Europe'S First Gurdwara Cancels Youth Camp

swordsedge

Guru Nanak Gurdwara in Smethwick was the first Gurdwara in Europe to be purchased for the sole use of worship by the Sikh community.

Now it is fast becomming a place where the old folks go to argue. A keen eye is not needed to see although the Committee think they're "expanding the Gurdwara" the building itself is infested with rats and there is no satkaar for GuruJi.

A Youth Camp was to be held but the President and his Cronies have cancelled it. My children and their friends are SO disappointed.

I know there's one being held in Wednesbury area but that is very far for local Sangat and Parents to take them daily. What's the point in having a Gurdwara if you're not going to allow youngsters to come and learn about Sikhi?

Majority of kids dont normally attend and are put off by these fat old men who sit at the front squabbling for the limelight. Isnt the one chance they get to understand their background is at Camps?

Please call or even better, visit the Gurdwara in person to ask them to explain themselves.

Guru Nanak Gurdwara,

High St,

Smethwick,

B66 3AP

0121 5582527

If the President & his Cronies don't like children learning about Sikhee let's please find them a place more suited to their interests like an Old folk's home or a Pub.

There was no camp that was ever going to take place at Smethwick Gurdwara. It was still in the planning process, I know because my friends were the ones that were planning it. There has obviously been some misunderstanding. It is no good if people just start spreading rumours.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• yeh it's true, we shouldn't be lazy and need to learn jhatka shikaar. It doesn't help some of grew up in surrounding areas like Slough and Southall where everyone thought it was super bad for amrit dharis to eat meat, and they were following Sant babas and jathas, and instead the Singhs should have been normalising jhatka just like the recent world war soldiers did. We are trying to rectifiy this and khalsa should learn jhatka.  But I am just writing about bhog for those that are still learning rehit. As I explained, there are all these negative influences in the panth that talk against rehit, but this shouldn't deter us from taking khanda pahul, no matter what level of rehit we are!
    • How is it going to help? The link is of a Sikh hunter. Fine, but what good does that do the lazy Sikh who ate khulla maas in a restaurant? By the way, for the OP, yes, it's against rehit to eat khulla maas.
    • Yeah, Sikhs should do bhog of food they eat. But the point of bhog is to only do bhog of food which is fit to be presented to Maharaj. It's not maryada to do bhog of khulla maas and pretend it's OK to eat. It's not. Come on, bro, you should know better than to bring this Sakhi into it. Is this Sikh in the restaurant accompanied by Guru Gobind Singh ji? Is he fighting a dharam yudh? Or is he merely filling his belly with the nearest restaurant?  Please don't make a mockery of our puratan Singhs' sacrifices by comparing them to lazy Sikhs who eat khulla maas.
    • Seriously?? The Dhadi is trying to be cute. For those who didn't get it, he said: "Some say Maharaj killed bakras (goats). Some say he cut the heads of the Panj Piyaras. The truth is that they weren't goats. It was she-goats (ਬਕਰੀਆਂ). He jhatka'd she-goats. Not he-goats." Wow. This is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard in relation to Sikhi.
    • Instead of a 9 inch or larger kirpan, take a smaller kirpan and put it (without gatra) inside your smaller turban and tie the turban tightly. This keeps a kirpan on your person without interfering with the massage or alarming the masseuse. I'm not talking about a trinket but rather an actual small kirpan that fits in a sheath (you'll have to search to find one). As for ahem, "problems", you could get a male masseuse. I don't know where you are, but in most places there are professional masseuses who actually know what they are doing and can really relieve your muscle pains.

Important Information

Terms of Use