Vegetarian Diet

Guest _learner singh wanna

Guest _learner singh wanna

hello

i have recently started eating a vegetarian diet. I dont understand why we arent allowed to eat eggs but can drink milk?? Both are from animals, life isnt killed in the production of either.

Somebody said that milk is different to eggs because it is essential for our diet (babies need milk to grow and develop) however, babies whom are lactose intolerant, therefore allergic to dairy products safely have soya milk as an alternative, which is derived from plants.

Eggs produced by chickens are non fertilised, and like milk production are a natural process for the animal. If we choose not to eat becuase of the living conditions and use of hormones on these animals, then shouldnt we also avoid cow milk. Why arent we all drinking soya milk rather than cow milk, is it not the lesser of two evils?

this is not a meat debate. and i am genuinely wanting advice so that i can answer these questions in my mind.

thankyou

i am still a learner

The first thing a human consumes when it comes to this world is actually meat. Which is a mother's milk. :) Meat is basically any protein source derived from animals.

Both are meat actually. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT :) ...........

in the past eggs which humans consumed were fertilized, so it was same as killing a living thing before it has a chance to get life.(just like the sin of abortion). Now, you have unfertilized eggs, but these are due to humans manipulating mother nature using science.

Regarding eating man made unfertilized eggs. As yourself a simple question, what is the purpose God created that egg?

Consumption or for baby chicks to be conceived from it?

Its common sense, we humans wont consume our own ovum and sperm, then why do we want to consume the chickens ovum?

The word "KUTHA" actually means Killed. Any meat obtained from KILLING other living things is forbidden in Gurmat. This shabad in SriGuru Granth Sahib ji further cements this asool of Gurmat:

ਜੀਅ ਬਧਹੁ ਸੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਅਧਰਮੁ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਤ ਭਾਈ ॥

ਆਪਸ ਕਉ ਮੁਨਿਵਰ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਕਾ ਕਉ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਸਾਈ ॥੨॥ ( ang 1103 )

You kill living beings, and call it a righteous action. (those who justify meat eating of killed living beings are being criticized by Guru ji here )

Tell me, brother, what would you call an unrighteous action?

You call yourself the most excellent sage; then who would you call a butcher? ((2))

But, some people in the panth have misinterpreted the word "KUTHA" due to their lack of understanding and ...wallllaaaaaaaa :rolleyes: the meat controversy in the Panth began! :sleep:

Gursikhs are lacto-vegetarians. :) Those who dont eat meat of any kind and only consume milk and honey.

Forgive me if I was wrong anywhere.......

Well I personally find Eggs disgusting because they are a chickens period. But I think the reason why we dont eat Eggs is because Egg can be fertilized but Milk cannot.

Well explained.. i think a lot of people do not know the difference between fertilised and non-fertilised.

but yeh.. your knocking back a chickens period..waste product.. a bit like <banned word filter activated>

For me, I just think baby chickens are born out of eggs, although these ones are not fertilised.

Milk on the other hand is just milk, its not an 'egg' out of which a baby would be able to hatch.

To eat an egg for me feels wrong intuitively so I go with that gut feeling- the same feeling that tells me right from wrong.

Well done on starting out, and excellent points made by everyone! Just follow Rehit and you cant go wrong

http://damdamitaksaal.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=33&showall=1

We are trying to eradicate our karma and so adding to it by eating killed things, messing with nature for unnecessary results, will just add to our accounts so we avoid such behaviour whenever possible as it means we have to work even harder to reach Mukhti. However in the dire situation where our survival is necessary for the betterment of the Panth then eating whatever you can find has been acceptable in the past. However vegetarian options and rations are so common and easily tinned and preserved these days I hope that means we will never again have to stoop to eating meat even in times of desperation and war.