Sikhism Means Nothing To Most Western Punjabi Youth

genie

How do we make it relevant, and reconnect them back into the community. The way I see it the majority of the Sikh population of the west and even in India only go gurdwara on Vaisakhi, weddings or Guru Nanak Ji's birthday. Other times they have no interest to par take in community functions or live up to Sikh moral ideals.

What argument would you use for them to have an interest in the Sikh faith they were born into or have family history of.

Gurfateh Jee,

I have to disagree with your title, the western Sikh youth are way more into Sikhi than those Sikh youth from India. Sikhi in the west is growing but Sikhi (sadly to say) in India is declining.

Sikhs generally around the world take Sikhi for granted, take our Guru for granted. Everything is so easily available, we decide to put it off another day.

One thing i have noticed is that when most Sikh youth from india come to the western world they are in awe and excited that this is london! the UK, the fashion, cars, celebrities, money!

but when most Sikh youth from the west go to india they are in awe and excited that 500-300 years ago our Gurus walked these lands, Battles happened here, the Khalsa was created here, our shaheeds gave their life here for us! wow!

Thats the difference. I think india Sikh youth should take a leaf out of the western world before its too late.

Gurfateh Jee,

I have to disagree with your title, the western Sikh youth are way more into Sikhi than those Sikh youth from India. Sikhi in the west is growing but Sikhi (sadly to say) in India is declining.

Sikhs generally around the world take Sikhi for granted, take our Guru for granted. Everything is so easily available, we decide to put it off another day.

One thing i have noticed is that when most Sikh youth from india come to the western world they are in awe and excited that this is london! the UK, the fashion, cars, celebrities, money!

but when most Sikh youth from the west go to india they are in awe and excited that 500-300 years ago our Gurus walked these lands, Battles happened here, the Khalsa was created here, our shaheeds gave their life here for us! wow!

Thats the difference. I think india Sikh youth should take a leaf out of the western world before its too late.

Thats an interesting observation, similar to how some white/black/hispanic western converts to Sikhism see how Punjabi Sikhs take Sikhism (the faith they was born into) for granted. They are amazed and awed by Sikh scriptures and observe it more to the core messages than your average desi/punjabi Sikhs.

Uk westernised sikh youths may be like that when they go to india but generally when they come back they are like the indians coming to the uk, brainwashed by their cars, clubs, girls and girls by fashion, boys and makeup and parties.

I've seen this with my own eyes here in the Uk with the younger members of my family and friends, instead of thinking about our gurus wen they get back here, their meditation is on these material things and events and what their friends and neighbours are upto.

I only know 2 people at the moment into sikhi and they are older folk. Parents in this country are out of touch aswell and genies spot on when he says many go to the gurdwarra on occasions and thats it.

When my aunt goes to the gurdwarra all she does is gossip with the other older ladies while paath is going on, it's madness.

When adults set such a bad example its not hard to see why kids have become the way they are, kids in my family are always running around downstairs or outside are literally never in the main gurdwarra area.

However ive got to say that lots of kids bought up the right way with a fair amount of sikh eductaion have been corrupted by society aswell so I really have no idea how this is all going to change.

My viewpoint is that I was never educated in sikhi properly and my family is not religious at all, I educated myself more or less and although I was born into a sikh family, I chose sikhi having read up on other religions and seeing sikhi as the best path, so perhaps it is upto the youth to choose and really believe.

Greed and ego also blinds us to what is really beautiful, my cousin once said kirtan is boring and that he preferred newer westernised music, whereas listening to kirtan brings peace to others who have put their greed and ego aside and really listen and feel love for god, these people dont want to hear songs about love for other people, fast cars, rims and money they want to hear songs about love for god.

Everyone knows about god but few read up on religion properly or try and find him, theyre pulled in by maya instead. I really don't know how the youth can be helped any more than punjabi school and these sikhi camps etc going on.

Maybe run a sikh history education programme which can educate kids with a description in timeline form of our gurus lives coupled with their teachings and shift the focus from soley amritdharis to non amritdharis who wish to gain knowledge? Reading about the gurus, one's love for god and recognition of His greatness increases in my belief.

last time i checked i was a western punjabi youth, and sikhism means ALOT to me. lol tongue.gif

LOL same here.

But anyways I do agree a lot with this post. But then again I had some cousins come here from India and they were shocked to see that youth actually went to the Gurdwara on New Years Eve and dont just party. They thought Gurdwara was for Old people. I was shocked when they didn't know what the Anand Sahib Path was. But then again they were from Chandigarh which is different from the rest of Punjab.

Sorry to sound controversal but my personal experience is most people do want to learn about their heritage. But being a mona i am trying to learn but get looked down upon. Ok i am not versed in gurbani but only learnt to read gurmukhi last year. However i have learnt alot about sikh history.

Family educates kids on Sikhi from day 1

GurSikh parchaaraks/kathavaachaks do parchaar day 2

Amrit Sanchaars happen day 3

One addition to the above:

Family educates themselves in depth about Sikhi while also putting this into action through Simran, Seva and Sacrifice - i.e. practically as well, not just a literature review :p. Thus practicing what they preach - i.e. no double standards. Day 0

You can't build a 'house' without strong foundations. :BL: