Why We Sikhs Are Required To Follow These ?

When we receive amrit , panj pyare also tell us that we should not eat / drink "jhoottha" ( half eaten / drunken by someone ) .

why so ? are amritdharis superior in eyes of waheguru than other people ?

secondly , I heard that AKJ and some other sampardas do not eat food cooked by others . They cook their own food , perhaps because not doing so affects their spirituality (?!).

But , Isn't this bahmanvaad for us to follow ? why we cannot eat food cooked by another sikh or non- Sikh healthy person ?

thank you .

bhul chuk maaf

Great Gursikh such as Sant Gurbachan Singh, Baba Deep Singh, Akali Phoola Singh, Bhai Fauja Singh etc kept this lost rehat

The Similarity is that both Gurmat Bibek and Brahmanvad teaches us to discriminate but there is a major difference as well. Gurmat Bibek teaches us to discriminate based on one’s Karma whereas Brahmanvad that we know today preaches discrimination based on birth. Brahmanvad preaches that one is supreme merely because one is born in the family of Brahmans but Gurmat on the other hand preaches that irrespective of one’s family or racial background, one can rise or become holy and pure because of one’s Karma. Gurmat gives no importance to the family background. Gurmat preaches that one is good or bad only because of one's Karma and not because of one's family background.

Brahmans don’t eat from the hands of people of so called low castes because they believe that Brahmans are superior to the people of other castes whereas the Gurmat Bibeki on the other hand considers himself to be the dust of everyone’s feet. He keeps dietary Bibek not because he considers himself to be superior to others but because he is obeying the hukam (order) of the Guru.

It is the order of our Guru Sahib to associate only with Gurmat devotees and to avoid bad company. Bad company is defined as the company of such persons who are averse to Gurmat path of attaining Vaheguru. Gurmat preaches that one becomes what one’s company is. By associating with Gurmukhs, one gets inclined towards Gurmat and by associating with Manmukhs, one gets manmukhi tendencies.

It is next to impossible to become a Brahman unless one is born into a Brahman family. There is a way to become a Brahman even if one is born into a non-Brahman family but the path is very difficult to achieve. I can think of only two examples where a person was allowed to change his caste. One is Vishwamitra who was born as a Kshatriya but by following years and years of ascetic penances, he was finally accepted as a Brahm-Rishi and a Brahman. This incident occurred thousands of years ago. The most recent example of a person changing his caste is that of Shivaji Maratha who was born in a so called low caste but due to his hard work and good fortune became the ruler of his area. He wanted to be declared a Chatrapati (king) by the religious leaders but none of the religious leaders – the Brahmins - were willing to coronate him a king because he was born into a low caste family. After much effort he found some Brahmins from Kashi who using some clauses from the Hindu scriptures were able to coronate him a Chatrapati and this way changed his caste to that of a Kshatriya.

Now look at Gurmat. Gurmat is so great that anyone, irrespective of caste or race, can become a Khalsa. The conditions are same for Brahmins, Kshatriyas, Vashyas, Shudras, Muslims or whoever. Anyone who is willing to offer his head to the Satguru, can become a Khalsa. Once one is accepted as a Khalsa by Guru Sahib and is given Khande Pahul (Amrit), one becomes equal in status to all other Khalsa brothers and sisters. Two Khalsas, one from a Brahmin background and one from Shudra background hold equal status in the Khalsa Order. One gets a higher status only based on one’s Karma and not based on one’s birth. This is the difference between Gurmat and Brahmanism.

ਖਤ੍ਰੀ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣ ਸੂਦ ਵੈਸ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਚਹੁ ਵਰਨਾ ਕਉ ਸਾਝਾ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪੈ ਉਧਰੈ ਸੋ ਕਲਿ ਮਹਿ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਾਝਾ ॥੪॥੩॥੫੦॥

(The teaching of Naam is same for all four Varna namely Khatriya, Brahman, Shudra and Vaish. Whoever chants the Gurmukh Naam (the Naam of the house of the Guru) in Kalyuga, gets delivered; the Lord resides in the inside of all people)

I can't help but quote the previous two pankitis of this shabad. The pankitis are not related to the topic we are discussing but they are extremely lesson-giving and eye-opening:

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਭਿ ਸਾਸਤ ਇਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਪੜਿਆ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥ ਏਕੁ ਅਖਰੁ ਜੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਾਪੈ ਤਿਸ ਕੀ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਸੋਈ ॥੩॥

(One cannot get salvation reading the Vedas, Katebas ( the 4 holy books of Semetic religions - Quran, Bible, Torah etc.) but one who chants the one indestructible (A-khar, without destruction) Naam through Gurmat (Gurmukh) because extremely praiseworthy).

At my workplace, many years ago, two Brahmins were my co-workers. Once, I went to the kitchen to get water and I saw them standing there ahead of me. After they used the tap, I washed the tap with soap before using it. Normally, when I wash the tap, I try to do it when no one is watching but that day I washed it in front of them. They got upset and remarked, “Arey tum apne aap ko hum se bhee baRa samajhte ho? Tum jante nahi ke hum Brahmin hain?” (You consider yourself superior than us? Don’t you know that we are Brahmins?)

I sensed haume (pride) in them and in order to break it, answered back in similar tone, “Aray Brahmin baRe honge aap ke Maharashtra mein. Hamare Punjab mein to Brahmin log, hamaare gharo mein rotiyaan banaate hain.” (Brahmins may be superior in your province of Maharashtra. In Punjab, Brahmins can be seen making rotis at our houses(in houses of normal Punjabi farmer households) during marriages and other big events)

Indeed this is true. The status of Brahmins in Punjab is not as high as other provinces where Brahmins were worshipped. This is all because of influence of Gurmat in Punjab. Still there is an effect of caste system lingering in Sikh Punjabi households but it is nearly not as bad as it is in other non-Sikh provinces of India.

Anyway, coming back to the topic, we must realize that we must follow Gurmat. If there is a similarity between a certain principle of Gurmat and Islam or Hinduism, it does not mean we should reject such Hukam of Guru Sahib. Sikhi preaches good moral character and if some other religion too preaches such character, it does not mean that we should become all defensive. If there is a similarity between a certain Gurmat Hukam and Brahmanical principle or Islamic principle, we don't need to discredit such Hukam of Guru Sahib.

Kulbir Singh

More evidence for keeping rehat http://tapoban.org/langar.html

Isn't this bahmanvaad for us to follow ? why we cannot eat food cooked by another sikh or non- Sikh healthy person ?

yes it is bahmanwaad for sikhs to do this, especially if they refuse Guru ka langar to keep up this pretence.

Did Sant Gurbachan Singh or Akali Phoola Singh ever refuse Guru ka langar?

Yes i 100% believe Sant Gurbachan Singh wouldn't accept such Langar, in those times Langar was made by Amritdharis everybody was Amritdhari, because that's how it was then. It wasn't like how Western Gurdwara are today.

Sant Kartar Singh Bhindranwale had very strict attitude towards bibek. Here are a couple stories about this:

Sant Kartar Singh & the Alcoholic Driver

Sant Kartar Singh Bhindranwale went on parchar missions not just inside Punjab but all across India including Calcutta and Bombay. Sant Kartar Singh would not eat food from the home of a manmukh. Only an amritdhari family could prepare the food for him. But it must be noted that if any family, be they Sikh or Punjabi, even if they were not amritdhari, wished to meet Sant jee, he would certainly go and encourage them to chhak amrit.

During Sant jee's program in Bombay, a Punjabi Sikh (who was a truck driver) asked Sant jee to visit his home. Sant jee gave him a time he would arrive.

When that Punjabi Sikh left, other Singhs told Sant jee that he drank a lot of liquor and he also cut his hair and so it was best if Sant jee did not go to such a bujjer kurehitee's home. It is important to note here that the Punjabi Sikh driver was quite poor and barely earned enough to eat twice a day. However the driver's wife had complete faith in Guru Sahib. When she heard from other Sikh bibian that Sant jee was coming to Bombay, she pressed her husband to ask Sant jee to come to their home. She thought that if a Chardi Kala Singh who read bani would come to their home, perhaps everything would change for them. The truck driver had no interest in meeting Sant jee but upon being pressed, he invited Sant jee. When he returned home that day, he said to his wife, "That Sant does big programs and people beg him to come to their homes. What is he going to get by coming to our poor house?"

Arrival at the Home & Promise

The next day at the set time, Sant jee along with the other Singhs arrived at the home. Seeing them, the driver left his home and hid at the neighbours. He was afraid that if Sant jee saw he was an alcoholic he may receive a curse.

