"Sikh" Model

Is this Acceptable Behaviour?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is Modelling, including potentially revealing poses just another thing we need to come to terms with in dealing with modern society or is it contrary to Sikhi irrespective?

• Yes this sort of modelling undermines the essence of Sikhi
    • No, stop being so fanatical, a Sikh girl should not have to cover up
    • I'm not too sure either way

This really gets on my nerves, why use the term sikh to describe herself? It s nothing but shameless self-opportunism that disgusts me.

It's clearly obvious that she's labelled herself a Sikh to give her a bit of a difference, stand out from the crowd etc etc. She openly talks about her culture to gain sympathy and how difficult it was for her boyfriend to see her pandering about in her underwear.

There really ought to be a sole central voice for Sikhs that sets out clearly that this is not the true actions of a Sikh and the Sikhi is not alligned with this kind of activity.

This encourages other Sikh girls to dress provocatively, forsake their religion (se has no outward nishani of being a Sikh) and also propogates the idea that its ok for men to ogle Sikh women.

http://entertainment.stv.tv/tv/186701-scottish-sikh-harleen-worries-about-britains-next-top-model-culture-backlash/ - vid of her interview on a scottish tv program

Top Model culture backlash

Harleen Kaur Nottay admits she has had an “internal struggle” balancing her cultural beliefs with the modelling competition.

13 July 2010 10:45 GMT

* Comment

Britain’s Next Top Model contestant Harleen admits her journey into the final 14 was plagued with difficulty as worries about a cultural backlash filled her mind.

The 19-year-old hit a stumbling block in episode two after the contestants were tasked with striking a provocative pose for an underwear photo shoot alongside a male model.

Speaking on The Hour, Harleen said: “They said that I could wear the komodo over the underwear so I felt a little bit more comfortable but then the photographer asked me to take it off…the photographer wasn’t aware of how I was feeling.

Scottish Sikh Harleen worries about Britain’s Next Top Model culture backlash

“The designer was there and you could tell by her face that she was thinking ‘oh no’ and that is how I was feeling inside.”

She added: “For our culture, it is quite unusual. You don’t really see Asian models out there in general.

“I am having an internal struggle with with what I have done, with my culture and what my family is going to think and what my boyfriend is going to think and everything, I found it very difficult.”

Despite these worries, Harleen is determined to stay professional and push her concerns to one side, grabbing hold of her once in a lifetime opportunity.

“There is always a dream you have, for me it was modelling, it was something I have always wanted to pursue.

“At the end of the day, I thought ‘I am here, I am doing a job and I have just got to get on with it and set my feelings aside’.”

Aside from the tasks, Harleen was delighted with the input the girls received from supermodel and host of the show Elle Macpherson.

“She is so genuine and so lovely,” she said. “She does care about the individual, she was just lovely.

“Close up, she is just amazing, you think, you hope, you pray that she is not for your own self-esteem but she is just flawless!”

Hometown: Roslin, Midlothian

Brave Harleen cut off all of her long hair right before entering competition. Her dream photo shoot would be at the Taj Mahal or the pyramids in Egypt as her mum is from India and her dad lives in Egypt, but her nightmare would involve going underwater as she nearly drowned when she was three.

Brave Harleen cut off all of her long hair right before entering competition.

besharm kuthi, not only doing that but announcing it to the world. Its also very insulting that the writers are calling her 'brave' for spitting in the face of our shaheeds. She is not a sikh in any sense of the word, needless to say real Sikhs would rather be tortured to death than cut their hair, thats bravery. She needs to take the Kaur out of her name. If she stops presenting herself as a Sikh (which she clearly is NOT), I don't think the community could care less what she does.

THIS is what a Sikh woman looks like!

150px-Maibhago.jpg

To be honest I don't see what anyone could expect to get from the world on turning their back to their Guru.

She added: “For our culture, it is quite unusual. You don’t really see Asian models out there in general.

I wouldn't go so far as to call her a dog, she's using the fact that there aren't many sikhs modelling as her usp, like she's repping sikhs and asians-

Well she doesn't represent sikhs she reps herself, shes adding yet another racial barrier to society by making this comment, who cares if shes black white hispanic,

She's asking for this reaction from people and we're falling for it, it's one of those hardship stories or stories about haters, 'all these people hating on me but I'll still make it,' against all odds.

By talking so much about how diff we are blah blah blah society percieves these differences which are actually illusions as we are all gods children and becomes more divided, fulfilling the wishes of the elite.

I'm asian, she's asian but we're completely different except for the colour of our skin, shes still british, just cuz shes brown does't mean we're anything alike or that she can inspire me, people are inspired by greatness not by skin colour.

Brave Harleen cut off all of her long hair right before entering competition.

:umm: Thats a rather strange thing for her to tell the producers of the show just as they were pondering who to include in the show. Her facebook page pics reveals several years of 'hair-cuting'.

The 19-year-old hit a stumbling block in episode two after the contestants were tasked with striking a provocative pose for an underwear photo shoot alongside a male model.

Speaking on The Hour, Harleen said: “They said that I could wear the komodo over the underwear so I felt a little bit more comfortable but then the photographer asked me to take it off…the photographer wasn’t aware of how I was feeling.

:umm: Thats a rather strange thing for her to say and imply to the media while they (media) ponder what story and personality from the show they should publicise. Her facebook page and several other pics of her at dance shows she has been appearing in for a few years now reveal she's never had such a problem.

Putting aside all other talk was anyone else here as surpirised as I was when her picture was revealed to the media. Somehow, I don't know why, I expected someone at least reasonably pretty for a show with 'supermodel' in the title ? She's actually so ugly it's frightening.

Just 2 be clear I don't have anything against modelling, and I've been friends with models and some of them are the nicest people I've known, the only prob I have is that this girl keeps emphasising how 'asian's won't like what she's doing and all the rest of it, in my eyes shes putting up racial barriers, making asians seem unreasonable without cause to be so.

The only other thing i'd see wrong with it is this connection and any nude shots she would have to do, I don;t agree with her emphasising her race and desire to be an inspiration to asian girls, then go off and do that, if shes gna do that she should have kept her mouth slightly closed.

Maybe you are sick, take some medicine. Will you fanatics stop behaving like Muslims and look at reality. Just because she is modeling you throw her out of Sikhism.

Okaayy then maybe Hard Kaur isn't bad at all, and Mandira Bedi's tattoo was normal too.

Here brother listen to this:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FJXi4dKOmjA

Maybe you'll change your mind about this. And this isn't Muslim mentality this is Modesty which everyone woman should possess. Whether she is a Hindu, Christian, Muslim or a Sikh. There is nothing wrong about modeling, she can do anything she wants to but dont bring Sikhi into it.

Bhull Chuk Maaf

I find it quite disgusting, some of the responses on here. If you wanna blame anyone, blame the parents - she has been brought up her whole life being told she is Sikh by her parents and she seems genuine in the sense that she doesn't have a lot of education about Sikhism. You know, not everywhere in the world has great Sikh education.

Personally, I would say if thats what she wants to do then go ahead and do it. It's her life. She isn't in Sikhi saroop and she hasn't purposely gone and caller herself "Kaur" to diss any of you guys. Theres plenty of girls out there who cut hair, and do a LOT worse than modelling who call themselves Kaur. So she came on TV and calls herself Kaur... do you really think people look at her and think "wow, all Sikhs must be like this?". People aren't that stupid.

Turn on BritAsia and look at some of the GANDH on there. Not only girls, but the guys too. And how come "Hard Kaur" still alive?!