Singh & Mp3?

Hanu

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa

Wahegur ji ki Fateh

Is it appropriate for a Singh/Kaur to be listening to their headphones while walking, on train, in laundermat, etc., instead of looking out for those possibly in need of help and repeating God's name? Frankly, it doesn't look good, but sometimes the urge for that dhol beat is irresistible. Are there any regulations I should be following?

Thank you very much for your thoughtful advice.

VJKK VJKF

I was reading this post and was thinking whats wrong with listening to your mp3s whilst walking? Because there literally is nothing wrong in doing that, but then i read the part that says 'sometimes the urge for that dhol beat is irresistable'... thats the part thats wrong.. listening to bhangra, a sikh should not listen to bhangra because it has no use to their human life or our spirituality. These songs usually have manmat (wrong) teachings (teachings that go against sikhi) in there such as saying girls, drink and ego is all good, when we know its not good one bit. Listening to bhangra is worsening our life. So listening to keertan with earphones is great, but listening to bhangra is totally not great.

Sorry for any mistakes I may have made.

VJKK VJKF

I don't think another person should tell you what is right and wrong, the basics you should know and gurbani shall guide you to find your own decision. When you make the decision on your own you find meaning and power in your choice.

Personally, I used to listen to punjabi music, I liked the dhol beat as well (heck I even play the dhol, i don't 'play' the dhol for anyone or any function. It's just an interest). However, I don't like punjabi music because there is no spiritual benefits, it's more poison than anything, it promotes simple level thinking and doesn't allow for any intellectual or spiritual growth whatsoever.

If you like an instrument there's other ways to enjoy it, just a top of the head dhol beat with something chardi kalaa involved:

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa

Wahegur ji ki Fateh

Is it appropriate for a Singh/Kaur to be listening to their headphones while walking, on train, in laundermat, etc., instead of looking out for those possibly in need of help and repeating God's name? Frankly, it doesn't look good, but sometimes the urge for that dhol beat is irresistible. Are there any regulations I should be following?

Thank you very much for your thoughtful advice.

LOL! who cares what looks good, i dont think in the end gods going to judge you by what people thought of you.

and i dont think anyones going to get snuffed for laundry detergent at at laundermat anytime soon. so you should be good.

Very good advice, thank you.

VJKK VJKF

I was reading this post and was thinking whats wrong with listening to your mp3s whilst walking? Because there literally is nothing wrong in doing that, but then i read the part that says 'sometimes the urge for that dhol beat is irresistable'... thats the part thats wrong.. listening to bhangra, a sikh should not listen to bhangra because it has no use to their human life or our spirituality. These songs usually have manmat (wrong) teachings (teachings that go against sikhi) in there such as saying girls, drink and ego is all good, when we know its not good one bit. Listening to bhangra is worsening our life. So listening to keertan with earphones is great, but listening to bhangra is totally not great.

Sorry for any mistakes I may have made.

VJKK VJKF

That was a very good beat. Thank you. Thank you for the good thoughts. I agree, a lot of modern Panjabi music is degrading or at least mind-numbing, but I am a rhythm freak, always looking for that dhol or dholika to boost me up. Maybe I can find some recordings of the kind you posted. Don't get me wrong, though I have recordings of kirtan music and listen to that too.

I don't think another person should tell you what is right and wrong, the basics you should know and gurbani shall guide you to find your own decision. When you make the decision on your own you find meaning and power in your choice.

Personally, I used to listen to punjabi music, I liked the dhol beat as well (heck I even play the dhol, i don't 'play' the dhol for anyone or any function. It's just an interest). However, I don't like punjabi music because there is no spiritual benefits, it's more poison than anything, it promotes simple level thinking and doesn't allow for any intellectual or spiritual growth whatsoever.

If you like an instrument there's other ways to enjoy it, just a top of the head dhol beat with something chardi kalaa involved:

LOL! But what about the fabric softener? Thank you for your insightful reply.

LOL! who cares what looks good, i dont think in the end gods going to judge you by what people thought of you.

and i dont think anyones going to get snuffed for laundry detergent at at laundermat anytime soon. so you should be good.