How Can We Revive Our Original Shastar Vidiya ?

Guest SarabjeetSingh

I agree with KhalistanGunMan, their should be a definite attempt to revive the martial art. But learning modern weaponary should be a priority too,

comparing gatka or martial arts in general with firearms is dumb, no matter how many years of training, there is no comparison between being able to kill somone a few yards away and being able to kill someone a kilometer away.

relatively easy to fire a gun???...brother are you kidding...it takes years of firing on the shooting range to become a expert shooter...just like it takes years of practising to wield a sword to become a master in swordsmanship...LOL

You can't really compare becoming a master swordsman to becoming an expert shooter really...i agree it takes a long time. With that said to become a qualified marine in the states (or in the army) you have 13 weeks of training.

For becoming a marine sniper (one of the most elite sniping institutions in the world) it takes 5 weeks with the prerequisites/

Guest SarabjeetSingh

my comment was not in disrespect of old shastar but i was tryin to make a point....i would like to ask a question..is the khalsa a army in name only or in practice???....are we capable millitarily of taking on a millitary of a world power...just like in the past our ancestors fought the mughal armies and the armies of the durrani empire...sword vs sword...musket vs musket...cannon vs cannon...spear vs spear....im just asking are we preaperd and capable of taking on armies who wield modern weapons which can casue mass destruction and death with only swords, spears, daggers and arrows...i am not questiononing the kirpan our beloved father gave us...a dagger or a small sword will always be the last defence a soldier has...it is part of our uniform and will never disappear but i am questioning our knowledge and willingness to adopt modern weapon of our time...our battlefield tactics..and equipment should be keeping up with our enemies..otherwise we are sitting ducks...im sure when laser guns or a futurisitc weapon is created by the will of waheguru..we wont be hanging onto our outdated and rusty AK47s...lol....people seem to forget shastar vidya..science of weapons...does not belong in the past..it involves not only old shastar..but shastar of the present time..and shastar of the future aswell...learning how to fire/clean/disassemble/reassemble an assault rifle can also be deemed shastar vidya...learning how to manafacture IEDs can also be deemed shastar vidya...is that not right?

You have a valid query there . But , Kirpan must be having something special about it . Otherwise , guru would have never given that to us

this is the problem brother we have not progressed millitarily...warfare is a progressive art ...if it wasnt for maharaja ranjit singhs millitary reforms during the early 1800s we would have been swepts aside by the british during both anglo sikh wars...maharaja ranjit singh knew the imporatnce of modernising an army that is the reason during his lifetime the raj was very powerful...i think we need to lean from our own history

Go to Niddar Singhs Shastar Vidiya classes, he is the only remaining gurdev available to teach this ancient art of the akali nihang singhs. Gatka is far from this.

I guarantee he is NOT, that maybe something they want you to think. Or maybe they think that themselves.

• 1 month later...

LOL like the modern enemies of the sikhs are really going to fight us using swords and spears?....a martial art should be learnt for basic self defense...but we need to master the gun to stand a chance martially in the modern world...

The only 'weapon' the Sikhs need to hone is their brain. We've seen countless times in recent history that any attempt by a minority to defend themselves, is immediately construed as terrorism or insurgence or such nonsense. Although I do agree Sikhs keep alive these traditional martial arts that Guru Gobind Singh Ji encouraged, the time of swords and spears - in actual combat - has long gone.

In order to engage our enemies we must exercise our brains and sharpen our intellect, because the swines (forgive me) who will have us subjugated will no doubt want to see us shoot ourselves in the foot, as it were, by starting the fight which will give them a reason to come down hard on the perpertrators.

But yes, I completely agree that the methods of the original Shashtar Vidiya must not be forgotten to history. You never know when it might be useful.