The wife however immediately put a washed sheet on the bed and asked Sant jee to take a seat. Sant jee sat down and saw that the wife was quickly warming milk. He called out, "Bibi! First call your husband. We'll drink milk later."

She went to the neighbour's home and convinced her husband to come. Sant jee asked both to sit in front of him and he asked the driver, "Brother, what do you want to talk about?"

Instead of speaking, the driver put his hands together and hung his head. The wife however, with folded hands said with humility, "jee, our home is very poor. My husband spends more on liquor than what he earns. He doesn't even say Vahiguru nor does he go to Sangat. Please bless our family."

The driver shrunk ever further down and thought to himself that Sant jee will surely curse him now. Sant jee picked up his long arrow and lightly tapped the driver on the head and said, "well brother, what's your name?"

The driver replied, "jee, Piara…"

"Brother, it's not enough to be just Piara (beloved), you're going to have to become Guru Ka Piara (Guru's beloved). You have to chhak amrit and become a Singh. Become Piara Singh, the Guru's son. In the future you are not to even think about liquor. You must stay away from the bujjer kurehits and adopt Sikhi. Both of you should chhak amrit and have your children also do the same. Go to Gurdwara every day. By listening to katha and kirtan, wash your sins and whenever there is a Satsangat nearby, go there along with your children. Vahiguru will himself have mercy on you. When you become tyar-bar-tyar then I will certainly take milk at your home."

Both husband and wife promised to chhak amrit soon and Sant jee himself stood and did the ardaas. Jaikaras were shouted at the end.

Today, in short, Piara Singh does seva in the Punj Pyaray when amrit sinchaars take place in Bombay. Along with Sikh, great success came to his home and his business increased many fold.

Letter to Bhai Amrik Singh

02.jpg

Shahid Bhai Amrik Singh, Sant Kartar Singh's son, was studying at Khalsa College in Amritsar when someone complained to Sant jee that he would eat food in the College cafeteria. Sant jee said that it was against Rehit to eat from just anywhere and this may have a bad influence on others. Sant jee wrote to Bhai Amrik Singh from Calcutta, where he was doing parchaar:

Ik Oankaar Sri Vahiguru Jee Kee Fateh

Young Harbhajan Singh [bhai Amrik Singh was called Harbhajan Singh in the Jatha], please accept my Gur Fateh. The Jatha is happy and I hope you are also doing well. I sent a letter to our village but have not received a reply. The Jatha will leave Calcutta on 27 Fuggan to go to Sri Hazoor Sahib to celebrate Holla Mohalla and then there will be programs in Bombay.

I have heard that you are eating whatever from just any store. This is not right. Look at the honour of the Jatha, look at your own jeevan. I want you to make you a beautiful and strong preacher of Gurmat but you too must make your lifestyle high. I will be ashamed if someone says that Harbhajan Singh doesn't keep rehit, doesn't read bani and eats just anywhere. Don't make any mistakes. Study with attention and get good marks. Be sure to read bani, keep rehit and then your studying will be fruitful, otherwise not. What more should I write? You are smart and you will understand this to be enough. May Maharaj do kirpa on you and keep you in Chardi Kala.

Fateh from the entire Jatha. Send me a letter in your own hand and tell me about how things are going in the village.

Servant of the Guru-Kartar Singh 'Khalsa'

This letter was sent by hand through Baba Thara Singh who was to also personally tell Bhai Sahib not to eat anything from outside. and eat from Gursikhs.

Later on, Bhai Sahib stopped eating from the cafeteria and began eating at the home of a local Gursikh, Bhai Avtar Singh.

I just pointing that this is a rehat blessed by guru sahib. At to call it bahimnvaad doesn't seem right.

The Evidence - Sarbloh Rehat Bachan

Singh Sagar Granth is solely based on the life of Guru Gobind Singh Jee written in Brij language following on from the 'Bilas' parampara of writings. A copy of this Granth is kept at Moti Bagh Library Patiala ref no 102 it has 250 pages of content.

