is still allowed to be served in the form of sausages, bacon and eggs as a wedding "breakfast".

As the Gurdwara langar hall is now considered too small to accommodate wedding guest, the wedding "breakfast" has moved to the Gurdwara's annexed hall across the road.

NB this action is still in violation of Akal Takht Sahib's Sandesh of 2006.

It is requested that the UK Sangat urgently start a dialogue with this Committee. As per what Gursa Singh has said above, there has definetly been no official communication made with this Committee.

Gurdwara Tegh Bahadur Sahib

Bhatra Sabha

8 Clovelly Road,

Southampton

SO2 0AU

02380 224 744

Last week? It sounds to me like Southamptonbhujngi has some kind of hidden agenda. Meat preparation and serving is moved to a totally unconnected building. Yes the gurdwara own the building but there is no religious significance of this separate hall.

I can guarantee you meat is not served or prepped in the southampton gurudwara anymore.

Last week? It sounds to me like Southamptonbhujngi has some kind of hidden agenda. Meat preparation and serving is moved to a totally unconnected building. Yes the gurdwara own the building but there is no religious significance of this separate hall.

I can guarantee you meat is not served or prepped in the southampton gurudwara anymore.

southamptonsingh,

No hidden agendas here my dear brother.

If the Gurdwara own a building which allows the serving of meat, alcohol, tabacco etc then it's in violation of Sri Akaal Takht Sahib's issued Sandesh.

The meat is served to the sangat in the roop of the wedding guests as a breakfast or lunch in a Gurdwara owned building. It is still the jagir of the Gurdwara regardless of how "unrelated" you make out this building to be.

Please refer to sandesh below which clearly states this

post-1686-099448600 1289303351_thumb.jpg

What hidden agenda? Watch the video again, I have clearly stated that this was filmed in 2006. Sorry if I got the address wrong, however I have not got the issue wrong.

Dont start to play the sympathy card that people have a hidden agenda towards your gurdwara. You have confirmed yourself that the community centre/party hall, which is part of the Gurdwara estate, allows meat and alcohol. This is in direct violation to Akal Takht Maryada and Sandesh 2006.

Sandesh issued by Sri Akal Takht Sahib - April 2006.

As the Sikhs’ supreme authority, Sri Akal Takht Sahib has voiced its concerns by issuing a new 'Sandesh' strongly reinforcing Sikh Rehit Maryada (Sikh Code of Conduct) and Gurmat (Sikh principles) on the following issues:

Any form of intoxicants (alcohol, drugs etc) and preparation or consumption of foods such as meat, fish and eggs are not permitted on Gurdwara property.

• Guru-ka-Langar should be prepared and observed in accordance to Gurus' maryada (tradition).

• No person under the influence of intoxicants is allowed inside Gurdwara property.

• Inside the property of the Guru Sahibs, only the recital of Gurbani, katha, kirtan and reccounting of the Gurus' history are permitted.

Buildings bought or constructed using the Daswand (one tenth of earnings) of the Sikh Sangat or Gurdwara donations are solely to be used to be used for Gurmat purposes and the betterment of society.

• Anand Karajs (Sikh wedding ceremonies) etc must be performed in Gurdwaras in accordance to Gurmat and the Panthic accepted Sikh Rehit Maryada.

• There is no permission granted for dancing and singing or any acts which go against the principles of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Guest SinghWarrior

This committee should take action now to ban meat in all circumstances, otherwise what happened in Grays will also happen at this Southampton Gurdwara. It's quite simple - you're either Sikh and follow Akal Takht Sahib, or you're not, in which case Maharaaj's saroops or Nishan Sahib have no place in this institution.

Guest southamptonsingh

southamptonsingh,

No hidden agendas here my dear brother.

If the Gurdwara own a building which allows the serving of meat, alcohol, tabacco etc then it's in violation of Sri Akaal Takht Sahib's issued Sandesh.

The meat is served to the sangat in the roop of the wedding guests as a breakfast or lunch in a Gurdwara owned building. It is still the jagir of the Gurdwara regardless of how "unrelated" you make out this building to be.

Please refer to sandesh below which clearly states this

Fair enough, didnt know gurdwara related buildings would also be included in this ban. HOwever I would argue this building was bought for the community. NOT for religious purpases. To fall in line with his sandesh, Would it just not make sense to for the commnuty to remove any assosiation with the gurdwara. Ie names, financial assosiation ect.