The evidence of Sarbloh Rehat appears in the 12th chapter of Chamkaur Judh. The Bachan of Sarbloh Rehat is given after meeting Pir Muhammad. Guru Gobind Singh Jee has been recorded to have said the following Vaach-Bachan

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਵਾਚ ਚੌਪਈ

ਤਬ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਇਹ ਵਾਕ ਉਚਾਰੇ ਹਾਲੀ ਜਾ ਜਬ ਖੇਤ ਮਝਾਰੇ I

ਸਰਬ ਲੋਹ ਕੀ ਫਾਲੀ ਭਈ I ਖੇਤ ਲੁਣਨ (ਕੱਟਣਾ) ਦਾਤੀ ਲੋਹ ਲਈ II ੭੭ II

ਗਾਹਿ ਨਾਜੁ ਜਬ ਮਿਣਨੇ ਲਾਰੋ ਮੁੰਦ੍ਰਾ(ਖਾਣਾ) ਲੋਹ ਮੇ ਪਗ ਲਤਾਰੋ I

ਤਾਸ ਤੀਆ ਜਬ ਛੜਨੈਂ ਗਈ I ਮੂਸਲ ਸਿਯਾਂਮ ਲੋਹ ਨਿਰਮਈ II ੭੮ II

ਚੱਕੀ ਲਗੀ ਪੀਸਣੈਂ ਦਾਣੇ I ਕਿੱਲੀ ਲੋਹ ਸਕਲ ਜਗੁ ਜਾਣੇ I

ਮੋਇ ਮੈਦਾ ਜਬ ਤਾਮੁ (ਭਾਂਡਾ) ਬਢਾਇਯੋ I ਸਰਬ ਲੋਹ ਕਾ ਤਵਾ ਤਪਾਇਯੋ II ੭੯ II

ਜਬੈ ਕੀਜੀਐ ਭੇਟ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਣਾ I ਤਬ ਹੀ ਹੋਤ ਰਵਾ (ਜਾਇਜ਼) ਯਾਹਿ ਖਾਂਣਾ I

ਜੇ ਜਗ ਮਾਂਹਿ ਮੁਰੀਦ ਹਮਾਰੇ I ਕਰਦ ਫੇਰ ਸਭ ਕਰਤ ਅਹਾਰੇ II ੮੦ II

Here Guru Gobind Singh Jee starts off by illustrating the role of a Farmer in his fields explaining that Sarbloh is the tool to employ for his Khalsa to carry out his routine in the same way a Farmer would use his tool to cut his fields. Guru Jee further explains that food needs to placed in Loh (Iron) and that Loh (Iron) is the medium in which negativity is crushed. Guru Jee also mentions the need to do Kripan Bhet in order to make the food worthy for consumption.

Orginal Script

virsinghbal1.jpg

Yes i 100% believe Sant Gurbachan Singh wouldn't accept such Langar, in those times Langar was made by Amritdharis everybody was Amritdhari, because that's how it was then. It wasn't like how Western Gurdwara are today.

Shahid Bhai Amrik Singh, Sant Kartar Singh's son, was studying at Khalsa College in Amritsar when someone complained to Sant jee that he would eat food in the College cafeteria.

In the jatha, everyone was amrtidhari, so obviously Sant Gurbachan Singh ate there. That is not the issue. What I asked was if Sant Gurbachan Singh would have refused Langar of Darbar Sahib. I dont beleive that he would refuse Guru Ji's langar. Imagine, the centre of Sikhi, the great pillar of our faith, Sachkhand, the most high, most great Darbar, that the world will ever know, but some Sikhs beleive that hey are above taking langar from there.

And as for Bhai Amrik Singh story, eating from any cafe is not the same as eating from Darbar Sahib. Dont sidestep the question/issue.

Kulbir Veerji, excellent knowledge and lessons to be learned from the khazana you just shared with cybersangat.

I am not a bibeki person yet, but certainly something to consider.

WHO SAYS internet and SIKHI don't go together, if put to good use like this where we share the sikhi wealth.

There is a sign at Siree Darbar Sahib stating only Amritdharis can do the Seva of making Langar.

If Some singhs don't eat that it up to them. Akali Kaur Singh never use to eat off anybody, he refuse to eat at Gurdwara Nanaka Sahib in the early 1900s (he was known as jathdar of all the nihangs) and always use to lead the procession at Holla Mohalla.

All sampardas are known to keep strict bibek pehar. Please do vichaar with Bhai Avtar Singh Bandi Kalan they are in the country. Or next time Baba Tarlok Singh they keep sarbloh pehar.

All sampardas are known to keep strict bibek pehar. Please do vichaar with Bhai Avtar Singh Bandi Kalan they are in the country. Or next time Baba Tarlok Singh they keep sarbloh pehar.

this is not about bibek pehar or sarbloh pehar, but about whether the avastha of some sikhs are too high to be able to take food from our Guru's Magnificent House.